What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Skylanders (1 Viewer)

If you answered yes, answer all that apply

• Total voters

St. Louis Bob

Footballguy
Looking at this as a possible investing opportunity in ATVI. My boys learned of them from the boys next door and now the kids of two other families on the street have them. It seems to be all they have talked about for a good 6 months now.

Skylanders vidya game for Wii

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at this as a possible investing opportunity in ATVI. My boys learned of them from the boys next door and now the kids of two other families on the street have them. It seems to be all they have talked about for a good 6 months now.

We bought our kids this for Christmas last year. Played with them a lot until they beat the game, which took about 3months. Now they don't play with them a ton, but I have a feeling that when they release the giant Skylanders this fall with the add ons they will want to play with it more.

I have 4 boys ranging from 5 to 12.

I thought the concept was great, and bought the system for them for Christmas. At the time they had never even heard of it.

Instant HIT! Played it anytime that they had "game time". Everytime they had spending money... they would buy another character.

UNTIL the shortages started. They had me calling Gamestop everyday. Waiting on shipmants, trolling Skylander message boards, etc. So they slowly lost interest. They definetly still play it, but not with the same fever pitch.

They need to come out with a new game soon or they might lose my boys for good. It is marketed towards the younger crowd, and they have VERY short attention spans.

We bought our kids this for Christmas last year. Played with them a lot until they beat the game, which took about 3months. Now they don't play with them a ton, but I have a feeling that when they release the giant Skylanders this fall with the add ons they will want to play with it more.
It looks like they just released a new game.
Ignitor

Wham Shell

Ghost Roaster

:bag:
:lmao:

big fan or trigger happy and slam bam

it really is a pretty cool game

best advice is make sure the kids have one of each of the 4 "elements"

they really need that

HOW DO I ANSWER #2 if I answered No

Fix poll please

big fan or trigger happy and slam bamit really is a pretty cool gamebest advice is make sure the kids have one of each of the 4 "elements"they really need that
As TJ wrote above, my kids spend all of their money on new characters. In my family, it is very normal to hand kids money at family events for no other reason than they are standing their. Pretty sure they have every character but I've never played it with them.

big fan or trigger happy and slam bamit really is a pretty cool gamebest advice is make sure the kids have one of each of the 4 "elements"they really need that
As TJ wrote above, my kids spend all of their money on new characters. In my family, it is very normal to hand kids money at family events for no other reason than they are standing their. Pretty sure they have every character but I've never played it with them.
ahhh okit is pretty coolmy kid just got into iti hope giants comes out and he can scam cheap figures no one wants

It's a great concept. Sell them a video game and then keep milking them for $10 on new characters. My 7 year old loves them and usually gets a new Skylander every 3 or 4 weeks. The game is ridiculously easy for him and he has them maxxed out at level 10 within a day or so. I think he enoys collecting the characters more than actually playing the game now. He's got two cases overloaded and has been asking for a third. Overall it's a waste of cash, but he enjoys it and aren't all toys basically a waste of cash?

When we play the player versus player matches I would use Trigger Happy and pwn him constantly. Unfortunately that ended when he got Drobot, now I'm trying to figure out how to beat him.

It's a great concept. Sell them a video game and then keep milking them for $10 on new characters. My 7 year old loves them and usually gets a new Skylander every 3 or 4 weeks. The game is ridiculously easy for him and he has them maxxed out at level 10 within a day or so. I think he enoys collecting the characters more than actually playing the game now. He's got two cases overloaded and has been asking for a third. Overall it's a waste of cash, but he enjoys it and aren't all toys basically a waste of cash?

When we play the player versus player matches I would use Trigger Happy and pwn him constantly. Unfortunately that ended when he got Drobot, now I'm trying to figure out how to beat him.

trigger happy cracks me up

Just got into this stuff. Toys R Us had a sale this weekend which was Buy 1, Get 1 50% off. Grandma is getting him the Giants starter kit for $50 on Black Friday. Picked up 3 3-packs, plus 3 more Giants, and an additional character and got a Castle Case free. Spent 110 for 3 Giants, 9 characters, and 1 dragon cannon. God, I'm a sucker for this ####, but my kid is gonna flip. I might hold on to the characters and give him delayed gifts.

trigger happy cracks me up
That's what my youngest dressed up for Halloween as.
Never heard of them but I think I'm interested ---- is this wii?
Yes, wii.
Just got into this stuff. Toys R Us had a sale this weekend which was Buy 1, Get 1 50% off. Grandma is getting him the Giants starter kit for $50 on Black Friday. Picked up 3 3-packs, plus 3 more Giants, and an additional character and got a Castle Case free. Spent 110 for 3 Giants, 9 characters, and 1 dragon cannon. God, I'm a sucker for this ####, but my kid is gonna flip. I might hold on to the characters and give him delayed gifts.
Jesus :lmao: Bought them Giants for Christmas. I've been making them buy the others themselves making money working around the house.

my son (now 6) got it as an afterthought gift last christmas from my MIL.

We have all the characters from the first game, and have bought more since the Giants release.

My son loves it!

