What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sports announcers saying stupid things -- post 'em in here (1 Viewer)

Raider Nation

Devil's Advocate
It's time. I can't take it anymore. There are so many dumb play-by-play guys and analysts out there right now, this should get bumped hourly. We had fun in the wagering thread with this last night, which gave me the idea.

got_nugs said:
Omfg I'm buying a plane ticket to nevada now so I can go stab that announcer in the neck.

Inside your own 30, up 4 at home early in the 3rd "now is a great time for a fake punt".
Raider Nation said:
"Mike, I assume if you're Nevada, you want to shorten this game."

No, no, no.... up by 8, we'd like to go 3-and-out as fast as humanly possible to give the ball back to Washington State.
ETA: I was going to make this football-only, but there is plenty of dumb to be found in the booth at basketball and baseball games too.

;

;

;

Last edited by a moderator:
This is going way back, but I still remember Solomon Wilcox interviewing Broncos coach Mike Shanahan on the sideline before a Sunday night game in 1998 (I think against the Chargers), the year after they won the Super Bowl, and in the interview, Wilcox asked if repeating was one of their goals. :lmao: :lmao:

"No, actually we'd like to get bounced in the divisional round." :lol: :lol:

Effin Joe Buck.

The greatest thing he ever did was come out of his father's penis.

Larry Merchant to Buster Douglas post Tyson knockout... "the death of your mother did what- focus your mind... what.

Well I posted it in the game thread when it happened Thursday night, but Cris Collinsworth said this during the broadcast: "I played against that '85 Bears team in '86"

Later in the same broadcast from Al Michaels: "Not much room in the back end" (in reference to the Seahawks defensive backfield, obviously :oldunsure: )

This is going way back, but I still remember Solomon Wilcox interviewing Broncos coach Mike Shanahan on the sideline before a Sunday night game in 1998 (I think against the Chargers), the year after they won the Super Bowl, and in the interview, Wilcox asked if repeating was one of their goals. :lmao: :lmao:

"No, actually we'd like to get bounced in the divisional round." :lol: :lol:
I don't know if Wilcox still calls games but he's awful. Did at least 2 Steeler games a few years ago and simply couldn't pronounce some names. It was Mendinghall and ROTlisberger(no h emphasis on the rot). It got so bad the other guy was over pronouncing both names trying to give him the hint.

He's the poster child for long term brain injuries in the NFL.

Joe Buck when he and Aikman first sign on at the beginning of the game. Watch Buck when Aikman is talking. Buck will always look at Aikman for a second feigning interest, and then he'll turn to the camera with this swarmy little smirk.

Makes me want to want to kick his ### every time.

The phrase "young rookie". Not young player, not rookie, but "young rookie". Yes, every so often there is a washed out baseball player that enters the NFL at an age most would not say is a "young rookie". But there are exceptions to everything. The use of "young rookie" just sounds odd and offers nothing further to the description of the player.

I already feel bad for pointing this one out. I apologize for those that will now notice it 25 times today.

ChiefD said:
Joe Buck when he and Aikman first sign on at the beginning of the game. Watch Buck when Aikman is talking. Buck will always look at Aikman for a second feigning interest, and then he'll turn to the camera with this swarmy little smirk.

Makes me want to want to kick his ### every time.
That look on Buck's face when he does that has creeped me out for years, and I've actually done a turnaround on him, not minding him now. Still, that weird thing he does: oof. Just keep looking at Aikman, Joe.

This is more generalized to a lot of them, but when fans are yelling "deuce" or "coop" or some other name with some bass in it, I cringe when I have to be reminded those fans aren't booing.

Solomon Wilcots just said the Ravens should go for the game winning score down by 7.

Now he is generally surprised they are going for it on 4th down with a minute left down by 7.

Does he not understand basic math?

I don't know if Wilcox still calls games but he's awful.
1 minute to go, Ravens are down 7 to the Bengals 4th and 8 at the 20 yard line and the booth were discussing whether the Ravens go for it or take the field goal. Then again as it turns out maybe the field goal was the better choice.

I've always had one pet peeve with Simms. He does it constantly.

"On Friday, we asked John Fox about Wes Welker, and what did he tell us.....?"

I give up, Phil. I wasn't in the meeting. What DID he tell you?!

I've always had one pet peeve with Simms. He does it constantly.

"On Friday, we asked John Fox about Wes Welker, and what did he tell us.....?"

I give up, Phil. I wasn't in the meeting. What DID he tell you?!
I think he's asking some dude in the headset...cause he sure doesn't have a clue.

Start counting how many times Cris Carter says "the national football league"

If he is giving a long form response about a major topic like rules changes, suspended players, policies, etc he can't talk for more than 20 seconds without saying it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris Collinsworth is a disaster. I mean, I am not the most articulate guy in the world, but I also don't get paid to announce a game.

Do the right thing, Chris, retire and save us all.

Can we include the moronic updates and idiotic questions asked by dumb female sideline reporters who are only there because they have #### and a ######?

Can we include the moronic updates and idiotic questions asked by dumb female sideline reporters who are only there because they have #### and a ######?
Go for it. Some of them actually have sports experience, but mostly they are useless.

And if Phil Simms calls something a "bang bang play" one more time, I'm going to find him and throw a shoe at him.

Johnny Miller takes the cake for me.

Between his hyperbole, "If you gave him 500 chances to make this chip, he might make one" to way he phrases questions to the on-course talent, "He's got no shot here. Wouldn't you say that's right Peter?" (making any reply other than "You're right Johnny" sound like their questioning his omniscient presence in the booth).

F that guy.

Tom Hammond is one of the worst. The guy covers one team (Notre Dame) as the play by play guy and butchers names he should obviously know left and right:

- Calls opposing D Coordinator the ND D Coordinator's name and questions why he's in the box (he wasn't, he was on ND's sideline)

- Everett Golston instead of Golson

- Jason Smith instead of Jaylon Smith

- "Fenway Field" was another gem last night

One of the best was watching the team line up for a field goal, he calls it good before the kid kicks it, then the kick bounces off the upright and in. His first comment was how unfortunately stupid it'd have made him look if the guy had missed it.

Phil Simms make no sense constantly. @philsimmsquotes on twitter. He actually says these things on air.

https://twitter.com/philsimmsquotes/status/508691321255907329

https://twitter.com/philsimmsquotes/status/508696809162936322
He also explains things even most women know. "What he did right there was hand the ball off. That's the normal way a QB gets the ball from himself to a running back."
:lmao:

Heem

HEEEEEM

He said the phrase "talked about" 39 times on the Thursday night game. 39. Only 17 today. Wonder if somebody showed him this https://twitter.com/philsimmsquotes/status/510267259714273280

Users who are viewing this thread