What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

American Hustle (new David O. Russell film) (1 Viewer)

Kenny Powers

Footballguy
Needless to say, considering this has the combination of David O. Russell (Silver Linings Playbook, The Fighter, Three Kings) as the director and writer, and a cast starring many who have been featured in his last couple films (Christian Bale, Amy Adams, Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper, Jeremy Renner, De Niro) combined with the throwback style and crime drama plot here, American Hustle has a good chance to be great I think

New Trailer

First Trailer (more of a montage, but the Good Times Bad Times just makes this look that much more bad ###)

Last edited by a moderator:
This looks fantastic. The next generations goodfellas/scarface. The type of movie people own the posters and everyone owns the bluray

This looks fantastic. The next generations goodfellas/scarface. The type of movie people own the posters and everyone owns the bluray
Not that Im expecting it to be on that level, but I got a similar feeling watching the trailer. Looks great.

Am I getting too excited about this? I wanting it to be ####### good for some reason.

95% on rotten tomatoes :thumbup:

Didnt realize it came out yesterday. With no college football to watch, might have to go and see it today.

Saw it last night and I gotta be honest, I was expecting more. Maybe it's the kind of film that will grow on me with future viewings but I left the theater entirely underwhelmed. It's well acted and they absolutely nailed the make-up and costume design but the pacing was kinda slow and, while the "hustle" was okay (I guess) I found the story telling to be somewhat meandering with a lot that seemed irrelevant. On a first viewing it's not best picture material IMO.

However from an acting standpoint Amy Adams was incredible. She commanded virtually every scene she was in, and her low cut outfits did a lot of commanding in my pants. Jennifer Lawrence was also excellent but I almost didn't see any point to her character. Bale, Renner, Cooper etc. everyone did a really excellent job which makes my lukewarm feelings about the film overall kind of surprising to me. Still I found it to be only okay.

Will watch again on video to see if it gets better.

Saw it last night and I gotta be honest, I was expecting more. Maybe it's the kind of film that will grow on me with future viewings but I left the theater entirely underwhelmed. It's well acted and they absolutely nailed the make-up and costume design but the pacing was kinda slow and, while the "hustle" was okay (I guess) I found the story telling to be somewhat meandering with a lot that seemed irrelevant. On a first viewing it's not best picture material IMO.

However from an acting standpoint Amy Adams was incredible. She commanded virtually every scene she was in, and her low cut outfits did a lot of commanding in my pants. Jennifer Lawrence was also excellent but I almost didn't see any point to her character. Bale, Renner, Cooper etc. everyone did a really excellent job which makes my lukewarm feelings about the film overall kind of surprising to me. Still I found it to be only okay.

Agreed. I thought the first hour and a half was fantastic, but it was a legit 30 minutes too long and in serious need of an editor. The final hour or so had like no payoff.

There should be plenty of acting award nominations, but it's definitely not best picture material IMO.

Agreed. I thought the first hour and a half was fantastic, but it was a legit 30 minutes too long and in serious need of an editor. The final hour or so had like no payoff.

There should be plenty of acting award nominations, but it's definitely not best picture material IMO.
Interesting because I thought the first 30 minutes or so dragged on and having V.O. from Bale, Adams and Cooper was seriously distracting and unnecessary.

Rick James said:
Chaka said:

I'll withhold judgment until I see it, but considering both of you said its not best picture material, you do realize it in fact is nominated for a Golden Globe for Best Picture?

Rick James said:
Chaka said:

I'll withhold judgment until I see it, but considering both of you said its not best picture material, you do realize it in fact is nominated for a Golden Globe for Best Picture?
In the Musical or Comedy category. The critical consensus I've read is that the movie is entertaining but a bit of a mess. Even though the "comedy" category for the Globes is a bit more serious this year, there are dramas that weren't nominated that will likely take at least one of the BP nods (Fruitvale Station seems likely, IMO).

Rick James said:
Chaka said:

In the Musical or Comedy category. The critical consensus I've read is that the movie is entertaining but a bit of a mess. Even though the "comedy" category for the Globes is a bit more serious this year, there are dramas that weren't nominated that will likely take at least one of the BP nods (Fruitvale Station seems likely, IMO).
I know, and was surprised it was actually considered a comedy, but of course I'll wait to see it to decide if it makes sense or not.

Just because its in that category doesnt mean it wont be nominated for an Oscar Best Picture, in recent memory Lost In Translation, Ray, Little Miss Sunshine, Juno, The Kids Are All Right, The Artist, and of course Russell's own Silver Linings Playbook all were nominated in the Musical or Comedy GG and also nominated for the Best Picture Oscar.

Now Ive only seen Gravity, but the Musical/Comedy category (Hustle, Her., Wolf of Wall Street, Nebraska, Inside Llewyn Davis) overall looks stronger to me than the Drama category (Gravity, 12 Years A Slave, Captain Phillips, Rush, Philomena) and I wouldnt be surprised if all or most of the M/C's get nominated for an Oscar Best Picture.

Rick James said:
Chaka said:

I realize lots of things and that is one of them.

I laughed a number of times, but definitely not a comedy.

Damn good movie, pretty sure the best I've seen this year.

Will see now.

Best movie I've seen this year was place beyond the pines. Looking forward to this, wolf, inside llewyn Davis, and lone survivor.

:goodposting: just returned from seeing it and I can't wait to see it again. Really enjoyed everything about it. The atmosphere was well done, story was slightly confusing which is why I can't wait to see it again to catch the parts i missed. Agreed above that Amy Adams out acted Jennifer Lawerence by a mile. :thumbup:

Will see now.

Best movie I've seen this year was place beyond the pines. Looking forward to this, wolf, inside llewyn Davis, and lone survivor.
The Place Beyond The Pines was the best Ive seen this year as well (now that I think about it, surprised it didnt get a nom from the GG), and Hustle will have to be really great to be better than it for me.

Either way, I have a feeling I'll end up watching Hustle many more times than Pines.

I thought mud was good. I'm having trouble remembering everything I saw since I usually binge watch rentals when my wife is gone.

1. Place beyond the pines

2. End of watch

3. Spring breakers

4. Mud

:goodposting: just returned from seeing it and I can't wait to see it again. Really enjoyed everything about it. The atmosphere was well done, story was slightly confusing which is why I can't wait to see it again to catch the parts i missed. Agreed above that Amy Adams out acted Jennifer Lawerence by a mile. :thumbup:
I am not sure she outacted her by a mile, Lawrence was tremendous and remarkably convincing as a New Jersey house wife, but her character existed exclusively for one scene* while Adams was central to the entire story, I would go so far as to say that Adams was the real main character.

To accidentally let the mob know that Bale was in trouble with the Feds
Otherwise there was no point to her character.

I thought mud was good. I'm having trouble remembering everything I saw since I usually binge watch rentals when my wife is gone.

2. End of watch

3. Spring breakers

4. Mud
End of Watch was from 2012. Spring Breakers, seriously?

I just watched Place Beyond the Pines. Overrated, sorry. I'm watching Mud tomorrow night and will be seeing Hustle over the next week.

Pines was messy.

I just watched Place Beyond the Pines. Overrated, sorry. I'm watching Mud tomorrow night and will be seeing Hustle over the next week.

Pines was messy.
I dont see how Pines is overrated. Maybe you didnt like it all that much, but it never had a buzz after its release and it doesnt seem like its really going to get nominated for many, if any awards. Just because me and Abe enjoyed it, doesnt mean that in general people are calling it the film of the year.

If Im going to call something overrated, its probably Mud actually. I really enjoyed it, and its well done, but I didnt think it reached all the praise it was getting. Id say the same of Gravity, to a lesser degree though.

I guess I heard from a lot of people that they loved Pines. Not talking about academy. I just didn't think it was a great movie. Great acting, yes. But the theme(s) were a mess.

2. End of watch

3. Spring breakers

4. Mud
End of Watch was from 2012. Spring Breakers, seriously?
Sorry. I see pretty much everything on dvd so I get the years off on occasion.

I thought spring breakers was sensational. I thought it was filmed well and the cinematography was fantastic - everything about the movie was a loud, technicolor assault on the senses just like spring break used to be. I thought the acting was excellent and the bizarre outlandish second half story arc fit right in. Oh, and Selena Gomez talking about her ##### scores points too.

I guess I heard from a lot of people that they loved Pines. Not talking about academy. I just didn't think it was a great movie. Great acting, yes. But the theme(s) were a mess.
Really? I thought luke glanton was one of the more interesting and layered movie characters in a long time and AJ was one of the most hateable people on film in a while. I love movies that stir an emotion in me and this one did. I thought it was terribly sad. It made me hug my daughter a little tighter and give thanks for my many blessings.

I think I liked American Hustle a bit more than I expected to, even while I acknowledge it's problems. It tried to maintain an extremely challenging tone where it pushed right up against farce while still expecting you to ultimately feel for Jennifer Lawrence's character and for Carmine. And as a result, I don't think it really earned it's message at the end (which is that ABSCAM in the end basically ruined the lives of the least morally compromised people there).

I also thought that for as good as Amy Adams was, Shirley/Edith was actually the most underwritten character. I'm not sure if it helped or hurt the movie that it felt so much like a Scorsese movie.

Still, I was never less than entertained. The actors were having a ball, the period details were fun. It's not as if I'm going to see something like 12 Years A Slave (I've got enough to be depressed about), so I can't really comment on it's Best Picture bona fides, but I can certainly name several Best Picture winners in the last 25 years that are worse.

Saw this one this past weekend.

A-1 film with A-1 performances by the top 4 (Bale, Adams, Lawrence, Cooper).

A very well done entertaining film. The worst thing about Abscam was that Rep Murtha escaped prosecution. Probably the onlt truly corrupt one of the group. But because he was corrupt, he better knew how to play the game.

Funny, I had a very similar reaction. I thought the 4 main actors all killed it, all were awesome performances. But I left the movie thinking eh, the movie was nothing special. All in all, it was good, but not great. The story was just lacking.

At first I thought Jennifer Lawrence's performance was overrated, but as the movie went on, I really was impressed with the job she did. She is just a really, really good actor.

Only thing that kept my attention during this movie was how in hel1 did Amy Adams keep her breasts in her dress? Movie was a yawner.

Chaka, you nailed my take perfectly.

Thought the acting was great. Story was a good combination of realistic yet interesting. I think what ruined it for me was that they totally telegraphed the payoff. Walked out of the theater just not totally satisfied.

Totally agree again here too. Like Hustle, it was extremely well-acted.

I really think the common thread here between the two movies is that all characters in both films have enough flaws to them that the viewer never "roots" for a specific protagonist or cause. This causes the viewer to lack the emotion that the typical great movie brings out of them.

Haven't seen the movie yet, but I have a semi-interesting (to me, at least) fact. My mother-in-law was contacted by the directors/whoever to see if they could use her house for the movie. I encouraged here to say yes but my two sisters-in-law told her to say no. They ended up using a house down the street from her, and they actually painted the house to look like my mother-in-law's.

Users who are viewing this thread