What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The American Food System (1 Viewer)

The Commish

Footballguy
I wanted to start a thread in an attempt to do my part to help educate people on the food system in this country. I'm not sure people realize the lengths corporations are going to get you using their products and sometimes addicted to their products. I hope this thread is of some use. I plan on posting random cases, legislation, movements that I hear about and hope we can have good discussion about all of it.

To get started, I'm posting a general overview from the Food Inc guys about the differences between whole foods, processed fooda and ways we can simplify the issues we currently face.

Helping Facilitate Change in the Food Industry

'The Commish said:
I wanted to start a thread in an attempt to do my part to help educate people on the food system in this country. I'm not sure people realize the lengths corporations are going to get you using their products and sometimes addicted to their products. I hope this thread is of some use. I plan on posting random cases, legislation, movements that I hear about and hope we can have good discussion about all of it.

To get started, I'm posting a general overview from the Food Inc guys about the differences between whole foods, processed fooda and ways we can simplify the issues we currently face.

you have a good article that expands on this? i want to send it to my coworker.

'The Commish said:

This article has been posted in a few threads here but it's worth a repeat. The Extraordinary Science of Addictive Junk Food

'Officer Pete Malloy said:
It does look delicious. Aside from likely being made using CAFO raised beef, and one could always use grass fed and finished beef to correct that, it doesn't really go against what I expect The Commish is trying to draw attention to in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
'The Commish said:

This article has been posted in a few threads here but it's worth a repeat. The Extraordinary Science of Addictive Junk Food
Thanks!

It does look delicious. Aside from likely being made using CAFO raised beef, and one could always use grass fed and finished beef to correct that, it doesn't really go against what I expect The Commish is trying to draw attention to in this thread.
My link
As you rarely post anything other than kitty gifs, intentionally incorrect movie quotes and facetious comments designed to poke fun at other posts (FTR I do appreciate your work), I am just pointing out that the burger you linked (being an example of the third type) is probably not something The Commish considers to be wrong with our food system.

My link
As you rarely post anything other than kitty gifs, intentionally incorrect movie quotes and facetious comments designed to poke fun at other posts (FTR I do appreciate your work), I am just pointing out that the burger you linked (being an example of the third type) is probably not something The Commish considers to be wrong with our food system.
"it doesn't really go against " So I'm in the clear?

'The Commish said:

I hesitate to post this but I'm going to. I want to make clear the point of me posting it though. The point is to show how extensive research is in getting people to buy a product. This link is a snopes article regarding a misconception that Pepsi is using baby stem cells in their product. The reality is, the research company who is developing food additives.

My link
"it doesn't really go against " So I'm in the clear?
Wala

'The Commish said:

I hesitate to post this but I'm going to. I want to make clear the point of me posting it though. The point is to show how extensive research is in getting people to buy a product. This link is a snopes article regarding a misconception that Pepsi is using baby stem cells in their product. The reality is, the research company who is developing food additives.
I know that it is only a cell line and not actual fetus but that just sounds nasty and quite over the top in the effort to make food more "flavorful".

Great thread commish! I look forward to it. My research has me feeling pretty confident about what I should be eating (I'm an advocate of the primal lifestyle), but I can't seem to stop eating the bad stuff regularly.

Chaka had a great post recently in some thread about how if you stop eating sugar for 30 days (I assume he meant fruit was ok) that your palate would adjust.

I think my problem is that I always have a "cheat day" in the weekends, which keeps the cravings going.that and I can't seem to quit coke zero :/ I think cutting off all processed food for a month needs to be my first step.

I think it's fascinating to read about just how much they are trying to get us addicted to food. I mean, we've all joked for years about how McDonalds puts crack in their food to keep you addicted....but in a sense we were right.

I know that it is only a cell line and not actual fetus but that just sounds nasty and quite over the top in the effort to make food more "flavorful".
And this is really the point of this thread. There are TONS of examples like this. It's not just "taste test" anymore with these companies. They are spending billions trying to figure out how to get you legally hooked on their processed food. It's an uphill battle for us as individuals. At this point, I really don't see a way to combat it other than to educate ourselves on it. I don't even buy ice cream in the store anymore. We make it at home. The only things I really buy on a regular basis from the store are peanut butter, chips (with 3 ingredients or less), lunch meat, milk and bread (from time to time).I've found a local source for pork, chicken and beef and a local source for veggies. Add fruit to the list above...don't have a good local source for fruit.

Opiates in cheese making it addictivehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CasomorphinThe science of addictive foodhttp://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/health/story/2013/03/05/f-vp-crowe-food-addiction.htmlI for one can't help but look at the big picture. Factory farms and there affects on the environment and the way they treat animals. To me a healthy diet encompasses all these things...
This is the other angle we need to be aware of. We can buy all the whole foods we want ignoring the processed foods, but if they've been genetically modified or fed a bunch of hormone filled feed, we are getting all that in our bodies as well.

I'm after the legislation behind the Monsanto Protection Act. It's passed and best i can tell it's a step closer to this company's genetically modified foods being exempt from scientific or regulatory review.

This is all I have...lots of hyperbole ladened pages out there...hard to understand what just happened.

I'm after the legislation behind the Monsanto Protection Act. It's passed and best i can tell it's a step closer to this company's genetically modified foods being exempt from scientific or regulatory review.

This is all I have...lots of hyperbole ladened pages out there...hard to understand what just happened.
So apparently this is a rider on a military and defense appropriations bill.Can anyone translate this into English? It sounds not good but every analysis of this section I have read comes from some hippie website.

Sec. 735. In the event that a determination of non-regulated status made pursuant to section 411 of the Plant Protection Act is or has been invalidated or vacated, the Secretary of Agriculture shall, notwithstanding any other provision of law, upon request by a farmer, grower, farm operator, or producer, immediately grant temporary permit(s) or temporary deregulation in part, subject to necessary and appropriate conditions consistent with section 411(a) or 412© of the Plant Protection Act, which interim conditions shall authorize the movement, introduction, continued cultivation, commercialization and other specifically enumerated activities and requirements, including measures designed to mitigate or minimize potential adverse environmental effects, if any, relevant to the Secretary’s evaluation of the petition for non-regulated status, while ensuring that growers or other users are able to move, plant, cultivate, introduce into commerce and carry out other authorized activities in a timely manner:Provided, That all such conditions shall be applicable only for the interim period necessary for the Secretary to complete any required analyses or consultations related to the petition for non-regulated status: Provided further, That nothing in this section shall be construed as limiting the Secretary’s authority under section 411, 412 and 414 of the Plant Protection Act.

And this is really the point of this thread. There are TONS of examples like this. It's not just "taste test" anymore with these companies. They are spending billions trying to figure out how to get you legally hooked on their processed food. It's an uphill battle for us as individuals. At this point, I really don't see a way to combat it other than to educate ourselves on it. I don't even buy ice cream in the store anymore. We make it at home. The only things I really buy on a regular basis from the store are peanut butter, chips (with 3 ingredients or less), lunch meat, milk and bread (from time to time).I've found a local source for pork, chicken and beef and a local source for veggies. Add fruit to the list above...don't have a good local source for fruit.
You mind sharing your sources?We use absoluteorganics.com for fruits & veggies and meats from a local farmer co-op type delivery.

We also usually buy lots of peaches from the peach stand on 160 and strawberries from Hall Family Farm in Ballantyne.

You mind sharing your sources?We use absoluteorganics.com for fruits & veggies and meats from a local farmer co-op type delivery.

We also usually buy lots of peaches from the peach stand on 160 and strawberries from Hall Family Farm in Ballantyne.
Peach stand is how I found Mills Family Farms. They are all the way up 77 almost in Troutman. It's a drive and we've only done it once, but you can go to their page and get on their emailing list. There's a restaurant in Rock Hill called "Erin's" or something like that who uses Mills as well and they told my wife we can order from Mills and they'll deliver to Erin's so we can pick it up there instead of driving. There are a couple co-op groups that people in my neighborhood use, but I haven't checked them out yet. There's a place in Anderson SC that sells whole animals too. I haven't looked closely at it, but have a couple friends who have used them.

So apparently this is a rider on a military and defense appropriations bill.Can anyone translate this into English? It sounds not good but every analysis of this section I have read comes from some hippie website.

Sec. 735. In the event that a determination of non-regulated status made pursuant to section 411 of the Plant Protection Act is or has been invalidated or vacated, the Secretary of Agriculture shall, notwithstanding any other provision of law, upon request by a farmer, grower, farm operator, or producer, immediately grant temporary permit(s) or temporary deregulation in part, subject to necessary and appropriate conditions consistent with section 411(a) or 412© of the Plant Protection Act, which interim conditions shall authorize the movement, introduction, continued cultivation, commercialization and other specifically enumerated activities and requirements, including measures designed to mitigate or minimize potential adverse environmental effects, if any, relevant to the Secretary’s evaluation of the petition for non-regulated status, while ensuring that growers or other users are able to move, plant, cultivate, introduce into commerce and carry out other authorized activities in a timely manner:Provided, That all such conditions shall be applicable only for the interim period necessary for the Secretary to complete any required analyses or consultations related to the petition for non-regulated status: Provided further, That nothing in this section shall be construed as limiting the Secretary’s authority under section 411, 412 and 414 of the Plant Protection Act.
I'm in the same boat...I've read it but the only attention it's getting is from some pretty "far out there" sources

Peach stand is how I found Mills Family Farms. They are all the way up 77 almost in Troutman. It's a drive and we've only done it once, but you can go to their page and get on their emailing list. There's a restaurant in Rock Hill called "Erin's" or something like that who uses Mills as well and they told my wife we can order from Mills and they'll deliver to Erin's so we can pick it up there instead of driving. There are a couple co-op groups that people in my neighborhood use, but I haven't checked them out yet. There's a place in Anderson SC that sells whole animals too. I haven't looked closely at it, but have a couple friends who have used them.
thisis where we get our meat and eggs from. Not 100% sure how they comapre to the local grocery stores; my wife does all the shopping and she says they are comparable when you are looking at organic, hormone-free, etc. The way it works is you place an order on-line, and the farmer dude loads everything into a regrigerated trailer and drives around town to make his deliveries. Easy.Between this and the fruit/veggie link, this is how we do most of our shopping. We only go the stores for a few odds/ends outside of that, and it's mostly for raw ingredients. We avoid pre-packaged foods as much as possible. It's really hard to get away from it all completely, but I figure if we can get even 65% of our nutrients this way, that's a step i nthe right direction.

it is more expensive though. The way I look at it, this is what food is supposed to cost. The other stuff is cheap because there are accountants and food-scientists working diligently to drive costs down at the expense of anything but taste.

thisis where we get our meat and eggs from. Not 100% sure how they comapre to the local grocery stores; my wife does all the shopping and she says they are comparable when you are looking at organic, hormone-free, etc. The way it works is you place an order on-line, and the farmer dude loads everything into a regrigerated trailer and drives around town to make his deliveries. Easy.Between this and the fruit/veggie link, this is how we do most of our shopping. We only go the stores for a few odds/ends outside of that, and it's mostly for raw ingredients. We avoid pre-packaged foods as much as possible. It's really hard to get away from it all completely, but I figure if we can get even 65% of our nutrients this way, that's a step i nthe right direction.

it is more expensive though. The way I look at it, this is what food is supposed to cost. The other stuff is cheap because there are accountants and food-scientists working diligently to drive costs down at the expense of anything but taste.
They don't seem to have delivery areas near me :kicksrock: The hardest thing for me to justify is the chicken. I'm not sure why it costs so much more to be organic than the other meats, but I've seen in some places where whole chickens are 15-20 bucks for ONE. Doesn't make sense. Earthfare will process a whole chicken for you for about $3 a pound.

Nice links guys. We were considering trying out absolute organics this spring, how do you like it? Previously we have just gone to the market near the airport a lot.

Nice links guys. We were considering trying out absolute organics this spring, how do you like it? Previously we have just gone to the market near the airport a lot.
My wife would be at that market by the airport every day if we lived closer to it. There's also a pretty good one in Matthews somewhere, or so I've heard.

I feel bad for the guy that cleaned the seeds and had to lose his business because of the lawsuit against him.

I really like absolute organics. We get $40 worth of fruit/veggies a week. They don't deliver to my house, but they do to my office. $40 is a pretty good sized box enough to feed 2 adults, 2 small kids for a week. you can tell them what you don't want, and they will compensate with other stuff if needed. What's interesting is you never know what will be in the box until they deliver it. I like to think of it like Iron Chef - this weeks mystery ingredient: Kale! it's actually a pretty good way to get you eating different veggies and breaking any rut you may be in. not everything is local, by the way. most of the fruit right now is coming from Mexico or south America, but I suppose that's becasue it's not fruit season here, and banannas don't grow locally anyways.

Another reason to move back to NC!Just gotta sell the wife on it.

I just spent two weeks in mexico eating fresh fruit, veggies, fish and meat and the quality is much higher than what you buy at the super market. Plus the grain they use seems to make a more tasty and dense bread.

I really like absolute organics. We get $40 worth of fruit/veggies a week. They don't deliver to my house, but they do to my office. $40 is a pretty good sized box enough to feed 2 adults, 2 small kids for a week. you can tell them what you don't want, and they will compensate with other stuff if needed. What's interesting is you never know what will be in the box until they deliver it. I like to think of it like Iron Chef - this weeks mystery ingredient: Kale! it's actually a pretty good way to get you eating different veggies and breaking any rut you may be in. not everything is local, by the way. most of the fruit right now is coming from Mexico or south America, but I suppose that's becasue it's not fruit season here, and banannas don't grow locally anyways.
We did a co-op a couple years ago. Problem was we had no idea what 60-70% of the stuff was that we got. My wife's a farmer's daughter and she is pretty knowledgeable about veggies and these boxes left her stumped more often times than not. Does AO tell you what it is they are giving you?

Thanks for the info. Kale is always a great surprise. I would love to do something locally, but most of them seem to require committing to every week or every other week. My SO travels for work a lot, so I revert to a wings and beer diet when she isn't here. :banned:

We did a co-op a couple years ago. Problem was we had no idea what 60-70% of the stuff was that we got. My wife's a farmer's daughter and she is pretty knowledgeable about veggies and these boxes left her stumped more often times than not. Does AO tell you what it is they are giving you?
you know, I don't think so. My wife watches lots of cooking shows so she's pretty tuned in to what is what. Any food that isn't local has a sticker saying where it is from and what it is, so it's got that. This time of year I think they mostly import stuff - we'll see if that changes once local farms start producing.

you know, I don't think so. My wife watches lots of cooking shows so she's pretty tuned in to what is what. Any food that isn't local has a sticker saying where it is from and what it is, so it's got that. This time of year I think they mostly import stuff - we'll see if that changes once local farms start producing.
Our experience was one in greens....we had about every kind of green you could think of. I learned I like none of them except for Kale. I've had greens about every way one could think. I just can't eat them.

Thanks for the info. Kale is always a great surprise. I would love to do something locally, but most of them seem to require committing to every week or every other week. My SO travels for work a lot, so I revert to a wings and beer diet when she isn't here. :banned:
You're better off going to the farmer's market like you do.

I'm in the same boat...I've read it but the only attention it's getting is from some pretty "far out there" sources
A little more on Monsanto Protection Act

This part makes it seem like much ado about nothing:
it will only remain in effect for six months until the government finds another way to fund its operations
So for the next six months, federal courts can't halt the sale of GMO seeds, not that they were planning to anyway. Big deal.
That's the part that scares the hell out of me. They managed to porkbarrel this awful provision and it's now on the books. Now they have 6 months to figure out a way to keep it alive. It's always a series of small steps, and I'm still dumbfounded that this gigantic first step was made in the first place. We are so ######.

it will only remain in effect for six months until the government finds another way to fund its operations
So for the next six months, federal courts can't halt the sale of GMO seeds, not that they were planning to anyway. Big deal.
That's the part that scares the hell out of me. They managed to porkbarrel this awful provision and it's now on the books. Now they have 6 months to figure out a way to keep it alive. It's always a series of small steps, and I'm still dumbfounded that this gigantic first step was made in the first place. We are so ######.
I'm not exactly sure what it is that federal courts wouldn't be able to do. Let's say GMO seeds cause cancer. Could somebody that gets cancer from them still sue Monsanto?

Aren't you the "baby steps" guy?
Sometimes. I'm still not real clear on what this law does.

I'm not convinced that GMO is a problem. We've been genetically modifying our food for thousands of years - the only difference is that the pace is picked up a bit now.

Great thread commish! I look forward to it. My research has me feeling pretty confident about what I should be eating (I'm an advocate of the primal lifestyle), but I can't seem to stop eating the bad stuff regularly.

Chaka had a great post recently in some thread about how if you stop eating sugar for 30 days (I assume he meant fruit was ok) that your palate would adjust.

I think my problem is that I always have a "cheat day" in the weekends, which keeps the cravings going.that and I can't seem to quit coke zero :/ I think cutting off all processed food for a month needs to be my first step.

I think it's fascinating to read about just how much they are trying to get us addicted to food. I mean, we've all joked for years about how McDonalds puts crack in their food to keep you addicted....but in a sense we were right.
Same here. I highly recommend the works by Mark Sisson and Rob Wolfe. I don't recall a "cheat day" but I guess under the 80/20 rule a "cheat day" makes sense. I have not had cravings but still eat 1 or 2 bad meals a week.The one thing I do find really out there is the amount of crap our government lets them put in our food. A good example is the Nutri-Grain blueberry bar. Here in the states they add Red #40 and Blue #1. Red #40 is thought to contain carcinogenic contaminant p-Cresidine and could cause tumors of the immune system. In the UK it is not suggested for children and is banned in many European nations. So what does Kellogs do? They make the same bars using Beetroot, Annatto, and paprika extract. A much healthier alternative.

Users who are viewing this thread