What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WashPo Article Calls for Morbid Obesity to be Classified as a Handicap (1 Viewer)

For my :2cents: , the vast majority of obese folks are obese due to their own choices, and can become non-obese if they worked at it. Obviously there are a few with gland issues and have no control over the situation, but I'm not under the impression that is particularly common.

So, comparing this against folks mentally disabled and physically disabled in other ways... I just don't see the comparision. Even if a person ended up losing a limb or with brain trauma due to their own choice (like doing a risky sport or something), they still can't unring that bell. They can't grow back a lost limb or repair the pathways in their brain.

So, my initial thought was that the author is WAY off base.

But then I thought some more. I work @ Walter Reed and we have plenty of wounded warriors here. My neighbor is one. Lost his leg @ the knee. This dude plays ice hockey. He built the beautiful patio in his backyard himself. Frankly, he's more able than I am as I can do neither of those things. Is he handicapped? Techinically, I guess so, but that guy never let it slow him down.

Meanwhile, the author of this article claims to not be able to walk 20 paces. So, clearly that is a disability. It is a handicap.

My final thought is... if you can fix it yourself, do so. Don't ask for special treatment from society over an issue you created and you can fix. However, I'll read the responses and see if my opinion changes much.

My final thought is... if you can fix it yourself, do so. Don't ask for special treatment from society over an issue you created and you can fix.
I'm not sure I agree that obese people necessarily "created" their problem, and I don't think it's easy for them to fix (very few obese people are able to lose the weight and keep it off). Not treating it as a disability just seems like animus to me.

So, comparing this against folks mentally disabled and physically disabled in other ways... I just don't see the comparision. Even if a person ended up losing a limb or with brain trauma due to their own choice (like doing a risky sport or something), they still can't unring that bell. They can't grow back a lost limb or repair the pathways in their brain.
I doubt that many morbidly obese people are capable of un-ringing that bell either.

Our receptionist is morbidly obese. She has a handicapped plate and has to use a walker to get to the bathroom (10 seconds away for a normal person). Yes, she will sit there and scarf down stuff from BK and eat whatever sugary stuff people leave in the coffee room so her choices do play a significant role in her weight, but the fact remains that in her current condition she's not capable of getting around like a normal person.

Well, it's not an advantage.
I agree that it is a handicap in most activities.However, I don't think society should be forced to accomodate that handicap when a person is perfectly capable of eating less and exercising more.
How about if the person is perfectly capable of going on medication and no longer having symptoms of some mental illness?
:hey:

Perfect example. I have ADHD - Inattentive Subtype. I take medication for this (Straterra). I work in a field that requires attention to detail (federal budget/acct). If I lost my job because I wasn't performing, I think that would be fair. Why should the government employ someone who isn't capable of doing the job? They shouldn't. I can go dig ditches or I can medicate myself and perform at the level required w/ this job.

And the decline continues.
Bingo...it probably makes sense to have companies spend money to accommodate someone banging back Hostess products on a daily basis...God forbid someone has to live with the consequences of their poor choices in today's society...

My final thought is... if you can fix it yourself, do so. Don't ask for special treatment from society over an issue you created and you can fix.
I'm not sure I agree that obese people necessarily "created" their problem, and I don't think it's easy for them to fix (very few obese people are able to lose the weight and keep it off). Not treating it as a disability just seems like animus to me.
So, people can't be expected to control their weight because it isn't easy. Instead, society should cater to them?

Of course it is about poor decisions and bad lifestyle choices made over the course of a lifetime. No fat person would dispute that if hooked to a lie detector. What I think is that perhaps if classified that way then maybe more fat people will be able to get the surgery needed to rapidly get them back to a healthier weight.

Could people change their lives the proper way? In a perfect world yes. But to think that the average person WILL be able to do so, even if they desire it, is not realistic. When you are fit it all sounds so easy to do. The truth is that doing all the right things is hard and most people can not do it consistently and with the determination to correct years of body abuse.

