What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Team X Chess thread (1 Viewer)

Sand

Footballguy
Gents, this is the Team X thread. If you aren't Sand, Pizzatyme, joe t, wdcrob, spoofy, boomboom, unialias you are more than welcome to look in on this thread, but please don't kibbutz. If you just wandered in here this is a thread for the team above to play Team O in a couple games of chess. We will be discussing moves and lines in here to crush those other guys. Rules are pretty simple:

- 3 days for each move.

- We will play one game as white and one as black simultaneously, so please label your lines as such.

- We can consult chess opening books, but after that it is brainpower. No chess engines. The analyze feature in Chess Time is awesome - great tool.

- We have a spread of folks in experience and skill. Since this is a learning experience everyone should contribute and put their thoughts on the line they think is best. I look forward to this as there are concepts that I know that I will get a better handle on. So please contribute.

- When contributing please post the line you foresee for a long as you think is useful. It helps a lot when you find your error 3 moves down the line. Or when you miss a possible response to your line (a big one for me).

- We will use a day or two to discuss and then have a vote on the best line to take. I expect the decisions will be pretty cut and dry by the time discussion is done.

Anything else I missed?

This should be fun!

Some good resources we can use:

http://www.chessgames.com/ Has awesome opening stats. We can refer to this for our opening library.

http://www.caissa.com/chess-tools/chess-diagram-generator.php For this you can enter moves and have it animate. It may help with looking over proposed lines.

Team O - Team X:

Otello Otello - Sand Sand101

kutta kutta - Pizza Pizzatyme

psychopav psychopav - Joe T Joe_T

karpis Ray_Karpis - wdcrob WDCrob

brownsfan brownsfan - spoofy spOOfy

bogart Bowlin - boomboom boomboomjr

dancing bones dancingbones - unialias chasec

Last edited by a moderator:
Post reserved for White Game

[Event "Playing on Chess Time"]
[site "ChessTime"]
[Date "2014.02.28"]
[Round "1"]
[White "Team X"]
[black "Team O"]
[Result "0-0"]

1. c4 Nf6
2. Nf3 g6
3. Nc3 Bg7
4. d4 O-O
5. e4 d6
6. Be2 e5
7. Be3 Ng4
8. Bg5 f6
9. Bh4 Nc6
10.d5 Ne7
11.h3 Nh6
12.g4 Nf7
13.Qd2 c6
14.b4 a5
15.b5 cxb5
16.Nxb5 Bd7
17. a4 Bxb5
18.cxb5 Qb6
19. O-O Rac8
20.Rac1 Rxc1
21.Rxc1 Bh6
22.Qe1 Bxc1
23.Qxc1 g5
24.Bg3 Rc8
25.Bc4 Qc5
26.Nd2 Qb4
27.Qc2 Ng6
28.f3 Nf4
29.Bxf4 gxf4
30.Kg2 b6
31.h4 h6
32 Qa2 Nd8
33 Bb3 Rc3
34 Kh3 Qd4
35 Kg2 Rc1
36 Nf1 Qd3
37. Nd2 Qe2+
0-1

Post reserved for Black Game.

[Event "Playing on Chess Time"]
[site "ChessTime"]
[Date "2014.02.28"]
[Round "1"]
[White "Team O"]
[black "Team X"]
[Result "0-0"]

1. e4 c5
2. Nf3 d6
3. d4 cxd4
4. Nxd4 Nf6
5. Nc3 a6
6. Bg5 e6
7. f4 Qb6
8. Qd2 Qxb2
9. Rb1 Qa3
10.e5 dxe5
11.fxe5 Nfd7
12.Ne4 h6
13.Bh4 g5
14.Bg3 Qxa2
15.Rd1 Qd5
16.Qd3 Nc6
17.Nxc6 Qxd3
18.Rxd3 bxc6
19.Be2 Be7
20.Bh5 Nc5
21.Nxc5 Bxc5
22. h4 Rg8
23. Rf1 Rg7
24. hxg5 hxg5
25. Kd2 a5
26. Bf3 Bd7
27. Ke2 a4
[SIZE=10.5pt]28.[/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]R[/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]fd1[/SIZE] [SIZE=10.5pt]Rd8 [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]29.B[/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]xc6[/SIZE] [SIZE=10.5pt]Bxc6[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]30.R[/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]xd8+ [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]K[/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]e7[/SIZE]
31.Bf2 Bb5+
32.Kf3 g4+
33. Kg3 Bxf2
34. Kxf2 Rg5
35. c4 Be8
36. Ra8 Rxe5
37. Ra7+ Kf6
38. Rd8 Bc6
39. Rf8 Rf5+
40 Kg3 Kg6
41. Rg8+ Kh5
42. Rxg4

We should start discussing the white game and the opening we'd like to open with. Personally I'd like on the black side to push towards a very proactive defense, like the Sicilian. So in this game I'd like to get White's move in first to push them towards an e4 opening by opening here with something different, like c4 or d4. Thoughts?

Honestly, I'm good with any opening. Since I've been away from openings for a while, I'll leave it to youz foolz to get us going. I think my help would come in analysis and middle to end game.

I'm just not that güt. :)

Honestly, I'm good with any opening. Since I've been away from openings for a while, I'll leave it to youz foolz to get us going. I think my help would come in analysis and middle to end game.

I'm just not that güt. :)
Actually, my last rule was going to be "ties are broken by Pizza, since he obviously knows what he is doing" :lol:

We should start discussing the white game and the opening we'd like to open with. Personally I'd like on the black side to push towards a very proactive defense, like the Sicilian. So in this game I'd like to get White's move in first to push them towards an e4 opening by opening here with something different, like c4 or d4. Thoughts?
I like this.

Also, just as a general comment, I think both of our openings should be something non-standard / interesting so that the game is more interesting. If we just take a standard chess opening, then there is no real discussion on moves.

I don't have specific ideas in mind yet, but will do so later this afternoon.

Joe, this is basically how I've been playing since I started back up in January. I like to get the game off the "grid" so to speak so that it might mitigate the advantage someone has who is well versed in their particular opening, if that makes sense.

Most openings go maybe 6-10 moves deep and then get derailed anyway. While the concept is still there, you have to adjust on the fly.

I like them to adjust early and often. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Joe, this is basically how I've been playing since I started back up in January. I like to get the game off the "grid" so to speak so that it might mitigate the advantage someone has who is well versed in their particular opening, if that makes sense.

Most openings go maybe 6-10 moves deep and then get derailed anyway. While the concept is still there, you have to adjust on the fly.

I like them to adjust early and often. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.
So, since I have never played or played against c4 that I remember, I'm going to start the voting there. I doubt that the English opening is super well known over there, either.

Radio Commander to Tower, request takeoff on runway 4-Charlie? Request granted...over. Roger that! Over out!

Go for it gang... I doubt I have much to say about our actual choices here, but I'm looking forward to following and maybe asking a few Qs.

i will be mostly learning in here. since i know not a single name for an opening, i'll trust what you go with.

i will be mostly learning in here. since i know not a single name for an opening, i'll trust what you go with.
Go to the chessgames link that I posted in the top post. In the search box put in "1 c4" and it will start you off with that and at the bottom right start to give you the possible opening designations of what you are choosing. That way you can start learning these things. I am far from expert - that's where I'm spouting off from.

Besides, it sounds smart to say that we're aiming for the Sicilian Dragon Variation...

Or the Fried Twinkie Gambit!
:kicksrock:

A google search didn't turn up anything.

White game kicked off. c4 it is.

When you can please send an invite to your partner so you can follow along and be able to visualize and analyze your moves. Set the timer to 3 days.

Also, since with white we have chosen c4 if those of you who are interested you can look at a couple videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0hWWfcfEHg&index=14&list=PL95D57046F196F063

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htNc9zFPdQs&index=13&list=PL95D57046F196F063

Those two cover the basics of the English opening and the Nimzo-Indian defense, which is what c4 tends to turn into. The dude who does those videos is very good - lots of learning in 10 minutes there!

Team O-White has opened with... e4! Exactly what we were hoping for. I vote for c5 to start up the Sicilian Defense. It is very effective statistically and leads to a pretty wide open game. All pluses in my book.

Just as a note Team O is doubling us up on discussion. I voted for c4 sicilian defense. It should be noted that this is almost a mirror of what we started with white. Anyone have anything else they'd like to propose?

f6 Alekhine defense?

c6 Caro-Cann?

c5 Sicilian?

Is there somewhere to post what moves have taken place so far without searching through the thread?

Given I can't see the board and there are two games going, it would be nice to have an easy way to track both games.

Edit: never mind I see it now.

Is there somewhere to post what moves have taken place so far without searching through the thread?

Given I can't see the board and there are two games going, it would be nice to have an easy way to track both games.
In two places - in posts 2 and 3 I am posting the games as they go.

Also, you should send an invite to psychopav (and him to you) to track the white and black games in Chess Time. That way you can play with the analyze feature.

Also, as a note you can take the PGN files that are being generated in posts 2 and 3 and paste them into here http://www.caissa.com/chess-tools/chess-diagram-generator.php and look at the game that way, as well.

I like your sicilian c5 idea. It's not something I typically play so it should be interesting.

I like your sicilian c5 idea. It's not something I typically play so it should be interesting.
3/7 do we have a fourth?

Cross-posting :1995:

I love the chess365,com opening database. I'm not proud of this, but I use it extensively in correspondence chess. It's the tugboat that safely navigates me into deep waters.

http://www.365chess.com/opening.php
Nice. I have been referencing chessgames. This one may be even easier to use.

Team O-Black has gone Nf6.

Possible responses are Nf3, Nc3, g3, and d4. d4 leads to a number of defenses, so it drags things back into more tread ground. Nf3 seems across the board in the explorer to lead to white keeping the tempo best, as it seems to have good success against most common responses. g3 is the more hyper modern approach, but is likely harder to play as it keeps white off the center of the board longer. Nc3 is the classic English. Thoughts?

Also, on the other game I'm going to go ahead and go c5 to keep that going. The weekend may be light on traffic here, so 3/7 will be good enough for that one.

Also I have both games going with psychopav so this should be much easier to follow.

How do they have 60 posts so far for 2 moves? Timschochet must be posting over there. ;)

3/7 at this early stage is good enough for me. Nf3 it is.

Funny enough in the current game I have with Pizza we ended up with the English Kramnik-Shirnov, whatever that is. In other words, off the book really quick.

I predict a :tfp: for me, but it will be fun to have Pizza crush me again.

I don't have time to comment this morning, so look forward to what others say.

Team O - White Nf6

Team O - Black g6

I will say with our white move I would prefer to continue with Nc3 and then start pushing pawns while he is fooling with the fianchetto.

Be back later on today.

Sounds good to me. I see no reason to deviate yet in either game. The twinkie fire dragon is still a few moves away.

Sounds good to me. I see no reason to deviate yet in either game. The twinkie fire dragon is still a few moves away.
Well, in our English opening I think Nc3 is pretty set, though I'd like another concurrence from someone to solidify that one.

For our Sicilian defense I see a number of options:

d6

Nc6

e6

These are the most common variations. I'd like to stay away from Nc6 as that is a mirror to our other game (do something different). e6 contests the white squares and d6 puts a strong claim on the dark squares. Also to consider are:

g6 - Sicilian dragon variation, which evidently leads to a very open game.

b6 - Sicilian Katalimov variation. Looks pretty cool - leads to a pretty open game

All historically have good odds against white. I vote b6, just so Team O hits 200 posts, half of which are "WTF is Team X doing here?" :P

But any thoughts there are good.

Not much of a student of openings, but I love getting my knights into play early, so I like Nc3 for the white game.

My instinct would be d6 to give the bishop more space, but I enjoy open games, so I don't have a problem going b6. Just seems like we're giving white the opportunity to seize control of the middle of the board.

Not much of a student of openings, but I love getting my knights into play early, so I like Nc3 for the white game.

My instinct would be d6 to give the bishop more space, but I enjoy open games, so I don't have a problem going b6. Just seems like we're giving white the opportunity to seize control of the middle of the board.
Nc3 for the white game - done.

d6 for the black game. I'll go with that. 2 votes there. Do we have a third?

Done - Team O has both moves to accomplish. Likely tomorrow. In a few moves (after turn 5 or so) we'll need to get everyone to start thinking about the games. It is going to start getting interesting about then.

New moves in.

In our White game O has moved Bg7. No real surprise there. The main lines are e4, d4, and g3. I say we lay claim to the center of the board with e4.

In our Black game O has moved d4. The two real choices are c4xd4 and Nf3. Both are very viable. One is kind of a "gambit accepted" and the other "declined". I vote we open up the board and take the pawn.

Now that the weekend is over I hope we'll get five or six of you folks to pop in with opinions. So post away.

I prefer d4 as white. As I feel like d5 or e4 is next depending on what line they do. But, I'm good with e4 I guess. I just think it stinks up the e pawn a bit.

I'm down with taking the pawn as black.

Open to other input.

I don't think there is really a choice as black other than taking the pawn. I dislike all alternatives.

As white, I agree with Pizza, I like d4 best. My reasoning:

1. He's placed a lot of importance early on his black squared bishop. If I were playing this game alone, my plan would be to hold d4 as long as I could blocking his strength.

2. I think it is easier to follow d4 with either g3 or e4 than it is the other way around.

3. I believe it is the most aggressive play which I always lean to. :)

None of the three alternatives sand mentioned are bad though. I guess my second choice as white would be g3.

I don't think there is really a choice as black other than taking the pawn. I dislike all alternatives.

As white, I agree with Pizza, I like d4 best. My reasoning:

1. He's placed a lot of importance early on his black squared bishop. If I were playing this game alone, my plan would be to hold d4 as long as I could blocking his strength.

2. I think it is easier to follow d4 with either g3 or e4 than it is the other way around.

3. I believe it is the most aggressive play which I always lean to. :)

None of the three alternatives sand mentioned are bad though. I guess my second choice as white would be g3.
Done. Take pawn and d4.

Boomboom, nsfl, uni, spoofy, feel free to chime in!

Users who are viewing this thread