What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

jags -- 'otto' lb? (1 Viewer)

Kool-Aid Larry

Footballguy
http://members.jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2014-05-31/story/jaguars-introducing-new-otto-position-defense-hoping

Last year, Jaguars fans became familiar with the Leo position, a lighter defensive end whose specialty was rushing the quarterback.

This year, coach Gus Bradley has deleted the Sam linebacker from the playbook and replaced it with the Otto, a physical/athletic/versatile player who will be positioned along the line of scrimmage.

The goals in creating the Otto: Be more multiple in their looks without radically changing the personnel, help a run defense that was 29th in the NFL last year, provide another option for a pass rush that was tied for last in the league and have a player who is comfortable in coverage.

Dekoda Watson was signed on the second day of free agency from Tampa Bay to be the Otto

I think it would vary by league, like everything else.

I don't want to spread any misinformation, as I'm kind of a noob about this stuff, so maybe this could be confirmed or corrected by others, but you could maybe look to a bruce irvin as a comparison, or maybe even a sio moore in oakland, or even kind of a ninkovich in new england, although he might play more traditional end snaps -- maybe what barr was drafted to do in minny.

I think talent would tend to weigh heavier in the equation for a position like this, so you'd need to evaluate the player as much as the position, and you'd want a scoring system that leans towards big plays and away from compiling tackles -- or is at least fairly deep.

the other thing to consider is who stays on the field in subs, and what their position becomes -- if he stays on there in nickel he'll tend to have value in a deep enough league, but as he's a hybrid end with a LB designation, rather than the DE label, you'd want a system friendly to DE type scoring, I'd think.

here's a little article about what jax may be running (with an assist from jene bramel....)

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2014/5/22/5741638/explaining-46-defense-jaguars-otto-linebacker

maybe another comparison would simply be a 3-4 olb, which can have value depending on the player and league scoring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dekoda Watson has flashed talent for years. I wouldn't be surprised if he blew up in a new system.

Users who are viewing this thread