What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Woman gets 100 cat calls in 10 hours in NYC (1 Viewer)

Das Boot

Footballguy
Video is in the link... it kind of makes you want to take a shower after watching it, it's pretty disheartening.

What 10 hours of street harassment in NYC looks like
By Emanuella Grinberg , CNN
updated 11:51 PM EDT, Tue October 28, 2014 CNN.com

"DAMN."
"You don't wanna talk?"
This is just a sampling of what one woman in jeans and a T-shirt experienced in 10 hours of walking
through the streets of New York City. Her experience was filmed and edited into a 1:56 public service
announcement for anti-street-harassment group Hollaback!
Inspired by the experiences of his girlfriend, shooter Rob Bliss reached out to Hollaback! to partner on the
PSA highlighting the impact of street harassment. For 10 hours, he walked with a camera in his backpack
in front of Shoshana B. Roberts, as she carried with two microphones in her hands.
Street harassment disproportionately impacts women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, and young
people, the group says on its website: "Although the degree to which Shoshana gets harassed is
shocking, the reality is that the harassment that people of color and LGBTQ individuals face is oftentimes
more severe and more likely to escalate into violence."
Within hours of the video being posted to YouTube, commenters began posting threatening remarks,
prompting Hollaback! to request help policing the video.

I'm not sure if I should admit that I think she is very attractive, and that Shoshana is a sexy name. :oldunsure:

I saw a bunch of guys who were truly wondering how she was doing. She seems to be anti-social. :shrug:
Somebody posted this on FB and the overwhelming majority of the replies were women saying how the majority of the men were NOT over the line and the girl in the vid came off bad.
She was averaging 10 per hour, which means that the vast majority of men she walked by weren't bothering her.

I don't think she did anything wrong though, she was just walking down the street.

Even though we know it's realistic to expect cat calls and that it's going to happen, harassment like this shouldn't be acceptable.

I saw a bunch of guys who were truly wondering how she was doing. She seems to be anti-social. :shrug:
Somebody posted this on FB and the overwhelming majority of the replies were women saying how the majority of the men were NOT over the line and the girl in the vid came off bad.
She came off bad from walking silently down the street?
In their opinion the majority of the men weren't being disrespectful.

ETA- when someone says hello it's common courtesy to say hello back.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK. Now what about the part about her coming off badly?

She was averaging 10 per hour, which means that the vast majority of men she walked by weren't bothering her.

I don't think she did anything wrong though, she was just walking down the street.

Even though we know it's realistic to expect cat calls and that it's going to happen, harassment like this shouldn't be acceptable.
Slightly hyperbolish, no?

"Most of these were a compliment. You say hi or thank you and keep moving"

"Girl please, that's not harassment ! The guy who walked beside her was close but I'm sure he did it cause he spoke and she didn't ".

"Eeeew, could she be less friendly?"

All from women.

I'm not defending cat callers , cause there are few things less cringeworthy then a bunch of dudes yelling "Hey!" Or "DAMN!!!!", however I don't think asking a woman how she is or saying hello is harassment.

I'll also add that I'm not a fan of these kinda vids. Reminds me of those DBs who purposefully mess with cops while videotaping the encounter, specifically when it's coming from an. "Aspiring actress".

With all of that being said..... She's not even that hot!!!!

"Most of these were a compliment. You say hi or thank you and keep moving"

"Girl please, that's not harassment ! The guy who walked beside her was close but I'm sure he did it cause he spoke and she didn't ".

All from women.
Women can be clueless too, there were women who were defending Ray Rice.

"Most of these were a compliment. You say hi or thank you and keep moving""Girl please, that's not harassment ! The guy who walked beside her was close but I'm sure he did it cause he spoke and she didn't ".

All from women.
Hey, whatever fits your argument, Susan B Anthony.

"Most of these were a compliment. You say hi or thank you and keep moving""Girl please, that's not harassment ! The guy who walked beside her was close but I'm sure he did it cause he spoke and she didn't ".

All from women.
I can't argue with your logic that since other women criticized what this woman filmed, her experience is invalidated.

We stand united

All from women.
I can't argue with your logic that since other women criticized what this woman filmed, her experience is invalidated.

We stand united
I never said any of that. I simply shared the opinions of women who've watched this.

It was you who invalidated the opinions of the women I posted by stating " women can be pretty clueless.... "

All from women.

We stand united
I never said any of that. I simply shared the opinions of women who've watched this.

It was you who invalidated the opinions of the women I posted by stating " women can be pretty clueless.... "
Anyone, man or woman, who believes that the men in this video were just being friendly and well intentioned and complimentary is certainly entitled to that opinion.

:mellow:

Dumb video by an attention seeking ho. Wouldn't be surprised if she post yoga pants selfies to instagram. Insecure women are cute.

Anyone, man or woman, who believes that the men in this video were just being friendly and well intentioned and complimentary is certainly entitled to that opinion.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say their intentions were to have sex with her.

Do you not have a penis?

I find all these cries about harassment to be highly discriminatory. Is hot FBGers, Wehrmacht we do cat calls, we get a blush and a phone number. When ugly guy does it, he gets a complaint filed and loses his job.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say their intentions were to have sex with her.

Do you not have a penis?
A lot of drama here over nothing. An average women can walk around and get hit on by a hundred guys. The one dude following her for a while was borderline harrassment, the other guys were just throwing out compliments and were fairly polite about it. This really constitutes harrassment?

Do you not have a penis?
A lot of drama here over nothing. An average women can walk around and get hit on by a hundred guys. The one dude following her for a while was borderline harrassment, the other guys were just throwing out compliments and were fairly polite about it. This really constitutes harrassment?
To put this into context, if those were coworkers and her bosses had refused to fix this issue I think there'd be an extremely clear cut case of a hostile work environment for women, and a very strong legal case against the employer. Yeah, I think that's harassment.

Also, "Damn!" isn't really a polite compliment.

I'm not defending cat callers , cause there are few things less cringeworthy then a bunch of dudes yelling "Hey!" Or "DAMN!!!!", however I don't think asking a woman how she is or saying hello is harassment.

I'll also add that I'm not a fan of these kinda vids. Reminds me of those DBs who purposefully mess with cops while videotaping the encounter, specifically when it's coming from an. "Aspiring actress".

With all of that being said..... She's not even that hot!!!!
This

Also, "Damn!" isn't really a polite compliment.
That depends on the listener, and that depends on the culture.DJs were taking calls about this video on the radio this morning. Some women were offended, some weren't. Latinas and sistas pointed out that it's largely cultural, it happens more in black and Hispanic communities (as the video suggests), and it's generally more accepted in those communities than in, say, a middle class white neighborhood. One or two of the ladies even said they get a little sad if no guy hollers at them.

But even if you don't think "Damn!" Is polite, that doesn't mean that it necessarily rises to the level of harassment.

The guys walking alongside her for blocks on end or that dude who seems to offer a thousand dollars, on the other hand, are definitely creepy.

Many of the people were just being polite. This is a very good illustration of how offense cannot be given, it can only be taken. When you go out looking to be offended, you will be. If you go out looking for people smiling, you will find those too.

Do you not have a penis?
That's kind of the point.

In a bar, probably to be expected.

Just walking down the street?

That's over the line, Smokey.

Many of the people were just being polite. This is a very good illustration of how offense cannot be given, it can only be taken. When you go out looking to be offended, you will be. If you go out looking for people smiling, you will find those too.
I'm going to guess those guys weren't being polite to:

other guys

older women

less attractive women

So once we narrow it down to the subset of poeple they were being polite and friendly and complimentary toward, it looks a little less magnanimous.

Users who are viewing this thread