What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hard ciders (1 Viewer)

Dr. Awesome

Footballguy
I've recently discovered there are some pretty good ciders out there. I've tried the Hornsby crap and similar stuff and it's not bad but there's really nothing great about. No bite to it, mediocre alcohol content.

Ace Joker Cider is something I tried a couple weeks back and I love the stuff. They make a few other solid options as well. It's got a slight champagne aftertaste to it and it's got an 8% alcohol content. Any other cider fans out there who can make a few recommendations?

I've recently discovered there are some pretty good ciders out there. I've tried the Hornsby crap and similar stuff and it's not bad but there's really nothing great about. No bite to it, mediocre alcohol content.

Ace Joker Cider is something I tried a couple weeks back and I love the stuff. They make a few other solid options as well. It's got a slight champagne aftertaste to it and it's got an 8% alcohol content. Any other cider fans out there who can make a few recommendations?
Strongbow and

/THREAD

Strongbow is good stuff but I prefer something with a bit more of a "bite" to it. It's definitely one of the better, lighter, standard flavored ciders.

I've heard great things about K cider but can't find it in any shops and haven't been THAT inclined to order it. Anyone ever try it?

The only ciders I've had, other than Strongbow, are the Woodchuck ciders. I don't have a problem with them, but I don't really buy them. They seem to be pretty easy to find around here, not sure about where you are.

Steve Tasker said:
The only ciders I've had, other than Strongbow, are the Woodchuck ciders. I don't have a problem with them, but I don't really buy them. They seem to be pretty easy to find around here, not sure about where you are.
It's nothing terrible. Just nothing that wows me. I can pop back a few of 'em on a hot day with ease.

Are you guys in prison? I fail to see how anyone could prefer a cider or a mead over beer.

Are you guys in prison? I fail to see how anyone could prefer a cider or a mead over beer.
I get what you're saying. Change of pace, let's say.

The one I listed is light and sparkly like champagne. The others I don't like so much, other than Strongbow. The English ciders are dry and generally okay.

McMenamins hard cider. (google it) :lmao:
Doesn't look like any stores around here carry it. I may order one or two...what's it taste like?
Must of not been that good, because I don't remember this post, and I haven't had one since.

I did drink quite a few ciders this summer in a beer garden, because the temp was over 100 and beer wasn't going down very well. Check out below, it was like drinking a beer and cider...pretty delicious.

http://portlandcider.com/

Hop’rageousTake a balanced dry cider, infuse it with the fragrant Citra variety of hops, then double down on the citrus notes of those hops by throwing in some bitter orange peel, and the result is an outrageously refreshing hopped cider that can only be described as Hop’rageous! With equal notes of bitter hop and tangy citrus, this unexpected combination pairs well with anything coming off the grill. Available on draft now and in bottles beginning this summer.

My late FiL used to make some batches of apple cider every fall. He alway kept one or two batches back for Christmas, and would distill it to make Applejack. That stuff could knock you for a loop if you weren't careful.

I do so prefer a dry cider instead of that cotton candy in a bottle/can that appeals to the American drinker. Not that long ago, it was hard to find a dry cider outside of Farnum Hill or West County producers. Now it appears that the person enjoying the ciders are really taking a liking to dry ciders, which similar to beer, can have an ABV anywhere from 5-8%. So now we get some serious producers making some damn good dry ciders. And like wine, the apple that one makes a really good cider with is very different from that apple that you go picking on a fall day. Just like the Vitis Vinifera grape used to make really good wine is different from a grape you buy in the store to munch on at lunch time

The drink of choice that this country started itself on was ciders from apples, pears, and other fruits we deem as pomaceous. So, your early American really enjoyed the fermented apple beverage and if you can find a really good dry one, you can see what the early Americans enjoyed. Beer? That really made its mark a little later on.

Farnum Hill still makes a wonderful dry cider called Dooryard but if you really want to taste a good one, Serious Cider out of Foggy Ridge in Virginia. These come in a 750ml bottle just like a wine bottle.

Taste a dry cider and really see what a good cider tastes like

Last edited by a moderator:
I do so prefer a dry cider instead of that cotton candy in a bottle/can that appeals to the American drinker. Not that long ago, it was hard to find a dry cider outside of Farnum Hill or West County producers. Now it appears that the person enjoying the ciders are really taking a liking to dry ciders, which similar to beer, can have an ABV anywhere from 5-8%. So now we get some serious producers making some damn good dry ciders. And like wine, the apple that one makes a really good cider with is very different from that apple that you go picking on a fall day. Just like the Vitis Vinifera grape used to make really good wine is different from a grape you buy in the store to munch on at lunch time

The drink of choice that this country started itself on was ciders from apples, pears, and other fruits we deem as pomaceous. So, your early American really enjoyed the fermented apple beverage and if you can find a really good dry one, you can see what the early Americans enjoyed. Beer? That really made its mark a little later on.

Farnum Hill still makes a wonderful dry cider called Dooryard but if you really want to taste a good one, Serious Cider out of Foggy Ridge in Virginia. These come in a 750ml bottle just like a wine bottle.

Another thing to blame the Germans for:

It may seem silly to cast the United States as a cider newbie. If there was a national beverage in colonial America and through the first century of independence, it no doubt was cider, the fermented juice of apples as well as pears and other pomaceous fruits. But cider declined in popularity in the late 19th century, as waves of German immigrants brought a taste for beer, which could more easily cater to a nation that was industrializing and beginning its transformation from rural to urban.
Top 15 hard ciders

Sam Smith was #1, didn't even know they made cider.

Lot of love for Woodchuck on there.

My late FiL used to make some batches of apple cider every fall. He alway kept one or two batches back for Christmas, and would distill it to make Applejack. That stuff could knock you for a loop if you weren't careful.
There are stories of GIs coming ashore in Normandy and heading out into the hedgerows coming on stocks of calvados that had been made by the local farmers. They thought it was jus tlike the cider they'd had back home and so drank it. A week later they sobered up and made it back to their units...

McMenamins hard cider. (google it) :lmao:
Doesn't look like any stores around here carry it. I may order one or two...what's it taste like?
Must of not been that good, because I don't remember this post, and I haven't had one since.

I did drink quite a few ciders this summer in a beer garden, because the temp was over 100 and beer wasn't going down very well. Check out below, it was like drinking a beer and cider...pretty delicious.

http://portlandcider.com/

Hop’rageousTake a balanced dry cider, infuse it with the fragrant Citra variety of hops, then double down on the citrus notes of those hops by throwing in some bitter orange peel, and the result is an outrageously refreshing hopped cider that can only be described as Hop’rageous! With equal notes of bitter hop and tangy citrus, this unexpected combination pairs well with anything coming off the grill. Available on draft now and in bottles beginning this summer.
I was just up in the Portland area for Thanksgiving and tried their "Kinda Dry", tasty stuff. I grabbed a couple of other Oregon ciders that I haven't seen down here in the Bay Area, looking forward to trying them.

I was just in Astoria, OR and it appears that cider is approaching craft beer status out there, largely because it seems like 60% of the people are gluten free. Without turning this into a gluten debate, I have to say it's a nice option to microbrews, especially when the wife is in tow.

I was just in Astoria, OR and it appears that cider is approaching craft beer status out there, largely because it seems like 60% of the people are gluten free. Without turning this into a gluten debate, I have to say it's a nice option to microbrews, especially when the wife is in tow.
This is partly why I started drinking ciders - beer (and other wheat products) just make me feel crappy sometimes. Now I'm not willing to give up my IPAs completely, but it's nice to have an option that doesn't leave me feeling like I drank razor blades.

Intrigued with Crispin
Crispin is good, and readily available here so I usually have their original in the fridge. The Saint is even better as it has a bit more complexity with some maple flavor without being too sweet.

I've seen Sonoma Cider at Costco, their The Anvil aged in bourbon barrels is tasty.

A couple of the Oregon ciders I brought home were from 2 Towns Ciderhouse. I'm looking forward to trying The Bad Apple, which clocks in at 10.5% ABV.

the only people I know who drink these are women.
You're thinking of the Hornsby type ciders. That's almost like comparing Coors lite to Guiness. There's some quality options out there.
Guinness is horrible.
No it isn't. Now go enjoy your Coors Light
Coors Light is horrible.
Correct. Now go enjoy your Ballast Point Sea Monster Stout

You're thinking of the Hornsby type ciders. That's almost like comparing Coors lite to Guiness. There's some quality options out there.
Guinness is horrible.
Coors Light is horrible.
Now we're talking. Happy winter!

Guinness is horrible.
Coors Light is horrible.
Well then, I'm gonna open one up right now!And then a Big Eddy

Guinness is horrible.
Coors Light is horrible.
Well then, I'm gonna open one up right now!And then a Big Eddy
Jealous. Now back to your (universal you) regularly scheduled fruity beer conversation...

Another thing to blame the Germans for:

It may seem silly to cast the United States as a cider newbie. If there was a national beverage in colonial America and through the first century of independence, it no doubt was cider, the fermented juice of apples as well as pears and other pomaceous fruits. But cider declined in popularity in the late 19th century, as waves of German immigrants brought a taste for beer, which could more easily cater to a nation that was industrializing and beginning its transformation from rural to urban.
Top 15 hard ciders

Sam Smith was #1, didn't even know they made cider.

Lot of love for Woodchuck on there.
This list is terrible

Magners is to put it politely "not very tasty".
Did a search and this came up. Just had one of these. One of the worst beverages I've ever tasted. :X
This is interesting. The wife and I actually really like it. In general, sweet + alcohol isn't a combination I like. Most hard ciders are just too sweet for me. When we were in Ireland last year, they had a cider called Bulmers. If you didn't want a Guinness, it was probably the 2nd most common draft along with maybe Harp. We drank a ton of it and loved it. Looked for it state-side and found out it's called Magners here, so we got some. Maybe it's the nostalgia of our awesome trip, but it's the only cider beer I like.

I just don't get the appeal to sweet cider but then again a lot of people love their Rieslings really sweet, cocktails with Coke, Diet, or Sprite, UV whatever color, and their shots made sweet.

A dry cider is very good and so much better than the apple concoctions called cider that most people like

Check out Rekoderlig. They make three I am aware of. Pear, Berry and Strawberry Lime. Like them all aside from the Strawberry.

Users who are viewing this thread