What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sunday AM Notes Week 7 (1 Viewer)

Jene Bramel

Footballguy
http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article.php?article=14bramel_sundayAM_idp_7

Quick preview

Atlanta at Baltimore

Prince Shembo was probable with a knee injury last week, but played only on special teams. Mike Smith said Shembo didn't play due to concerns with the knee and limited practice time. Shembo was limited until Friday this week. There have been no updates on the depth chart this week. Watch the Falcons' Twitter sources for a possible tell this morning. If we can get confirmation of the plan, it's a great matchup to plug either Shembo or Bartu into your lineup.

The Ravens are healthy. No depth chart changes are expected. Lardarius Webb is off the injury report. He started last week and played nearly every down. If you've been sitting on him, this would be a solid matchup to break him into your lineup again.

Carolina at Green Bay

Antoine Cason and Marvin White started at cornerback last week. Josh Norman looks likely to return from a concussion today, which would send White back to a reserve role -- behind Charles Godfrey, who will be the slot corner.

Datone Jones is out today. That won't help the run defense, which is already struggling to get off blocks consistently and shut running backs down between the tackles. Jamari Lattimore is dealing with a neck injury. I expect we'll see more Brad Jones, but A.J. Hawk remains the lone every-down inside linebacker. Tramon Williams is questionable but will likely try to play through an ankle injury.

Cincinnati at Indianapolis

Vinny Rey starts at middle linebacker for Rey Maualuga. Emmanuel Lamur is doubtful with a shoulder injury. It appears the Bengals will likely go with Jason DiManche in the base defense and Taylor Mays in some nickel situations with Lamur out. That may limit Rey's upside today.

Arthur Jones fully practiced Friday and looks ready to return. He may play a limited role only, but should be healthy for future weeks.

I wish there was more analysis for each specific IDP player like there is for the offensive guys.

Like - why is Jelani Jenkins ranked the #3 LB this week? What is the rationale behind that? I want to start him based on your rankings, but my gut tells me to go with Timmons instead (who is some how ranked #41 - why? who knows!).

Am I missing something here?

I wish there was more analysis for each specific IDP player like there is for the offensive guys.

Like - why is Jelani Jenkins ranked the #3 LB this week? What is the rationale behind that? I want to start him based on your rankings, but my gut tells me to go with Timmons instead (who is some how ranked #41 - why? who knows!).

Am I missing something here?
You're not missing anything.

Purely on tackles, there's not much difference in these projections. 0.8 more solos and 0.2 more assists for Jenkins. John's giving Jenkins a higher big play and coverage expectation. The rush matchup for both players is very favorable. If you like Timmons better, there's no reason to override your gut on the basis of those tough to project peripheral stats.

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article.php?article=14bramel_sundayAM_idp_7

Quick preview

Vinny Rey starts at middle linebacker for Rey Maualuga. Emmanuel Lamur is doubtful with a shoulder injury. It appears the Bengals will likely go with Jason DiManche in the base defense and Taylor Mays in some nickel situations with Lamur out. That may limit Rey's upside today.
How does that limit Rey's upside? Wouldn't DiManche be replaced in the nickel with Mays? Are you saying DiManche+Burfict are the 3-down LBs today? Or do you expect a lot of dime?

Thanks Jene. I realize Norton does the rankings, but I appreciate your insight. I'm going to start Jenkins and hope for a big play or two.

I still don't understand how Norton ranks Jenkins 3 and Timmons 41 when they're so close together numbers wise. Anyway, thanks again.

Thanks Jene. I realize Norton does the rankings, but I appreciate your insight. I'm going to start Jenkins and hope for a big play or two.

I still don't understand how Norton ranks Jenkins 3 and Timmons 41 when they're so close together numbers wise. Anyway, thanks again.
The difference in Norton's projection for the two players is only 2 points. So they really aren't that far apart at all. I think part of what Jene was trying to say is don't fall prey to the rank #'s as the difference in the projections is minimal.

Make sense?

Quick preview

How does that limit Rey's upside? Wouldn't DiManche be replaced in the nickel with Mays? Are you saying DiManche+Burfict are the 3-down LBs today? Or do you expect a lot of dime?
Nickel backers = Burfict and mix of Rey/Mays. With Colts likely to spread offense frequently, I expect the split to be more Mays than Rey.

Projections /= rankings.

They're ordered from highest to lowest projection, but the difference between two ordinal rankings may not be representative. It's very rare that the difference in FBG 10-40 ranking is equal to what the difference in the numbers 10 and 40 really mean. In this case, as it so often is with defensive players when you're dealing with so many linebackers projected between 6 and 9 total tackles, there's not much difference among the players in the large 2nd and 3rd tiers.

Jon Bostic (Khaseem Greene starts) and Perry Riley (Will Compton starts) are inactive today, as is Josh Norman.

No other major depth chart changes of note.

Hearing a lot of Will Hill for Baltimore today, but I'm not ready to proclaim him a starter or every down player over Darian Stewart just yet. Something to watch, though.

Quick preview

Dimanche will most likely be the SLB today in base packages only. Burfict will be WLB and Rey the MLB. Once they move to nickel package, it will be either Rey or Mays on the field with Burfict. Burfict will most likely be the lone LB in the dime, which they most likely not play much of. The more I read says Mays is getting a shot to play nickel today. Jene is probably right on the money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jon Bostic (Khaseem Greene starts) and Perry Riley (Will Compton starts) are inactive today, as is Josh Norman.

Hearing a lot of Will Hill for Baltimore today, but I'm not ready to proclaim him a starter or every down player over Darian Stewart just yet. Something to watch, though.
Scratch that. Some tweets saying Keith Rivers warming up as 2nd team MLB with Preston Brown at SLB with the ones. We'll see if this holds during the game.

Quick preview

Dimanche will most likely be the SLB today in base packages only. Burfict will be WLB and Rey the MLB. Once they move to nickel package, it will be either Rey or Mays on the field with Burfict. Burfict will most likely be the lone LB in the dime, which they most likely not play much of. The more I read says Mays is getting a shot to play nickel today. Jene is probably right on the money.
Thanks. Guess my question now is when was Taylor Mays moved to LB? Call it dime, fine. Cut him for sucking, that's fine too. Call him an LB? That's just crazy.

Quick preview

Thanks. Guess my question now is when was Taylor Mays moved to LB? Call it dime, fine. Cut him for sucking, that's fine too. Call him an LB? That's just crazy.
Bengals seem to think he can successful in coverage against Allen/Fleener. At least that's the story in the local media... There aren't any linebackers on the roster -- including Rey, who was not close to as solid on the field as he was statistically last year -- that can handle that matchup. Iloka and Nelson aren't great either. Think they want to save Leon Hall for TY Hilton out of the slot.

I should have went with my gut. fml

:moneybag: :moneybag: :thanks:

yahoo has him at 29 TFL -- probably won me my week!

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread