What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New HoF voting rule (1 Viewer)

I'm not a fan of the change. There aren't that many guys voted in their 11-15 years of eligibility but it at least keeps them in the conversation for a few weeks of the off-season. There's nothing wrong and almost everything right with people discussing the very goodness of guys like Mattingly, Trammell and Lee Smith.

The biggest problem with this is how crazy stacked the ballot is going to be in the next few years. Would have helped some of these guys to stay on for 15.

Just another thing to make me sick of the whole process.

I'm not a fan of the change. There aren't that many guys voted in their 11-15 years of eligibility but it at least keeps them in the conversation for a few weeks of the off-season. There's nothing wrong and almost everything right with people discussing the very goodness of guys like Mattingly, Trammell and Lee Smith.
This is why we have WIS, my friend.

Check and mate.

Wonder if this has to do with PEDs? And it's away to keep out the best players if this past generation. Since the old and complicit writers are holding grudges one more way to stick it to them.

All I know if baseball does not let in the best players of the 90's and 2000's then they will never get my money and I will not take my children to the games. Since there is no way to know who was and who wasn't. And the writers as well as MLB knew and took part of the era! When you have the managers getting in, but not the players you know something is wrong!

Yes, this is to get freaks like Bible Thumpin' Pet It, Rocket Man, Barroid, McGwire and Sammy Sooser off the ballot faster.

Wonder if this has to do with PEDs? And it's away to keep out the best players if this past generation. Since the old and complicit writers are holding grudges one more way to stick it to them.

All I know if baseball does not let in the best players of the 90's and 2000's then they will never get my money and I will not take my children to the games. Since there is no way to know who was and who wasn't. And the writers as well as MLB knew and took part of the era! When you have the managers getting in, but not the players you know something is wrong!
The Baseball Hall of Fame is not run by MLB. And the voting is done by the baseball writers. I wouldn't let the decisions of the Hall of Fame or writers decide whether to attend games.

http://baseballhall.org/news/press-releases/hall-fame-announces-changes-voting-process-recently-retired-players-effective

Retired players time on the ballot reduced from 15 years to 10. Don Mattingly, Alan Trammell and Lee Smith are granfathered.
Wow. Pretty major change. Probably the right move - if you are not worthy within a decade it's time to move on.
I would go a step further. One year of eligibility. My thinking with HOFers is that its either an yes or no answer. If you have to debate at all, the answer should be no.

The Baseball Hall of Fame is not run by MLB. And the voting is done by the baseball writers. I wouldn't let the decisions of the Hall of Fame or writers decide whether to attend games.
4 theories from Joe Posnanski: http://joeposnanski.com/joeblogs/four-theories-about-hall-of-fame-voting-changes/

Theory 1: Because they don’t want performance enhancing drug users in the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Well, this is the one that immediately jumps to the surface: The Hall of Fame leadership has been very coy about the steroid question, tending to hide behind the BBWAA’s staunch and literal reading of the character clause. I have suspected for a while that deep down Hall of Fame management agrees with this staunch and literal reading and does not want known steroid users in its plaque room.

Why not? A couple of reasons. First, much of the Hall of Fame’s mission revolves around a good relationship with its alumni. It’s a symbiotic relationship. Getting elected to the Hall greatly enhances a player’s value as a speaker, as an autograph signer, a fantasy camper and so on. At the same time, the Hall of Fame needs Hall of Famers to come to Cooperstown (and other places) for Hall of Fame events to help keep the Hall vibrant and alive. I think the directors know that the vast majority of living Hall of Famers do not want steroids users in their club.

Second is the embarrassment factor. The last time the Hall of Fame changed a voting rule was 1991, and that was to make sure that no player on baseball’s permanently ineligible list (see: Rose, Pete) should be included on the Hall of Fame ballot. Some in the BBWAA moaned but the Hall acted because even the slight chance of having Rose elected to the Hall was an embarrassment the Hall of Fame could not afford. The Hall of Fame has a close relationship with MLB, but it is a separate entity – the last thing they wanted to do was infuriate the commissioner and other baseball leaders by inducting Pete Rose just after baseball had spent so much effort banning him.

And even beyond that, I think the Hall of Fame saw a Hall of Fame ceremony surrounding Pete Rose as a potential public relations disaster. I suspect many at the Hall see a ceremony surrounding Roger Clemens or Barry Bonds the same way.

By reducing the limit from 15 to 10 years, they are basically eliminating any possibility of players like Mark McGwire (entering his 9th year on the ballot) being elected, and they are SIGNIFICANTLY reducing the chances for players like Bonds and Clemens (each entering their third years). Their only hope, slight as it was, came with time, a decade or more, and voters easing their views on PED use. It wasn’t likely to happen in the dozen or so years they had left. It almost certainly won’t happen now with five fewer years.

But to be honest, I don’t think the steroid users were a prime consideration here. The Hall leadership may not want Bonds or Clemens elected, but it never really looked like they would be anyway. And I don’t think the Hall of Fame directors are manipulative in this way. I’m sure they’re not weeping for Bonds or Clemens, but I don’t believe that was the impetus here.

http://baseballhall.org/news/press-releases/hall-fame-announces-changes-voting-process-recently-retired-players-effective

Retired players time on the ballot reduced from 15 years to 10. Don Mattingly, Alan Trammell and Lee Smith are granfathered.
Wow. Pretty major change. Probably the right move - if you are not worthy within a decade it's time to move on.
I would go a step further. One year of eligibility. My thinking with HOFers is that its either an yes or no answer. If you have to debate at all, the answer should be no.
You are either a HoFer or not. Its not like your stats can be improved after you retire, Mr 3000 aside. Why should they have to debate you for 10-15 years to see what changes?

I guess the time is so if noone is really worthy at least you can vote so marginal player in to have a hof class and ceremony.

By the way, I was at the HOF just this past Sunday and it was AWESOME! I highly recommend it for any fan.

I was there for the Bench/Yaz/Red inductions. The day was good with all the activity and garage sales (which featured plenty of baseball cards and memorabilia) , but listening to the speeches in the hot sun was a little much.

I have been to a PFHOF ceremony as well. That was a little better because it starts in the evening.

Users who are viewing this thread