On the other hand, one of the examples the author provides -- an obese child care worker who was fired because his obesity made it hard for him to tie kids' shoes -- seems like a really bad example to hang your case on. If the guy can't do his job because of his disability, firing him is totally fine. I'm not sure why the author thinks that firms should be forced to hire people who can't do what they hired to do.

I doubt that many morbidly obese people are capable of un-ringing that bell either.

Our receptionist is morbidly obese. She has a handicapped plate and has to use a walker to get to the bathroom (10 seconds away for a normal person). Yes, she will sit there and scarf down stuff from BK and eat whatever sugary stuff people leave in the coffee room so her choices do play a significant role in her weight, but the fact remains that in her current condition she's not capable of getting around like a normal person.
Did she get the handicapped plate for her weight alone? Or does she have bad knees/hips? I'm betting the latter.

And although her obesity probably caused the knee/hip problems... I'd still classify her as handicapped (if my guess is correct).

If my guess is wrong and its just the weight... maybe making her park farther away from the office would be helpful to her in the long run? As it would make her exercise just a tiny bit more?

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course it is about poor decisions and bad lifestyle choices made over the course of a lifetime. No fat person would dispute that if hooked to a lie detector. What I think is that perhaps if classified that way then maybe more fat people will be able to get the surgery needed to rapidly get them back to a healthier weight.

Could people change their lives the proper way? In a perfect world yes. But to think that the average person WILL be able to do so, even if they desire it, is not realistic. When you are fit it all sounds so easy to do. The truth is that doing all the right things is hard and most people can not do it consistently and with the determination to correct years of body abuse.
Can you expand on the bolded? They can't get surgery otherwise? Or insurance won't pay for it otherwise? I really know nothing about this.

Did she get the handicapped plate for her weight alone? Or does she have bad knees/hips? I'm better the latter.

And although her obesity probably caused the knee/hip problems... I'd still classify her as handicapped (if my guess is correct).

If my guess is wrong and its just the weight... maybe making her park farther away from the office would be helpful to her in the long run? As it would make her exercise just a tiny bit more?
Your guess is spot on. She has all sorts of hip, knee, and foot problems caused as far as I know by her weight and by diabetes (again, weight-driven). So yeah, point taken.

That said, even if she was just really overweight but healthy otherwise, she still wouldn't be able to walk across campus the same way you and I can. It's just not happening for somebody in that bad a condition.

"And remember, if you’re not sure about something, rub it against a piece of paper. If the paper turns clear, it’s your window to weight gain."

Losing weight is not easy for a morbidly obese person. You know what else isnt easy? Becoming morbidly obese. Most of these people worked at it day after day for years and years.

Im sure it sucks for them, but the problem shouldnt be shifted to someone else.

Why should the government employ someone who isn't capable of doing the job? They shouldn't.
Right, that's what the laws about "reasonable accommodation" are all about. If a person can't do the job, even with a reasonable accommodation, then they don't get to keep the job. Treating obesity as a disability doesn't mean what you're implying.

Can you expand on the bolded? They can't get surgery otherwise? Or insurance won't pay for it otherwise? I really know nothing about this.
All I really know about this is that any bariatric surgery is not covered by my work plan, but then again nothing regarding IVF is covered.

The surgery would help people regain a normal BMI and hopefully lead a healthier life into the future.

On the other hand, one of the examples the author provides -- an obese child care worker who was fired because his obesity made it hard for him to tie kids' shoes -- seems like a really bad example to hang your case on. If the guy can't do his job because of his disability, firing him is totally fine. I'm not sure why the author thinks that firms should be forced to hire people who can't do what they hired to do.
Yeah, if tying kids' shoes is an important requirement of the job, then I agree with you. I honestly don't know if it is or not.

This is bound to happen. This country is getting fatter and fatter and the morbidly obese will become a louder voice.

The most stupid thing is that having a lot of excess fat is basically the worst thing you can do for yourself. You'd be better off being a skinny smoker than 75+ pounds overweight.

Most people are lazy and make decisions that only satisfy their most current desires. The outcome from those decisions is down the road so it's not a thought.

I'm going to invest in scooter companies.

Just spent a week at Disney, and saw an obscene amount of Jabba the Huts riding around the parks in those little scooters.

