What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*2015 BBHOF Thread: Congrats Pedro, Unit, Smoltz & Biggio (1 Viewer)

Eephus

Footballguy
The 10-person ballot for consideration by this year’s Golden Era Committee consists of **** Allen, Ken Boyer, Gil Hodges, Bob Howsam, Jim Kaat, Minnie Minoso, Tony Oliva, Billy Pierce, Luis Tiant and Maury Wills.

Kaat (10 votes in 2011), Hodges (9 votes), Minoso (9 votes), Oliva (8 votes), Boyer (less than 3 votes) and Tiant (less than three votes) return to the ballot after appearing in the fall in 2011 in the first vote of the Golden Era Committee. Allen, Howsam, Pierce and Wills will be considered by the Golden Era Committee for the first time.

The 16-person Golden Era Committee, which is reconstituted each time it meets, consists of Hall of Famers Jim Bunning, Rod Carew, Pat Gillick, Ferguson Jenkins, Al Kaline, Joe Morgan, Ozzie Smith and Don Sutton; baseball executives Jim Frey, David Glass, Roland Hemond and Bob Watson; and veteran media members Steve Hirdt, **** Kaegel, Phil Pepe and Tracy Ringolsby.
I'm a big Hall, peak value guy so I'd vote for Minoso, Tiant, Boyer and probably Oliva. If I looked at **** Allen's B-R page, I could probably be convinced about him as well.

Howsam seems like the oddball here. I don't know how much credit he deserves for putting together for the Big Red Machine. The core team was already in place.and fleecing Spec Richardson isn't a great feat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope **** Allen goes In... Shame Albert belle will also have to wait 30 years for his due. Really hope kaat makes it for some sort of overall contribution better winning 283 and broadcasting. Over 50 great years in the game

The Veterans Committee doesn't vote anyone in this year.

Tony Oliva and **** Allen both fell one vote short with 11 out of 16. Maury Wills stole 9 votes.

Eephus said:
Oh My! **** Enberg wins the 2015 Ford Frick award
Saw him interviewed yesterday and he was really choked up about. Meant the world to him.

Shame it was Russo doing that interview.

BBWAA proposes that ballots expand from 10 spots to 12 spots. endorse, though i would have asked for 20. given the 75% threshold, i don't see the problem with allowing individual voters to have a large ballot, especially now that the backlog is so great.

BBWAA proposes that ballots expand from 10 spots to 12 spots. endorse, though i would have asked for 20. given the 75% threshold, i don't see the problem with allowing individual voters to have a large ballot, especially now that the backlog is so great.
Having 10 made sense when this all started because they were voting on a 50 year backlog of players. Now I think it's too many, but probably not something that needs changing.

So I think adding any is unnecessary

Upping it to 20 is just ridiculous. This year it would mean that you could vote for about 60% of the ballot and it's a large ballot.

There's probably never been a ballot where 60% of the candidates were worthy, so why open it up? So BBWs can embarrass themselves by voting for the likes of Brian Giles or Jermaine Dye?

Having 10 made sense when this all started because they were voting on a 50 year backlog of players. Now I think it's too many, but probably not something that needs changing.

Upping it to 20 is just ridiculous. This year it would mean that you could vote for about 60% of the ballot and it's a large ballot.

There's probably never been a ballot where 60% of the candidates were worthy, so why open it up? So BBWs can embarrass themselves by voting for the likes of Brian Giles or Jermaine Dye?
Except for an outlier last year, the number of votes per ballot has been trending down.

Funny you should mention him. I watched the MLB Network HOF roundtable discussion last night... Brian Kenny was pimping Brian Giles at any opportunity.

I don't see how you reconcile that and then leave Bonds/Clemens off your ballot. He was clearly using just the same.

Funny you should mention him. I watched the MLB Network HOF roundtable discussion last night... Brian Kenny was pimping Brian Giles at any opportunity.

I don't see how you reconcile that and then leave Bonds/Clemens off your ballot. He was clearly using just the same.
Giles has a career line of .291/.400/.502.

Larry Walker has a career line of .313/.400/.565.

