What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's up with Kuechly? (1 Viewer)

traveller01

Footballguy
Early on he was posting very good numbers, as expected. But last week against SEA he only had 4 tackles and last night against NO he only had 2. I need more than that from my stud LB.

Is this another case of home field scorers screwing their own players (like SEA)? Is he hurt? Has there been some personnel or scheme change that's responsible for the drop off? Or am I just getting hosed by random variation?

Kuechly is the #1 scoring LB in FBG's scoring (and most likely any other scoring format for that matter). Overreact to a bad game much?

I'd say your stud LB is doing just fine...

Last edited by a moderator:
No, he was ejected the week before the Seattle game.

On last week's IDP podcast, Norton said that most MLB got 4 or less solo tackles vs Seattle this year. He finished with 4 solo tackles.

He had 2 solos and 6 assists last night for 8 tackles. 7 of those came in the first half. He was playing well so the Saints started running outside the tackles in the second half to avoid him as much as they could.

As for the stadium impact, Carolina's crew isn't great. They rank 31st in terms of solos awarded per tackle opportunity, but they usually make up for that a bit by handing out lots of assists (rank 4th in assists per tackle opp). If solos are worth twice as much as assists though, I rank them among the bottom third for fantasy purposes.

Last night for example:

Panthers defense had 63 tackle opportunities on defense and wound up with 47 solos/22 assists (69 tackles total).

Saints defense had 37 tackle opportunities on defense and wound up with 25 solos/20 assists (45 tackles total).

Combined, that means 114 tackles were handed out on 100 tackle opportunities. That's below their normal rate of about 1.2.

Thanks Aaron. Thanks Ashem. That's the kind of analysis I was looking for.

I'm glad the rest of you guys still have your sense of humor intact halfway through the season. Relax. I'm not dropping him, not benching him, just looking at numbers and asking questions. Fact is, you'd have to go back to the first 2 games of his rookie season to find him posting a two game stretch like this. It's not like him. His worst game last year (1 point) was sandwiched between 13 and 14 point games.

And for what it's worth, he's the #11 ranked LB in our scoring system. We get no points for assists.

Anyway, thanks for the input everybody.

Traveler - I think guys are trying to give you a wake up call in the best natured way possible... anyone with serious reservations about Kuechly is either a noob, over reacting or simply out of their depth. And that's even arbitrary scoring systems aside.

Focus on the message if you want to get better at IDP, not how it's delivered. These guys are veterans here and know what they are talking about.

Good luck the rest of the season.

Thanks for the advice J Giles Band. But I wasn't really trying to get better at IDP. Not a noob. Been playing IDP for about 14 years. Out of my depth? I usually finish in the top 2 in my league in defensive points. Overreacting? Well, somebody is, but I'm not sure it's me. I'm just looking at numbers and asking questions. That is what we do in fantasy football, right?

Kuechly posts uncharacteristic back-to-back weak games. I'm wondering what's up with that, so I ask for insights from the forum. That's what the forum's for, right? So far so good. I got some answers. But not all answers are equally useful (you have to know that with over 1,000 posts), so I'll pick the ones that help me the most. I'm sure you do the same.

If my attempts to be a little humorous weren't funny, that's my bad. But if my post sounds like I have serious reservations about Kuechly you're either a bad reader, over reacting or out of your depth.

I never said Kuechly's a bust or that I'm dropping him or that my season is ruined or that the world is ending. All I did was ask what could be behind his stutter. My original post includes the possibility that this is just random variation. That's what the "veterans" are saying, right? So it's all good.

Good luck the rest of the season.

Sorry if you got your feelings hurt Trav... but even having to ask about Kuechly was an indictment, sorry man. Just own it.

And thanks for the tidbit on your IDP success. Please keep us posted! :thumbup:

Anyone playing 14 years of fantasy football should realize that even the best have ups and downs. Especially with that large a sample size. Kuechly IS human you know. Reminds me of another player who had a string of low scoring affairs. I made a move for him and bought low. The player then went on to top nearly 2000 yards receiving that year. His name was Calvin Johnson. As Aaron Rodgers would say...R-E-L-A-X. Wasn't there a J.J. Watts thread similar in nature?

Curious, I'm considering trading Kuechly in a dynasty league (12 teams, balanced 1 point tackle, .5 assist, 2 points for sacks, etc) but I'm having a hard time assessing his value. Right now I'm being offered a 2nd round pick in 2015 from a contending team, so i assume it will be a late round pick. I feel like i need to get more for him. We start up to 3 LBs and below are my LBs. I think I can afford to let him go with this bunch. Any help is much appreciated thank you

Barr, Anthony MIN LB 81.08 10 Collins, Jamie NEP LB 60.62 10 Kendricks, Mychal PHI LB 31.50 7 Kuechly, Luke CAR LB 86.50 12 Mosley, C.J. BAL LB 85.16 11 Williamson, Avery TEN LB 44.72 9

Curious, I'm considering trading Kuechly in a dynasty league (12 teams, balanced 1 point tackle, .5 assist, 2 points for sacks, etc) but I'm having a hard time assessing his value. Right now I'm being offered a 2nd round pick in 2015 from a contending team, so i assume it will be a late round pick. I feel like i need to get more for him. We start up to 3 LBs and below are my LBs. I think I can afford to let him go with this bunch. Any help is much appreciated thank you

Barr, Anthony MIN LB 81.08 10 Collins, Jamie NEP LB 60.62 10 Kendricks, Mychal PHI LB 31.50 7 Kuechly, Luke CAR LB 86.50 12 Mosley, C.J. BAL LB 85.16 11 Williamson, Avery TEN LB 44.72 9
Hard to know without assessing how defense is valued in your league. In ours, Mosley was the first lber taken at 1.16. Kuechly was traded during the draft for the 1.07 straight up.

Hard to know without assessing how defense is valued in your league. In ours, Mosley was the first lber taken at 1.16. Kuechly was traded during the draft for the 1.07 straight up.
Thanks for the reply. To help provide more context, first IDP to go in our 2014 draft was Ryan Shazier @ 2.8. I was able to draft Mosley @ 3.9. As far as other IDP trades go, There have been a few LB trades, but nothing more than a 2015 3rd rounder for Woodyard at the beginning of the season to a team decimated by injury.

I feel like most owners in our league undervalue IDPs compared to others. The general consensus is that you can find replacements on the wire. This year, a few owners are struggling with injuries so I am trying to capitalize. However, I'm not going to sell low now just because I have depth and rebuilding my RB and WRs.

We start 1 DL, 2 LBs, 1 Safety, 1 CB, 1 def flex (which is usually a LB).

Users who are viewing this thread