What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US strike on North Korea - Scenario question (1 Viewer)

TheIronSheik

SUPER ELITE UPPER TIER
The intention of this thread isn't to drum up support or anything like that. I'm just wondering what people's opinions are. No right or wrong answers, really. Although, I'm sure we'll all argue like there are right and wrong answers.

Anyway, if this was an attack by NK on an American company, that seems pretty bad. At what point, would the US have to take retaliatory action against NK? What if they hacked into the government or military? Do attempts warrant action? Or do we have to wait until they actually do something that causes casualties?

Just something to talk about on a slow Friday work day before vacation.

The intention of this thread isn't to drum up support or anything like that. I'm just wondering what people's opinions are. No right or wrong answers, really. Although, I'm sure we'll all argue like there are right and wrong answers.

Anyway, if this was an attack by NK on an American company, that seems pretty bad. At what point, would the US have to take retaliatory action against NK? What if they hacked into the government or military? Do attempts warrant action? Or do we have to wait until they actually do something that causes casualties?

If they found out the theater threats were made directly from NK, that would bring it closer but still not likely.

I think NK would have to do something like a military action on a US civilian, diplomatic or military target which would kill somebody, that's probably the only way.

I don't know, is it a NK attack on a American company that moved it's HQ to dodge tax liability in the US?

I'd support hacking into their government servers and putting some cute cat gif's on their home page. That would burn them, well, pretty bad.

I think this is why it is taking so long for an official announcement from the U.S. government. They may know it was NK, they may be able to prove it, but they're still trying to figure out what to DO about it. To me, the key question is around the threats of 9/11 style violence against innocent movie-goers. That's crossing a line. I'm still not sure it justifies military action, but it definitely raised the stakes.

I think this is why it is taking so long for an official announcement from the U.S. government. They may know it was NK, they may be able to prove it, but they're still trying to figure out what to DO about it. To me, the key question is around the threats of 9/11 style violence against innocent movie-goers. That's crossing a line. I'm still not sure it justifies military action, but it definitely raised the stakes.
Exactly. Even if it was an empty threat, they still threatened US citizens enough that it had to be taken as a credible threat.

Exactly. Even if it was an empty threat, they still threatened US citizens enough that it had to be taken as a credible threat.
That may not be enough to justify military action, but it's probably enough for the CIA to get a couple of journalists to assassinate Kim.

Yahoo homepage is saying the FBI has been able to make a link.

I'm not sure this is deserving of war like retaliation. I would go to China and ask how they would want to handle. Doing nothing isn't an option, but I don't think anyone needs to die.

Turn your scenario around. We already know the US fedgov is hacking into everything and spying on everyone.

Would you support the right of NK or others to take retaliatory action against the US?

I'm not sure this is deserving of war like retaliation. I would go to China and ask how they would want to handle. Doing nothing isn't an option, but I don't think anyone needs to die.
How else could it be handled? I mean, we've pretty much done everything we could do to them outside of a military attack, right?

Turn your scenario around. We already know the US fedgov is hacking into everything and spying on everyone.

Would you support the right of NK or others to take retaliatory action against the US?
What? :confused:

Its a Japanese company, no?
It's a company that operates in the US with US employees. They didn't threaten the Japanese division of Sony. They threatened the US division of Sony.
Japanese politics is also involved. The North Koreans and Japanese hate each other and they are in the midst of sensitive negotiations around the return of hostages that NK took from Japan and other stuff dating all the way back to WW2.

Last edited by a moderator:

How else could it be handled? I mean, we've pretty much done everything we could do to them outside of a military attack, right?
Release the movie?

It's a company that operates in the US with US employees. They didn't threaten the Japanese division of Sony. They threatened the US division of Sony.
Japanese politics is also involved. The North Koreans and Japanese hate each other and they are in the midst of sensitive negotiations around the return of hostages that NK took from Japan and other stuff dating all the way back to WW2.
Not saying they aren't. But the attack on Sony was not about that.

Release the movie?
release the movie in NK.

Release the movie?
release the movie in NK.
It occurred to me that the US government could actually purchase DVDs and thumb drives containing the movies and provide them to the guy who drops movies in balloons into NK, but then it occurred to me that the maniacs that run the place would probably, seriously go to war over that.

Release the movie?
release the movie in NK.
It occurred to me that the US government could actually purchase DVDs and thumb drives containing the movies and provide them to the guy who drops movies in balloons into NK, but then it occurred to me that the maniacs that run the place would probably, seriously go to war over that.
you would probably have to drop Betamax tapes.

If we nuke them it's a win all the way around for us. We get rid of the nuts running the asylum,we take out a few million malnourished people,we can bring the troops in South Korea home and the execs at Sony Pictures can crawl out their hole and get back to making millions of dollars and dissing others in the motion picture business with no one else finding out. :moneybag:

He asked: "Would you support the right of NK or others to take retaliatory action against the US?"

Release the movie?
Yep and then say take that Kid Dong II

He asked: "Would you support the right of NK or others to take retaliatory action against the US?"
His scenario doesn't make sense, though. Every country spies. NK threatened us and our people.

Release the movie?
yep - call their bluff.. we DARE you, North Korea, to do something... Get Clint Eastwood to announce the film's opening-- "Go ahead- make our day"

This was my first thought....why is this a threat to the USA?
Sony Pictures is an American subsidiary. But, regardless, the more important part is that they threatened violence against American citizens.
So? It's an empty threat. The North Korean government is a fat blowhard.
While I agree, their threats had to be taken seriously, and that caused damages. Therefore, it actually was more than a threat.

Sony Pictures is an American subsidiary. But, regardless, the more important part is that they threatened violence against American citizens.
While I agree, their threats had to be taken seriously, and that caused damages. Therefore, it actually was more than a threat.
I don't think I agree with this premise.

Regardless, let's not overblow what happened here. NK caused some damage and embarrassment to a large company. Yes, that's bad. But the costs of launching any kind of a serious or semi-serious strike on NK just make things that much worse, not better.

If there's something our own cyberwarfare people can do to make life more difficult for Kim, great, but we should be doing that stuff anyway.

If we nuke them it's a win all the way around for us. We get rid of the nuts running the asylum,we take out a few million malnourished people,we can bring the troops in South Korea home and the execs at Sony Pictures can crawl out their hole and get back to making millions of dollars and dissing others in the motion picture business with no one else finding out. :moneybag:
Ugh.

I don't think I agree with this premise.

Regardless, let's not overblow what happened here. NK caused some damage and embarrassment to a large company. Yes, that's bad. But the costs of launching any kind of a serious or semi-serious strike on NK just make things that much worse, not better.

If there's something our own cyberwarfare people can do to make life more difficult for Kim, great, but we should be doing that stuff anyway.
I meant that they pulled the movie for fear that US citizens could be harmed by a terror attack at the movies.

I also want to point out I'm not saying we should attack NK for this.

The idea of the US attacking NK due to the plot of The Interview is more unbelievable than the storyline of This is The End

you never heard of the NSA?

What?

You haven't heard anything that Edward Snowden said?

What?

:confused:

What?

What?

Read above. Every country spies. This is not news.

I'd say drop a million copies of The Interview on DVD or VHS over the capital, but there are flaws with that plan:

1) They'd just kill anyone who touched one
2) Nobody has VHS or DVD players... or electricity.

Comic books anyone?

What?

What?

fixed

What?

What?

Sony Hackers posted a few funny email transcripts and released a few movies on the internet(which happens all the time, btw)

What the NSA did and continues to do is far worse.

An invasion of NK is a non starter. They could wipe out Seoul in minutes with their artillery. They would kill millions. There will be no attack unless the threat from NK is bigger than what they would do to SK before we could stop them.

What?

What?

Sony Hackers posted a few funny email transcripts and released a few movies on the internet(which happens all the time, btw)

OK. You should read up a little more on the news instead of investing so much time making your :tinfoilhat:

An invasion of NK is a non starter. They could wipe out Seoul in minutes with their artillery. They would kill millions. There will be no attack unless the threat from NK is bigger than what they would do to SK before we could stop them.
But that was my question. Say Sony didn't halt the movie. And a bomb went off in a theater killing a couple dozen Americans. Then what happens?

This was more of a "what would it take" thread, not a "should we" thread.

What?

What?

OK. You should read up a little more on the news instead of investing so much time making your :tinfoilhat:
Is it your contention that the NSAs wholsale spying on everyone is not on a par with the Sony hack? Seriously? You don't think other governments see it as a threat to their own internal operations and security? Maybe you should read some news as well.

A US strike on Best Korea will likely mean a lot of deaths in Seoul in response, not to mention the thousands of US troops stationed there as a tripwire.

So what does N.Korea need to do where this tradeoff becomes acceptable? I suspect it takes a lot more than a Sony hacking and some saber rattling.

What?

What?

I guess that response is slightly above, "well... you're just a poopy head!"

But that was my question. Say Sony didn't halt the movie. And a bomb went off in a theater killing a couple dozen Americans. Then what happens?

It would take a lot more than that. The simple reality is any attack on NK is going to result in millions dead. SK would be devastated in minutes. It would be horrific and bloody. Non starter barring NK launching a nuke or something similar.

What?

What?

Is it your contention that the NSAs wholsale spying on everyone is not on a par with the Sony hack? Seriously? You don't think other governments see it as a threat to their own internal operations and security? Maybe you should read some news as well.
Again (I feel like I'm repeating myself here) EVERY COUNTRY HAS A SPY PROGRAM. This isn't new.

It would take a lot more than that. The simple reality is any attack on NK is going to result in millions dead. SK would be devastated in minutes. It would be horrific and bloody. Non starter barring NK launching a nuke or something similar.
You're missing the point. Merry Christmas.

What?

What?

I guess that response is slightly above, "well... you're just a poopy head!"
OK

You're missing the point. Merry Christmas.
I thought the bolded is the point.

Users who are viewing this thread