What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DARK SOULS II : Tight Pants Edition (2 Viewers)

Not yet. I got to wait for a price break. I can't justify the expense with so many games to work right now. Sounds a smidgen more accessible in the beginning according the reviews. Will be looking forward to your impressions of game play.

I really want to play this, but not enough to pull my PS3 out of the master bedroom and give up the ability to watch Amazon up there. Figure they'll eventually port this to the new consoles, and I'll play it then. I'll definitely follow along with this thread -- the game is getting really good reviews and I'll be interested to see the perspective of somebody who played the hell out of DS1.

First Impressions....

This is the 3rd game of the series and there was a lot of talk about making the game more accessible to all players.Read : Were they going to make an easy mode? I went in with tempered enthusiasm and ready to be let down. So far so good. I have completed the tutorial and the first area and can happily report that you can be relieved, they didn't screw it up. This is Dark Souls.

The controls are much tighter and they added a much welcomed jumping animation that isn't as tricky to pull off as it was in previous DS games. Rather then double tap the run button the jump button can be assigned to two different buttons. Another nice feature is that you can now traverse ladders faster both up and down and you can now jump off of ladders. So yea, another way to die and I have already done so. The controls weren't bad before but they are improved and refined.

The graphics are beautiful as you would expect. So far I have seen several different landscapes including a gorgeous ocean area. Fromsoft makes the best environments in gaming and they are on point so far. All the enemies faced at this point have a much beefier feel. Everything is a tick larger then before.

The story is much more pronounced so far or maybe I'm just seasoned enough to know that I should be listening and attempting to connect the story but it seems there is more dialog with NPCs. I'm just getting into it so so far its more of the same. You're dead and trying not to go fully hollow, yada yada, yada.

Random thoughs and crap Ive learned... (Don't treat this as gospel - I could be completely wrong)

Enemies have a limited spawn. After a certain point, they just stop respawning.

There is an item you can use that will reset the area but it immediately turns that area into NG+. You must also beat that area boss at least once before you can use it but it resets all enemies and I believe items.

Human Effegy is essentially humanity. Every time you die you lose a little max health. This restores you to human form and resets your max health. You can use it in this mannor or burn it a bonfire and it will help prevent you from being invaded.... which leads me to ...

You can get invaded hollow or not. I have yet to be invaded.

There is a plaque that is a counter for all the deaths players experience in the game. When I saw it last the counter was at 469K and it goes up by 1 or 2 almost every seconds. Just a cool feature. Im interested to see what it is at now.

In a nutshell its exactly what I wanted. A new and improved version of the game I already like.

Still on my first playthorugh in Dark Souls I

Dude the game is truly kicking my ### and I don't know if I can take much more......sigh. But I am still really trying and learning. It takes a lot of time and patience for sure. Why do I keep playing? Because:

1) It is a super cool world to explore

2) And when I finally beat an area I feel so damn good.

But again.....the game is a time drain....it is hard and will test your patience. I am sure by the time I am done with Dark Souls......DSII will be a 20 buck game.

Look forward to it down the road. Enjoy Mobbin!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you find the beginning a little more accessible than in 1? My understanding is they made it less dying just to get it over with and little more let's get through this and then die a lot.

Did you find the beginning a little more accessible than in 1? My understanding is they made it less dying just to get it over with and little more let's get through this and then die a lot.
I have found it to be pretty much the same. There is a short tutorial area that you can almost skip entirely that's fairly easy but right after that you come to a clearing of dozens and dozens of bloodstains left by players.

Still on my first playthorugh in Dark Souls I

Dude the game is truly kicking my ### and I don't know if I can take much more......sigh. But I am still really trying and learning. It takes a lot of time and patience for sure. Why do I keep playing? Because:

1) It is a super cool world to explore

2) And when I finally beat an area I feel so damn good.

But again.....the game is a time drain....it is hard and will test your patience. I am sure by the time I am done with Dark Souls......DSII will be a 20 buck game.

Look forward to it down the road. Enjoy Mobbin!!!
Feel free to post questions in the DS thread . I know that game better then my two daughters at this point.

Huge fan of the former two games.

My strategy right now since I am a very poor gamer is to buy the strategy guide and read it cover to cover to allow time for the wikias to get populated.

In a couple of months I will be buying this and looking forward to a ton of deaths :)

In reading through the trophies, this appears to be a much easier platinum than the previous two were.

Never played a DS games but have been curious. I read one review that said that every time you die, you lose part of your max HP. If this is true, isn't it possible to screw yourself over by dying too much?

First Impressions....

This is the 3rd game of the series and there was a lot of talk about making the game more accessible to all players.Read : Were they going to make an easy mode? I went in with tempered enthusiasm and ready to be let down. So far so good. I have completed the tutorial and the first area and can happily report that you can be relieved, they didn't screw it up. This is Dark Souls.

The controls are much tighter and they added a much welcomed jumping animation that isn't as tricky to pull off as it was in previous DS games. Rather then double tap the run button the jump button can be assigned to two different buttons. Another nice feature is that you can now traverse ladders faster both up and down and you can now jump off of ladders. So yea, another way to die and I have already done so. The controls weren't bad before but they are improved and refined.

The graphics are beautiful as you would expect. So far I have seen several different landscapes including a gorgeous ocean area. Fromsoft makes the best environments in gaming and they are on point so far. All the enemies faced at this point have a much beefier feel. Everything is a tick larger then before.

The story is much more pronounced so far or maybe I'm just seasoned enough to know that I should be listening and attempting to connect the story but it seems there is more dialog with NPCs. I'm just getting into it so so far its more of the same. You're dead and trying not to go fully hollow, yada yada, yada.

Random thoughs and crap Ive learned... (Don't treat this as gospel - I could be completely wrong)

There is an item you can use that will reset the area but it immediately turns that area into NG+. You must also beat that area boss at least once before you can use it but it resets all enemies and I believe items.

Human Effegy is essentially humanity. Every time you die you lose a little max health. This restores you to human form and resets your max health. You can use it in this mannor or burn it a bonfire and it will help prevent you from being invaded.... which leads me to ...

There is a plaque that is a counter for all the deaths players experience in the game. When I saw it last the counter was at 469K and it goes up by 1 or 2 almost every seconds. Just a cool feature. Im interested to see what it is at now.

In a nutshell its exactly what I wanted. A new and improved version of the game I already like.
What system are you playing it on?

Scoresman said:
Never played a DS games but have been curious. I read one review that said that every time you die, you lose part of your max HP. If this is true, isn't it possible to screw yourself over by dying too much?
I completed both games at 100% level (well 97% for Dark Souls) and I died more than I have in any other game I have played.

There are both pros and cons to dieing as when you die you return to human form and have access to certain things you don't have when not in human form.

Can I get an overview of what this game is tia
It's an action RPG where the fighting requires patience and cunning. Until you know the areas well you will die A LOT. So much that you will want to give up and you likely will.

But.... If you muscle through the beginning and build your skills you get better and your character will get stronger. Areas that took literally hundreds of lives - you will cruise through like a knife through butter. It isn't because you have better stats. Even the lowliest enemy can still kill you if your guard is down. It's because you have mastered that area.

It's dark, the enemies are original and cool looking. The bosses are awesome and some are HUGE.

It's an action RPG where the fighting requires patience and cunning. Until you know the areas well you will die A LOT. So much that you will want to give up and you likely will. But.... If you muscle through the beginning and build your skills you get better and your character will get stronger. Areas that took literally hundreds of lives - you will cruise through like a knife through butter. It isn't because you have better stats. Even the lowliest enemy can still kill you if your guard is down. It's because you have mastered that area.

It's dark, the enemies are original and cool looking. The bosses are awesome and some are HUGE.
is it like a splinter cell stealth? I am not a huge rpg guy but certain ones that are minimal i don't mind. My friend was pimping the first one...is it *scary/creepy" I don't mind left4dead...Last of us creepy but not a say bios hock creepy... The commercials and write ups look cool

edit so no checkpoints?

The part about enemies not respawning after awhile worries me, since that means no farming, either for souls or materials. If the game is designed with "no farming" in mind, then I guess that could work out okay, but I'm kind of skeptical. In the previous games, being able to grind certain enemies was really helpful in getting your build the way you wanted it.

Buddy Ball 2K3 said:
STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
First Impressions....

What system are you playing it on?

It's an action RPG where the fighting requires patience and cunning. Until you know the areas well you will die A LOT. So much that you will want to give up and you likely will.But.... If you muscle through the beginning and build your skills you get better and your character will get stronger. Areas that took literally hundreds of lives - you will cruise through like a knife through butter. It isn't because you have better stats. Even the lowliest enemy can still kill you if your guard is down. It's because you have mastered that area.

is it like a splinter cell stealth?I am not a huge rpg guy but certain ones that are minimal i don't mind. My friend was pimping the first one...is it *scary/creepy" I don't mind left4dead...Last of us creepy but not a say bios hock creepy... The commercials and write ups look cool

edit so no checkpoints?
I think you should rent Dark Souls. Correct me if I'm wrong but you're more of a The Show and just slightly more then a casual fan of gaming?

Its a grind man. HIGHLY rewarding but as much as I want you to love it, Id be doing you a disservice if I didn't warn you or even pursued you not to play it as odd as that sounds.

It's an action RPG where the fighting requires patience and cunning. Until you know the areas well you will die A LOT. So much that you will want to give up and you likely will.But.... If you muscle through the beginning and build your skills you get better and your character will get stronger. Areas that took literally hundreds of lives - you will cruise through like a knife through butter. It isn't because you have better stats. Even the lowliest enemy can still kill you if your guard is down. It's because you have mastered that area.

is it like a splinter cell stealth?I am not a huge rpg guy but certain ones that are minimal i don't mind. My friend was pimping the first one...is it *scary/creepy" I don't mind left4dead...Last of us creepy but not a say bios hock creepy... The commercials and write ups look cool

edit so no checkpoints?
I think you should rent Dark Souls. Correct me if I'm wrong but you're more of a The Show and just slightly more then a casual fan of gaming?

Its a grind man. HIGHLY rewarding but as much as I want you to love it, Id be doing you a disservice if I didn't warn you or even pursued you not to play it as odd as that sounds.
yeah I don't play as much as I used too. I play mostly sports racing but will play campaigns of cod.bf..etc. love tomb raider, uncharted, lou.....i don't play online much anymore tired of pwnage :)

The part about enemies not respawning after awhile worries me, since that means no farming, either for souls or materials. If the game is designed with "no farming" in mind, then I guess that could work out okay, but I'm kind of skeptical. In the previous games, being able to grind certain enemies was really helpful in getting your build the way you wanted it.
It isn't a problem . There is an item you can burn at the areas bonfire that resets the re spawns.

I have killed the same 15 dudes on the area I am now AT LEAST 30 times and they're still re spawning.

Steady,

What character class did you start with and what did you take as your opening gift?
Did you get it?

If you're going dex, choose the Bandit. Duel wield until you find the buckler or buy a shield. 100% physical isn't available for a bit or so I hear.

I went with the knight. My play style is more of a tank who can block almost everything so we'll see.

As far as starting gift, I don't believe it matters this time around as all those items are available to you in other parts of the game.

I went with the Bonfire Ascetic. - this item is the one that respawns all items and enemies and ramps the difficulty (and souls rewarded).

Can you still play offline and therefore avoid being invaded?
Yes. I always play offline. I only play online when I need to summon help or if I want to farm bosses and let myself be summoned.
Sweet. Once the price comes down, I'll be in.
The rest will do you good. I took more then a month off before this and I needed it. It's more of the same. (Which is a GREAT thing.) It's all better looking and new so it's refreshing, but exploring brand new areas at low levels with no rings or upgraded weapons is obviously challenging.

Steady,

What character class did you start with and what did you take as your opening gift?
Did you get it?

If you're going dex, choose the Bandit. Duel wield until you find the buckler or buy a shield. 100% physical isn't available for a bit or so I hear.

I went with the knight. My play style is more of a tank who can block almost everything so we'll see.

As far as starting gift, I don't believe it matters this time around as all those items are available to you in other parts of the game.

I went with the Bonfire Ascetic. - this item is the one that respawns all items and enemies and ramps the difficulty (and souls rewarded).
Thanks!

No, I did not get it. I am going to read the strategy guide book first and wait the wikia's to populate and then buy in a couple of months.

I saw there was one interesting class that looks like you basically start off with nothing (instead of a partially formed character) but I am scared that will be almost impossible to get going.

I make the same mistake in every rpg in that I want three items to fight with (for example bows, magic and just enough sword/spear play to get my through tight spots up close). Trying to build for the 3 usually leaves me too weak.

I am hoping with the guide I can really plan out my character carefully so that I make intelligent leveling decisions.

Yes. I always play offline. I only play online when I need to summon help or if I want to farm bosses and let myself be summoned.
The rest will do you good. I took more then a month off before this and I needed it. It's more of the same. (Which is a GREAT thing.) It's all better looking and new so it's refreshing, but exploring brand new areas at low levels with no rings or upgraded weapons is obviously challenging.
Good to hear that. Aside from a few tweaks (like the "adaptability" stat and stuff along those lines), this franchise does not need to reinvent itself. More of the same is perfect.

Steady,

Did you get it?If you're going dex, choose the Bandit. Duel wield until you find the buckler or buy a shield. 100% physical isn't available for a bit or so I hear.

Thanks!No, I did not get it. I am going to read the strategy guide book first and wait the wikia's to populate and then buy in a couple of months.

I saw there was one interesting class that looks like you basically start off with nothing (instead of a partially formed character) but I am scared that will be almost impossible to get going.

I make the same mistake in every rpg in that I want three items to fight with (for example bows, magic and just enough sword/spear play to get my through tight spots up close). Trying to build for the 3 usually leaves me too weak.

I am hoping with the guide I can really plan out my character carefully so that I make intelligent leveling decisions.
You can respec your stats at the very minimum once and I think more so it won't be imperative that you build a perfect build the first time out.

Good to hear that. Aside from a few tweaks (like the "adaptability" stat and stuff along those lines), this franchise does not need to reinvent itself. More of the same is perfect.
Exactly. I tried hard to stay away from any videos of this but I did see a few clips where the main was fighting a lot of enemies at once and I was worried it was going to turn into a joke. No worries there.

This is the first souls game where I'm part of the collective exploring the areas so I've been attempting to read the forms and it's pretty annoying.

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
469k deaths worldwide last night

1,398,719 deaths worldwide today
Now I know someone responded to this but for the life of me , my phone just doesn't show it. Reloaded the thread multiple times but anyway.....

So the guy asked where this showed up at: in the beach town of Majula there is a tall monument with a plaque.

Fun thing I found out today, when you play offline it tells you how many times you have died. I gotta be honest , I've felt a little ashamed of getting my ### just handed to me so far. I was pleasantly surprised it was only at 26 deaths.

I am devouring the guide book right now.

Only problem is that I keep changing my mind on what type of character to build. Now I am thinking of a tank with some sorcery for light ranged attacks.

It isn't a problem . There is an item you can burn at the areas bonfire that resets the re spawns.

I have killed the same 15 dudes on the area I am now AT LEAST 30 times and they're still re spawning.
which area?

So I was bored and watched some game play videos from ENB (Epic Name Bro). He is one of the guys that wrote the guide for the new game. The beginning looks a lot easier than it was before. I don't think people will be making suicide runs to grab stuff or any of that at least in the beginning.

JerseyToughGuys said:

which area?
The ENB videos said the no respawn was real but that in some areas it is really high. Please note if you use the bonfire to reset an area it sets it to NG+1.

JerseyToughGuys said:
It isn't a problem . There is an item you can burn at the areas bonfire that resets the re spawns.I have killed the same 15 dudes on the area I am now AT LEAST 30 times and they're still re spawning.
which area?
The ENB videos said the no respawn was real but that in some areas it is really high. Please note if you use the bonfire to reset an area it sets it to NG+1.
There are a few areas where the guys have stopped respawning for me. It's bad guy specific. As in you have to kill this dude X amount of times and he stops respawning. If say, you don't kill the guy next to him 10 times. That guy next to him will respawn 10 more times before he stops spawning.

Resetting at the bonfire does nothing butcrevivectjem as normal. You have to burn a item at the bonfire to send that specific area only to NG+.

So I was bored and watched some game play videos from ENB (Epic Name Bro). He is one of the guys that wrote the guide for the new game. The beginning looks a lot easier than it was before. I don't think people will be making suicide runs to grab stuff or any of that at least in the beginning.
ENB is awesome and I watched a lot of his videos for Souls and all of his DSII videos.

I don't think the beginning is any easier. In fact there aren't many items worth making a suicide runs for at the beginning. You're also watching a guy who played the beginning dozens of times already.

The first level in Demons Souls is by far the hardest of the series.

JerseyToughGuys said:
It isn't a problem . There is an item you can burn at the areas bonfire that resets the re spawns.I have killed the same 15 dudes on the area I am now AT LEAST 30 times and they're still re spawning.
which area?
There are a few areas where the guys have stopped respawning for me. It's bad guy specific. As in you have to kill this dude X amount of times and he stops respawning. If say, you don't kill the guy next to him 10 times. That guy next to him will respawn 10 more times before he stops spawning.

Resetting at the bonfire does nothing butcrevivectjem as normal. You have to burn a item at the bonfire to send that specific area only to NG+.
Yeah I meant when you burn the item.

It snowed here in the DMV but I still made it to work. I just picked up some Sushi and I'm looking forward to toking up and having a nice long session.

ENB is awesome and I watched a lot of his videos for Souls and all of his DSII videos.

I don't think the beginning is any easier. In fact there aren't many items worth making a suicide runs for at the beginning. You're also watching a guy who played the beginning dozens of times already.

I meant from a getting started viewpoint. No demon to have to jump down on and kill to get to the first real area of the game. Just seems like they ease you in a bit more. But ENB did say the intensity picks up pretty quickly.

ENB is awesome and I watched a lot of his videos for Souls and all of his DSII videos.I don't think the beginning is any easier. In fact there aren't many items worth making a suicide runs for at the beginning. You're also watching a guy who played the beginning dozens of times already.

I meant from a getting started viewpoint. No demon to have to jump down on and kill to get to the first real area of the game. Just seems like they ease you in a bit more. But ENB did say the intensity picks up pretty quickly.
Fair enough. Yeah I never had an issue with the asylum demon and don't consider the game starting until fire link.

But you're right . There is some easy stuff then it gets ready hard once you make it to the land of the giants.

ENB is awesome and I watched a lot of his videos for Souls and all of his DSII videos.I don't think the beginning is any easier. In fact there aren't many items worth making a suicide runs for at the beginning. You're also watching a guy who played the beginning dozens of times already.

Fair enough. Yeah I never had an issue with the asylum demon and don't consider the game starting until fire link.

But you're right . There is some easy stuff then it gets ready hard once you make it to the land of the giants.
Asylum Demon kicked my ###. I have never really gotten the jump attack mechanics right. I understand they changed it and now it works better.

I ran out of weapons and heals during my first run through the forest. That was a #####. Had to keep luring the 4 hollows around the sleeping knight down that corridor to take them out. Then crawl up the ladder and hope to hell the two around the corner (protecting the topside archer) didn't get a hit in on me.

Finally picked up a broadsword and it was like I was weilding a lightsaber.

good times.

I ran out of weapons and heals during my first run through the forest. That was a #####. Had to keep luring the 4 hollows around the sleeping knight down that corridor to take them out. Then crawl up the ladder and hope to hell the two around the corner (protecting the topside archer) didn't get a hit in on me.

Finally picked up a broadsword and it was like I was weilding a lightsaber.

good times.
Very nice. I rocked the ******* sword for a longtime. Until I found the fire long sword.

Now I'm wielding a ******* Sword +4. I'm hitting for 300+ .

question:

When comparing weapons, will the weapons data only show the base damage or does it also include the affects of scaling?

For example: Lets say a weapon has a base damage of 100 and a scaling quaity of A for strength.

When I look at the weapon, will it just show me the 100 damage or will it show me 100+(what ever the scaling works out to be based on my strength)?

It's an action RPG where the fighting requires patience and cunning. Until you know the areas well you will die A LOT. So much that you will want to give up and you likely will. But.... If you muscle through the beginning and build your skills you get better and your character will get stronger. Areas that took literally hundreds of lives - you will cruise through like a knife through butter. It isn't because you have better stats. Even the lowliest enemy can still kill you if your guard is down. It's because you have mastered that area.

is it like a splinter cell stealth? I am not a huge rpg guy but certain ones that are minimal i don't mind. My friend was pimping the first one...is it *scary/creepy" I don't mind left4dead...Last of us creepy but not a say bios hock creepy... The commercials and write ups look cool

edit so no checkpoints?
the games not for you. Trust me. Its not a knock on you at all. I know your gaming style from your posts. Theyre similar to mine.

Users who are viewing this thread