What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Astros: SI says 2017 is the year (1 Viewer)

Do the Astros even want to start to try to win yet?
They can't openly tank another year like they have the last two. The attendance is terrible and the television deal they struck is largely blowing up in their faces since a good portion of Houston can't see them or the rockets play.

under the strange rumor category ...choo and the Astros linked

According to Passan, the Yankees offered Choo seven years and $140 million — after they’d signed Jacoby Ellsbury for seven years and $153 million — and Choo said no. Passan hears that “multiple teams are believed to have active offers out on Choo,” perhaps including Houston. One GM tells Bob Nightengale (USA Today) that he bets the Astros end up with the 31-year-old.

from the Newberg report

A grievance filed for a rookie with zero service time doesn't stand a chance. A few years ago, the Brewers demoted JJ Hardy in early August two days before he would have accumulated an additional year of service time. By keeping Hardy in AAA until the rosters expanded, the Brewers were able to delay his free agency by an extra year. Hardy wasn't having a good year but he was an established major leaguer who had appeared in an All-Star game. The Twins pulled a similar trick with Glen Perkins. There was griping but the clubs won.

I was really hoping Japhet Amador would make the club. A 100 loss team with a 300 lb Mexican 1B is better than one without.

George springer up from AAA....actual fantasy baseball news

If my math is correct he did not stay down long enough to not have a delay in service time. Seems like a waste of 2 weeks for him not to be on the opening day roster now.

George springer up from AAA....actual fantasy baseball news

If my math is correct he did not stay down long enough to not have a delay in service time. Seems like a waste of 2 weeks for him not to be on the opening day roster now.
The two weeks was significant in terms of team control, although it won't delay his super two status if all goes well.

any thoughts on Keuchel. Pretty good SIERA last year and a great GB% (which i think influences SIERA quite a bit). Qualifies as RP and has starts this week @SEA and vs. OAK.
He is a player that does not excite me in anyway, but gets an acceptable amount of strikes outs and (seemingly) does not get totally shelled. probably usable in certain fantasy situations.

any thoughts on Keuchel. Pretty good SIERA last year and a great GB% (which i think influences SIERA quite a bit). Qualifies as RP and has starts this week @SEA and vs. OAK.
He is a player that does not excite me in anyway, but gets an acceptable amount of strikes outs and (seemingly) does not get totally shelled. probably usable in certain fantasy situations.
sadly, i did not have the balls to put him in this week, but here's a good write-up on him: http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/brad-miller-swinging-at-the-wrong-pitches/

sadly, i did not have the balls to put him in this week, but here's a good write-up on him: http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/brad-miller-swinging-at-the-wrong-pitches/
Decent starts this week. 2 QS.

I guess I was supposed get excited about the still worse record in the AL Astros winning a series from the injury destroyed Rangers.

Decent starts this week. 2 QS.
Even though the Rangers offense is offensive about now, that his pitching was legit.

All Dallas k all the time

Brian McTaggartVerified account
‏@brianmctaggart
While you were sleeping, Dallas Keuchel came within an out for a second consecutive shutout

Colin McHugh somehow killing it.

Dominguez has decent power.

If Singleton can come up and do something, this team has something to build on.

I don't think that they will lose 100.

edit: of course, having the greatest pitcher in MLB history goes without saying.

Last edited by a moderator:
Astro's also have the best looking uni's in baseball right now. Man, those puppies are sharp.

Of course, I guess everything looks better when you have an MVP candidate, 2 Cy Young candidates, and a proven closer.

The good news for the Astros is right-hander Mark Appel, the No. 1 overall pick in last year's First-Year Player Draft, was throwing with good velocity, averaging 95 mph, in his return to the rotation Saturday at Class A Advanced Lancaster. But giving up 10 runs on hit 10 hits, including three homers, in only 1 1/3 innings of work was certainly not what the Astros anticipated seeing from the 22-year-old. Appel walked a batter and struck out two as the JetHawks lost, 16-13, to Rancho Cucamonga.Appel's start was his first since spending about a month at extended Spring Training after he struggled to adapt to the tandem starter schedule at Lancaster earlier in the season. The Astros began the season using eight starters at each level of the Minor Leagues, though they recently went to a six-man rotation at Triple-A. Under the tandem system, each starter throws every fourth day and and is followed in that game by another starter.

"Clearly, not the result we wanted in his first outing back, but we're optimistic that he's going to put this behind him and go there and execute," Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow said. "There's things he needs to learn from this outing and he will. I get much more concerned when guys have trouble finding the strike zone. "For him, it's about getting better command inside the strike zone, getting the ball down and maybe coming in a little bit and doing some of the other things he needs to do to be more effective, especially there in that [hitter-friendly] environment [at The Hangar]. Things tend to be amplified there. What could be a fly ball in another environment ends up being a home run there."
:sadbanana:

Users who are viewing this thread