Just spent a week at Disney, and saw an obscene amount of Jabba the Huts riding around the parks in those little scooters.
won't be long till we see traffic lights in Wal Mart aisles
This will make for an awesome spinoff of the "idiot driver" thread.
Those folks were obnoxious. Going way too fast for the crowds at WDW. They'd be speeding along then beep when you were in their way. Plus they get special treatment (shorter/no lines) at the rides.

Of course there are some rides they can't go on because of size, or if they did they'd have issues like the guy I saw surrounded by medics, looking like he passed after Space Mountain.

I cant believe she points out how a tour of the place she is interviewing at basically makes it harder to get the job because her fat ### is out of breath.

I cant believe she points out how a tour of the place she is interviewing at basically makes it harder to get the job because her fat ### is out of breath.
Yep. Another example of how the concept of personal accountability has gone out the window for a lot of people in this country.

As others have said earlier in this thread, most people who are obese are that way by choice. They bang back junk food all day every day, don't exercise, and then (when they cant walk 10 steps without taking a break) its the mean ol world who has the problem? Gimme a friggin break. So many obnoxiously entitled individuals out there that believe the world owes them. Rather than accept the responsibility for their condition and make better choices toward their health, they want the world to adjust and make it easier for them to continue to do as they please. SMH :angry:

These days, when in doubt, we call it a disease or disability or handicap or something. We give people something to blame so they don't have to hold themselves accountable. Big part of the downfall of our society, IMO.

Yep. Another example of how the concept of personal accountability has gone out the window for a lot of people in this country.As others have said earlier in this thread, most people who are obese are that way by choice. They bang back junk food all day every day, don't exercise, and then (when they cant walk 10 steps without taking a break) its the mean ol world who has the problem? Gimme a friggin break. So many obnoxiously entitled individuals out there that believe the world owes them. Rather than accept the responsibility for their condition and make better choices toward their health, they want the world to adjust and make it easier for them to continue to do as they please. SMH :angry:

These days, when in doubt, we call it a disease or disability or handicap or something. We give people something to blame so they don't have to hold themselves accountable. Big part of the downfall of our society, IMO.
See, this is the FFA I'm used to. You guys are slipping.

Tough call. I don't think anyone starts out with a desire to be morbidly obese or wants to remain morbidly obese for any fringe benefits...it just happens. So to that, I don't think people in other similar situations are denied "handicapped" status.

Tough call. I don't think anyone starts out with a desire to be morbidly obese or wants to remain morbidly obese for any fringe benefits...it just happens. So to that, I don't think people in other similar situations are denied "handicapped" status.
With all due respect, no, it doesn't.

Morbid obesity is most often the result of lifestyle choice over time. Suggesting someone who chooses to do that to themselves is the same as someone who ends up legitimately disabled via a freak accident playing sports/adventuring/etc is ridiculous.

With all due respect, no, it doesn't.

Morbid obesity is most often the result of lifestyle choice over time. Suggesting someone who chooses to do that to themselves is the same as someone who ends up legitimately disabled via a freak accident playing sports/adventuring/etc is ridiculous.
Not really talking about that....more along the lines of chronic smokers, drinkers, etc. etc. We might condemn their lifestyle choices (which they are) to the high heavens and call them out as making horrible lifestyle choices.........but when they're in need of help, we don't deny it to them as a society.

isn't it already pretty much classified that way now? I'm pretty sure the SSA will allow you to get benefits if you are obese although I believe you do have to also show you have some ancillary issues caused by the obesity.

Morbid obesity is a lifelong condition. There's not a simple solution such as getting them to put down a fork either. Being that fat means your leptin sensitivity is altered, often forever. If you are that fat and that lepitin compromised it is usually impossible to maintain virtually any weight loss.

Weight loss surgery is the only way anyone in this condition can truly stand a chance of getting out of it. And that's no lock either. People are finding ways to overeat with the thumb stomach too.

Even going from 500 pounds to 250 pounds comes with the issues of excess skin and some metabolic disorders.

We as a society are failing these people. Badly.

Users who are viewing this thread