What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Different ways to pick draft order (1 Viewer)

ballhawk

Footballguy
I'm looking for "out of the box" ideas to pick our draft order. We have done the poker chips with numbers, picking playing cards and names out of a hat and the random roll of the dice. Anyone do something that is different and can be fun for all?

A couple ideas we have come up with so far is:

Golf chipping contest (we all golf in the league)

NFL spelling bee (pick some NFL players and see who is the best at spelling)

Just pick a number for the state pick 3 game on a certain night. Closest gets first pick of pick slot.

Bingo... Darts...

frisbee golf, closest to tee from some X distance to furthest from tee... (probably like your normal golf idea)

treasure hunt ( easter egg hunt! lol just popped into my head. have picks 1-12 randomly in a dozen eggs and have them randomly hidden by the wives )

I have a friend and they play Texas Holdem. They all throw in $20 to play in the poker tournament. First one out picks last. Last one out picks first and their league entry fee is paid for. It makes for a cool draft party.

Bingo... Darts...frisbee golf, closest to tee from some X distance to furthest from tee... (probably like your normal golf idea)treasure hunt ( easter egg hunt! lol just popped into my head. have picks 1-12 randomly in a dozen eggs and have them randomly hidden by the wives )
All good ideas. I really like the treasure hunt one. Just crazy enough to work!

Time how long it takes each guy to down a pint. Picks in order of fastest to slowest time.

edit: pint of beer, of course

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the way they did it on that FX show THE LEAGUE....they had a kids birthday party with a potato sack race and they all drew a number from a hat, not for the order but for coinciding with the number of the kids in the race and the outcome of the potato sack race dictated their order......it was awesome.

If this is an existing league, I did a lottery similar to the NBA draft lottery. There are 1,001 unique four-digit combinations using the numbers from 1 to 14. (Unique means 1-2-3-4 is the same as 2-1-3-4).

Eliminating one combination, using simple math, leaves you with 1,000 unique combinations. Then it was a matter of determining how many unique combinations were assigned to each team. The league-winning team had the fewest while the team with the worst record had the most. (NOTE: With 1,000 combinations, it's easy to assign a certain percentage to each team.)

Sometime before draft day, we'd get together over dinner or beers and we would have playing cards from ace (1) to king (13) and one joker (14). Four owners would randomly draw one card, and the owner associated with that particular combination got the first pick. So, if the nine, queen, ace and three were drawn, the combination would be 1-3-9-12 and the owner with that combination hit the lottery jackpot and got #1 overall.

We would usually do the first four picks by this method then go by record. (This means the team with the worst record from the previous season couldn't pick lower than fifth in the first round.)

We've since moved to an auction format, but this was a fun (and fair) way of choosing drat order!

Last edited by a moderator:
Draft your draft slot. Worst team from last year goes first. Adds another layer of strategy and good way to get folks talking football in the offseason.

This year, we went a totally different route.

All of our team owners filled out a march madness bracket, and each owner got to choose their draft spot based on where hey finished in the bracket.

For example......the winner chose first, second place....2nd, ect., ect.

The owner who finished last just had to take what was left.

Kinda keeps owners involved during the off season.

treasure hunt ( easter egg hunt! lol just popped into my head. have picks 1-12 randomly in a dozen eggs and have them randomly hidden by the wives )
Put each owner's name in a plastic egg, and put them in a bag.Place a second group of eggs on the floor in a pile, each containing a number for draft slot.Step 1) Have an owner draw an egg from the bag, open it and read the name.Step 2) Have a dog fetch an egg in the number pile on the floor.The number/name combo for that round are that team's draft slot.Rotate owners drawing eggs for each fetch until the process is complete....and then reward the dog with a milk bone for his efforts.

I like the Draft your Draft slot concept. Texas Hold'em is also pretty cool. My league just does the random draw a number out of a hat deal, but I'd love to implement the reverse order of finish draft slotting.

Spelling Bee? Seriously? NFL Trivia I could go for, but spelling?

My league drew the numbers using one of the random generators, but instead of that being the draft order, the draft order was selected by the owners with high number picking his draft slot first, then second high picking his slot second, and so on.

Ever heard of Kentucky Derby Style? NFBC (and I assume, NFFC) uses it. I used it for my baseball league this year and it worked really well.

Actually, it is basically the same as what Anthony is suggesting. People get their preference of draft pick. As it turned out in my baseball league, 11 of 15 guys got one of their top 5 preferences. Five guys got their 1st choice.

I'm looking for "out of the box" ideas to pick our draft order. We have done the poker chips with numbers, picking playing cards and names out of a hat and the random roll of the dice. Anyone do something that is different and can be fun for all?A couple ideas we have come up with so far is:Golf chipping contest (we all golf in the league)NFL spelling bee (pick some NFL players and see who is the best at spelling)
Well you and your leaguemates can choose whatever floats your boat for this year.....but going forward, shouldn't you be rewarding the best non-money finish from the previous year? This also keeps everyone playing all year long because they can improve their draft position.For example in a twelve team league that pays four places, the draft order would be5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,4,3,2,1

Captain Hook said:
I'm looking for "out of the box" ideas to pick our draft order. We have done the poker chips with numbers, picking playing cards and names out of a hat and the random roll of the dice. Anyone do something that is different and can be fun for all?A couple ideas we have come up with so far is:Golf chipping contest (we all golf in the league)NFL spelling bee (pick some NFL players and see who is the best at spelling)
Well you and your leaguemates can choose whatever floats your boat for this year.....but going forward, shouldn't you be rewarding the best non-money finish from the previous year? This also keeps everyone playing all year long because they can improve their draft position.For example in a twelve team league that pays four places, the draft order would be5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,4,3,2,1
I agree, you don't want teams to tank the end of the year. My league has lots of rules in place to positively incentivize no-tanking. One of them is that the non-playoff teams get their rookie draft slot determined by lottery (not weighted). The 6 playoff teams are slotted in inverse order.You can take this and either slot draft order or do a Draft your Draft order draft.

Ping Pong balls in the trophy and start with Mr. Irrelavant (drawn by last seasons owner) and work your way up to #1 drawing pick by pick. Takes about 30 minutes with 12 teams and lots of trash talking to start and gets more serious as you get closer to #1.

I have a friend and they play Texas Holdem. They all throw in $20 to play in the poker tournament. First one out picks last. Last one out picks first and their league entry fee is paid for. It makes for a cool draft party.
I love that idea.

I know someone that had a "Draft Combine". They essentially set up a series of events like 40 yd dash, cone, vertical, etc. with scores for each. Draft order was based on those scores.

Put each owner's name in a plastic egg, and put them in a bag.Place a second group of eggs on the floor in a pile, each containing a number for draft slot.Step 1) Have an owner draw an egg from the bag, open it and read the name.Step 2) Have a dog fetch an egg in the number pile on the floor.The number/name combo for that round are that team's draft slot.Rotate owners drawing eggs for each fetch until the process is complete....and then reward the dog with a milk bone for his efforts.
We were going to to this but the dog though it over-engineered. Instead of fetching an egg he just licked his beans.So we drafted our draft slot.

Users who are viewing this thread