What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Player Comparison (1 Viewer)

deadlyrange0321

Footballguy
This may be a little Assistant Coach forumish, but it's a question I need some help with. What is the best way to determine the relative value of Offensive players to defensive players, for example, most rankings I've seen have JPP as the top DE for dynasty purposes. In a league that starts two DEs, what is his value as compared to other offensive players. I'm having trouble because obviously JPP is very valuable as DE as we must start two, but if I were going to trade him, what would be an example of fair offer and then an unfair offer?

Again, I'm extremely new to IDP, so forgive me if this is a simple question.

This may be a little Assistant Coach forumish, but it's a question I need some help with. What is the best way to determine the relative value of Offensive players to defensive players, for example, most rankings I've seen have JPP as the top DE for dynasty purposes. In a league that starts two DEs, what is his value as compared to other offensive players. I'm having trouble because obviously JPP is very valuable as DE as we must start two, but if I were going to trade him, what would be an example of fair offer and then an unfair offer?Again, I'm extremely new to IDP, so forgive me if this is a simple question.
First off, JJ Watt is the best DE for fantasy or real NFL. In my league he is over 100 points in front of the 2nd best DE, at no other position, offensive or defensive is there a disparity from 1st to 2nd close to that. Secondly, I think you should trade based on how you value players, if your stacked at DE and have no depth at wr, and someone is offering you a trade you think is fair or more importantly helps your team, you take it. Just watch out for the top teams in the league trading you older guys that had a good season for younger good guys. Now is the time of the year when the sharks roam the waters, preying on the weak/new owners, retooling their powerhouse squads for another championship run. :shark:

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a few things to look at here.

You need to project what you expect the player to produce on average and don't get caught up on a number you feel is skewed. Watt this year is what JPP was last year. They are both very nice young DL players and should be top DE for several years but look at what sort of advantage you think they give you on a points per game basis over say the 10th and 20th best players at that spot. And then look at how much plyers PPG drop after that.

In leagues I play the dramatic dropoff and scoring at some of the other positions make them more valuable. We have some interesting chat on one of thos esites right now as a team turned down pick 1.07 for Watt. Some say he is too huge an advantage guy at his position to trade him away while others say how can you not take a first round pick for a DL.

My approach would be to look at what kind of points you think you would lose by filling the hole left by trading JPP and compare that to what value you are gaining in the trade. So for instance if in your scoring JPP would score 10ppg and the guy left to fill that gap scores 7ppg then a reasonable satrting point would be that you would need to make up those 3ppg in the offensive player. Obviously other factors like players age and personal likes and dislikes will come into play as well. That should create a good starting point.

Users who are viewing this thread