What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New Modem and Router (1 Viewer)

SHIZNITTTT

Footballguy
Hi guys, was looking into getting a modem and router hoping that it would be better than what cox supplied. I have the modem and router upstairs and we mostly use the wife downstairs. I have a weak signal 2 to 3 bars. I was wondering if a new modem and router would help with the signal and better speeds? TIA.

What router do you have now?

A new modem likely won't help as much as a new router. What devices do you have that use the wifi (or wife)?

A new modem likely won't help as much as a new router. What devices do you have that use the wifi (or wife)?
netgear model that came from COX. We use the internet downstairs, ipads, netflix, gaming over wifi. I wish I had an ethernet connection downstairs.

netgear model that came from COX. We use the internet downstairs, ipads, netflix, gaming over wifi. I wish I had an ethernet connection downstairs.
always fastest. if you can get the netgear model number, that could help. I've been partial to asus routers for a while now. They have very good range. Alternatively, you can look into a powerline adapter, and a second router (that's what I do). I then have a wifi "hotspot" upstairs as well as one in my finished basement two floors away.

always fastest. if you can get the netgear model number, that could help. I've been partial to asus routers for a while now. They have very good range. Alternatively, you can look into a powerline adapter, and a second router (that's what I do). I then have a wifi "hotspot" upstairs as well as one in my finished basement two floors away.
Was just going to suggest this. You can get a powerline unit that is its own wi-fi access point, like this one

Unless you have an AC wireless devices (iphone 6 or 6+ is, iphone 5s are not)....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320091

Is likely all you'll need and should greatly improve your range from where the router currently is. I'd also look into some powerline adapters and use a router at each location (you'll have to do some tinkering on the 2nd router) which will give you both wired and wireless abilities from two locations in your home.

Assuming you have neighbors nearby, they could be interfering with your signal. Try going into the router and trying different channels to see if that helps.

Make sure you get a DOCSYS 3.0 modem. Cox is doubling their speeds this month (to like 50Mb/s), at least in my area, and you need a DOCSYS 3.0 to take advantage.

Make sure you get a DOCSYS 3.0 modem. Cox is doubling their speeds this month (to like 50Mb/s), at least in my area, and you need a DOCSYS 3.0 to take advantage.
Or call cox and see if they'd send you one that is doc. 3.0 if the one you currently have isn't capable. Also, if you're paying $5 a month to rent that modem from them, just get this. Pays for itself in about a year.

Was just going to suggest this. You can get a powerline unit that is its own wi-fi access point, like this one
Awesome.

OK, did a speed test through COX website. Paying for 50MB speed. Cox has upgraded their speed to 100MB. I am getting around 25 to 35 mb speed dl. This is not on the wireless, but those speed are on the desktop that is hard wired to the modem. What would be causing the slowdown in speed? Oh, my speed on the wireless laptop is around 6 to 8 mb dl while I am surfing the internet downstairs.

You will never get what they advertise for one thing. Also if you read fine print they always say "up to" that speed and really only when their speed boost kicks in...whatever triggers that. Ive seen mine bounce all over. Gets pretty poor late evening all the time too.

NetnautX said:
You will never get what they advertise for one thing. Also if you read fine print they always say "up to" that speed and really only when their speed boost kicks in...whatever triggers that. Ive seen mine bounce all over. Gets pretty poor late evening all the time too.
Inaccurate. I regularly get more than the 100Mb I am supposed to get and unless everyone is on the network and streaming I get 90-100Mb. If you want to do it right it will cost 200-300 bucks, I am not a fan of the two in one devices. I was having major issues with my old Linksys router constantly freezing or getting very slow. I have 30 devices on my network so I went with the RT-AC68U, it's been fantastic. Range is great and throughput is excellent, especially on the 5gHz band.

Motorola Cable Modem DOCSIS 3.0 66.00

Asus RT-N66U Wireless Router 130.00 Good range and good throughput

Asus RT-AC68U Wireless Router 200.00 Great range and great throughput

Ok guys, so last night I spoke with a guy from COX tech support. He had me do many things and narrowed it down to the router. I was getting 110 - 115 mb speeds when I plugged the ethernet cable directly into my laptop. Same speed when I plugged directly into my desktop without the router. So when I plug everything up the router KILLS my internet speed. I was getting around 25mb speed when I was 2 feet away from the router, and it just kept getting slower the further I got away from the router. IN fact once I was down stairs it was less than 10mb speed. The rep recommended a new router. What say you?

Ok guys, so last night I spoke with a guy from COX tech support. He had me do many things and narrowed it down to the router. I was getting 110 - 115 mb speeds when I plugged the ethernet cable directly into my laptop. Same speed when I plugged directly into my desktop without the router. So when I plug everything up the router KILLS my internet speed. I was getting around 25mb speed when I was 2 feet away from the router, and it just kept getting slower the further I got away from the router. IN fact once I was down stairs it was less than 10mb speed. The rep recommended a new router. What say you?
Agree with him. Direct connection is the right speed but through the router is throttled. I would look at one of the two Asus routers I linked above. If you have a big place the RT-AC68U might be best since it's range is better than the RT-N66U.

Does anyone see a good router at best buy? I have a gift certificate/credit that I would like to use if possible.

belljr said:
They don't work if your outlets are on different circuits do they?
I'm pretty sure I just read the other day that they do. And I think mine are on separate circuits, although I'm not 100% sure on that.

UPS or surge protector can hose it up though.

belljr said:
New ones do. I have a pair that actually connect from totally different breaker boxes (one is a sub-box just for the now finished basement).

Does anyone see a good router at best buy? I have a gift certificate/credit that I would like to use if possible.
The latest Asus are RT-AC66R and RT-AC68P. The Netgear Nighthawk is also gotten good reviews but I have had issues with Netgear in the past. Any would be a good choice but I lean Asus and have had great success with mine.

ETA since the Asus are new models they are a bit more pricey than the older models on Amazon. How large of a space are you trying to get good wifi in? How many walls and floors?

Last edited by a moderator:
The latest Asus are RT-AC66R and RT-AC68P. The Netgear Nighthawk is also gotten good reviews but I have had issues with Netgear in the past. Any would be a good choice but I lean Asus and have had great success with mine.

ETA since the Asus are new models they are a bit more pricey than the older models on Amazon. How large of a space are you trying to get good wifi in? How many walls and floors?
2 stories, the "HOME OFFICE" was set up 6 years ago when we purchased our house. It is on one side of the house upstairs 3500sqft, and most of our internet usage is downstairs opposite side of house.

2 stories, the "HOME OFFICE" was set up 6 years ago when we purchased our house. It is on one side of the house upstairs 3500sqft, and most of our internet usage is downstairs opposite side of house.
I would go with the AC68P then, when you put it in you may also want to add a booster antennae like this or a directional antennae like this

I currently have the Netgear Router WNR2000v3

Don't know if it is good or bad. But the signal I get from it sucks. I can see my neighbors wifi signal who lives 6 houses away better. lol

belljr said:
I'm pretty sure I just read the other day that they do. And I think mine are on separate circuits, although I'm not 100% sure on that.

UPS or surge protector can hose it up though.
belljr said:
New ones do. I have a pair that actually connect from totally different breaker boxes (one is a sub-box just for the now finished basement).
Thanks I think the old one didn't, why I never got them.

My whole basement is wired to a different box.

I may check out the ASUS Hawk posted thoufh

Picked up the Linksys wrt1900ac got a deal on it. MAN WHAT A DIFFERENCE. I am out in the street about 150 feet away from my house and I am doing internet speeds on the wifi of 60mb dl. WOW! thanks everyone.

Picked up the Linksys wrt1900ac got a deal on it. MAN WHAT A DIFFERENCE. I am out in the street about 150 feet away from my house and I am doing internet speeds on the wifi of 60mb dl. WOW! thanks everyone.
:thumbup: Good luck, hopefully it has the same reliability that the original had, not like their other models.

Yeah, have antennas on the routers make a huge difference.

How do the new ones compare to the RT-N66U?

Not sure, looks like they added AC to the old one, so I would imagine throughput is better. I didn't list it but really like that the RT-AC87U (which is also new) has 4 antennae, it's expensive as hell though.

To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if in the next 5 years most homes will need enterprise grade networking just based on the number of devices. I have over 30 devices on my network with just 4 people in the house. Multiple Apple TVs, Chromecast, Cable boxes, TVs, PCs, Laptops, mobile devices, etc.

Minor tweaks to improve performance is to change the channel your wifi uses. Looking at my neighbors routers theyre all on channel 1 or 11. I'm chilling on 9 like a boss

cstu said:
Hawks64 said:
SHIZNITTTT said:
The latest Asus are RT-AC66R and RT-AC68P. The Netgear Nighthawk is also gotten good reviews but I have had issues with Netgear in the past. Any would be a good choice but I lean Asus and have had great success with mine.ETA since the Asus are new models they are a bit more pricey than the older models on Amazon. How large of a space are you trying to get good wifi in? How many walls and floors?
i just picked this up not too long ago. Way better than my old one. I don't need something a big as the other. I use my router for the basics. That said this is way better than my old one. I just can't justify 200 plus for a router

VA703 said:
Minor tweaks to improve performance is to change the channel your wifi uses. Looking at my neighbors routers theyre all on channel 1 or 11. I'm chilling on 9 like a boss
To super-boss it you should move to channel 6 to avoid interference +/- 2 channels. Channel 9 overlaps channel 11. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels
You can be go mega-super-boss and use inSSIDer to see what networks are running near you and what channels would be best to use for the best coverage as you move around your house.

VA703 said:
To super-boss it you should move to channel 6 to avoid interference +/- 2 channels. Channel 9 overlaps channel 11. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels
You can be go mega-super-boss and use inSSIDer to see what networks are running near you and what channels would be best to use for the best coverage as you move around your house.
I'll check it out. I'm currently using wifi explorer on my iphone to show most that info. Pretty nice tool shows hidden networks their security / channel and strength

Users who are viewing this thread