What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL 'The Following' TV Series Thread*** (1 Viewer)

goonsquad

Think different.
Developed by Ken Williamson, the creator/writer of the Scream movies. :popcorn:

The Following

THE FBI estimates there are currently up to 300 active serial killers in the United States. What would happen if these killers had a way of communicating and connecting with each other? What if they were able to work together and form alliances as they left a trail of blood across the country? What if one brilliant and charismatic, yet psychotic serial killer was able to bring them all together and activate a cult of believers following his every command?

Welcome to THE FOLLOWING, the psychological thriller from creator/executive producer Kevin Williamson (The Vampire Diaries, Dawsons Creek, the Scream franchise).

THE FBI estimates there are currently up to 300 active serial killers in the United States. What would happen if these killers had a way of communicating and connecting with each other? What if they were able to work together and form alliances as they left a trail of blood across the country? What if one brilliant and charismatic, yet psychotic serial killer was able to bring them all together and activate a cult of believers following his every command?Welcome to THE FOLLOWING, the psychological thriller from creator/executive producer Kevin Williamson (The Vampire Diaries, Dawsons Creek, the Scream franchise).
That sounds terrible.

THE FBI estimates there are currently up to 300 active serial killers in the United States. What would happen if these killers had a way of communicating and connecting with each other? What if they were able to work together and form alliances as they left a trail of blood across the country? What if one brilliant and charismatic, yet psychotic serial killer was able to bring them all together and activate a cult of believers following his every command?Welcome to THE FOLLOWING, the psychological thriller from creator/executive producer Kevin Williamson (The Vampire Diaries, Dawsons Creek, the Scream franchise).
That sounds terrible.
Sure does.The commercials for it looked promising.

THE FBI estimates there are currently up to 300 active serial killers in the United States. What would happen if these killers had a way of communicating and connecting with each other? What if they were able to work together and form alliances as they left a trail of blood across the country? What if one brilliant and charismatic, yet psychotic serial killer was able to bring them all together and activate a cult of believers following his every command?

Welcome to THE FOLLOWING, the psychological thriller from creator/executive producer Kevin Williamson (The Vampire Diaries, Dawsons Creek, the Scream franchise).
That sounds terrible.
Yeah, that's the IMDB synopsis. Looks better than it sounds, though: Poetry Of A Killer

That sounds terrible.
Sure does.The commercials for it looked promising.
The only commercial I saw was Kevin Bacon walking towards that Brit dude that showed off his wang in HBO's "Rome".

The Following

Ooof. I enjoy stories about serial killers and Kevin Bacon/Hannibal Lecter piqued my interest. But this sounds awful. He's unionizing serial killers. Huzzah.

I've seen the pilot. It's exceptionally good. This show is probably the closest thing to a cable-TV drama on network television.

Here's my original review of the pilot:

THE FOLLOWING (FOX Drama, Midseason 2013, Kevin Bacon as a serial-killer hunter): Wow. This one left no questions as to where it was going. It's very much like Manhunter/Red Dragon, the first Hannibal Lecter story, where a retired detective has to come back and deal with his nemesis one last time. But man oh man, is this an intense TV show. Stunningly graphic, I have no idea if what I saw will get onto network television in its current form. Light years more graphic than anything 24 showed. And tense, there are moments where you're just on edge ready to scream or jump. There were at least two scenes my GF could not watch, she had to bury her face in my shoulder to not see the screen. One was pretty short, 10 seconds or so, where she saw what was going to happen and looked away in time. But the second scene, Kevin Bacon is tracking down a lead and sees something in a suspect's house that makes him think there's a crime scene nearby... GF immediately grasped what was coming up and just said "Oh God no, not that..." and her head was in my shoulder again. For about three minutes. She kept asking "Is it over yet?" then she would hear something that would make her scream. "No honey, not yet." This show is dark in every sense of the word. If you can stomach it, you'll like it. If not, just get ready to watch through your fingers. This one is a limited series, much like a cable show they're only going to make 15 episodes in a season, so expect it to be one of the shows that starts up in January every year.

I've seen the pilot. It's exceptionally good. This show is probably the closest thing to a cable-TV drama on network television.

THE FOLLOWING (FOX Drama, Midseason 2013, Kevin Bacon as a serial-killer hunter): Wow. This one left no questions as to where it was going. It's very much like Manhunter/Red Dragon, the first Hannibal Lecter story, where a retired detective has to come back and deal with his nemesis one last time. But man oh man, is this an intense TV show. Stunningly graphic, I have no idea if what I saw will get onto network television in its current form. Light years more graphic than anything 24 showed. And tense, there are moments where you're just on edge ready to scream or jump. There were at least two scenes my GF could not watch, she had to bury her face in my shoulder to not see the screen. One was pretty short, 10 seconds or so, where she saw what was going to happen and looked away in time. But the second scene, Kevin Bacon is tracking down a lead and sees something in a suspect's house that makes him think there's a crime scene nearby... GF immediately grasped what was coming up and just said "Oh God no, not that..." and her head was in my shoulder again. For about three minutes. She kept asking "Is it over yet?" then she would hear something that would make her scream. "No honey, not yet." This show is dark in every sense of the word. If you can stomach it, you'll like it. If not, just get ready to watch through your fingers. This one is a limited series, much like a cable show they're only going to make 15 episodes in a season, so expect it to be one of the shows that starts up in January every year.
Nice! :thumbup:

'Dr. Awesome said:
'goonsquad said:

The Following

Ooof. I enjoy stories about serial killers and Kevin Bacon/Hannibal Lecter piqued my interest. But this sounds awful. He's unionizing serial killers. Huzzah.
I'm hoping that it's more like an internet-age take on the Manson Family.

I was interested before reading your review. Well done. :thumbup:

MONDAY, JANUARY 21**SERIES PREMIERE**--"THE FOLLOWING" - (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) CC-AD-HDTV 720p-Dolby Digital 5.1PA: Viewer discretion is advised.RYAN HARDY IS CALLED OUT OF RETIREMENT TO TRACK DOWN JOE CARROLL ON THE SERIES PREMIERE OF "THE FOLLOWING" MONDAY, JANUARY 21, ON FOXKevin Bacon Stars in His First Network SeriesFormer FBI agent, RYAN HARDY (Kevin Bacon) is called out of retirement to track down JOE CARROLL (James Purefoy) after he escapes from prison. Hardy works closely with an FBI team, which includes young, razor-sharp MIKE WESTON (Shawn Ashmore). The investigation also leads Hardy back to CLAIRE MATTHEWS (Natalie Zea), Carroll's ex-wife and the mother of the criminal's young son, JOEY (newcomer Kyle Catlett). Hardy soon discovers that Carroll has an ever-growing cult of followers in the series premiere "Pilot" episode of THE FOLLOWING airing Monday, Jan. 21 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (FOL-101) (TV-14 L, V)Cast: Kevin Bacon as Ryan Hardy; James Purefoy as Joe Carroll; Natalie Zea as Claire Matthews; Shawn Ashmore as Agent Mike Weston; Valorie Curry as Denise; Adan Canto as Billy Thomas; Nico Tortorella as Will Wilson; Kyle Catlett as Joey MatthewsGuest Cast: Maggie Grace as Sarah Fuller; John Lafayette as Captain Turner

I plan on giving it a shot... seems like a show my wife might be interested as well.I don't expect too much though.

Don't really care for the cast other than Bacon, and the writing wasn't great. Decent suspense though.But who doesn't love a show about serial killers? I'll watch a few more

It was in an awful hurry, as most pilots are these days, but nothing i couldnt forgive. But it lost me by the conclusion for a very strange reason: I lost all 'respect' for the mastermind in his mission statement at the end. I dont fear that he has tapped anything more mysterious than a massive ego in his raison d'etre and that's a snoozer.

I've never been in a cult, so I don't know how it works, but...

I have no problem buying the idea that a cultist could turn into a kidnapper or a serial killer, or even suicidal for the cult... But to fake being gay for three whole years – no effing way.
That said, enjoyed the first episode. Definitely in for the season.

'Frankbot said:

I have no problem buying the idea that a cultist could turn into a kidnapper or a serial killer, or even suicidal for the cult... But to fake being gay for three whole years – no effing way.

Why? I think faking that would be a lot easier to do than become a kidnapper/serial killer or commit suicide. They only really had to interact with her most of the time. Pretty sure after her attack, she would have been almost a shut in, so these guys probably got to know her over time and then became good friends. Wouldn't surprise me to know that they were her only good friends, so easy to act in front of her and just interact on a colleague type level with anyone else.Anyway, not sure why the cult thing bothers anyone. I guess if you haven't had any experience, it may be hard to believe (kind of like the catfish/T'eo stuff that is hard to believe, but does happen), but just look at all the cults where people took their lives. There really isn't any place farther to go than taking your life because someone told you to do so. It has happened and doesn't seem hard to believe at all that someone they have built up as a charismatic guy could build up a following that would do anything asked of them.

'Frankbot said:

How do you know they were actually faking it?

Solid first episode. Definitely forced the character development and hoping they'll slow things down a tad. It hasn't hooked me yet but anything with serial killers always has great potential.

'Frankbot said:

How do you know they were actually faking it?They had Kevin Bacon theorize as much during the garage scene. I'm assuming he's right, but maybe not. Anyway, I was just trying to make a funny - those guys definitely drew the short straws on cult assignment day. I would've been trying to trade with one of the suiciders if I were them. I pictured them opening their assignment envelopes and it just says "three years of gay", followed by immediate regret and wondering what they've gotten themselves into.

My wife liked the show but she is out after one episode as she can't handle the violence. I'm pretty sure in the season scenes they showed one of the fake gay guys making out with the nanny who has shorter hair than me.I've never understood the fascination with viewers wondering if something they see on TV could happen in real life, I watch this type of stuff as an escape from reality and find it much more enjoyable to suspend disbelief.

My wife liked the show but she is out after one episode as she can't handle the violence. I'm pretty sure in the season scenes they showed one of the fake gay guys making out with the nanny who has shorter hair than me.I've never understood the fascination with viewers wondering if something they see on TV could happen in real life, I watch this type of stuff as an escape from reality and find it much more enjoyable to suspend disbelief.
:goodposting: Was about to post about the preview where they mentioned the nanny and one of the gay guys and then the nanny and the other gay guy sort of fighting, i.e. a love triangle.Also, agreed on the suspension of belief, although when we have real life examples of whackos (Newtown, CT and tons of multiple suicide cults) doing similar stuff I don't think we are suspending any belief.

I'm all for suspending belief, but there is degrees of suspension of belief I am willing to take and others that just go to far. The Following is pushing it, IMO...that's all. I'm really into Serial Killers and have been for years so I'm willing to take the ride at this point. We'll see...

Horrible television. Rushed and contrived. The cop chick with the huge chocolate chip mole on her cheek didnt help. Out.

I'm all for suspending belief, but there is degrees of suspension of belief I am willing to take and others that just go to far. The Following is pushing it, IMO...that's all. I'm really into Serial Killers and have been for years so I'm willing to take the ride at this point. We'll see...
:confused: I don't get what is being pushed? What is so unbelievable that we can't find an example of it? Pretty sure all serial killers in jail have had people who visit them a lot and in some cases women have married (or become engaged, not sure if the marriage is technically possible/just reported that way). We have had tons of cults where people have done all kinds of stupid things from giving up normal lives to pan handle all the way to mass suicides for a leader, whom some may say isn't much different from a serial killer.

Horrible television. Rushed and contrived. The cop chick with the huge chocolate chip mole on her cheek didnt help. Out.
I will agree on the mole girl. I know I have seen her before. She seems almost pretty, but that mole/complexion just seems like something you can't get by.

:confused: I don't get what is being pushed? What is so unbelievable that we can't find an example of it? Pretty sure all serial killers in jail have had people who visit them a lot and in some cases women have married (or become engaged, not sure if the marriage is technically possible/just reported that way). We have had tons of cults where people have done all kinds of stupid things from giving up normal lives to pan handle all the way to mass suicides for a leader, whom some may say isn't much different from a serial killer.
I just think creating a cult from behind prision walls using a computer is pushing it. Not saying it is totally bat####crazy off the wall, but it is pushing what I consider acceptable suspension of belief

I just think creating a cult from behind prision walls using a computer is pushing it. Not saying it is totally bat####crazy off the wall, but it is pushing what I consider acceptable suspension of belief
This has gone on long enough.It's called "suspension of disbelief", not "suspension of belief."

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm, I don't get that either for a couple reasons. First, the guard knew Carroll, he wasn't contacted via computer. That means that he could have easily helped out more than we know inside and out. Second, with all the catfish/T'eo discussions, do you really think it is outlandish that a famous serial killer couldn't convince whackos online to join him? Years ago, maybe I agree with you, but in today's world, it seems like that would be far easier and more likely. The gay guys and the nanny were all early 20s, so definitely the crowd you would expect to be all over social media. Not sure how old you are because that could play a factor in your pushing the envelope. Like I mentioned above, I can't quite wrap my head around the T'eo situation and all those other stories, but they obviously happen. I just accept that it does happen even though I never did online dating and am not a big Facebook/Instagram/whatever guy.

I like how they made a semi-known actress get offed. That was a surprise imo. Like drew barrymore n scream

I hate to be watching anything bugs is watching after the Lost debacle.I'm in - but it merely kept my attention. Fair to good at best.Way to cliche.

I like how they made a semi-known actress get offed. That was a surprise imo. Like drew barrymore n scream
I would suggest not getting that attached to any characters outside of Kevin Bacon and the serial killer, my guess is several "regular" characters are killed through the course of this season.

Users who are viewing this thread