What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why KC Should Go After Vick and Reid...... (1 Viewer)

Stinkin Ref

IBL Representative
1. There is no clear cut, can't miss (Luck, RGIII) QB in next year's draft.

2. Reid will be unemployed for about 24 hours.

3. Vick has ability to put up top 5 QB numbers, something KC has never seen. And he will be cheap.

4. RB is the strength of this team (Charles, Draughn, and yes even Hillis). Need to be dangerous elsewhere.

5. Oline is decent.

6. Unfortuntely Bowe is probably a goner. Need to revamp WR group. Could address that in FA and draft. Think speed. And maybe another TE.

7. Defense isn't really that bad. Has played well enough to win games (BAL/PIT/DEN games easily come to mind)

8. Oppotunity to get an athlete like Vick doesn't happen very often. There will be very little out there other then him. Alex Smith? No thanks, that's Matt Cassel all over again.

9. This allows KC to take BPA in the draft and keep building. They have some pieces.

I'm assuming the Gruden's and Cower's etc will never take a look at KC. Reid may be the best of whats left.

This team needs a change in attitude, I'm not a huge Vick fan, but I can't stand to watch anymore of the QB play that we have seen the last few years.

My biggest fear is that KC wastes that first pick on one of these QB's and it doesn't work out. There will be so much pressure for them to address the QB position in the off season, I just don't think their first round pick is the way to do it. My fear is they will pick the wrong guy and set this franchise back even further. Wait and take a QB later in the draft and develop him.

:banned:

Last edited by a moderator:
I say get mike mccoy, offensive coordinator in denver, as your head coach, and get tebow as your starting qb. Mccoy knows the afc west, and he knows how to make the tebow offense work. They have good runners who can catch the ball, and baldwin is just they type of wr you want for that offense. They can then build the defense and o line in the draft.

So, Vick can take his lack of awareness and inability to read the field to a new town and have the guy who forced him to be a pocket QB despite his inability to read the field and be aware of what's going on around him join him?

Yeah, that'll work.

Vick is too brittle at this stage of his career to be counted on as a starter and Reids personal problems seem to have worn him out..he looks like a tired.. beaten man. Reid really needs to step away from the game for at least a year.

So, Vick can take his lack of awareness and inability to read the field to a new town and have the guy who forced him to be a pocket QB despite his inability to read the field and be aware of what's going on around him join him?Yeah, that'll work.
Seriously...plus Vick's Top 5 days are behind him (if he really ever had them in a "non-fantasy" world). No problem with Reid, and if I were KC, I would cut off my arm for him. Also, did KC really "struggle" when Trent Green was at the helm. As a Jets fan who is 38, I never even had a "Trent Green"...or a even Joe Montana is the latter years. I've had one good year from Vinny...one.

Reid is coming to San Diego
I know that's a popular thought, but do you really want him next year? You know Norv Turner has had more success in his 6 year tenure at SD than Reid's had in those same 6 years in Philly (regular season & post season wins).As others have mentioned, Reid really looks like he would benefit from a year or 2 with the family.

I know that's a popular thought, but do you really want him next year? You know Norv Turner has had more success in his 6 year tenure at SD than Reid's had in those same 6 years in Philly (regular season & post season wins).As others have mentioned, Reid really looks like he would benefit from a year or 2 with the family.
yeah he might retire altogether.

Not sure if that' sarcasm or not, but I'm sure he will coach again - maybe next year. But if he comes back in 2013 I don't think he would be the coach fans are expecting. He's on his 3rd DC since Johnson, and this looks like a train wreck as well. Reid was a much better HC when JJ was running the D.Eagles have been in steady decline since '08. Maybe a change is all he needs.

Not sure if that' sarcasm or not, but I'm sure he will coach again - maybe next year. But if he comes back in 2013 I don't think he would be the coach fans are expecting. He's on his 3rd DC since Johnson, and this looks like a train wreck as well. Reid was a much better HC when JJ was running the D.Eagles have been in steady decline since '08. Maybe a change is all he needs.
he coached for 14 straight years, not counting his time as an assistant.He lost his son, I could see him wanting to take a break and reflect and spend time with his family. then again 6 million bucks is a nice deal, and a change of scenery with a decent QB could be good.

4. RB is the strength of this team (Charles, Draughn, and yes even Hillis). Need to be dangerous elsewhere.
Why would you want Andy Reid if this is the case? Andy Reid could have Barry Sanders, Walter Payton and Jim Brown as his RBs and he's still throw the ball 50 times a game.

Vick needs to get away from Reid. Not that he has a huge chance to revive his career regardless. But Reid sees more in him than he does, and another coach will not make him be that guy. If a coach kid gloved him, limited his pass attempts, gave him more opportunities to just ball, he could be more successful.

If the Eagles were 100% convinced that they will be parting ways with Reid, would they still allow him to cut a player like Babin? Not that the deal is an "earth-shaker" but if it were my team (or company) and I was positively firing Reid I would put a freeze on his player personnel decisions for the balance of the season.

My guess is better than 50% chance Reid stays in Philly (to tear down, rebuild). They've already said the decision will come after the season is over. And if not, he'll take his time in reviewing the half dozen or so offers that flood his smart phone 30 seconds after the announcement of his release.

Vick will be a stop gap wherever he goes.

At 33 years old, his physical tools have declined & he's never been the most cerebral.

New Offense. Declining skills. Think McNabb (Washington days) here for Vick in 2013.

The guy I could see back in Philly is....

Kevin Kolb.

I'd be stunned to see the Cards pay him $11 mil next year. If he refuses to restructure, could see him gone. He's probably got the rest of the year audition (Kolb). It's bad from Cards viewpoint that you know very little more about him 2 years into the deal than you do when you signed him.

If the Eagles were 100% convinced that they will be parting ways with Reid, would they still allow him to cut a player like Babin? Not that the deal is an "earth-shaker" but if it were my team (or company) and I was positively firing Reid I would put a freeze on his player personnel decisions for the balance of the season.My guess is better than 50% chance Reid stays in Philly (to tear down, rebuild). They've already said the decision will come after the season is over. And if not, he'll take his time in reviewing the half dozen or so offers that flood his smart phone 30 seconds after the announcement of his release.
Or that move was dictated by the front office as a cap saving measure. Babin's now completely off the books for 2013 and they won't be running the same defensive scheme.There is zero chance Reid is in Philly for a 15th season.

I think it's a good idea. Reid>>>>Romeo and Vick>>>>any QB they have. Would be a big improvement for a team that needs help.

I am in the camp of him taking a year off. It seemingly was terrific for Steve Fisher.

If he stays in Philly, that city might self-destruct. Not saying he SHOULD be fired but I never hear anyone who is an Eagles fan staunchly advocating that he should stay.

There will be a lot of coaching changes this year so I guess he will get a HC job offered to him but I think his best fit is to go OC somewhere (Zona maybe) and re-illustrate what it is that he shines at.

I am in the camp of him taking a year off. It seemingly was terrific for Steve Fisher.If he stays in Philly, that city might self-destruct. Not saying he SHOULD be fired but I never hear anyone who is an Eagles fan staunchly advocating that he should stay.There will be a lot of coaching changes this year so I guess he will get a HC job offered to him but I think his best fit is to go OC somewhere (Zona maybe) and re-illustrate what it is that he shines at.
For the record, he was never an OC. QB coach to HC.

Why would you want Andy Reid if this is the case? Andy Reid could have Barry Sanders, Walter Payton and Jim Brown as his RBs and he's still throw the ball 50 times a game.
thats the point....we got whatever running game he would implement covered....we need to catch up to the big boys in the passing game....running game is the strength of KC....but when it is ALL you have, it just isn't very successful....I have watched every play of every game this year...KC's defense allowed them to hang with some of the traditional "big boys"....PIT, BAL, and now DEN with Manning....heck they even played ok for a half against ATL...they have thrown up some stinkers in there as well when they got down quick and were blown out....but overall, I really think this team could win NOW if they had a couple more pieces (QB and a different coach)....and Bowe staying....maybe Reid isn't the answer right now cause they might need a more high energy, passionate guy....Reid maybe can't do that right now....I like the idea of taking one of Denver's coaches....maybe McCoy or Del Rio...

KC should bend over backwards to hire Reid, provided he doesn't want / need a year off.

I fail to see why they'd want anything at all to do with Michael Vick though. He's aging fast and they're way more than one player away from being competitive. I'd actually put the chances at under 50% that Vick gets a starting gig anywhere next year, at least to start the season.

better than what we have now, but i would rather the chiefs go a different direction and i think they will. maybe vick would play better behind a different line though.

i agree there is no cant miss QB in this years draft, so i would like to see a scenario where the chiefs trade back for te'o then draft tyler wilson/mike glennon (trade up if have to in order to get the guy they want). sign a veteran qb.

If the chiefs cant get someone like cowher,gruden, or sean payton to come to KC then some candidates could be chip kelly, bruce arians, Vic Fangio or someone else. i just hope pioli isnt the guy picking this coach. id rather have one of those coaches than mccoy with tebow.

better than what we have now, but i would rather the chiefs go a different direction and i think they will. maybe vick would play better behind a different line though.

i agree there is no cant miss QB in this years draft, so i would like to see a scenario where the chiefs trade back for te'o then draft tyler wilson/mike glennon (trade up if have to in order to get the guy they want). sign a veteran qb.

If the chiefs cant get someone like cowher,gruden, or sean payton to come to KC then some candidates could be chip kelly, bruce arians, Vic Fangio or someone else. i just hope pioli isnt the guy picking this coach. id rather have one of those coaches than mccoy with tebow.
I like a lot of this but the bolded......what really does just "sign a veteran QB" mean....who is that....what will be out there that would really be a drastic improvement over what we got...signing a veteran QB is what we have been doing since Montana....it ain't working....Vick, while also just a veteran still might have some of that real deal "pop" that we need....all we have been doing is recycling other teams old retreads or smoke and mirrors (Cassel).....I think Vick has a couple years left with some impact type play in him....he would be the best option right now....groom a young guy.....or load up elsewhere and then just mortgage the farm in a few years when the next Luck comes around...

I like a lot of this but the bolded......what really does just "sign a veteran QB" mean....who is that....what will be out there that would really be a drastic improvement over what we got...
your right theres not much out there, most likely the rookie qb will be starting day 1.

if we can get alex smith for a reasonable price i think we should do it. as long as we can still draft te'o and one of those QBs. Smith is at least better than what we have now. Theres not too many options in free agency but somehow the qb position needs to be completely changed from top to bottom.

i agree vick might be the best option and i wouldnt be upset about it, KC just needs to get the line healthy and with another year of experience for the younger guys hopefully vick and the line play well together. the line is one of the bigger problems in philly.

So, Vick can take his lack of awareness and inability to read the field to a new town and have the guy who forced him to be a pocket QB despite his inability to read the field and be aware of what's going on around him join him?Yeah, that'll work.
Seriously...plus Vick's Top 5 days are behind him (if he really ever had them in a "non-fantasy" world). No problem with Reid, and if I were KC, I would cut off my arm for him. Also, did KC really "struggle" when Trent Green was at the helm. As a Jets fan who is 38, I never even had a "Trent Green"...or a even Joe Montana is the latter years. I've had one good year from Vinny...one.
You're forgetting Ray Lucas 1999 and Chad Pennington 2002. So you've got that going for you.

I'm not as high on Reid as most. He has been a great coach but I am concerned if he has the same fire he used to after dealing with the personal problems with his kids the last few years. I have no insight on this but would be certainly trying to determine if he is still the same old Andy Reid.

Vick is not the answer. A running, inaccurate QB who is getting old. Not a piece to build around.

I'm not as high on Reid as most. He has been a great coach but I am concerned if he has the same fire he used to after dealing with the personal problems with his kids the last few years. I have no insight on this but would be certainly trying to determine if he is still the same old Andy Reid.

Vick is not the answer. A running, inaccurate QB who is getting old. Not a piece to build around.
but as indicated in original post....better then what we have right now and there is no slam dunk QB in this draft....

Get Smith and hope for the best. Check down to Charles a lot, too.

halfway there..... :popcorn:
Jim Mora was halfway right. Vick's not only a coach killer he's a franchise killer.Vick has killed more coaches than Cecil B. Demille.Dan Reeves; Jim Mora Jr.; Bobby Quitrino; and now Andy Reed.Vick has also killed both of the franchises he's played for. Granted the best thing to ever happen to the Falcons is Vick going to Leavenworth, and Petrino doing the Pig Suey.Why would anyone want Vick...his history is the definition of insanity.

I can see Andy doing two things:

1) Signing either Alex Smith or (consolation prize) Matt Flynn...an experience West Coast offense QB

2) Drafting a QB he thinks can be the longer term answer

If KC gets Reid, I'd trust him to draft a QB. No clue if he liked Geno or not though. If he goes there, and they draft him, Reid's track record with QB's is good enough I'd bet he can get good performance out of him. If he passes though, I'd expect a QB to be drafted in the 2nd or 3rd.

If KC gets Reid, I'd trust him to draft a QB. No clue if he liked Geno or not though. If he goes there, and they draft him, Reid's track record with QB's is good enough I'd bet he can get good performance out of him. If he passes though, I'd expect a QB to be drafted in the 2nd or 3rd.
One thing you can count on is that Reid will draft a QB. What remains unclear is what round and how strongly he feels about the current class.Don't discount someone like Ryan Nassib, a local Philly kid that Andy and his staff know very, very well.

One thing you can count on is that Reid will draft a QB. What remains unclear is what round and how strongly he feels about the current class.Don't discount someone like Ryan Nassib, a local Philly kid that Andy and his staff know very, very well.
Yep, my $ is on Geno but if it isn't he's still drafting his starting QB anyway.

halfway there..... :popcorn:
Jim Mora was halfway right. Vick's not only a coach killer he's a franchise killer.Vick has killed more coaches than Cecil B. Demille.Dan Reeves; Jim Mora Jr.; Bobby Quitrino; and now Andy Reed.Vick has also killed both of the franchises he's played for. Granted the best thing to ever happen to the Falcons is Vick going to Leavenworth, and Petrino doing the Pig Suey.Why would anyone want Vick...his history is the definition of insanity.
Not a huge Vick fan but he didn't do anything to Quitrino, that guy is a born loser. If anything you could also say he extended Reid's stay at Philly because of what he did in 2010. That is why they kept giving this group of Eagles a chance to get it right. If they had kept Kolb he would have been fired at the end of last year at best.

There's almost ALWAYS a QB that makes his way into the top 5 and I'd expect the same thing this year. Barkley or Smith will be in KC if Reid is.

There's almost ALWAYS a QB that makes his way into the top 5 and I'd expect the same thing this year. Barkley or Smith will be in KC if Reid is.
Andy got his guy in Philly with McNabb, and I agree that IF he sees a guy at the top worth taking, he'll do so. But I also think Reid believes he can find great quarterbacks in lots of ways, and won't feel locked into going QB with the top pick simply for the sake of it.

I can see Andy doing two things:1) Signing either Alex Smith
Smith seems like such a perfect fit.
I don't see how. Smith has been successful in an attack that masks passing plays well and leans more heavily on the run game and a stout defense. He's failed in everything else thrown at him. Reid's pass heavy attack screams misfit imho.
Andy has won with the likes of Jeff Garcia, A.J. Feeley and Koy Detmer. Smith finished this year with a 100+ passer rating, has a strong arm, knows Reid's offense, and is mobile. No reason he can't hold down the fort while Reid's young protege learns the ropes.

I can see Andy doing two things:1) Signing either Alex Smith
Smith seems like such a perfect fit.
is he really THAT much better then Cassel or Quinn...?..as a KC fan...a Smith signing, while a slight upgrade to what we have now, really would have the feel of us just recycling other teams QB's like we have in the past...I realize the same could be said for Vick, but at least he comes with a little sizzle and can give KC maybe a few of those WOW moments at QB....we haven't had that in a very LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time.....even if it blows up in our face, it might be fun to watch for awhile.....Vick still makes other teams really gameplan against him...to me Cassel, Quinn, Smith, Grbac, etc are interchangeable....very vanilla and not something I want to get bored watching again....man...I don't know...I guess if Geno is the real deal...let's just do that and go with it....maybe take BPA with the #1 and then trade up again into the first for Geno or something....

Already a lot of rumors that many teams are interested in Alex Smith. He'd be going onto his 8th coordinator whereever he ends up outside of SF. That's an awfully big part of a career with nothing significant to show for it or having earned any coaches confidence. You look at the QB's in the playoffs this year. 6 of the 12 QB's are either rookies or 2nd year QB's. There was a time when QB's needed to be groomed and earn their stripes before they could ascend to playoff caliber ready QB status. That's a thing of the past. I highly doubt the Reid will go the recycle route when he sits at the top of the draft board. When the draft fever hits in April, he's going to pull the trigger on a franchise QB. It's just how it's done these days.

Users who are viewing this thread