What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

U.S. to shift Cuba policy, normalize relations (1 Viewer)

Finally

The U.S. is starting talks with Cuba to normalize full diplomatic relations, open embassy, according to U.S. officials.

U.S. President Obama, Cuba's Raul Castro plan to speak separately at noon ET about relations between the two countries.

Obama plans to overhaul Cuba's policy while Cuba plans to free 53 political prisoners and to allow U.S. debit and credit cards, Dow Jones reported. This follows Cuba's release of American Alan Gross from a Cuban prison where he spent five years on espionage charges, NBC reported.

CNBC
:thumbup:

Finally

The U.S. is starting talks with Cuba to normalize full diplomatic relations, open embassy, according to U.S. officials.

U.S. President Obama, Cuba's Raul Castro plan to speak separately at noon ET about relations between the two countries.

Obama plans to overhaul Cuba's policy while Cuba plans to free 53 political prisoners and to allow U.S. debit and credit cards, Dow Jones reported. This follows Cuba's release of American Alan Gross from a Cuban prison where he spent five years on espionage charges, NBC reported.

CNBC
Love how we throw in goodies for Wall St. right off the bat.

Finally

CNBC
Love how we throw in goodies for Wall St. right off the bat.
We'll open an embassy, release seven prisoners and oh...here are 2 million AMEX cards.

My grandfather used to tell me about catching Tarpon just outside the mouth of Havana Harbor in the '50s. I'd love to go to Cuba.

IMHO this will be more devastating to the Cuban regime than the Cuban minority in Florida.

And before any conservatives gets on their soap box, the US has diplomatic relations with Vietnam..

And for any human rights activists that are about to get their panties in a twist: the US has diplomatic relations with China

Last edited by a moderator:
Makes sense from any angle. Its much easier to influence a country as close as Cuba with our exported goods than through an embargo. Let them absorb our culture for a decade or two and see if the government can control them any more.

As a first generation American who was born to a father who fled Cuba in the 1960's. I have mixed emotions about ending the embargo. On the one hand it could be quite helpful for my family still in Cuba for the embargo to end. However in the short run it will also benefit people like Raul Castro. But on the whole its probably time to end it and allow more free travel to Cuba by Americans. I know when my Great Aunt and Great Uncle visited us in the 1990s they thought that America was an amazing place. I would really like to visit my family there and see the home of my dad and grandparents.

This is going to be the end of Canadians getting mega cheap vacations to Cuba (which is way better than Dominican/Jamaica/most of Mexico in my experience) isn't it.

krista4 said:
chet said:
When will we be able to travel there?
You can travel there now. I went legally in 2012. :shrug:

And wait, don't you have Canadian citizenship? Even easier for you.
I have a US green card and if the authorities discover I've been to Cuba, they will cut up the card. Much less punitive for an American citizen to go IMO.

krista4 said:
chet said:
When will we be able to travel there?
You can travel there now. I went legally in 2012. :shrug:

And wait, don't you have Canadian citizenship? Even easier for you.
I have a US green card and if the authorities discover I've been to Cuba, they will cut up the card. Much less punitive for an American citizen to go IMO.
Weird that a US citizen can go legally, and a Canadian citizen can go legally, but that you can't due to the green card. Bummer. Hopefully it will change soon.

About time, best way to Americanize Cuba is to open it up. About time.

The one sticking point for me is Fidel and his brother, who I hate to see rewarded with the funds that will surely come, but if we get our grubby capitalistic paws back on that island we will never let it go again.

My grandfather and at least one of his brothers first emigrated to Cuba from Spain and lived there for a while. Cuba was also a big deal to NO's economy.

I've changed my view on this.- I say we move in, flood it with cash, overthrow the bastards and take it over like we used to. And let's get that private property back in the hands of the true owners, maybe starting with Bacardi but going right down to the last arpent. Let's do this.

Comes a time to let the ghosts of the past rest. Harboring even legitimate grudges seems to set one on a path that starts with principle, but descends through loyalty to stubbornness, petulance, and then simply being out of touch. This should have been done long ago. For those who feel they have a claim against that country, or against this country for backing our play there which may have cost them careers and property, or worse, I suppose some sort of tariff or fee on goods and travel could be set up to create a reparations fund. This will not lessen the sense of betrayal that we do not continue to tilt at the windmill which has long since been replaced by a biofuel plant, but it will mark some finality to the whole sad mess if the fund comes with a end date certain.

This should have been accomplished by Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush, the Cigar Lover, and Bush. About time.

brohans there are a zillion reasons this should happen but one of the best will be that a whole lot of families separated by the embargo will be able to see eachother again and that is one hell of a good thing bam right at the holidays to that right there is a great thing take that to the bank brohans

Users who are viewing this thread