What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Path of Exile (free to play & now on Xbone) (3 Viewers)

Buddy Ball 2K3

Footballguy
PoE hits open beta on 1/23/2012 http://www.pathofexile.com/

FREE TO PLAY with micro transactions that only effect game appearance/cosmetics and not actual game play

The incredible Skill Tree My link

Screen Shots My link

Path of Exile is an online Action RPG set in the dark fantasy world of Wraeclast. We're a small independent team of hardcore gamers based in New Zealand and have created Path of Exile as the game that we'd want to play ourselves. It is designed around a strong barter-based online item economy, deep character customisation, competitive PvP and ladder races. The game is completely free and will never be "pay to win". Path of Exile is currently in Closed Beta and will enter Open Beta on January 23, 2013.

Skill Gem System

Action RPGs have always been about two things: devastating skills and valuable items. Skills in Path of Exile are items - gems that grant abilities when socketed into equipment. A wide range of support gems allow the behaviour of skills to be modified. You can augment your Fireball to chain from enemy to enemy or split into multiple flaming projectiles. Up to five support gems can affect a skill at any time. Because gems level up independently and some are hard to find, they can be very valuable in trade.

Passive Skill Tree

All of Path of Exile's character classes share its vast passive skill tree. Starting at one of six distinct locations dictated by their chosen class, players can focus on the core specialities of their class or travel across the tree to build complex combinations of skills from various disciplines. Scattered across the tree are Keystone passives that drastically alter the way a character is played. Resolute Technique removes your ability to get critical strikes, but also prevents enemies evading your attacks. Necromantic Aegis grants the properties of your shield to your minions rather than to you. Combining these passives with clever item and skill gem choices allows players deep levels of customisation.

Item System

Path of Exile is completely designed around items. Any game system that can be itemised with random properties has been. Our flasks are persistent items that have mods. Our end-game areas can be found as Map items that have mods altering their challenges and rewards. We've gone as far as removing gold as a currency and basing our trade economy around orbs that can randomly reroll the properties of other items. We have carefully constructed our item system for veterans of the best Action RPGs.

Leagues and Events

One of the things that's most fun about playing a competitive online Action RPG is taking part in a levelling race on a fresh server. In Path of Exile, we wanted to capture this feeling without constantly resetting our main economy, so we've created a set of race leagues that are run frequently as separate game worlds with their own ladders and economies.

In addition to regular races, leagues can substantially modify the game rules. In a Cut-Throat league, you're able to invade other players' instances and kill them to take their items. In Turbo leagues, monsters move and attack 60% faster than normal.

Varying in duration from one hour to several months, players can enter these leagues to show off their mastery of the game and compete to win valuable prizes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reading that melee classes are tough to play. Also no matter what your build make sure you do not ignore health and resistances. If you concentrate all on offense you will get smoked.

Flasks are interesting - they are permanent instead of consumable, just a timer on each one. You can carry up to 5. You can carry 5 of all the same purpose and just cycle through them.Also the game rewards people that can create creative and powerful builds. In an interview the game designers said you could have characters 20x more powerful based on an optimized build vs. an unoptimized build.

Flasks are interesting - they are permanent instead of consumable, just a timer on each one. You can carry up to 5. You can carry 5 of all the same purpose and just cycle through them.Also the game rewards people that can create creative and powerful builds. In an interview the game designers said you could have characters 20x more powerful based on an optimized build vs. an unoptimized build.
Pretty sure I will be one of the unoptimized builds.

This model is very intriguing to me, and I think it's a direction that many games will head in the future. Kickstart + microtransactions can fully fund a game development cycle and sustain it. I've been following this team for a while, they've done some great work and made a game with complexity and simplicity at the same time, they've also raised over 2 million dollars in the process. Good for them.

'Evilgrin 72 said:
I have absolutely no MMORPG experience, so I have many questions.1) Do I need a headset to talk to people in this? I really don't want to do that.2) Do I have any hope of not ending up the village dork that gets the #### kicked out of him every day?3) Is this an online-only thing or do I have to install a bunch of software (I imagine the latter.) If so, can I do this without my IT department knowing I'm playing an online nerd game all day? Can I play this without people being able to tell I'm obviously playing a game?
1) If you want to play MMOs in any kind of coordinated fashion (necessary for some, not for others) yes. Imagine doing the FFA over a headset.2) Of course not.3) Depends on your IT department. If I worked in your IT department, I'd know. ;) I see people playing WoW here all the time. I don't particularly care. Now torrents, I make sure those get shut down pronto. If you have your office set up like mine, you could avoid it I guess.

