What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Garage Door Opener (1 Viewer)

CrossEyed

Footballguy
I need to install an opener in a brand new garage. Are there any brands that are easier or more difficult to install, or are they all pretty much the same?

I've replaced a couple in the past, but never had to put one up where there never was one before.

I've only installed Craftsman, but I would have to imagine they are all about the same.

All pretty much the same. The track is the biggest pain in the ###.

You are technically supposed to replace the track with the opener but I just left the old one up.

my father swears by his Genie :shrug:

Get the belt driven over chain; its much quieter. We have a Chamberlain and have had no issues with it.

They're easy to install - just take your time mounting the track.

One other thing, we have a single garage door for a two car garage. Should I go with a 3/4 hp or is a 1/2 hp sufficient?

One other thing, we have a single garage door for a two car garage. Should I go with a 3/4 hp or is a 1/2 hp sufficient?
I think it depends on if it is insulated or not..

My father has a Double Car Garage door that isn't insulated and their 1/2 hp works just fine.

An Insulated Door is heavier and we are going to go with a 3/4 hp one to be safe. :shrug:

Thanks guys. Any tips/tricks for mounting the track?
Make sure you hit a stud. It'll go up in drywall, and some kits give you those big drywall anchors. If your garage is finished, and there isn't a stud where the track mounts to the wall, get a 20" piece of 2x4 and use lag bolts to bolt it into the two studs that straddle the center of your door (where the track goes). Then, mount the track to that.

When we bought our house, the previous owner mounted to drywall b/c there was no center stud. Dang door made so much noise and bucked around a lot. After I replaced it with a 3/4 HP belt drive, and made a solid header mount for the bar, it was super quiet and sturdy.

I have a 3/4...It wasn't that much more cost wise. You may be able to get by with lower HP if you tighten your springs up some. Shortening the cable to increase the spring tension can help the opener "see" a little less weight.

Users who are viewing this thread