What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vontaze Burfict (1 Viewer)

nobiz

Footballguy
Just want to praise this guy. I did a lot of research pre-season and went with him against the online pundits who suggested Butler or Wheeler ahead of him. Burfict (along with Lance Briggs) really carried my team. When he has his Bye in Week 10, I may keep him despite the fact I don't think I've ever been in the position to keep a Defensive player thru a Bye week. This guy is just too good.

Yeah I owned him last year and he was mostly great but for some reason I cooled on him a lot this offseason. I can't even remember why. Would certainly love to own him now.

Yeah I owned him last year and he was mostly great but for some reason I cooled on him a lot this offseason. I can't even remember why. Would certainly love to own him now.
He was talked down a lot on the internet, that he couldn't play every down, etc. I almost fell for it. His metrics looked better than Wheeler's, Ellerbe's or Butler's, guys ranked ahead of him. I just watched a few video clips. I guess I'm bragging a bit, but it does feel good to actually "watch the game" and realize some of the "pundits" don't.

Watching it last night, he looked to be moved to MLB with Maualuga out. I will rewatch to confirm this weekend. Hard to say that is ever a bad thing, but the way Burfict was rolling, probably any change is bad.

Watching it last night, he looked to be moved to MLB with Maualuga out. I will rewatch to confirm this weekend. Hard to say that is ever a bad thing, but the way Burfict was rolling, probably any change is bad.
Burfict played WLB, Rey played MLB.

Burfict played WLB, Rey played MLB.
Ok, thanks for correcting me then. That is what I was expecting going in, but they sure lined up a lot differently than normal, especially in nickel.

So why the poor output by Burfict, I wonder? Plus, I think it's a bad move to not have Burfict at MLB. I think he'd be great there.

Bengals run a Tampa 2 type defense, don't they? Made famous by Derrick Brooks, a WLB. There's a tendency to funnel tackles to the WLB in that type of defense. Not sure you (or the Bengals) want Burfict to switch to MLB.

I think Minnesota, Chicago, and Dallas all run a flavor of the Tampa 2. Note how the MLB isn't necessarily the best fantasy LB on these teams: Greenway > Henderson (until this year?), L.Briggs > DJ WIlliams (and now both out?), Burfict > Maualuga. It's not so in Dallas, but many though it would be. Bruce Carter just failed in his coverage duties and is splitting time with Ernie Sims now.

Bengals run a Tampa 2 type defense, don't they? Made famous by Derrick Brooks, a WLB. There's a tendency to funnel tackles to the WLB in that type of defense. Not sure you (or the Bengals) want Burfict to switch to MLB.

I think Minnesota, Chicago, and Dallas all run a flavor of the Tampa 2. Note how the MLB isn't necessarily the best fantasy LB on these teams: Greenway > Henderson (until this year?), L.Briggs > DJ WIlliams (and now both out?), Burfict > Maualuga. It's not so in Dallas, but many though it would be. Bruce Carter just failed in his coverage duties and is splitting time with Ernie Sims now.
Agreed. I wasn't really thinking about FF stats when that popped in my head. I think he covers ground and gets to the ball better than Maualuga and probably Rey (although I didn't get to see Rey this week).

That being said, Rey got 5TK and an assist at MLB (I believe) this week and Burfict got 5TK. If he was in his normal role at WLB why the low numbers? I didn't see the game - just fewer opportunities?

Bengals got the ball 1st in the 3rd quarter, had a long drive that resulted in a pick 6, then had another long drive where Gio got his 1st TD. Miami didn't get the ball until a couple minutes left in the third quarter and promptly went 3 and out. That sort of sequence can seriously limit tackle opportunities. The overtime should have helped, but Dolphins had two 3 and out drives then won on a safety.

TOP: Bengals 35:08 Dolphins 24:52

Leading tackler: G.Iloka 6-0, 3 with 5 solos. 9 others at 2-4 solos. Tackle opps just got split equally.

Miami ran it more than they ever do, but I noticed it was mostly runs up the middle and to the left (as I was monitoring Carlos Dunlap not stand a chance at a play, save for 50yds down the field). Not sure if they were weak-side or strong side runs though. Possibly they were avoiding Clabo's side, and also capitalizing on the injury to Atkins. Scanned the play-by-play: 12 runs up the middle, 14 to the left, 4 to the right. Weird.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bengals got the ball 1st in the 3rd quarter, had a long drive that resulted in a pick 6, then had another long drive where Gio got his 1st TD. Miami didn't get the ball until a couple minutes left in the third quarter and promptly went 3 and out. That sort of sequence can seriously limit tackle opportunities. The overtime should have helped, but Dolphins had two 3 and out drives then won on a safety.

TOP: Bengals 35:08 Dolphins 24:52

Leading tackler: G.Iloka 6-0, 3 with 5 solos. 9 others at 2-4 solos. Tackle opps just got split equally.

Miami ran it more than they ever do, but I noticed it was mostly runs up the middle and to the left (as I was monitoring Carlos Dunlap not stand a chance at a play, save for 50yds down the field). Not sure if they were weak-side or strong side runs though. Possibly they were avoiding Clabo's side, and also capitalizing on the injury to Atkins. Scanned the play-by-play: 12 runs up the middle, 14 to the left, 4 to the right. Weird.
Good stuff. Thanks.

Since you watched the game, and mentioned Dunlap specifically, could you give me a recap on how he looked? Any idea on his snaps? They staying high or is he getting rotated?

Don't have the snap counts yet, but i would guess it was somewhere between 90-100%. He looked fine, but he should have been better vs a bad right tackle. His tackle stats will be better when they run at him, but his sacks will probably remain average. He was less than half a step away when Johnson got his sack, very close to an assist on that one. The hatchet chop for the forced fumble 50yds down the field was extraordinary.