Larry Walker has a career line of .313/.400/.565.
Lloyd Waner had a career line of .316/.353/.393 (99 OPS+)

There is no sense in any limit on the ballot. If a voter believes a player worthy of induction, they should be able to vote for that player. There is no difference between a guy that gets in on the first ballot or a guy that gets in on the last - they're both HOFers.

As for 10 being sufficient, this year you can make a legit case for 17-20 players.

I'm surprised how easily Smoltz is sailing in so far (87% on the gizmo). I agree with him as a HOFer, but I didn't think he was that much better than Mussina (38%) and Schilling (54%).

I'm surprised how easily Smoltz is sailing in so far (87% on the gizmo). I agree with him as a HOFer, but I didn't think he was that much better than Mussina (38%) and Schilling (54%).
He's not. In fact, I think Mussina and Schilling are both superior.

its because he became a dominant closer too and his playoff excellence which mussina doesnt have

its because he became a dominant closer too and his playoff excellence which mussina doesnt have
Its a great narrative, so obviously the writers eat that #### up, but he's also sailing above the numbers of Schilling who's postseason record is pretty amazing. As for the closer thing, he went to the pen because he couldn't stay healthy. Even though it will be to the voters, it shouldn't be a positive.

Its a great narrative, so obviously the writers eat that #### up, but he's also sailing above the numbers of Schilling who's postseason record is pretty amazing. As for the closer thing, he went to the pen because he couldn't stay healthy. Even though it will be to the voters, it shouldn't be a positive.
All three are deserving as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed, but there's no way all 3 would make my top 10.

They would be on mine if I gave up on Clemens and Bonds

The best hitter and pitcher of my lifetime. I can't see leaving them off.

The best hitter and pitcher of my lifetime. I can't see leaving them off.
Of course you think PED use had no impact on their performance

Buster and Kurkjian say it's going to Unit, Pedro, Biggio, maybe Smoltz in the induction class. Both said there are 15-17 HOF-worthy candidates on the ballot and regretted having to leave a few names off their ballots.

Johnson, Pedro, Smoltz, Biggio.

Piazza barely misses. Bagwell and Raines only others over 50%.
What was Piazza's vote total? I know Biggs missed by only 2 last year.
28 votes short out of 549 ballots cast. Buster Olney is losing it on ESPN. Said he abstained because he felt there were 17 guys who deserved a yes vote and he was only allowed 10. Said it wouldn't have been fair to those guys he had to leave off but deserve to be in the Hall. Glad this year's class is relatively large so his list next year is whittled down to 13.

Last edited by a moderator:

28 votes short out of 549 ballots cast. Buster Olney is losing it on ESPN. Said he abstained because he felt there were 17 guys who deserved a yes vote and he was only allowed 10. Said it wouldn't have been fair to those guys he had to leave off but deserve to be in the Hall. Glad this year's class is relatively large so his list next year is whittled down to 13.
You sure showed them, Buster

28 votes short out of 549 ballots cast.Buster Olney is losing it on ESPN. Said he abstained because he felt there were 17 guys who deserved a yes vote and he was only allowed 10. Said it wouldn't have been fair to those guys he had to leave off but deserve to be in the Hall. Glad this year's class is relatively large so his list next year is whittled down to 13.
If he really did this, guy's an uber ##### and lost a TON of respect from me. Sure, penalize everyone to prove your stupid point.

28 votes short out of 549 ballots cast.Buster Olney is losing it on ESPN. Said he abstained because he felt there were 17 guys who deserved a yes vote and he was only allowed 10. Said it wouldn't have been fair to those guys he had to leave off but deserve to be in the Hall. Glad this year's class is relatively large so his list next year is whittled down to 13.
If he really did this, guy's an uber ##### and lost a TON of respect from me. Sure, penalize everyone to prove your stupid point.
He didn't turn in a blank ballot, he just abstained. Subtract one from the denominator.

I'm a casual fan, but was pretty seriously following baseball back in the late '90s. I'm also a Red Sox fan.

Love seeing Pedro in the HoF.

Congrats to him, Smoltz, and Johnson. Crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread