What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown (1 Viewer)

flysack

Footballguy
I figured it could use its own thread. Let's talk strategy here.

Link to the official trailer ->

Last edited by a moderator:
I played the #### out of the original x-com. I remember editing the hex file to give my guys like 255 movement and crazy damage.

If you are playing on Classic you need a solid strategy for macro-level operations. You won't make it otherwise.

Pick a region you are OK with losing so you don't get spread too thin and emphasize satellites and engineers early.

If you are playing on Classic you need a solid strategy for macro-level operations. You won't make it otherwise.Pick a region you are OK with losing so you don't get spread too thin and emphasize satellites and engineers early.
Despite starting in Indonesia, I lost India about 4 months in.But its been smooth sailing since then, one of my supports has survived forever so I have all the officer training unlocks. For some reason like 50% of my rookies become snipers so I regularly have missions with 3 snipers.

I'm fairly well into my first game. I only have three satellites up. Captured three aliens, including the shard.

I tend to outfit my soldiers' extra slot this way -

Assault (2) - Vest for more health. They're great for rushing an enemy, so I give them more health.

Heavy (1) - SCOPE. Their aim tends to be lower than others.

Support (2) - Medikit. LTs get a nice perk that lets them use one medikit 3 times.

Rookie (1) - vest or grenade. I always try to include a rookie so I don't end up stuck with an inexperienced team if my vets end up in sick bay.

ETA: Sometimes I'll sub a Support guy for a Sniper. Sniper's get SCOPEs. They're deadly with one.

If I go Sniper, I give the Rookie a medkit. Always have to have 2 soldiers with a medkit.

I try to always have a Sniper. They are particularly effective once you get the skill to put them in Overwatch after moving.

Assault with run and gun is another must IMO.

I try to always have a Sniper. They are particularly effective once you get the skill to put them in Overwatch after moving.

[Assault with run and gun is another must IMO.
I always need at least 2 of these, no matter how big the squad. Lightening Reflexes is another nice Assault ability. It makes enemy Overwatch shots useless.

On a related note - it looks like the aliens have found Earth and are starting with Pompano Beach.

Anyway, my first aborted Classic attempt taught me a couple of lessons. Grab engineers and build satellites. And have a good building layout plan, as you chew up energy fast. Last game I had basically no chance to get engineers and it cost me the game.

OMG. I loved the original.

Can someone tell me (as it wasn't clear from the trailer) is this still a turn-based game in the spirit of the original, or do I have to be "fast" with a joystick/mouse to be good at this? I always liked the old games because I had to think versus hit buttons quickly.

OMG. I loved the original.Can someone tell me (as it wasn't clear from the trailer) is this still a turn-based game in the spirit of the original, or do I have to be "fast" with a joystick/mouse to be good at this? I always liked the old games because I had to think versus hit buttons quickly.
Completely turn based. No reflexes required.

OMG. I loved the original.Can someone tell me (as it wasn't clear from the trailer) is this still a turn-based game in the spirit of the original, or do I have to be "fast" with a joystick/mouse to be good at this? I always liked the old games because I had to think versus hit buttons quickly.
You guys playing on PC or X-box? I have a rather old PC, and my X-Box is broken...so I'm looking at an investment either way.

'Fat Nick said:
'Sand said:
'Fat Nick said:
You guys playing on PC or X-box? I have a rather old PC, and my X-Box is broken...so I'm looking at an investment either way.
PS3. Love it so far. No lag, no crashes.

'Fat Nick said:
'Sand said:
'Fat Nick said:
PS3. Love it so far. No lag, no crashes.
PS3 here, too. Two lock ups, but otherwise fine.

Still playing my first game. 5 months in.

Most loved thing: the plasma sniper rifle + skeleton suit

Most hated thing: those damn discs with laser canons and grenades

Still haven't gotten a Colonel yet. Just one Major -- a sniper.

Also found psi powers in one soldier. One out of five tested. :angry:

PC for multiple reasons, the biggest being Mouse and Keyboard and Mods. Which there are already a handful of.

Tried downloading the demo last night. Won't play on my crappy PC. I'm barely at the minimum requirements for processor and RAM. Think my graphics card is too slow. Now I have to decide if I want to buy a new PC, or get a new x-box (Old one finally died...RROD came back after I fixed it 2 years ago). Ugh. Looking at a significant investment either way.

I'm nearing the end, I think. I've shot down the Overseer ship and took out some Big Honcho alien. Now a ginormous ship has appeared over South America. I'm thinking it's the mothership or something.

A couple of handy tips I learned along the way -

1. The first aliens you encounter are your standard little greys. A rear one will establish a psychic link with one up front to boost his stats. When they're linked like this, you can kill the one in the rear and both will die.

2. The red beast aliens are tough but utterly stupid. If you shoot one, they will automatically use a power called "intimidate," which makes them run to the shooter. You can set them up real easy this way by just leading them to point blank range of every guy in your squad, so each can shoot it in the face in one turn.

3. Three essential units to any squad:

a. A Support guy built to be a medic (the skill that lets Support guys carry 3 med kits is a MUST HAVE).

b. An Assault guy who can shoot aliens in the face.

c. A Sniper who can sit back and thin the herd.