This model is very intriguing to me, and I think it's a direction that many games will head in the future. Kickstart + microtransactions can fully fund a game development cycle and sustain it. I've been following this team for a while, they've done some great work and made a game with complexity and simplicity at the same time, they've also raised over 2 million dollars in the process. Good for them.
I got into the closed beta when they started crowd funding their game, bought a key and they matched it with game credit in addition to a beta key.I played through the game with multiple characters, probably 100+ hours before I even spent my credit they gave me, the stuff they offer is also reasonably priced and its the kind of stuff people will actually buy.You can buy increased stash space, which you start off with more than enough to begin with but the additional pages are cheap.Just hopped on for the first time in a few months, the game looks great a lot of good changes. Gonna start my Cold Witch tomorrow ill post my screen then.

I got into the closed beta when they started crowd funding their game, bought a key and they matched it with game credit in addition to a beta key.I played through the game with multiple characters, probably 100+ hours before I even spent my credit they gave me, the stuff they offer is also reasonably priced and its the kind of stuff people will actually buy.You can buy increased stash space, which you start off with more than enough to begin with but the additional pages are cheap.Just hopped on for the first time in a few months, the game looks great a lot of good changes. Gonna start my Cold Witch tomorrow ill post my screen then.
Yeah I love the idea of free to play but giving the player a non-competitive reason to purchase stuff that supports the game.Stash space, visual upgrades, pets, and additional character slots are all things that people will buy, but you can also play for free too. I'm not sure what they will finally decide on, but giving everyone 1 character slot for free and then $4.99 for each additional would be a good thing IMO.

Also the game rewards people that can create creative and powerful builds. In an interview the game designers said you could have characters 20x more powerful based on an optimized build vs. an unoptimized build.
Heads up, this may sound like sarcasm or whatever but it isn't, serious question. Does this mean if you aren't an uber-dweeb, willing to sit and try to tweek builds six or seven hours a day, that you are just going to spend all your time dead after the first week the game is out? Or will there be leveled areas? Or areas where PvP isn't even an option? Sorry to ask, but all that stuff is blocked here at work. The whole concept sounds interesting. But if I'm just going to be dead within 15 seconds of logging in, then not so much.

Also the game rewards people that can create creative and powerful builds. In an interview the game designers said you could have characters 20x more powerful based on an optimized build vs. an unoptimized build.
Heads up, this may sound like sarcasm or whatever but it isn't, serious question. Does this mean if you aren't an uber-dweeb, willing to sit and try to tweek builds six or seven hours a day, that you are just going to spend all your time dead after the first week the game is out? Or will there be leveled areas? Or areas where PvP isn't even an option? Sorry to ask, but all that stuff is blocked here at work. The whole concept sounds interesting. But if I'm just going to be dead within 15 seconds of logging in, then not so much.
It's not a PvP server where people gank you, I assume they have instances for that. You can play the entire game single player if you want.You can respec points but not all at once (you can create multiple characters to try out different builds).

I went ahead and paid the $10 for closed beta access, even though open beta opens tomorrow at 5pm EST, you get microtransaction credit for the $10. Figured I would get a jump start on how this game works.

When does this thing go live?
Open Beta is live tomorrow at 5PM (your stuff will get wiped, but still free to play)Not sure when actual release date is, but it will be free when it goes live as well so anyone that wants to play can start checking it out tomorrow night
Tomorrow is essentially release.All characters created in the open beta will not be wiped upon release. They have been deciding on whether they were going to do that or not and it took them a year to finally decide that its technically the unofficial release.

It's not a PvP server where people gank you, I assume they have instances for that. You can play the entire game single player if you want.You can respec points but not all at once (you can create multiple characters to try out different builds).
An example of the types of spells that can gimp your character:Passive TreeEldritch Battery + Chaos InoculationThe second one makes your max life 1 as well as gives you 50% more shield (and immune to Chaos Damage)The first one converts all energy shield to manaSo when you put these two together you have 1 life and no energy shieldThere are other differences in passive skills that are not so dramatic.You can have two nodes that do the same thing, one gives 6% of something another gives 10% of something so if you can easily reach the 10% node it is betterFinally you have nodes that are similar but one node is specific to 1 type of weapon and gives a much larger bonus than another node that gives the same bonus but is applicable to all weapons.

Yes. The skill, stat and gear systems in PoE are complex.It doesn't take an outrageous amount of time, and after you learn the basics it pretty much opens the doors for some really crazy ####.

That being said, I gave up on my first two characters because their effectiveness petered out, I think its gonna be a theme with most new players to play about 20 hours of the game and then just completely start over with their new found knowledge of the intricacies of the games systems.

Yes. The skill, stat and gear systems in PoE are complex.It doesn't take an outrageous amount of time, and after you learn the basics it pretty much opens the doors for some really crazy ####.

That being said, I gave up on my first two characters because their effectiveness petered out, I think its gonna be a theme with most new players to play about 20 hours of the game and then just completely start over with their new found knowledge of the intricacies of the games systems.
That's sort of what I was afraid of. Well, on the bright side, I doubt I have a computer that could run it that well anyways. But it just sounds like more time and effort than I would want to put in to it. I'm sure you guys will enjoy the heck out of it though! So good deal for free.

Patch notes for todays update:

http://www.pathofexi...ew-thread/70479

Microtransaction Features:

[*]Added a wide range of entirely cosmetic microtransaction items such as dance animations, more pets, and weapon and skill effects. Check out the shop on pathofexile.com for a complete list!

[*]Typing /dance will use the appropriate purchased microtransaction from your microtransaction stash.

[*]We've added support for Premium stash tabs which can be purchased on the website. Once one is purchased, you can rename it and change its colour as often as you want by right clicking on it.

[*]You can upgrade a standard stash tab to premium, which upgrades the first available standard tab. Our initial pricing allows the upgrade at a discounted price just in case you already own a lot of standard tabs that you intended to upgrade.

[*]Cosmetic item and skill effects can be applied onto your items or skill gems by right clicking the item in your microtransaction stash then left clicking the item you'd like to apply it to.

[*]You can only have one cosmetic effect of a specific class on an item. For example, you may have a particle effect and a skin change applied to one item, but applying a second particle effect will destroy the previous one.

[*]An item with a cosmetic effect on it cannot be traded or dropped. To trade or drop the item, you need to remove the effect from it.

[*]You can reclaim effects for free (putting them back in your microtransaction stash) by clicking the "Reclaim" button in your microtransaction stash.

[*]For now there's a limit of only one microtransaction stash. We'll lift this limit as soon as possible so that you can buy all the things.

Features:

[*]Some areas now have doors which can be opened by clicking them. You can fire projectiles through certain doors.

[*]We've added the ability to render more reflective materials and have updated much of the metal in the game to be appropriately reflective.

[*]There's now an icon on the world map to show when a waypoint is in an area underneath the overland one (for example, in the Sewers in Act Three).

[*]There's now an option on the login screen to save your password between sessions. This can be unticked if you do not want to store a hash of your password on that computer.

[*]Players are now notified via chat when they've taken a screenshot.

[*]Flasks with movement speed mods (and the Quicksilver flask itself) now display an effect on the character to show that you're accelerated.

[*]The roofs of certain buildings and tents in Act Three will fade away when you enter those buildings.

[*]There are now sound effects associated with trading, partying and receiving whispered messages.

[*]Bowstrings now twang visibly when fired.

[*]You can now dismiss the quest-status-change notification with right click.

[*]The Create button on the main menu now takes you to the account creation web page.

[*]Life Regeneration is now shown as a per second stat, rather than per minute.

[*]Monsters now list what elements they are vulnerable to.

[*]The /debug command can't be used to cheat in races any more. Thanks guys.

[*]Chat moderators can now chat in colour.

