What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Happy Hanukkah (1 Viewer)

C'mon, I know this is mostly a Christian bored, but can't we embrace our brothers in faith during this holiday season?

I'm not jewish, but today I will be lighting a minora (minus 1 candle to help save energy of course)

Happy holidays my Jewish brethren!

Not even the multiple misspellings in this thread could dissuade me from having the best Hanukkah ever! Thanks for the warm and heartfelt wishes Verbal. :wub:

Verbal Kint said:
C'mon, I know this is mostly a Christian bored, but can't we embrace our brothers in faith during this holiday season?
i was going to start a separate thread about this, but i'll put it here...

Why Everyone Should Celebrate Hanukkah

when i was a kid, i figured Hanukkah was just a Jewish Christmas, if i thought about it at all. And until just recently, i had just a basic understanding of it. But i finally read the details and discovered that the holiday commemorates the Maccabean revolt that led to the rescue and rededication of the Jewish temple in Jerusalem. The temple had been overrun and desecrated by Antiochus IV, an early recorded instance of religious persecution. Antiochus forbade the Jews from practicing their religion.

So the Maccabean victory, and Hanukkah as an outgrowth, is a case of the triumph of religious freedom against an oppressive state. The Jewish people just wanted to be able to worship freely in their own place of worship.

So, all people who value religious freedom should hold a special place in their heart for this holiday.

Is there a particular day during Hannukah that is bigger, more important than the others? A day when there's a big dinner, etc.? Is that the last day?

Is there a particular day during Hannukah that is bigger, more important than the others? A day when there's a big dinner, etc.? Is that the last day?
Nope not traditionally. Probably the first night more than others but it's not like Passover, another long holiday where nights one and two are the big boys.

Users who are viewing this thread