What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fantasy Philosophy (1 Viewer)

BuckArcher

Footballguy
Hello guys, I'm new to the forum but I have been reading since preseason. I am in a family/friend league and wondering how you guys structure your leagues with defensive players and how different applications affect the way you draft and pick up players.

In my league:

Solo tack=2

Assist=1

Sack=4.5

Int=4

Fum forc=3

Fum Rec=4

Pass def=2

TD=6

Safety=10

Blk kick=8

As most fantasy leagues that have IDPs, LBs produce pretty consistently and then top tier def backs. What stat could I manipulate so more DL positions are filled?

The only solution I've come up with is a mandatory DL position which would require one and a possible bench. We play with offense and have 27 roster slots with 7 starting IDP open slots for any position. We try to run it so anyone can pick up a top tier player in the draft and be competitive.

I also have a question about slowing down Peyton, Luck, and Rodgers but I will refrain unless it's acceptable that we in entertain the idea with the understanding that we are a IDP heavy league as well.

My main objective is to create a more friendly DL league. We've been playing in this league for 6 years and everyone seems to enjoy it. I'm open for suggestions.

i'm in a dyntasy league that has postional requirements. you're required DT, DE, LB, CS and S. there is some flexibility in terms of how you configure them though (3-4-4 vs 4-3-4 vs 3-3-5, for ex). there is tweaking of points for types of plays made at each position. PD for DT or DE is higher than a CB/S too.

I like the thought of that. What website do you use? I would like to introduce offensive linemen if there is a website available for that. We have yet to find one though.

I like the thought of that. What website do you use? I would like to introduce offensive linemen if there is a website available for that. We have yet to find one though.
Myfantasyleague. i don't think i have seen a league that accounts for offensive linemen yet. Coaches, yes, but not offensive linemen.

Hello guys, I'm new to the forum but I have been reading since preseason. I am in a family/friend league and wondering how you guys structure your leagues with defensive players and how different applications affect the way you draft and pick up players.

In my league:

Solo tack=2

Assist=1

Sack=4.5

Int=4

Fum forc=3

Fum Rec=4

Pass def=2

TD=6

Safety=10

Blk kick=8

As most fantasy leagues that have IDPs, LBs produce pretty consistently and then top tier def backs. What stat could I manipulate so more DL positions are filled?

The only solution I've come up with is a mandatory DL position which would require one and a possible bench. We play with offense and have 27 roster slots with 7 starting IDP open slots for any position. We try to run it so anyone can pick up a top tier player in the draft and be competitive.

I also have a question about slowing down Peyton, Luck, and Rodgers but I will refrain unless it's acceptable that we in entertain the idea with the understanding that we are a IDP heavy league as well.

My main objective is to create a more friendly DL league. We've been playing in this league for 6 years and everyone seems to enjoy it. I'm open for suggestions.
1: add tackle for loss and put it at 3-4 points. It's not really any different than a sack anyways and DL get them more than typical LBs.2: if you want to keep 7 defensive guys, go 2/2/21 DL/LB/DB/flex or go 2/3/2 which is what I like (not a fan of flexes personally)

3: tackles at 2 and assists at 1 will always favor LB who get the highest number of those stats. Elite LBs would get to about 250+ points with those two stats alone, likely more. Your sacks/ints are out of ratio to get DL scoring up. Elite guys like Watt probably get 60 solo tackles and 20ish assists. He's the best defender in football.

Try the following points and see if it changes things how you want:

Fumble forced:5

Fumble recovery:5

INT:8

Pass Defensed:2

Blocked Kick:8

Tackle:2

Assist:1

Sack:5

Tackle for loss:4

Safety:10

Last edited by a moderator:

In my league:

Solo tack=2

Assist=1

Sack=4.5

Int=4

Fum forc=3

Fum Rec=4

Pass def=2

TD=6

Safety=10

Blk kick=8

It sounds like you want a setup with a more balanced scoring between the different IDP positions. The best way to accomplish that is to have position requirements and position specific scoring. Here is a league I'm in that I would say has balanced IDP scoring: http://football6.myfantasyleague.com/2014/options?L=35227&O=09

As you can see the tackle scoring is quite much higher for DLs and there are some other nuances that increase the value of DLs and DBs. We play 1 DT, 2 DE, 4 LB, 2 CB, 2 S. A few things to consider:

- If you want to play around with the scoring setup for the different positions, just be careful that you don't overdo it. You want to balance the scoring, not marginalize LBs.

- If you introduce position requirements you might also want to consider increasing roster size. 27 spots is quite small for an IDP league. I'm in one with 31 and feel it is difficult to get through bye weeks in that one, whereas all my other leagues have 40-55 roster spots. Larger benches tend to reward active owners so if the level of participation is up and down amongst the owners in your league it might turn people off when active owners stockpile talent and build juggernauts over time.

- The number of players you have to start at each position greatly affects the importance of the position. If you only start 2 LBs owners will be able to easily find startable options off waivers. If you start 4 LBs owners will allocate more roster space to that position and it will be much more difficult to find options off waivers.

Users who are viewing this thread