What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sleeping on Spikes? Jene? (1 Viewer)

Hook Em'

Footballguy
I'm just wondering if we're all sleeping on Spikes. It seems that his move to BUF has been pretty smooth so far, and he's indeed intrenched at the MLB spot, making all the calls in camp. I know the main fear is that, up until this point he's only been a 2-down LB. I really wish I could find the article where he talks about wanting to show BUF that he can be a 3-down LB, but I know I read it. Anyway, I would really like to hear what everyone thinks, because I think that you could get him somewhat cheap right now.

Jene, you're expertise is beyond reproach, so your input would be greatly appreciated.

Zen Master

Was wondering the same thing.

I was tempted to start a thread on him when I posted this yesterday:

========================================================

Defensive report from Buffalo's OTAs.

Seems Spikes is going to call plays so that hints he'll be more than a two-down thumper.

Could be an IDP sleeper of sorts if he is indeed on the field all three downs.

http://www.buffalobi...4b-b27e412d133d

5 things we learned about the Bills defense this week

Posted Jun 1, 2014

Chris BrownBills Insider

From a new linebacker in the middle to a battle in the secondary, here are the top 5 things we learned about the Bills defense in the first week of OTAs.

Buffalo’s defense is undergoing a good deal of change in preparation for the 2014 season. They have a new defensive coordinator with a new scheme and some new pieces slated to be in the starting lineup. Here are our top five observations about the Bills defense after the first week of organized team activities.

5 – Spikes is calling plays

It wasn’t certain that Brandon Spikes would be making the defensive calls even though he is the team’s middle linebacker, but that has proven to be the case. The veteran looks very comfortable doing so despite being in a brand new scheme and surrounded by all new teammates as well.

I've pushed Spikes as a potentially dominant IDP for years.

He has always been a well above-average run defender and better than you'd think in coverage. However, his knees are an issue and there are off-field concerns. Every time I see him stay on the field full time, I've bumped him near the top 25. Every time -- at least in New England -- it's lasted 1-2 weeks before he's been back in a rotational role.

If he does hold off Nigel Bradham and Keith Rivers and Da'Norris Searcy for subpackage duty, he's a potential LB3++. The "calling plays" doesn't impress me. Many teams have a designated nickel defender with a helmet communicator. That may not be what's happening here, but it's important to make sure it's confirmed that Spikes is in the subpackage huddle before trusting the communicator note.

Absolutely something to keep an eye on. Especially in a contract year.

Um, not sure what to make of this but their is a quick interview with Brandon Spikes from yesterday and it doesn't give anything, typical rah-rah NFL speak, but near the very end Bradon is asked a question from a reporter who saw him in on the 'wedge' team.... Hmnnn.

Spikes said he had not played on special teams since middle school so I found this to be significant if the Bills are going to use him on special teams it hints his role at middle linebacker 'probably' won't be full time if they do indeed use him on ST.

Now to deflect some suspicision. Maybe they have all of their starters get some work on ST during OTAs in case during the season they have a spate of injuries during a game and need to use someone but the fact Spikes said he had never been on special teams since middle school makes me think this is not what any NFL team typically does with a starting MLB.

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Brandon-Spikes-Were-Gonna-Shock-the-World/d8ae091f-02a2-4b4d-9f80-f0813ab214fc

Posted:

17 hours ago Brandon Spikes: "We're Gonna Shock the World"The Bills linebacker talks about how the defense is coming together, being a leader on defense, and playing special teams for the first time in a long time.

On the same page where the above interview with Spikes is, I just saw this interview with Bills DC Jim Schwartz commenting on the overall D. He mentions both Spikes AND rookie LB Preston Brown 6'1 and 251 lbs.

Maybe the 'best play' is to land them both. Seems Spikes is out in front but Brown is in the picture too.

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Brandon-Spikes-Were-Gonna-Shock-the-World/d8ae091f-02a2-4b4d-9f80-f0813ab214fc#/video/videos/Jim_Schwartz_Talks_about_Defensive_Strengths/90cce2d0-4ef6-4bba-90b0-2f13925117fd

Posted:

Jun 4, 2014 Jim Schwartz Talks about Defensive StrengthsBills Defensive Coordinator Jim Schwartz discusses which defensive unit excites him the most and how the first five organized team activities have gone for the defense.

Users who are viewing this thread