PC version all the way. Sorry back to XCom. I'll comment when I come up for air.
Finally started playing it and it's exactly what I hoped it would be.
Same. Basically same as the first gameplay wise, which is AWESOME. Just has obvious graphics upgrades and useful tweaks. I like the movement style. Much simpler than the time units. You can see exactly how far you can go while still being able to shoot. I like the hive base style. Very cool looking. The scripted missions are a little awkward since the first one allowed you to do almost every attack but it does force hard decisions on you. That makes the invasion feel that much more pressing. I'm very happy with this game. Its everything I ever hoped for.

Tried downloading the demo last night. Won't play on my crappy PC. I'm barely at the minimum requirements for processor and RAM. Think my graphics card is too slow. Now I have to decide if I want to buy a new PC, or get a new x-box (Old one finally died...RROD came back after I fixed it 2 years ago). Ugh. Looking at a significant investment either way.
I'm right there with you.. except for the broken xbox thing. I just don't have one of those. :kicksrock:

How long of a game are we talking?
Not sure how many hours I put in, but I just beat it on Normal last night. In hindsight, I think the replay value is less than I first thought. It's loads of fun, and I've already started a new game on a higher difficulty, but it lacks the allure of the first run, mostly because much of the single player game is so scripted.

I'm right there with you.. except for the broken xbox thing. I just don't have one of those. :kicksrock:
I drool reading this thread as I really want this game. X-com was my absolute favorite growing up. I remember getting the demo for the first one and playing that one level over and over and over until I saved up enough $ to buy the full game...then the next games were great too. I'm really getting ready to just go buy a new Xbox. I know the 720 is going to come out next year, but I can at least use this one as a media player up in the bedroom or something. I can't justify a new PC for what I use it for. This would be the first and likely only PC game I'll play in a long while.

I drool reading this thread as I really want this game. X-com was my absolute favorite growing up. I remember getting the demo for the first one and playing that one level over and over and over until I saved up enough $ to buy the full game...then the next games were great too. I'm really getting ready to just go buy a new Xbox. I know the 720 is going to come out next year, but I can at least use this one as a media player up in the bedroom or something. I can't justify a new PC for what I use it for. This would be the first and likely only PC game I'll play in a long while.
Yes... I also loved the original... :sigh:

Just went out to Best Buy on my lunch break and picked up a new Xbox + X-Com. Wife is out late tonight at a conference. It's time to kick some alien butt this evening. Woo.

FWIW, They have the XBox 360 holiday bundles out. I got the 4GB Xbox w/ Kinect + 2 games for $249. I'll likely sell the Kinect and games for some profit over the $199 I'd have paid for just the system.

So what's the best tip for starting out a new X-Com campaign? Invest in satellites? Invest in Workshops?

Downloading the demo on Steam now. I never played the original, so I guess we shall see how much of the game is awesomeness vs good game + nostalgia factor.

Downloading the demo on Steam now. I never played the original, so I guess we shall see how much of the game is awesomeness vs good game + nostalgia factor.
It's a pretty awesome game in its own right if you like turn-based RPG style games. It's really well done.If you aren't familiar with the genre though start on Normal difficulty. You will get frustrated otherwise. The original game was very difficult and this game is no different.

Just went out to Best Buy on my lunch break and picked up a new Xbox + X-Com. Wife is out late tonight at a conference. It's time to kick some alien butt this evening. Woo.FWIW, They have the XBox 360 holiday bundles out. I got the 4GB Xbox w/ Kinect + 2 games for $249. I'll likely sell the Kinect and games for some profit over the $199 I'd have paid for just the system. So what's the best tip for starting out a new X-Com campaign? Invest in satellites? Invest in Workshops?
There are different starting strategies based on which nation you HQ in and which continents you throw satellites up on first. There are always two things that you need to be focused on early in the game no matter what strategy you use though. Keeping panic levels low so no nations leave the program at the end of the month and grouping satellites to convert entire continents so you can gain the continental bonus. In both cases you are going to need to build satellites as fast as possible (which requires engineers). I only ended up with one workshop, but you may have to build more depending on whether you can engage in missions to gather more engineers. Engineers are required to build satellite nodes, which are required for more satellites. Just keep the process rolling. If you have to lose some nations make sure you do it on the same contintent so you don't lose more than one contintent bonus.Don't be afraid to restart if you see things going really south in the first few months.

It's pretty long. I couldn't imagine finishing the first run through in less than 20 or 30 hours. The higher the difficulty the longer it is going to take. I'm probably into 30 hours already and I seem to have a decent ways to go.

Not sure how many hours I put in, but I just beat it on Normal last night. In hindsight, I think the replay value is less than I first thought. It's loads of fun, and I've already started a new game on a higher difficulty, but it lacks the allure of the first run, mostly because much of the single player game is so scripted.
That was the one thing I feared with the scripted missions. The first one was so organic. No single playthrough was the same as the next. Guess we'll find out. MAybe mods later on will have it be more spontaneous.

Never played the original, but I did play a ton of Jagged Alliance and this sounds similar. Anybody play both?

That was the one thing I feared with the scripted missions. The first one was so organic. No single playthrough was the same as the next. Guess we'll find out. MAybe mods later on will have it be more spontaneous.
As far as I understand it, there is absolutely no way you can beat it without following a very specific sequence of events/research. For example -
I had to have a soldier with psi abilities, which necessitated the psi chamber, etc.

Really enjoying this, brings back some old memories without some of the old frustration. Having some issues with it not running that well on a pretty beefy PC though

Really enjoying this, brings back some old memories without some of the old frustration. Having some issues with it not running that well on a pretty beefy PC though
Just tried the demo on my laptop. Painful. No way. So if I go for it, will have to be on the PS3.

'TxBuckeye said:
'GAlmgren said:
Just tried the demo on my laptop. Painful. No way. So if I go for it, will have to be on the PS3.
Have read that it may be necessary to flash the BIOS to get it to work right. Not sure if i am computer savvy enough anymore to do such a thing. Maybe that is why i play more on the console these days..

'jonessed said:
'Fat Nick said:
Just went out to Best Buy on my lunch break and picked up a new Xbox + X-Com. Wife is out late tonight at a conference. It's time to kick some alien butt this evening. Woo.FWIW, They have the XBox 360 holiday bundles out. I got the 4GB Xbox w/ Kinect + 2 games for $249. I'll likely sell the Kinect and games for some profit over the $199 I'd have paid for just the system. So what's the best tip for starting out a new X-Com campaign? Invest in satellites? Invest in Workshops?
There are different starting strategies based on which nation you HQ in and which continents you throw satellites up on first. There are always two things that you need to be focused on early in the game no matter what strategy you use though. Keeping panic levels low so no nations leave the program at the end of the month and grouping satellites to convert entire continents so you can gain the continental bonus. In both cases you are going to need to build satellites as fast as possible (which requires engineers). I only ended up with one workshop, but you may have to build more depending on whether you can engage in missions to gather more engineers. Engineers are required to build satellite nodes, which are required for more satellites. Just keep the process rolling. If you have to lose some nations make sure you do it on the same contintent so you don't lose more than one contintent bonus.Don't be afraid to restart if you see things going really south in the first few months.
My strategy has been to take the Engineer missions, unless it's an area in a lot of panic. I started out with two Labs early and don't need Scientists. Seems you can't have enough Engineers and they are harder to get than money.

'jonessed said:
'Mad Cow said:
It's a pretty awesome game in its own right if you like turn-based RPG style games. It's really well done.If you aren't familiar with the genre though start on Normal difficulty. You will get frustrated otherwise. The original game was very difficult and this game is no different.
I'm actually amazed this game was made in this age of FPS. I'm hoping the game sells well and we get more TBS games like this.If you don't take advantage of saves, Normal is still rather difficult. Early in the game aliens can kill your guys rather easily, even behind full cover.

'TxBuckeye said:
'GAlmgren said:
Have read that it may be necessary to flash the BIOS to get it to work right. Not sure if i am computer savvy enough anymore to do such a thing. Maybe that is why i play more on the console these days..
I haven't played a game on the computer since getting my PS3 two or three years ago. So, without games, there was no need to upgrade anything. Now, I simply have to deal with the fact I no longer have a gaming machine when it comes to PCs. It definitely isn't worth the time or effort to get there. So, I'll PS3 it and be happy.

I'm impressed with the X-box implementation. I don't miss the mouse/keyboard combo. The only place I wish I had that truthfully is when I want to re-name my soldiers. I like to rename, and I also give them prefixes to help me quickly ID their abilities. The little icons just don't do it for me.

Overall, this game is great. I find myself addicted to it like I was the old one. Constantly playing "one more mission" before I get the death stare from the wife. I love that they stayed pretty true to the originial with some add-ons for more depth. It just begs for a sequel though, with new story lines, weapons, etc.

I think this just solidifies the fact that if you want turned based strategy, Firaxis is the king. They did what many others failed to do for 15 years. They created an XCom sequel that is fun, playable and most importantly profitable. That will mean that we may get more of this wonderful franchise. God bless Sid Meier.

I like to rename
Me too. I named my Asian support dude "No. 16". What nickname did the computer give him? Scotch. :lol:
Absolutely - they really needed to allow us to build a database of names to choose from for each game. I have taken to naming my guys after current and former Saints (and ##### defectors like Morten Anderson and Joe Horn, who get to inhabit the women characters).

'Sand said:
'cstu said:
I like to rename
Me too. I named my Asian support dude "No. 16". What nickname did the computer give him? Scotch. :lol:
Absolutely - they really needed to allow us to build a database of names to choose from for each game. I have taken to naming my guys after current and former Saints (and ##### defectors like Morten Anderson and Joe Horn, who get to inhabit the women characters).
I like to name them after their appearance and actual name. My one heavy guy was a hulking black dude. I named him Boomer. Died on his 20th mission trying to rescue that dude on the bridge. RIP Boomer. Another was this really brute looking chick whose last name was Payne. I called her "Pretty". Half the fun is naming these guys because it gives you that much more attachment compared to the first game. Hurts when they bite it.

Users who are viewing this thread