Starter kit with game, portal, 2 regular figures and 1 giant figure is on sale for $38 on Amazon this coming Thursday night. NO difference systmes. The genius thing is that the characters work on all systems. Meaning your kid can level up his Trigger Happy character on the Wii and then take it to his friend's house and play his leveled up character on their XBox.

My youngest son loves it. I play sometimes (like a previous poster, Trigger Happy and Slam Bam are my favorites) but the boy :own3d: 's me when we play head to head.

When the game first launched I read an interesting article about how the game almost wasn't made. The first problem is the higher ups didn't think Spyro wasn't a big enough name to market the game alone so they had to scramble to figure out a 'hook' to get the game distributed. Than, when they figured out the whole 'portal' gimmic, the 'man' decided that no parent would buy a game that required them to buy all these figs to play it, but he was begrudgingly convinced to let it go as-is.

I'm probably not explaining it too well, but I can't remember where I saw the article.

When the game first launched I read an interesting article about how the game almost wasn't made. The first problem is the higher ups didn't think Spyro wasn't a big enough name to market the game alone so they had to scramble to figure out a 'hook' to get the game distributed. Than, when they figured out the whole 'portal' gimmic, the 'man' decided that no parent would buy a game that required them to buy all these figs to play it, but he was begrudgingly convinced to let it go as-is.I'm probably not explaining it too well, but I can't remember where I saw the article.
:lmao: :lmao:And love the sig too. :thumbup:

Starter kit with game, portal, 2 regular figures and 1 giant figure is on sale for $38 on Amazon this coming Thursday night. NO difference systmes. The genius thing is that the characters work on all systems. Meaning your kid can level up his Trigger Happy character on the Wii and then take it to his friend's house and play his leveled up character on their XBox.
Thanks for the heads up! I was just about to spend $21 more on it.

:goodposting: My 7yr old has been talking this up and we were thinking about it for xmas this year.

When the game first launched I read an interesting article about how the game almost wasn't made. The first problem is the higher ups didn't think Spyro wasn't a big enough name to market the game alone so they had to scramble to figure out a 'hook' to get the game distributed. Than, when they figured out the whole 'portal' gimmic, the 'man' decided that no parent would buy a game that required them to buy all these figs to play it, but he was begrudgingly convinced to let it go as-is.

I'm probably not explaining it too well, but I can't remember where I saw the article.
Man they struck gold, from Wiki:
Activision announced that as of June 3, 2012, the game had been the top selling console and handheld video game worldwide for 2012. As of March 31, 2012, Activision has sold over 30 million Skylanders toys, and sales are expected to exceed $500 million by the end of the year.
I think my son has about 40 characters, I had no idea there were so many.
There are 102 standard characters and 8 different elements under which characters are classified. The 8 elements are Magic, Water, Tech, Fire, Earth, Life, Air and Undead. In addition to the standard character figures that are available for purchase there are also limited edition Gold, Silver, Crystal, and Glow-in the Dark versions of certain characters.
My son asked for the new Giant series and I said no way. On the bright side that should make the missing 60 orginal Skylanders easier to find now. :wall:

Just picked up the starter kit from Walmart for $38. It was supposed to be an 8 PM doorbuster but it is already coming up at the lower price.

:goodposting: My 7yr old has been talking this up and we were thinking about it for xmas this year.
Price went UP to 70 bucks :kicksrock:

Upcoming Deal Skylanders Giants Deal starts at

5:06 PM PST

It was a Lightening Deal, and I got in 3 minutes after it started. Got put on a waitlist :rant:

It was a Lightening Deal, and I got in 3 minutes after it started. Got put on a waitlist :rant:
I got it while the doors for Toys R Us opened up and the crowd poured in. I literally was typing on my phone while loading up my cart with toys. Was able to get it. :banned:

So, is this the right thing for 5-6 year olds? boy or girl?

Whats a good starter pac thing? links

The starter kits are down to $39 at walmart.com if anyone is still looking.
Good price considering these were $75 last week. Just figured out that certain stores have exclusive characters as well. Amazon, ToysRus, and Target have them but you can rarely find them. Might be worth a stash.

License to print money. Great game for kids. It has zero appeal for adults, though.
I've never played it myself. Of course the last system I played was the Sega.
"Skylanders that are more expensive work better in this zone."
lol I didn't know this.
So, is this the right thing for 5-6 year olds? boy or girl?Whats a good starter pac thing? links
My boys are 5 & 8 and love it.

I bought these for my nephews last year and am thinking that I should buy some this year for my kids. Your right though, SLB, this seems to be such a money grab its not even funny. They could literally do this for every game that has any characters. Can you imagine Call of Duty with exclusive only figures and weapons??

:moneybag:

It looks like I'm going to be joining the club here, as my son just started playing this game with a buddy from school and it is now #1 on his birthday list (Dec 4).

Question for those in the know - I'm looking at the "Skylanders Giants: (Glow In The Dark) Starter Kit (Walmart Exclusive) (Wii)" - is that all I need to buy to get him up and running with this game at home? Will that allow two players to play the game or do I need to buy more to get started? Should I get the "Skylanders Spyro's Adventure Starter Pack (Wii)" instead?

tia

No buy the Giants as the regular ones fit the Giants portal. The Giants starter kits are only $39.00 at walmart right now.

Users who are viewing this thread