Don't have the snap counts yet, but i would guess it was somewhere between 90-100%. He looked fine, but he should have been better vs a bad right tackle. His tackle stats will be better when they run at him, but his sacks will probably remain average. He was less than half a step away when Johnson got his sack, very close to an assist on that one. The hatchet chop for the forced fumble 50yds down the field was extraordinary.
Thank you. If I could tip you, I would. Instead I clicked the "Like This" button which will only give you a sense of pride.

Are you talking about Dunlap? I know he got the FF on Miller on the long run.

Just thought Burfict should have a bump here. Looking for big things this season. If he can keep his head on straight, he's going to get PAID next year. I believe he'll be a restricted free agent.

Oh crap. Just got a note that he went out with a "head" injury, and didn't return the second half. Did anyone see it? Concussion? Or was it more of a neck tweak?

Oh crap. Just got a note that he went out with a "head" injury, and didn't return the second half. Did anyone see it? Concussion? Or was it more of a neck tweak?
He hit Flacco, and Flacco's knee came up to his head/neck area on the way to the ground. Definately more concussion.

Just saw this on Twitter:

Sports DO @Sports_DOman
#Bengals Vontaze Burfict went through concussion protocol. Will likely be questionable through week until Friday. Expect him to play nxt wk

Just read in an AP post that Burfict has a pinched nerve in his neck, and it isn't being listed as anything concussion related, for those of us worrying that he'd be out for a while. Hopefully this is true and there's no concussion symptoms that surface.

JFS171 said:
Practicing today... on my waiver wire. Considering dropping Worrilow for him.
I think i would keep Worrilow. I don't know. It's hard to trust a guy coming off two concussions, especially in a position with constant contact. Not to mention, he also got a contract extension earlier this year. Some (not all) players do not play as recklessly after their first big contract.

I don't think it's accurate that he got another concussion yesterday. They said they were cautious and checked him for a hit due to his recent problems, but was quickly cleared with no issue.

how can a guy be concussed for 4 or 5 weeks, then get KO'd during his next game even be considered to be let back in; nevermind doing it.

This needs to be a bigger deal, the Begals took a huge chance because even if he was ok, if he got hurt again it would be a mess.

After he has a few big games, I'm debating selling him because of his concussion issues. I love the guy (his play on the field) but just can't shake the feeling that he's going to get dinged again and be out for a long time (maybe forever).

####!!

He went out this game again with a "neck" injury.

This guy and his neck. I'm not sure if that's code for "concussion" or not, and he's hiding them, but he can't stay in a game this year.

Rotoworld called it a cervical strain but then offered no info on how long this typically keeps players out:

Bengals WLB Vontaze Burfict has been diagnosed with a cervical strain.

Advice: Burfict suffered the injury when the crown of his helmet made contact with Andrew Luck. It's a scary situation for a player that has had some serious concussion issues already. Safety Taylor Mays rookie Marquis Flowers were forced to fill in for Burfict with the Bengals linebacking corps absolutely decimated.

Paging Dr. Bramel... please pick up the courtesy phone.

Based on the limited information available, what is the prognosis on a cervical strain?

Thanks!

Can't imagine he is a viable option the rest of the year because of head injuries. Rey's numbers climbed yesterday and I expect him to be the guy to own from here on.

Paging Dr. Bramel... please pick up the courtesy phone.

Based on the limited information available, what is the prognosis on a cervical strain?

Thanks!
1-4 weeks. Players return when they have enough strength and range of motion to protect their head/neck.

Two caveats here.

1. Bengals do not accurately report their own injuries. This could be muscle strain, ligament strain around the spine or stinger. Variable return estimates with each, some closer to four weeks, some much less.

2. Burfict left last week's game to be evaluated, too. If yesterday's injury was aggravation of that neck condition -- and it feels like it probably was -- I'd err on 2-4 weeks over 1-2 weeks.

Probably won't know more -- unless Marvin Lewis feels especially generous today -- until the Thursday/Friday practice reports.

Ugh, rough. With this being the 3rd head/neck injury of the year (and as you mentioned, likely an aggravation of the prior neck issue), I don't see them rushing him back. Rey had a monster of a game so maybe he's the fill in there...

Lucky I grabbed Levy as my LB2. Also can't complain too much -- lotta guys have lost top LBs for the season and posluszny fell this week.

Coaches working with Burfict to change his tackling technique.

I love the way he plays, but he's not going to last long if this continues, and I don't see it changing. If you are hurt in almost every game in the season, and you still go out the very next game and lead with your helmet, then you're not getting the memo, or it's not sticking with you when you enter the game.

I think the writing is on the wall with this guy - either concussions or neck/head injuries are going to send him to early retirement. I hope not - for him, the city of Cincinnati and least of all my fantasy team.

But I have a bad feeling here. I'm putting him on the trade block after this week's game. I'd advise others to do the same, unless you've got no other options.

Mychal Kendricks may be back this week, and could be still out there if you need a filler after a Burfict Trade. Greenway came back last week (he's probably not on your WW anymore). Some others probably still out there on your WW, too.

I'd be worried about Kendrick's ability to play 100% this week, though. Acho, Matthews, and Barwin have been filling in decently for him since he's been gone. I don't think they play him at 100% snaps this week because his calf injury is still healing. He is a good pickup, but I'd be careful about starting him this week in my opinion.

I'd be worried about Kendrick's ability to play 100% this week, though. Acho, Matthews, and Barwin have been filling in decently for him since he's been gone. I don't think they play him at 100% snaps this week because his calf injury is still healing. He is a good pickup, but I'd be careful about starting him this week in my opinion.
I would agree with that. I'd be hesitant his first week back, as well.

Users who are viewing this thread