What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tires (1 Viewer)

Chadstroma

Footballguy
I need new tires on my 2005 F-150 FX4. I don't do tons of driving (only 37K on it) but obviously being in Chicago I need tires that will be good for the winter. Beyond that, just a good quality tire that has a good ride, minimum noise and you get the value out of it (not sure what else you look for in a tire). I don't do any serious 4X4ing so I don't need crazy, nobby, crawler tires or anything. Also, I don't pull anything though in the future I likely will but nothing too heavy.

It currently has some BF Goodrich tires on it. The tread is fine by there is quite a bit of dry rot happening. The Ford dealership suggested to get some Goodyears. I stopped by a Discount Tire this weekend and the guy suggested that the Michelin was the best route to go (I LTX but I am not sure exactly which ones) which were slightly pricier. He said that they were much better with noise, ride and snow.

I don't know. How does one buy tires if they are not just looking at best price or taking the word of someone who might have a hidden agenda?

Any suggestions? Or suggestions on how to figure out the best tire?

I need new tires on my 2005 F-150 FX4. I don't do tons of driving (only 37K on it) but obviously being in Chicago I need tires that will be good for the winter. Beyond that, just a good quality tire that has a good ride, minimum noise and you get the value out of it (not sure what else you look for in a tire). I don't do any serious 4X4ing so I don't need crazy, nobby, crawler tires or anything. Also, I don't pull anything though in the future I likely will but nothing too heavy. It currently has some BF Goodrich tires on it. The tread is fine by there is quite a bit of dry rot happening. The Ford dealership suggested to get some Goodyears. I stopped by a Discount Tire this weekend and the guy suggested that the Michelin was the best route to go (I LTX but I am not sure exactly which ones) which were slightly pricier. He said that they were much better with noise, ride and snow. I don't know. How does one buy tires if they are not just looking at best price or taking the word of someone who might have a hidden agenda?Any suggestions? Or suggestions on how to figure out the best tire?
Tirerack.com

I need new tires on my 2005 F-150 FX4. I don't do tons of driving (only 37K on it) but obviously being in Chicago I need tires that will be good for the winter. Beyond that, just a good quality tire that has a good ride, minimum noise and you get the value out of it (not sure what else you look for in a tire). I don't do any serious 4X4ing so I don't need crazy, nobby, crawler tires or anything. Also, I don't pull anything though in the future I likely will but nothing too heavy.

It currently has some BF Goodrich tires on it. The tread is fine by there is quite a bit of dry rot happening. The Ford dealership suggested to get some Goodyears. I stopped by a Discount Tire this weekend and the guy suggested that the Michelin was the best route to go (I LTX but I am not sure exactly which ones) which were slightly pricier. He said that they were much better with noise, ride and snow.

I don't know. How does one buy tires if they are not just looking at best price or taking the word of someone who might have a hidden agenda?

Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo's

Was just in Firestone this weekend and they had a really nice looking truck tire, have to see if I can find it. Guessing it's crazy expensive because it looked good. I have the same truck that is going to need tires next year so I'll be following along. Let us know what you come up with.

Think it was this Firestone Destination M/T. I have a set of Destination LE's on my Kia Sorrento that I've been happy with (actually 2nd set I've put on it).

These are awesome tires. Good in snow and quiet on pavement unlike All Terrain TAs which wear unevenly (yes with good alignment). They also will get you around 60,000 miles give or take.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to tirerack.com, input all the info on my car, and then ranked the Ultra High Performance All Season tires to find the ones I put on my car. I can take a corner at 50 in the rain if I wanted to, and never slide at all.

tirerack is the only answer
This. Ordered from them just two weeks ago.I had no idea what I needed on my car, other than I have summer performance tires and we just moved to a hilly area and it would be a death trap in winter. Went to tirerack, they spec out a winter wheel package for my car. Pick tires, wheels (and I even screwed up sizing somehow, but they called me to fix the order before shipping), and it gets shipped to me tires already mounted and balanced. Up to the local station to have the wheels swapped, and we're all set. It was pretty painless.

These are awesome tires. Good in snow and quiet on pavement unlike All Terrain TAs which wear unevenly (yes with good alignment). They also will get you around 60,000 miles give or take.
I went with Bridgestone Blizzak for the winter, 19" as opposed to the 20" we've got on the summer wheels. I suppose I'll regularly swap my winter and summer wheels out with the seasons.

This. Ordered from them just two weeks ago.I had no idea what I needed on my car, other than I have summer performance tires and we just moved to a hilly area and it would be a death trap in winter. Went to tirerack, they spec out a winter wheel package for my car. Pick tires, wheels (and I even screwed up sizing somehow, but they called me to fix the order before shipping), and it gets shipped to me tires already mounted and balanced. Up to the local station to have the wheels swapped, and we're all set. It was pretty painless.
People still do this? I thought this went out a long time ago. So you bought new rims just for winter tires? Why not just the tires and get them mounted?

People still do this? I thought this went out a long time ago. So you bought new rims just for winter tires? Why not just the tires and get them mounted?
I was wondering that myself. Sure would be super convenient to get new tires with rims all ready to go as I'd just throw them on myself (i really hate having to pay/wait for other people to do stuff for me), but how much cost does that add for the new rims.

Was just in Firestone this weekend and they had a really nice looking truck tire, have to see if I can find it. Guessing it's crazy expensive because it looked good. I have the same truck that is going to need tires next year so I'll be following along. Let us know what you come up with.

Think it was this Firestone Destination M/T. I have a set of Destination LE's on my Kia Sorrento that I've been happy with (actually 2nd set I've put on it).
Those look awesome but way more off-road than I need here in Chicago. Also, if I was understanding the guy right at the store, the off-road tires like these are not so good in snow. Surprising to me because I would have thought that the nobby off-road tires would be the best for snow too...

I was wondering that myself. Sure would be super convenient to get new tires with rims all ready to go as I'd just throw them on myself (i really hate having to pay/wait for other people to do stuff for me), but how much cost does that add for the new rims.
Well to be honest, I'm not bashing Otis here but I haven't heard of people doing this since I was a kid. Unless they live in Minnesota or something. My dad had a set of beater rims with his snow tires on it he would change out every year, but he was a mechanic so rims were easy for him to get :) and this is like 30 years ago. I figured with all the new technology of all weather tires etc that people didn't still do this. :shrug:

I actually found some tires were cheaper at discounttiredirect.com. The tires themselves were a little more expensive, but it was free shipping, which would have cost me at least $65.
The cheapest I found is on discounttires.com (with an s). Add in shipping and they are about $180 a piece compared to the $254 from Discount Tires (online or in store). However, Discount Tires price matches (he did it while I was in the store with one website and knocked the price down to $235 a shot).

Wouldn't you still need to get them balanced etc?

tirerack.com seems to track with what the guy at Discount Tire was saying and the Michelin LTX M/S2 seem to be the best fit and best tire. I found them on discounttires.com for a lot less and I will call him to get him to match that price. If he does, great, I will head over there. If not (cause it is a pretty steep discount, maybe at some point they stop matching price?) then I will order them online.

Unless anyone has any objections.

Well to be honest, I'm not bashing Otis here but I haven't heard of people doing this since I was a kid. Unless they live in Minnesota or something. My dad had a set of beater rims with his snow tires on it he would change out every year, but he was a mechanic so rims were easy for him to get :) and this is like 30 years ago. I figured with all the new technology of all weather tires etc that people didn't still do this. :shrug:
All joking aside, but NJ (I think that is where Otis resides) is the new Minnesota with the snow they have been having the past couple of years. I don't think studded tires are legal in NJ (my friend got some in H.S. because his car was awful in the snow and he always drove it like he stole it), and if you are a 12k mile/year type of driver, it actually may pan out for you (could get 6+ seasons out of those wheels).I do think you bring up a good point about the all-weather tires made today. I moved from CT to NC in '99, so I just buy all-weather, but I am guessing the all-weather tires of today are just as good in the snow as the "snow tires" in 1980s and earlier.

I do have a question for people by from "tirerack" and these other places. When you consider you order online, pay for shipping and pay for mounting, is it really cheaper than going to Costco and getting it all done in 45 minutes?

Otis said previously that they come mounted and balanced.

I used tirerack to research tires for my truck. Goodyear fortera tripletread looked to be best, but the michelin MS2 looked nearly as highly rated, and cost was enough less to push me in that direction. Bought them at local tire store

Those look awesome but way more off-road than I need here in Chicago. Also, if I was understanding the guy right at the store, the off-road tires like these are not so good in snow. Surprising to me because I would have thought that the nobby off-road tires would be the best for snow too...
Yea but they look really ####### cool ;) Michelin's are a great tire, not cheap but a great tire. On knock I've heard on tirerack.com, etc is some of your tire stores don't like handling the mounting/balancing and will give you grief when you walk in with tires off the net.

My wife did the tirerack purchase and had them delivered directly to a local mechanic that did the mounting and balancing. Saves you the hassle of having to transport the tires from your house to the mechanic.

All joking aside, but NJ (I think that is where Otis resides) is the new Minnesota with the snow they have been having the past couple of years. I don't think studded tires are legal in NJ (my friend got some in H.S. because his car was awful in the snow and he always drove it like he stole it), and if you are a 12k mile/year type of driver, it actually may pan out for you (could get 6+ seasons out of those wheels).I do think you bring up a good point about the all-weather tires made today. I moved from CT to NC in '99, so I just buy all-weather, but I am guessing the all-weather tires of today are just as good in the snow as the "snow tires" in 1980s and earlier.

I do have a question for people by from "tirerack" and these other places. When you consider you order online, pay for shipping and pay for mounting, is it really cheaper than going to Costco and getting it all done in 45 minutes?
I checked Costco for the Goodyear's that the dealership suggested and they were the same price. Finding online, there is the a huge difference even with the shipping. I plan on just using them to get Discount Tire to match and then go on my merry way saving a good amount.

Just seemed easier to me. From now on it will be a matter of bringing it up to my service station, they swap out the wheels, and I'm off in 30 minutes. I've got an Audi Q5 with the s-line sport package/oversized wheels/Z-rated tires. All together that ends up being a nightmare in slick conditions. Just wasn't comfortable with my wife and kid driving without me. I suppose I could have got all seasons, and I thought about that, but we live in a very hilly area, there is a steep hill we drive up and down daily to get to the train, and our driveway is on a good hill. I figured better safe than sorry.

I guess long run it evens out. But for mounting and balancing I figure is much cheaper than rims (wheels) - I call them rims
All joking aside, but NJ (I think that is where Otis resides) is the new Minnesota with the snow they have been having the past couple of years. I don't think studded tires are legal in NJ (my friend got some in H.S. because his car was awful in the snow and he always drove it like he stole it), and if you are a 12k mile/year type of driver, it actually may pan out for you (could get 6+ seasons out of those wheels).

I do think you bring up a good point about the all-weather tires made today. I moved from CT to NC in '99, so I just buy all-weather, but I am guessing the all-weather tires of today are just as good in the snow as the "snow tires" in 1980s and earlier.

I live in NJ - well aware of the winters. However prior to the last 2, I used my 4 wheel drive maybe twice the prior 8 years
Only with the full wheel put "together" - I was just thinking it was much cheaper to take 4 tires to the tire place and have them remove the summer tires from the rim and put the winter tires on the same rim. Figure it was much cheaper than buying a whole new set of rim/wheels. Maybe it's not. Either way I don't do this :)

Well, mounted seems obvious. I always thought the balanced was getting it balanced on the car... is it balancing the tire in some way on the wheel? (yes, I am this clueless about this kind of stuff)

Well, mounted seems obvious. I always thought the balanced was getting it balanced on the car... is it balancing the tire in some way on the wheel? (yes, I am this clueless about this kind of stuff)
I think yes, but I'm about as clueless as you are.

When you put a tire on a rim/wheel. They run it through a machine. They balance the wheel from wobble with counter weights on the rim. If you put a different tire on you have to rebalance it. Sometimes it doesn't need anything done, sometimes it does. You will notice little weights on your rim, that is balanced, if you have nice rims, they pur the weights on the other side of the rim

Pretty clueless myself. I think the wheel alignment is the one with the tires on the car. :shrug:

Pretty clueless myself. I think the wheel alignment is the one with the tires on the car. :shrug:
Alignment <> balancing your tires.You are all guys right? :P

I used tirerack to do my research, then went to the local Firestone to buy the tires.

I used tirerack to research tires for my truck. Goodyear fortera tripletread looked to be best, but the michelin MS2 looked nearly as highly rated, and cost was enough less to push me in that direction. Bought them at local tire store
Didn't get this option. Only Goodyear Wrangler SR-A came up with tire rack. The Michelin were easily the highest rated (9) by reviews.

I recently put these on my truck. VERY quiet and smooth on the highway. I don't get into the snow much but they have been great in loose dirt and mud.

I did a lot of looking and used the discounttires price to get price matching. Almost every dealer would match (considerations taken for shipping of course).

Been a great tire and i saw lots of great reviews. The pricing was better than the rest of the major tire companies.

Nitto Terra Grappler

I ran these before that but they won't help you a bit in the snow. Good tire though.

Falken

Didn't get this option. Only Goodyear Wrangler SR-A came up with tire rack. The Michelin were easily the highest rated (9) by reviews.
What size is on your truck?

Alignment <> balancing your tires.You are all guys right? :P
I was sick on the day they taught this stuff at man school.

Damn yuppies I tell ya :D If you do go to a a just tire/ ntsb etc etc. You can negotiate a lower price. be careful though as they will try to sell you a lesser tire. Your nicer tires will have a better mileage rating usually. If you plan on keeping the vehicle a while get the better tire.When I was geting ready to sell mine - I put on like a 20k tire

LT275/65R18The dealership recommended Wrangler AT/S

Damn yuppies I tell ya :D If you do go to a a just tire/ ntsb etc etc. You can negotiate a lower price. be careful though as they will try to sell you a lesser tire. Your nicer tires will have a better mileage rating usually. If you plan on keeping the vehicle a while get the better tire.When I was geting ready to sell mine - I put on like a 20k tire
And then sold it to some schmoe like me. :hot:

I had these on my Durango and thought they were very good.

The fact that you had a Durango means that your opinion can not be very good.

:) Bought one of the first ones out 98 or 99 (IT WAS ON A TRUCK FRAME)... That thing was a BEAST for the first 4 years. Then it was a total POS... Would never get another but did last me 8.5 years :)

:) Bought one of the first ones out 98 or 99 (IT WAS ON A TRUCK FRAME)... That thing was a BEAST for the first 4 years. Then it was a total POS... Would never get another but did last me 8.5 years :)
Well, at least you show the ability to stubbornly learn from your mistakes.

Those Wranglers have the lowest weight classification of the ones mentioned here and also a crappy UTQG rating so i wouldn't expect much from them for the long haul (or the heavy haul).

The LTX MS has a low weight classification but a very good quality rating which is why they are a 70,000 mile tire, They sure don't look like they would be very good in any snow or mud though.

Since you don't tow or carry a lot of loads the weight class shouldn't really worry you but i'd guess those Wranglers would be done in under 36k miles.

The Nittos i referenced fall in between the quality rating and are higher than both in weight class. It's a 45k tire i believe.

These Falkens have a more aggressive tread for mud/snow, are a 50k warranty and a higher weight rating than all of the above. Price is pretty damn good and the reviews don't look bad either.

Falken

If your people are telling you those LTX MS tires can handle your Chicago winters, i'd probably go that route. You don't drive much, don't tow or haul much so you will probably get beyond 70k with them if you wanted to. I just question the ability in snow with that tread.

Those Wranglers have the lowest weight classification of the ones mentioned here and also a crappy UTQG rating so i wouldn't expect much from them for the long haul (or the heavy haul).

The LTX MS has a low weight classification but a very good quality rating which is why they are a 70,000 mile tire, They sure don't look like they would be very good in any snow or mud though.

Since you don't tow or carry a lot of loads the weight class shouldn't really worry you but i'd guess those Wranglers would be done in under 36k miles.

The Nittos i referenced fall in between the quality rating and are higher than both in weight class. It's a 45k tire i believe.

These Falkens have a more aggressive tread for mud/snow, are a 50k warranty and a higher weight rating than all of the above. Price is pretty damn good and the reviews don't look bad either.

Falken

If your people are telling you those LTX MS tires can handle your Chicago winters, i'd probably go that route. You don't drive much, don't tow or haul much so you will probably get beyond 70k with them if you wanted to. I just question the ability in snow with that tread.
Yea, those look like they would be better snow tires but what the heck do I know? (obviously not much)In reading the reviews on tirerack and discounttires, I sought out the cold area reviews (holy crap... about 4 out of 5 reviews on all sites are from Texas.) and Michigan, Minn, etc seem to rave about the snow ability of these Michelin's. I don't understand it but it seems like these are the winners.

In the last 3 sets of tires I've bought, mileage & wear were the two things I looked at. That kind of dictates price, type of tire, etc. so you go from there.When you go to sell and you have wrung every last bit of tread out of your tires buy a used set with some tread on them for $100-$150. Makes a big difference to someone buying the vehicle.

Holy cow. Never realized there was so much to tires. I don't even rotate mine. I know that's not good but I would never think of having two sets of tires like oats. Now im paranoid and need to buy new tires.

I had those tires on a pick up. I got over 50K miles out of them, which is fantastic for that style tread. They were very good in snow, mud, deep standing water and dry roads. But for ice and light rain, they really could have used some siping. I wouldn't buy them if you're never going off road.

Users who are viewing this thread