Reading that melee classes are tough to play. Also no matter what your build make sure you do not ignore health and resistances. If you concentrate all on offense you will get smoked.
Weak.
This isn't true, while ranged builds have an inherent advantage over melee builds, the melee builds take advantage of many skills that are easily reached that drastically change how they work (and typically give them an advantage over ranged builds.)The most important thing to realize before making your character is to identify how much you are going to rely on health and what type of armor stat you are going to focus on.In path of exile there are three types of armor stats:-Armor, which is a straight damage mitigation stat the more armor you have the more damage you resist-Evasion, which is a binary damage mitigation stat the more evasion you have the higher your evasion chance is, if you evade you take none, if you don't evade you take full damage (spoiler, evasion is garbage in almost all builds.)-Energy Shield, which is unique in that it adds a fast recharge shield over your health pool, essentially giving you a second health poolNow, you can mix and match all of these and in most cases having two is usually the best but focusing on one is important, typically watering down your armor type will actually make you weaker, there are exceptions though. For example there is a passive that converts all of your evasion into armor, since armor is found at much lesser values than evasion on gear you actually receive more armor for using evasion gear and using that passive to convert it to armor.Melee users also get to use Blood Magic (instead of using mana for skills you use health) with no worry of being melted by their own skills, since most melee builds are heavily invested in health regeneration and increased life.My best characters in the closed beta were all melee builds.

Weak.
This isn't true, while ranged builds have an inherent advantage over melee builds, the melee builds take advantage of many skills that are easily reached that drastically change how they work (and typically give them an advantage over ranged builds.)The most important thing to realize before making your character is to identify how much you are going to rely on health and what type of armor stat you are going to focus on.In path of exile there are three types of armor stats:-Armor, which is a straight damage mitigation stat the more armor you have the more damage you resist-Evasion, which is a binary damage mitigation stat the more evasion you have the higher your evasion chance is, if you evade you take none, if you don't evade you take full damage (spoiler, evasion is garbage in almost all builds.)-Energy Shield, which is unique in that it adds a fast recharge shield over your health pool, essentially giving you a second health poolNow, you can mix and match all of these and in most cases having two is usually the best but focusing on one is important, typically watering down your armor type will actually make you weaker, there are exceptions though. For example there is a passive that converts all of your evasion into armor, since armor is found at much lesser values than evasion on gear you actually receive more armor for using evasion gear and using that passive to convert it to armor.Melee users also get to use Blood Magic (instead of using mana for skills you use health) with no worry of being melted by their own skills, since most melee builds are heavily invested in health regeneration and increased life.My best characters in the closed beta were all melee builds.
what was your class/build, health and armor at? I had a hell of a time with a two handed marauder.

what was your class/build, health and armor at? I had a hell of a time with a two handed marauder.
I had a 2h Templar and a 2h Marauder.On my laptop at the moment, ill hop on my desktop in a few and check them out, they were moved into legacy so I may not be able to give you their builds I believe there have been skill tree wipes.

Edit:

There have been skill tree wipes since I last played... they also changed the character viewer in browsers. It used to work like armories where you could just link your account, now it opens in browser and you can't share it wtf...

Best I can do is describe them, the templar and mar were essentially the same build, but with more health on my mar and more elemental damage on my templar. Both used blood magic/iron reflexes/resolute technique/unwavering stance.

Single target: Heavy Strike w/Faster attacks, Stun, Increased Melee Dmg

Multi target: Ground Slam w/Faster Attacks, Increased Melee Dmg, Added Fire Dmg, Increased Area of Effect

Auras: Wrath and Anger both w/ Reduced Mana Cost

Other Skills: Decoy Totem, Enduring Cry, Warlords Mark, Temporal Chains and Phase Run (which in open beta will be replaced by a flask)

My other two big characters were a Ranger and Witch.

My Witch had a Unique Sidhebreath Amulet so I went for a Crit/Freeze Witch with summon support. Used Chaos Inoculation and Minion Instability.

All AoE all the time: 17% Freezing Pulse w/ Faster Casting, Lesser Multiple Projectiles, 15% Faster Projectiles (Faster Projectiles actually increases the range of short range abilities)

Gimmick Totem: Ice Spear Spell Toten w/ Faster Casting, Elemental Proliferation

My Ranger was okay but pretty poor in comparison to my other three, I plan on rolling either a Wand templar or Ice witch on release.

I am looking forward to this, but the skill tree REALLY intimidates me.
Go in knowing your first char is all about learning. I suggest once you start playing do the first couple of areas a few times so that you can out level the area a bit. Play around with the skill builder tree (its available on their website) and try to remember that you do not have to build chars in any certain way. You want a frost, two handed axe templar go for it! You want a poison marauder archer go do it! You can build your char to be anything you want. Unless you are going into the races or HC I would not worry about it too much.

A couple of other tipsLike Buddy Ball said, get to know the class you want to play research it a little bit. The only important thing you need to understand from the outset is which of the two branches you want to start investing your points into.First thing I would do is create 1 character of each class, get to town. That should give you two spells for each class to choose from. I would look up all of the spells for the 3 different branches (str, dex, int) before playing and get familiar with them. I went ahead and played a shadow w/ bow up to level 17 and had the poison dart as my main damage dealer, which is not that bad, but it would have been nice to choose from 2-3x as many starting spells applicable to my class since the rewards seem to be random.Understand that red = str, green = dex, blue = int so once you know your primary attribute and your secondary attribute you want to focus on gems and sockets accordingly.

:blackdot:

What are the system requirements?
Path of Exile is designed to run on a huge variety of systems, from an everyday laptop to a top of the line gaming rig. Our detailed art is designed to not only look great, but also reveal additional detail as the resolution is increased to the maximum of 2560x1600. Exact system requirements will be determined closer to release.

At the moment, you will need a Graphics Card with Pixel Shader 3.0 or higher, and a CPU that supports SSE2. At least 2GB of RAM is recommended, and older Integrated Graphics Cards will not run well.

If you were in closed beta you can start downloading the latest patch now (not sure if open beta people can yet or if they have to wait for them to flip the switch).

'Evilgrin 72 said:
I have absolutely no MMORPG experience, so I have many questions.1) Do I need a headset to talk to people in this? I really don't want to do that.2) Do I have any hope of not ending up the village dork that gets the #### kicked out of him every day?3) Is this an online-only thing or do I have to install a bunch of software (I imagine the latter.) If so, can I do this without my IT department knowing I'm playing an online nerd game all day? Can I play this without people being able to tell I'm obviously playing a game?
I know zero about this game, specifically, but generally these type of games have different facets to them.you can play pvp (player vs player), pve (player vs environment -- meaning you just roam around and kill computer monsters), or co-op pve/pvp (you join up with others).a lot of the time, the pve aspect of the game lets you learn about the game in a non-competitive environment, and build your character up.as that stuff gets boring a lot of people migrate over to teh pvp side for a different challenge, which is where you would be getting your ### smoked.mics are always optional in most of it, but would probably be mandatory in a competitive team pvp.like the other guy said, it depends on your it dept.your work comp may be admin'd up so you can't play it, and anybody looking at the network can see what you do online -- that doesn't mean people are watching or give a crap.I imagine your co-workers wouldn't notice at first, but when you start showing up for work dressed as a warlock and scream at your computer about ####### GIANT SPIDERS they'd probably know something's up.

:blackdot:

What are the system requirements?
Path of Exile is designed to run on a huge variety of systems, from an everyday laptop to a top of the line gaming rig. Our detailed art is designed to not only look great, but also reveal additional detail as the resolution is increased to the maximum of 2560x1600. Exact system requirements will be determined closer to release.

At the moment, you will need a Graphics Card with Pixel Shader 3.0 or higher, and a CPU that supports SSE2. At least 2GB of RAM is recommended, and older Integrated Graphics Cards will not run well.
Pixel Shader 3.0 (DX 9.0c)ATI Radeon X1300-X1950, nVidiaGeForce 6 et 7, Intel GMA X3000 series

cpu-z will tell you inthe instructions line if you support sse2

superlate edit: sry, but I forgot to add this originally -- I think when I installed this it asked if I wanted to install a bunch of adware, so PLEASE when you install read everything and uncheck every box.

Can we group together for questing or it just single player?A FBG guild could be fun.Can I build a girl ninja?

Servers must be overwhelmed. I signed up and haven't received my confirmation email as of yet. Took forever to download as well.

Welp... you can't stop your download and resume at the same point. Just FYI.edit - I take that back... I think it's just not showing the amount I downloaded before

Dang, download servers getting pVVn3d right now. I normally download about 2 MB/sec. I am getting anywhere from 2kb/sec to 82 kb/sec. :hot:

Up to Merveil, taking a break for the night.

Shadow - Bow build

Making my way down to Deadly Draw then will go up for Heartseeker, Piercing Shots, Ghost Reaver, Mind Drinker, Arcane Focus and Chaos Innoculation before making my way over to Vaal Pact. Should look like this towards the end.

:( My graphics card can't handle it. The game looks like one big smear even on the lowest settings.

Users who are viewing this thread