What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Locked out of my house (1 Viewer)

the moops

Footballguy
Flew out here to Monterey, CA last week. We lost our keys on the flight out here. No luck with airline lost and found.

We just moved into a new house a month ago, so apparently no locksmith will open the door without and ID with the address on it. Neither the wife or I have such an ID.

Pretty sure all the windows are locked. I know that the front door dead bolt is not locked though (been sticking and when we left I couldnt get it locked so just left it).

We get in at 9PM tomorrow night and have a 1 and 3 year old, so not sure I want to spend too much time trying to break in.

Any suggestions?

I'm thinking after I fail with the stupid credit card trick, I will just take a hammer to the front doorknob. Just bust that thing right off then dismantle the lock that way. Yea? Stupid?

I would rather not break a window.

So...

Seems like maybe a broken window might be cheaper than a broken door, but I'm just spitballin.

If you do go the door route, maybe whack the back door instead of the front one - it might be cheaper to replace, and you wouldn't have quite the cosmetic outward appearance pressure to fix it as quickly as the front door.

If there's a chance someone will see you and call the cops because it looks like your house is being robbed, it might be a good idea to let the cops know ahead of time what you're doing.

Your not going to trick me into giving you tips to break into someones house.

No proof not your house partner. Oh the old lost my keys routine I've heard it a hundred times.

Two minutes with a credit card should get you in the front door. Door knob locks are worthless.

BTW, fix your deadbolt.

Last edited by a moderator:
This outrageous requirement for ID is suppressing the basic right of home occupation. ####### republicans. :rant:

From a guy who is replacing a window today, there have to be MUCH cheaper options.

You have no documents you can pull up on your phone from closing?

From a guy who is replacing a window today, there have to be MUCH cheaper options.

You have no documents you can pull up on your phone from closing?
Without the deadbolt locked as the OP said, the front door will be a breeze to get into.

Call the police and tell them there's been a crime committed at your house. They'll get the door open.

Do you or your wife have a driver's license? Any mail in your mailbox that has your name with the current address? Show those to a locksmith.

Climb the house to the top of the roof.

Jump up and down and create a hole.

Crawl down hole.

Wala. You are now in your house.

If you haven't changed the locks yet call the previous owners. They probably still have a key. :D

Has no one ever opened a door with a credit card? I think you all would be shocked how easy it is.
Some doors are easier than others. Exterior doors (newer ones) have the separate part of the latch that doesn't slide back when a CC is inserted. Also if a door seats really tightly against the jamb like mine does you're not getting a CC in there.

A bathroom or kitchen window must be rather small ...seems most cost efficient to break one of those, unlock it, and crawl in.

Has no one ever opened a door with a credit card? I think you all would be shocked how easy it is.
Some doors are easier than others. Exterior doors (newer ones) have the separate part of the latch that doesn't slide back when a CC is inserted. Also if a door seats really tightly against the jamb like mine does you're not getting a CC in there.
If there is much play in the door at all, you can get it. If the door is tightly installed, it becomes much more difficult.

Flew out here to Monterey, CA last week. We lost our keys on the flight out here. No luck with airline lost and found.

We just moved into a new house a month ago, so apparently no locksmith will open the door without and ID with the address on it. Neither the wife or I have such an ID.

Pretty sure all the windows are locked. I know that the front door dead bolt is not locked though (been sticking and when we left I couldnt get it locked so just left it).

We get in at 9PM tomorrow night and have a 1 and 3 year old, so not sure I want to spend too much time trying to break in.

Any suggestions?

I'm thinking after I fail with the stupid credit card trick, I will just take a hammer to the front doorknob. Just bust that thing right off then dismantle the lock that way. Yea? Stupid?

I would rather not break a window.

So...
Do you have a sliding glass door? If it is an older one a lot of times you can stick a flat head screwdriver under the lock end and lift the hook off the post it locks to.

Users who are viewing this thread