What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thanksgiving morning cocktails (1 Viewer)

mofo313

Footballguy
I'm trying to figure out what to soak up the Lions game Thursday morning with. I was leaning towards beer but I don't want to get full with a day of gorging ahead of me. Whiskey crossed my mind but, it's 9am. Bloodies could be an option as well. I know there's a few morning boozers out there, help me out!!

:football:

+

:banned:

=

:D

I remember spending Thanksgiving in Portland, OR. Went out wed. and bought some local brew, absolut, bloody mary fixins, smoked salmon, bagels, tomatoes, purple onions, cream cheese. Had a feast at 9:30am. Then went to my wife's uncles house and drank home brew for 5 hours. I was pickled by dinner.

Hot Buttered Rum

Ingredients:

2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature

1/4 cup honey

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

Pinch salt

3/4 cup spiced rum

2 cups boiling water

4 sticks cinnamon, for garnish

Directions:

Using an electric mixer, beat the brown sugar, butter, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt in a medium bowl until blended and smooth.

Transfer the mixture to a 4-cup (or larger) measuring cup.

Add the rum and then 2 cups of boiling water.

Stir until the butter mixture dissolves.

Divide the buttered rum among 4 mugs.

Garnish with the cinnamon sticks and serve.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hot Butter RumIngredients:2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature 1/4 cup honey 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves Pinch salt 3/4 cup spiced rum 2 cups boiling water 4 sticks cinnamon, for garnishDirections:Using an electric mixer, beat the brown sugar, butter, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt in a medium bowl until blended and smooth. Transfer the mixture to a 4-cup (or larger) measuring cup. Add the rum and then 2 cups of boiling water. Stir until the butter mixture dissolves. Divide the buttered rum among 4 mugs. Garnish with the cinnamon sticks and serve.
Thats great stuff but way too rich to get smashed on

Apple cider w/rum
Is this any good? 'Cuz I loves me some apple cider.ETA : Spiced rum, or regular?
Well my wife uses these mulling spices and warms up the rum in a pot on the stove. Then drop some rum in there and its real nice.
It must be... it's all rum.
:confused: Must be thinking about rumYou warm up the cider on the stove with the spices, then drop the rum in and BOOM

mimosas.............champagne and OJ....doesn't get much better
Strange... I've never heard of this drink until I watched CSI Miami last night...now here it's mentioned again today.
plus the wimens love em....even if you don't do it on Thanksgiving....next time you wake up on a weekend morning with your s/o......pop a bottle and throw a few down.......you may find yourself back in bed very shortly.......champagne in the morning is :confused: ....even if/especially if you're hungover

Hot Butter RumIngredients:2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature 1/4 cup honey 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves Pinch salt 3/4 cup spiced rum 2 cups boiling water 4 sticks cinnamon, for garnishDirections:Using an electric mixer, beat the brown sugar, butter, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt in a medium bowl until blended and smooth. Transfer the mixture to a 4-cup (or larger) measuring cup. Add the rum and then 2 cups of boiling water. Stir until the butter mixture dissolves. Divide the buttered rum among 4 mugs. Garnish with the cinnamon sticks and serve.
I still have half a batch (sans rum) in my mom's freezer from last Xmas. Think it's still OK to use?

I was also thinking about Irish Coffee, which I'll probably start with. I'm not a huge rum fan so it's starting to look like Irish Coffees>Bloody Mary(s). Really trying to focus on drinks that won't get me too full. The coffee usually takes care of that but a man can only drink so much til the twitchin starts.

I still have half a batch (sans rum) in my mom's freezer from last Xmas. Think it's still OK to use?
Thats alot of melted, then frozen, butter

Yes it is. Wondering what would happen if I threw it in a crock pot with a fifth of rum and put it on low for about 4-6 hours.

Strange... I've never heard of this drink until I watched CSI Miami last night...now here it's mentioned again today.
plus the wimens love em....even if you don't do it on Thanksgiving....next time you wake up on a weekend morning with your s/o......pop a bottle and throw a few down.......you may find yourself back in bed very shortly.......champagne in the morning is :confused: ....even if/especially if you're hungover
:thumbup: Bought five bottles of bubbly yesterday, and went to Whole Foods on my way to work this morning to get several types of juice to make different kinds of mimosas. Looking at my pomegranate, apple, pineapple, and orange/mango juice, the lady at the checkout said, "Oh, are you making punch?" :bag:

plus the wimens love em....even if you don't do it on Thanksgiving....next time you wake up on a weekend morning with your s/o......pop a bottle and throw a few down.......you may find yourself back in bed very shortly.......champagne in the morning is :fishy: ....even if/especially if you're hungover
:thumbup: Bought five bottles of bubbly yesterday, and went to Whole Foods on my way to work this morning to get several types of juice to make different kinds of mimosas. Looking at my pomegranate, apple, pineapple, and orange/mango juice, the lady at the checkout said, "Oh, are you making punch?" :bag:
may have my first internet crush........ :wub:

plus the wimens love em....even if you don't do it on Thanksgiving....next time you wake up on a weekend morning with your s/o......pop a bottle and throw a few down.......you may find yourself back in bed very shortly.......champagne in the morning is :thumbup: ....even if/especially if you're hungover
:wub: Bought five bottles of bubbly yesterday, and went to Whole Foods on my way to work this morning to get several types of juice to make different kinds of mimosas. Looking at my pomegranate, apple, pineapple, and orange/mango juice, the lady at the checkout said, "Oh, are you making punch?" :bag:
:fishy: We've made a tradition of mimosas on Thanksgiving morning.

plus the wimens love em....even if you don't do it on Thanksgiving....next time you wake up on a weekend morning with your s/o......pop a bottle and throw a few down.......you may find yourself back in bed very shortly.......champagne in the morning is :) ....even if/especially if you're hungover
I highly recommend that you get a bottle of Chambord for (what I call) Kir Royales.

White Russians are good for breakfast.
that could be the winner right there
:shrug: And you get your calcium. If you're looking for some potent, but sweet, breakfast shots try this: One part SoCo, one part amaretto, one part Absolut, two parts cranberry juice. If you have the mix right it should look, and taste, like red Kool-Aid. But go easy. These are creepers. They taste really good so you think they aren't very potent and you keep drinking them. An hour or so later ... :shrug: ...and you're in perfect shape to watch a Lions game. Have a good holiday. Go Lions!!

Yes it is. Wondering what would happen if I threw it in a crock pot with a fifth of rum and put it on low for about 4-6 hours.
Go for it and report back.

A decent bottle of Champagne.. Not heavy, very tasty, will get you buzzed quick, and then you will be ready to feast.. However, REAL Champagne should never be mixed, so use the cheap stuff for Mamosas..

I like to keep it simple on Thanksgiving.

Fill a pint glass with ice, fill half the glass with vodka, fill to the top with OJ.

The basic Screwdriver is underated and steal of the morning drink draft.

:thumbdown:

:whitecorner:

Imma get ####ED UP on Turkey Day. Thanks for the thoughts here fellas (and wimmens)! :yawn:

And seeing as I get drunk about 2 times a year, it's about that time of year, me thinks!

I like to keep it simple on Thanksgiving.Fill a pint glass with ice, fill half the glass with vodka, fill to the top with OJ.The basic Screwdriver is underated and steal of the morning drink draft. :thumbup:
Cactus I start all my other football sundays with them, it's sort of my old standby. Kiper says they have fluid hips and a huge upside.

Evilgrin 72 said:
RBM said:
Apple cider w/rum
Is this any good? 'Cuz I loves me some apple cider.ETA : Spiced rum, or regular?
I'm interested in this as well. Sounds good for about one drink, but I would wonder if it would get to sweet putting away 2 or 10 of these.

munga30 said:
krista4 said:
Stinkin Ref said:
playin4beer said:
Stinkin Ref said:
plus the wimens love em....even if you don't do it on Thanksgiving....next time you wake up on a weekend morning with your s/o......pop a bottle and throw a few down.......you may find yourself back in bed very shortly.......champagne in the morning is :lmao: ....even if/especially if you're hungover
:cry: Bought five bottles of bubbly yesterday, and went to Whole Foods on my way to work this morning to get several types of juice to make different kinds of mimosas. Looking at my pomegranate, apple, pineapple, and orange/mango juice, the lady at the checkout said, "Oh, are you making punch?" :bag:
I highly recommend that you get a bottle of Chambord for (what I call) Kir Royales.
Excellent--nice recommendation! :( Stinkin Ref: :) But you'll get past it--they all do... :mellow:

tomarken: I am currently available for adoption. :thumbup:

munga30 said:
krista4 said:
Stinkin Ref said:
playin4beer said:
Stinkin Ref said:
plus the wimens love em....even if you don't do it on Thanksgiving....next time you wake up on a weekend morning with your s/o......pop a bottle and throw a few down.......you may find yourself back in bed very shortly.......champagne in the morning is :popcorn: ....even if/especially if you're hungover
Excellent--nice recommendation! :thumbup: Stinkin Ref: :) But you'll get past it--they all do... :goodposting:

tomarken: I am currently available for adoption. :thumbup:
I second the Chambord recommendation.. :thumbup:

a nice spicy bloody mary is the only answer here....and go all out with olives, celery, banana peppers, horseradish etc....

fasteddie_21 said:
:whitecorner: Imma get ####ED UP on Turkey Day. Thanks for the thoughts here fellas (and wimmens)! :popcorn:And seeing as I get drunk about 2 times a year, it's about that time of year, me thinks!
2 times a year? ####, I think I might get drunk twice on Thanksgiving day - once in the morning, and then again after the obligatory post-turkey nap...

cactus said:
I like to keep it simple on Thanksgiving.Fill a pint glass with ice, fill half the glass with vodka, fill to the top with OJ.The basic Screwdriver is underated and steal of the morning drink draft. :rolleyes:
cactus is the man

fasteddie_21 said:
:whitecorner: Imma get ####ED UP on Turkey Day. Thanks for the thoughts here fellas (and wimmens)! :bowtie:And seeing as I get drunk about 2 times a year, it's about that time of year, me thinks!
2 times a year? ####, I think I might get drunk twice on Thanksgiving day - once in the morning, and then again after the obligatory post-turkey nap...
Yeah, not much of a drinker. I enjoy a bottle of wine, don't get me wrong, but I grew up in an alcoholic family, so I think that kinda turned me off from getting blitzed tbh.

:whitecorner: Imma get ####ED UP on Turkey Day. Thanks for the thoughts here fellas (and wimmens)! :unsure:And seeing as I get drunk about 2 times a year, it's about that time of year, me thinks!
:coffee: I'm on that plan, might even go for the hat trick: 1) for the Lions game then eat crab and sober up 2) ramp up to the turkey with some whiskey 3) post turkey coma with irish coffee, wine and whatever's left

Users who are viewing this thread