What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2014 NFL Draft thread (1 Viewer)

GregR

Footballguy
EDIT TO ADD: To jump to discussion starting the hour before the first round begins, click this link.

"With the first pick in the 2014 NFL draft...."

Draft order is shaping up now. Texans and Rams (via Washington) look like the top two. I'll update this post occasionally with new information or links.

So... Bridgewater? Rams trade down or BPA? Any other QB who will work his way up into the top few picks? Teams who should look to trade up?

Whatcha got?

Lists of Underclassman who have declared for the Draft (some may only contain official declarations)
DraftCountdown.com's underclassmen list
ESPN underclassmen list

2014 NFL Draft Order

Code:
No. 	Team                    W-L 	SOS1. 	Houston Texans 	        2-14 	.5592. 	St. Louis Rams** 	7-9 	.5513. 	Jacksonville Jaguars 	4-12 	.5044. 	Cleveland Browns 	4-12 	.5165. 	Oakland Raiders 	4-12 	.5236. 	Atlanta Falcons 	4-12 	.5537. 	Tampa Bay Buccaneers 	4-12 	.5748. 	Minnesota Vikings 	5-10-1 	.5129. 	Buffalo Bills           6-10 	.52010. 	Detroit Lions 	        7-9 	.45711. 	Tennessee Titans 	7-9 	.50412. 	New York Giants 	7-9 	.52013. 	St. Louis Rams 	        7-9 	.55114. 	Chicago Bears 	        8-8 	.46515. 	Pittsburgh Steelers 	8-8 	.469t-16. 	Baltimore Ravens^ 	8-8 	.484t-16. 	Dallas Cowboys^ 	8-8 	.48418. 	New York Jets 	        8-8 	.48819. 	Miami Dolphins 	        8-8 	.52320. 	Arizona Cardinals 	10-6 	.53121. 	Green Bay Packers 	8-7-1 	.45322. 	Philadelphia Eagles 	10-6 	.45323. 	Kansas City Chiefs 	11-5 	.44524. 	Cincinnati Bengals 	11-5 	.480

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing how close StL came to getting the first pick of the draft. Had HOU won yesterday (and, playing TEN, it was not a gimme that they lose) it would have happened.

Bridgewater will go #1 I'd almost lock that in right now.

I suspect St. L will look to trade out of the #2 pick and the player to go in that slot would be Clowney but who know what will happen to his draft stock with some of the circus that is going to happen.

Other than Clowney and Bridgewater, who are the top prospects supposed to be? I haven't been following any of this yet, so I'm totally in the dark.

Draft is in May this year, right?
yea :kicksrock:

The 2014 NFL Draft will be the 79th annual meeting of National Football League (NFL) franchises to select newly eligible football players. The draft, officially called the "NFL Players Selection Meeting", will be held at Radio City Music Hall in New York City on May 8–10, 2014.

Other than Clowney and Bridgewater, who are the top prospects supposed to be? I haven't been following any of this yet, so I'm totally in the dark.
Bridgewater, Clowney, Jake Matthews, Blake Bortles, Sammy Watkins and Anthony Barr are pretty universally seen in the top 10.

Wow, just realized that Det went from a playoff team 2 weeks ago to a team picking in the top 10.

I think Bridgewater's stock will fall once they get a good look at him in Indy and/or the media catch up with actual NFL evaluations.

Johnny Manziel should go number one to the Texans. He won't, they'll take Bridgewater and Manziel will fall to Jacksonville.

St. Louis will take Jake Matthews at number 2 unless someone really wants Clowney and is willing to give up the farm for that pick.

Oakland, who is notoriously stupid, will probably take Bortles when they should take Clowney.

Manziel will fall to 4th and go to Jax.

Atlanta will end up with Clowney simply because Oakland is dumb.

Johnny Manziel should go number one to the Texans. He won't, they'll take Bridgewater and Manziel will fall to Jacksonville.

St. Louis will take Jake Matthews at number 2 unless someone really wants Clowney and is willing to give up the farm for that pick.

Oakland, who is notoriously stupid, will probably take Bortles when they should take Clowney.

Draft order is

Houston

St. Louis

Jacksonville

Cleveland

Oakland

Atlanta

I would expect someone to climb up to get Clowney at 1.2 unless St. Louis is really locked in on someone they think will not last long if they trade down.

Bridgewater, Clowney, Jake Matthews, Blake Bortles, Sammy Watkins and Anthony Barr are pretty universally seen in the top 10.
I don't know about Bortles being "universally" in the top 10. He's only recently been talked about as a 1st rounder at all.

Are there any safeties worth the 14th pick? The Bears are in dire need if they can't pick up an FA.

I suspect St. L will look to trade out of the #2 pick and the player to go in that slot would be Clowney but who know what will happen to his draft stock with some of the circus that is going to happen.
The only thing that would make me think differently about this would be if the Texans signed Jay Cutler to a contract as Cutler is able to be a free agent this year.

Some of the top prospects at each position.

QB

Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville

Derek Carr, Fresno State

Blake Bortles, Central Florida

Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M

RB

Bishop Sankey, Washington

Lache Seastruck, Baylor

KaDeem Carey, Arizona

WR

Sammy Watkins, Clemson

Marqise Lee, USC

Mike Evens, Texas A&M

Davante Adams, Fresno State

Brandin Cooks, Oregon State

Allen Robinson, Penn State

TE

Jace Amaro, Texas Tech

Eric Ebron, UNC

Austin Seferian Jenkins, Washington

T

Jake Mathews, Texas A&M

Greg Robinson, Auburn

Cyrus Kouandjio, Bama

Taylor Lewan, Michigan

Cameron Erving, Florida State

Antonio Richardson, Tennessee

James Hurst, UNC

G

Gabe Jackson, Mississippi State

Cyril Richardson, Baylor

Davis Yankey, Stanford

DE

Jadeveon Clowny, South Carolina

Anthony Barr, UCLA

Kyle Van Noy, BYU

Scott Crichton, Oregon State

DT

Luis Nix, Notre Dame

Ra'Shede Hageman, Minnesota

Timmy Jernigan, Florida State

Stephon Tuitt, Notre Dame

OLB

Khalil Mack, Buffalo

Vic Beasley, Clemson

Adrian Hubbard, Bama

ILB

CJ Mosely, Bama

Ryan Shazier, Ohio State

AJ Johnson, Tennessee

S

Haha Clinton-Dix, Bama

Lamarcus Joyner, Florida State

Craig Loston, LSU

CB

Justin Gilbert, Oklahoma State

Darqueze Dennard, MSU

Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Oregon

Aaron Colvin, Oklahoma

The only thing that would make me think differently about this would be if the Texans signed Jay Cutler to a contract as Cutler is able to be a free agent this year.
If the Bears don't resign him, and any of the teams in the top 8 sign Cutler, then it will greatly impact the draft.

Houston is an interesting choice seeing as I still believe they are not nearly as bad as their record indicates.

Then again, I don't know how much on the hook they are for Schaub, so that could determine if they want to sign cutler to big Money, or draft a Rookie QB with a limited guarantee salary.

Draft order is

Houston

St. Louis

Jacksonville

Cleveland

Oakland

Atlanta

I would expect someone to climb up to get Clowney at 1.2 unless St. Louis is really locked in on someone they think will not last long if they trade down.
forgot about Cleveland.

Rumor has it that the Browns want Josh McDaniels-OC Patriots to be their next head coach. If that is true, I would see Cleveland going QB at 1.04.

I'd like to see the Rams take a QB to battle with Bradford. They aren't going to win that division without good QB play. Bradford is still a question mark.

Draft order is

Houston

St. Louis

Jacksonville

Cleveland

Oakland

Atlanta

forgot about Cleveland.

Rumor has it that the Browns want Josh McDaniels-OC Patriots to be their next head coach. If that is true, I would see Cleveland going QB at 1.04.
No not McDaniels.

Banner is even dumber than I thought if he hires McDaniels.

Watch Banner hire McDaniels and draft Carr at 1.04, I will be done watching this stupid team until Banner is gone if that happens.

Draft order is

Houston

St. Louis

Jacksonville

Cleveland

Oakland

Atlanta

forgot about Cleveland.

can Tebow be redrafted?

Wow, just realized that Det went from a playoff team 2 weeks ago to a team picking in the top 10.
yeah similiar deals with the steelers and bears

steelers a fg attempt from the playoffs to pick 15 isnt all bad.

same with bears, a 4th and 8 away from the playoffs to pick 13.

while the playoffs is obviously its not a bad consolation prize compared to picking at 19

Draft order isHouston

St. Louis

Jacksonville

Cleveland

Oakland

Atlanta

forgot about Cleveland.

can Tebow be redrafted?
Crap, you beat me to the Tebow comment.

Amazing how close StL came to getting the first pick of the draft. Had HOU won yesterday (and, playing TEN, it was not a gimme that they lose) it would have happened.
The Falcons were one 2 point conversion away from the #2 pick. In the ATL/WAS game, when the Skins went for 2 instead of the tie, if they had made it, the Falcons would have the #2 pick.

yeah similiar deals with the steelers and bears

steelers a fg attempt from the playoffs to pick 15 isnt all bad.

same with bears, a 4th and 8 away from the playoffs to pick 13.

while the playoffs is obviously its not a bad consolation prize compared to picking at 19
steelers were also about 2 inches of Antonio Brown's foot from beating the Dolphins, which would have put them into the playoffs.

looks like the Vikings "win" cost them the 1.03 pick vs the 1.08 that they ended up with.
looks like the Vikings "win" cost them the 1.03 pick vs the 1.08 that they ended up with.
I remember a few years back Dallas did the same thing on the last game of the year in a meanless game by winning.

Dropped them down several spots in the draft.

I guess coaches and players could care less about the draft pick. They are so focused on winning week to week.

In this case, it didn't save the coach's job!

This Bucs' fan wants Sammy Watkins.
Tampa Mike is off the radar now?
I'm sure he's very much on the radar. However, Williams is not a speed guy. Vincent Jackson will be 31.

If the Glazers decide not to blow the whole thing up this offseason, Watkins is a player who can fill in immediately to round out an extremely potent receiver corps with Tim Wright's emergence. Hopefully Carl Nicks and Doug Martin return healthy to the offense for 2014. Jackson, Williams, Watkins, Wright, and Martin would be in the conversation for "best group in the NFL." We'd learn rather quickly whether or not Glennon is the guy. If they're horrible again in 2014 then blow it up and draft your QB. Watkins would still be a #1 WR.

There's a small window right now where the Bucs have a good mix of young talent and veteran talent. I don't think their record this season mirrored the talent on the team. I'm hoping the Glazers give Schiano and Glennon one more year.

I wonder where Marqise Lee falls on teams' boards. Didn't have a great year and has been injured...but he's still talented.

Could see him as a Bill or Lion.

I wonder where Marqise Lee falls on teams' boards. Didn't have a great year and has been injured...but he's still talented.

Could see him as a Bill or Lion.
I was thinking about this as well. I could see Det taking him at 10 but maybe they like a guy like Evens or Adams more. Buf seems like an enigma every year. I can never figure out what they are planning.

This Bucs' fan wants Sammy Watkins.
Tampa Mike is off the radar now?
I'm sure he's very much on the radar. However, Williams is not a speed guy. Vincent Jackson will be 31.

If the Glazers decide not to blow the whole thing up this offseason, Watkins is a player who can fill in immediately to round out an extremely potent receiver corps with Tim Wright's emergence. Hopefully Carl Nicks and Doug Martin return healthy to the offense for 2014. Jackson, Williams, Watkins, Wright, and Martin would be in the conversation for "best group in the NFL." We'd learn rather quickly whether or not Glennon is the guy. If they're horrible again in 2014 then blow it up and draft your QB. Watkins would still be a #1 WR.

There's a small window right now where the Bucs have a good mix of young talent and veteran talent. I don't think their record this season mirrored the talent on the team. I'm hoping the Glazers give Schiano and Glennon one more year.
Nevermind.

If the Bears don't resign him, and any of the teams in the top 8 sign Cutler, then it will greatly impact the draft.

Houston is an interesting choice seeing as I still believe they are not nearly as bad as their record indicates.

Then again, I don't know how much on the hook they are for Schaub, so that could determine if they want to sign cutler to big Money, or draft a Rookie QB with a limited guarantee salary.
According to Spotrac's salary figures, if he's on the team he costs $14.5m against the cap. If he is cut he counts $10.5m against the cap. So cutting him essentially saves $4m versus keeping him. But he's still taking up 1/12 of the team's cap.

According to Spotrac's salary figures, if he's on the team he costs $14.5m against the cap. If he is cut he counts $10.5m against the cap. So cutting him essentially saves $4m versus keeping him. But he's still taking up 1/12 of the team's cap.
:thanks: then I'd say Cutler is out as rumors have him wanting, and probably getting, $16-$20m a year :eek:

:thanks: then I'd say Cutler is out as rumors have him wanting, and probably getting, $16-$20m a year :eek:
I forgot to mention... they can probably designate him as a post-June 1 cut which would allow them to split the cap hit with half in 2014 and half in 2015.

I still think signing Cutler is the wrong move though. If you can get a QB from the draft who gives you solid play quickly, it's a huge advantage in terms of the cap. As you say Cutler may get paid $16m plus. Andrew Luck by comparison has cap hits of $4m, $5m, $6m and $7m, and then a 5th year that would be average of the top ten at his position if the team wants to exercise their option.

I forgot to mention... they can probably designate him as a post-June 1 cut which would allow them to split the cap hit with half in 2014 and half in 2015.

I still think signing Cutler is the wrong move though. If you can get a QB from the draft who gives you solid play quickly, it's a huge advantage in terms of the cap. As you say Cutler may get paid $16m plus. Andrew Luck by comparison has cap hits of $4m, $5m, $6m and $7m, and then a 5th year that would be average of the top ten at his position if the team wants to exercise their option.
The way I read it the 2014 cap hit is only 10.5m, which is the 'Dead' number. They save 11m cash by cutting him. If they keep him 14.5m will hit the cap, 10m salary, 3.5m from the signing bonus already paid and the 1m in 'active game bonus'.

So as a designated June 1st casualty he would count 5.25m each in 2014 and 2015.

What are the cash vs cap rules for 2014? This could influence Texans spending in FA - but not necessarily on QB.

I can't believe I'm saying it, but if a top OL isn't there at #10, I could see Evans playing Alshon Jeffery in Detroit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread