What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Wrangler Jeans - Now I get it (1 Viewer)

TheIronSheik

SUPER ELITE UPPER TIER
I have no clue what they are, other than jeans. Not sure I've ever seen them, although who knows. But as a guy watching NFL football games, I see these commercials over and over again. With guys like Brees and Favre promoting them.

Being the sucker for advertising that I am, I watch them talk about how they are made with a U design instead of a V design and I think, "Hmmm. That makes sense." Yes. I'm a gullible idiot.

I turn to my GF and say, "Hey....", and before I can say another word she says, "No."

This intrigues me. She goes on to say that there is no way in hell she will ever allow me to wear Wrangler Jeans. But to be honest, I had never planned to wear them. I was just going to ask her if she thought there was any truth to the U design thing being a real thing.

But it gets me thinking. Brees seems like a cool guy. And Favre is totally a man's man. I picture him working in his yard and chopping down trees. You know. Manly stuff. So why are these things bad? Granted, I have no fashion sense. I've worn two different pairs of shoes to work so many times, I've lost count.

But I can't stop thinking about these jeans. They are like the forbidden fruit to me now. "You can wear any jeans you want. Just not Wranglers."

So I watch the commercials closely and I don't see anything wrong with them. Brees is strolling through New Orleans high fiving people eating at outdoor cafes. They look fine to me. :shrug:

So what's the deal with these things? I always say jeans are becoming less comfortable nowadays. So much so that on Casual Workdays, I still prefer to wear slacks because the jeans aren't very comfortable. I just want to know why there's such hatred for these things? Anyone own a pair?

Last edited by a moderator:
They have the most comfortable FR jeans that I've found. Although, that's not exactly saying much either.

I grabbed a pair of Wrangler carpenter jeans for working outside, paid like 15 bucks or something. They're fine for that purpose. For going out, I have Polo, Hillfiger, Gap and Sean John in the rotation.

It has always been an uncool brand which is why your GF doesn't approve. They are in the same category as Dockers.

I have no clue what they are, other than jeans. Not sure I've ever seen them, although who knows. But as a guy watching NFL football games, I see these commercials over and over again. With guys like Brees and Favre promoting them.

Being the sucker for advertising that I am, I watch them talk about how they are made with a U design instead of a V design and I think, "Hmmm. That makes sense." Yes. I'm a gullible idiot.

I turn to my GF and say, "Hey....", and before I can say another word she says, "No."

This intrigues me. She goes on to say that there is no way in hell she will ever allow me to wear Wrangler Jeans. But to be honest, I had never planned to wear them. I was just going to ask her if she thought there was any truth to the U design thing being a real thing.

But it gets me thinking. Brees seems like a cool guy. And Favre is totally a man's man. I picture him working in his yard and chopping down trees. You know. Manly stuff. So why are these things bad? Granted, I have no fashion sense. I've worn two different pairs of shoes to work so many times, I've lost count.

But I can't stop thinking about these jeans. They are like the forbidden fruit to me now. "You can wear any jeans you want. Just not Wranglers."

So I watch the commercials closely and I don't see anything wrong with them. Brees is strolling through New Orleans high fiving people eating at outdoor cafes. They look fine to me. :shrug:

So what's the deal with these things? I always say jeans are becoming less comfortable nowadays. So much so that on Casual Workdays, I still prefer to wear slacks because the jeans aren't very comfortable. I just want to know why there's such hatred for these things? Anyone own a pair?
They are just low end jeans. You can probably get them at Walmart. So what if they are comfortable then they are comfortable.

I'm with you. I hardly wear Jeans as I have a terrible time finding ones that fit right. Think I have big thighs or something.

So that's it. They're just low end jeans? I thought there was going to be something totally f'd up about them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I blew out the crotch in 2 pairs of jeans in the last 2 weeks, maybe I need some U shape for more room.

My GF says they are the equivalent of "Mom Jeans" for guys. Other than the tag, can someone tell they are Wranglers other than fancy jeans. And by fancy, I mean Old Navy. I'm not talking skinny jeans or some stupid $100+ jeans that my ex used to buy me that were like the Cruel Jeans.

From the Sheplers western wear website:

The start of the essential Wrangler western wear brand was Hudson Overall Company in Greensboro, NC. C.C. Hudson and his brother, Homer, created the overall company in 1904. In 1919, Hudson Overall Company changed their name to Blue Bell Overall Company.

The year 1936 brought change as Blue Bell Overall Company introduced Super Big Ben Overalls, featuring 100% Sanforized fabric that reduced shrinkage to less than 1%, setting a new standard for the industry.

In 1943, Blue Bell acquired Casey Jones Company, a manufacturer of work clothing, and the rights to Casey Jones' rarely used brand name – Wrangler. The popularity of the Wrangler brand grew and become more exciting in 1947 when Wrangler authentic western jeans, designed by celebrity tailor Rodeo Ben, was introduced to the American public. Professional rodeo cowboys Jim Shoulders, Bill Linderman, and Freckles Brown wear-tested the Wrangler 13MWZ and endorsed the Wrangler name for durability, quality, and authenticity. By having these rodeo cowboys support the Wrangler name, true distinction was made between Wrangler and other denim companies. Jim Shoulders, World Champion Cowboy, signed on as an official endorsee of Wrangler in 1948.

Wrangler jeans flew into the mainstream in 1963 when "Newsweek" magazine coined the word "teenager" and featured a Wrangler jean-clad girl on the cover. Just over a decade later, Wrangler received more support from the rodeo industry, when in 1974 the Pro Rodeo Cowboys Association officially endorsed Wrangler Jeans.

In 1982, Wrangler became the primary sponsor of NASCAR driver Dale Earnhardt and the legendary blue-and-yellow "Wrangler Jeans Machine". Wrangler became the first apparel company to have significant involvement in NASCAR. Wrangler continued to reach both traditional cowboy and contemporary jean wearers in 1992, when the movie "Pure Country" debuted. The film starred country music singer George Strait in Wrangler jeans as Dusty Chandler, a fictional super star in the country music world. This created a frenzy for western lifestyle apparel. With the rise in country western apparel popularity, Wrangler western wear also gained further recognition. By 1996, one out of every five pairs of jeans sold in America featured a Wrangler label.

The Wrangler 13MWZ Jean, the official jean of the Pro Rodeo Cowboys Association, celebrated its 50th birthday in 1997. In 2005, Wrangler launched Aura Jeans from the Women at Wrangler The new Aura Jean collection offered 120+ fits and revolutionized the way women shop for jeans. In 2008, Wrangler partnered with AQHA (American Quarter Horse Association) to develop The Ultimate Riding Jeans. Wrangler sought to capture the freedom, independence, and beauty inherent to every cowgirl. Wrangler spoke with the women of the American Quarter Horse Association to find out what was important to women who ride every day. The result was a Wrangler jean with flexible knees and a mid rise for riding - the perfect riding jean for the modern cowgirl!

Just a year later, in 2009, Wrangler western wear created the Wrangler National Patriot Program. National Patriot is a year-round program developed to help raise funds to support American military veterans and their families, and to serve as inspiration for all Americans to rally around each other in patriotism. In 2010, Wrangler revamped the 13MWZ jean and created the Premium Performance Wrangler 47MWZ Jean! Wrangler 47MWZ jeans' updated fit are the Biggest Thing to happen to men's Wrangler jeans since 1947!

Been a Levi's man my whole life. Due to having 3 kids and trying to save money, I've bought a couple of pairs of Wrangler's for half the price.

They are comfortable, and they wear out similar to a Levi's, meaning they get better the longer you own them. Have had my 2 pairs of Wranglers for about 6 years, and still going strong.

They're legit.

I always thought a man wore what he wanted and didn't worry about what other men thought.Now Sheiks in case if his woman is balking he may want to comply.

It has always been an uncool brand which is why your GF doesn't approve. They are in the same category as Dockers.
"There was one week where you wore sweatpants everyday."

"Oh, you know what...if they were Sean John sweatpants, it would have been fine, but because they're Costco brand it's like the worst thing I could do."

Wranglers are an affordable jean that targets the "rugged" outdoorsy type. They're a primary sponsor of the Professional Rodeo and Bull Riders tours. They appeal to farmers and similar occupations - hence the association with 'hicks.' They are an affordable, durable, comfortable, reliable product. But they aren't very stylish. They're headquartered out of Greensboro - Mrs. IB works for the parent company - who owns a wide range of apparel lines, including Lee, Vans, North Face and Seven For All Mankind. (The last of which, I hadn't heard of before about a year ago, but the jeans would probably meet with your girlfriend's approval). They've got products over just about every price and demographic market as they are the largest apparel manufacturer in the world.

Wranglers are an affordable jean that targets the "rugged" outdoorsy type. They're a primary sponsor of the Professional Rodeo and Bull Riders tours. They appeal to farmers and similar occupations - hence the association with 'hicks.' They are an affordable, durable, comfortable, reliable product. But they aren't very stylish. They're headquartered out of Greensboro - Mrs. IB works for the parent company - who owns a wide range of apparel lines, including Lee, Vans, North Face and Seven For All Mankind. (The last of which, I hadn't heard of before about a year ago, but the jeans would probably meet with your girlfriend's approval). They've got products over just about every price and demographic market as they are the largest apparel manufacturer in the world.
Pretty much nails it.

Cowboy types wear them as the brand has put forth a considerable marketing push to be associated as the "cowboy jean".

Agreed 100% they're in no way stylish... and mom jeans for men is probably a apt assessment. If you don't care what you look like, and are looking to save some bucks..you could do a lot worse than Wranglers. They are supposed to be pretty durable.

I prefer to spend a little more for a bit more stylish jean with a more flattering cut for me. Oddly enough, the BKE (Buckle's store brand) have proven to be a great quality, fairly stylish pair of jeans that don't break the bank too badly ($45-75/pair). Exceptionally comfortable for me, and have gotten lots of compliments on them. YMMV.

You should buy a pair a couple sizes too small for schtick value. Buy them and strut them in front of your girl. Hilarity will ensue.

So that's it. They're just low end jeans? I thought there was going to be something totally f'd up about them.
Purdy much.

Which is why your snoot of a GF couldn't bear the thought. My snoot of a wife would likely have the same reaction.

Personally, I LOVE LEE jeans. Another lower end, they are just ####### jeans, jeans. Can't STAND "designer" or "nice" jeans. Seriously. Wear a pair of slacks or wear a man's jeans. If you have pressed ####### neo Jordache, them's aint Jeans.

Been a Levis guy most of my life. I have tried a couple pairs of Denizen (Target brand) jeans lately. Not bad. I wear jeans to work every day.

Purdy much.

Which is why your snoot of a GF couldn't bear the thought. My snoot of a wife would likely have the same reaction.

Personally, I LOVE LEE jeans. Another lower end, they are just ####### jeans, jeans. Can't STAND "designer" or "nice" jeans. Seriously. Wear a pair of slacks or wear a man's jeans. If you have pressed ####### neo Jordache, them's aint Jeans.
That's the thing. She's not snooty. That's why I'm confused. She'll buy me jeans from Old Navy or Target without thinking twice. But the line has been drawn on Wranglers. I told her I was thinking about buying a pair just to see what the big deal is. I was told that no. :kicksrock:

Purdy much.

That's the thing. She's not snooty. That's why I'm confused. She'll buy me jeans from Old Navy or Target without thinking twice. But the line has been drawn on Wranglers. I told her I was thinking about buying a pair just to see what the big deal is. I was told that no. :kicksrock:
Maybe she just hates Brett Favre. That's understandable.

Purdy much.

I don't think you're missing anything, but your curiosity is getting the best of you. Marketing.

I've never watched the commercials and wanted to go out and buy a pair of Wranglers, but I'm already a manly man. :P

Purdy much.

They are all snooty. In their own way. Old Navy or Target are white-class middle-class chik - or..... sheik, as the case may be.

I can buy a cheap pair from American Eagle (happen to be very comfortable), but Lee? Nuh-uh.

Purdy much.

I don't think you're missing anything, but your curiosity is getting the best of you. Marketing.

I've never watched the commercials and wanted to go out and buy a pair of Wranglers, but I'm already a manly man. :P
I presume by "manly man" that you like to check out Favre's ### during the commercials?

Wranglers aren't bad jeans, very basic design. They are popular in the farm/ranch/rural segments of America. You can get them without the big logo on the back pocket and nobody would know you are wearing wranglers.

Cinch is the stylish brand for the farm/ranch/rodeo set. They make some pretty good jeans but their pricing is $60-$100+ range.

Users who are viewing this thread