What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who is Brandon Bolden (1 Viewer)

Shutout

Footballguy
Really scratching my head on this one.

I know nothing of this guy and he's getting scarfed up in all the leagues I play in.

Is there anything going on here or is this just another "young RB in training camp" story?

Thanks for any info guys, as usual.

He's an UFA rookie that has impressed so far in training camp. He could be part of the mix along with Ridley, Vereen, and Woodhead. All signs point to Ridley as the primary back but that could change.

went to Ole Miss. His game is similar to BGE's, but he's more athletic. I was surprised he went undrafted to tell you the truth

I was also surprised he went undrafted. I finally read last week that he apparently skipped a practice at Ole Miss his senior year. Combined with his injury and the slow time at the combine (4.66) I guess that was enough. Not surprised to hear good stories though.

Will have to prove he can do the no-fumble and pass protect thing but there's definitely no stud in front of him. Could get on the field sooner than people think as part of a RBBC.

Lool he's the key to your fantasy season, is who he is.But you can still probably get the jump on huggins
Huh? I know you're a Pats fan Kool-aid. give me some info. Whats the scoop on this kid? WOrth a roster spot?
haha...sorry, I was joking.it's actually possible the guy has some value down the road, but it's just kind of funny how reactionary people can be.he's gettin' scooped up for about the same reason people are drafting rgIII, while they largely ignored cam --- I think it's a case of missing the wedding and trying to cash teh funeral.they feel benny basically 'came out of nowhere', so they think this kid is the next benny.he's gettin' some positive camp buzz as a between the tackles guy, while vereen reports haven't been all that enthusiastic, and bear in mind draft spot never guarantees production -- see my namesake.so, if you don't buy into vereen, bolden pretty much becomes the handcuff for ridley, meaning he might be an injury, or a couple fumbles, away from being the lead back on one of the top offenses in the nfl -- an offense where another undrafted guy popped off 24 td in the last 2 years.edit:I think the question of drafting him really just comes down to your roster size, as with a lot of these depth chart guys.if you had a huge bench it probably wouldn't be the worst thing you could do, especially if you're in some kind of keeper or dynasty.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys think it means any more or less that the Patriots gave him a chance?

They seem to be a team that does homework and gets the best out of people and they aren't a team with a definite stud RB on their team.

On the other hand, they haven't had a great FF RB in a while and there seems to be a host of other RBs to contend with.

They seem to be a team that does homework and gets the best out of people and they aren't a team with a definite stud RB on their team.

On the other hand, they haven't had a great FF RB in a while and there seems to be a host of other RBs to contend with.
I'm not really sure what you mean by that.anyway, I think ridley's gonna be pretty studly, and there is definitely competition for him as far as playing time, which is why he will be undrafted in most fantasy leagues, just like the nfl.

he's a depth chart guy --- people are looking for a late round scratch ticket.

Lool he's the key to your fantasy season, is who he is.

But you can still probably get the jump on huggins
Huh? I know you're a Pats fan Kool-aid. give me some info. Whats the scoop on this kid? WOrth a roster spot?
haha...sorry, I was joking.it's actually possible the guy has some value down the road, but it's just kind of funny how reactionary people can be.

he's gettin' scooped up for about the same reason people are drafting rgIII, while they largely ignored cam --- I think it's a case of missing the wedding and trying to cash teh funeral.

they feel benny basically 'came out of nowhere', so they think this kid is the next benny.

he's gettin' some positive camp buzz as a between the tackles guy, while vereen reports haven't been all that enthusiastic, and bear in mind draft spot never guarantees production -- see my namesake.

so, if you don't buy into vereen, bolden pretty much becomes the handcuff for ridley, meaning he might be an injury, or a couple fumbles, away from being the lead back on one of the top offenses in the nfl -- an offense where another undrafted guy popped off 24 td in the last 2 years.

edit:

I think the question of drafting him really just comes down to your roster size, as with a lot of these depth chart guys.

if you had a huge bench it probably wouldn't be the worst thing you could do, especially if you're in some kind of keeper or dynasty.
So true a lot of times..love that. :) Thanks for the info. With it being the Pats, it DOES give me some thought to ponder because they do seem to be a team that is less rigid on playing (or not playing) a guy just because he was drafted (or wasn't) in a particular round.

Thanks for the info. With it being the Pats, it DOES give me some thought to ponder because they do seem to be a team that is less rigid on playing (or not playing) a guy just because he was drafted (or wasn't) in a particular round.
oh yeah, there are all kinds of undrafted and late round guys who contribute on the pats --- draft position just gets you in camp, not in games.check this out

Belichick’s kind of roster: Patriots have 18 undrafted free agents

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 30, 2012, 8:26 PM EDT

The Patriots have put together a roster full of guys that no one else wanted. It’s a motley crew and that seems to suit this organization best.....

I pulled this off bolden's wiki:

Although fellow running back Enrique Davis was much more regarded as a recruit, by his sophomore year, Bolden had gained the starting role for the Rebels. In the disappointing 2010 season, Bolden was one of the Rebels' bright spots, averaging nearly six yards a carry. Against BYU in the first game of the 2011 season, Bolden suffered a broken ankle. Although the fracture was a minor one and he only missed a few games, he never returned to his previous form.

now if I could just figure out who is the coon....

more edits:

Former Ole Miss rusher Brandon Bolden didn't hear his name called in April's NFL draft, but he might have found a fit with the New England Patriots.

The 5'11", 215-pound halfback finished his collegiate career with the second-most total touchdowns in Rebels' history with 33 and the fourth-most rushing yards with 2,604. Yet during his senior year, a lingering broken ankle and a suspension hurt his draft stock.

“I’m a guy that looks forward," Bolden said to WEEI's Christopher Price. "The injury happened, everything happens for a reason. I’m just looking forward.”

Looking forward or not, Bolden is undeniably linked with another 5'11", 215-pound Ole Miss alum known as the "Law Firm." The lofty expectations of being "the next BenJarvus Green-Ellis" just add to the pressure.

Are you kidding me? Maybe in the late rounds and UDFAs...but they're horrible in the early rounds.

RB Brandon Bolden’s bid has legs

By Tom Layman | Sunday, August 5, 2012 | http://www.bostonherald.com | N.E. Patriots

Photo by John Wilcox

FOXBORO — Brandon Bolden might be the latest undrafted free agent to surprise in Patriots [team stats] training camp, but don’t tell that to his former running backs coach at Ole Miss.

Derrick Nix watched Bolden grow from an unheralded recruit to a productive back in the Southeastern Conference during their four years together. Bolden has had his ups and downs — highlighted by a fumble in the early sessions — in his first taste of an NFL camp, and Nix believes the Patriots just may have something with the pick-up of his former pupil.

“Before he left here I told Brandon, ‘If you go out and take care of your business I wouldn’t be surprised if you came out being a starter before the year is over up that way,’ ” said Nix, who spent time with the Atlanta Falcons organization as an offensive assistant coach in 2007. “He’s a great character kid and he loves football. I wish I had him right now, I know that.”

Bolden had by far his most productive season during his junior year at Ole Miss, when he averaged 6.0 yards per carry and totaled 976 yards and 14 rushing touchdowns in 12 games. Nix said he saw a more improved running back in camp for Bolden’s senior season, but an ankle injury in the opening game against BYU derailed his 2011 campaign.

For the season, Bolden finished with 472 yards on 96 carries with only four touchdowns. He fell completely out of the draft as a result of the injury and a suspension for violating team rules. The 5-foot-11, 220-pounder was signed by the Patriots as a rookie free agent in May.

“It hampered his game,” Nix said. “He’s got to be more of a physical type of guy. He has some agility, but he has to be a physical downhill type of guy. If you mess up the wheels on a car you aren’t going to roll right. You mess up the ankles on a running back and he is not going to be himself.”

So far Bolden is in the mix for carries with second-year players Stevan Ridley and Shane Vereen, as well as veteran Danny Woodhead. Bolden has seen time in camp as the second back behind Ridley in running situations and has worked with Tom Brady [stats] and the other quarterbacks out of the backfield in an effort to revitalize a screen-passing game that has been quiet the past few seasons.

Bolden, who had 76 receptions (six touchdowns) in college, knows he still has a lot to learn in his first NFL camp. He is trying to keep his head down and take advantage of an opportunity whenever his number gets called.

“It’s getting in the playbook and learning as much as you can and bringing it to the field,” Bolden said after Friday’s practice session. “At camp there is a lot more urgency now. That’s for everybody. We are just trying to get better.”
Article URL: http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1061150970

haha...c'mon, mandaniel thomas is a poor man's daniel thomasthe poor man in question being the guy who drafted him
Which doesn't say much for Bolden. Best case scenario for Bolden is DJ Ware. Career 3rd-stringer with passing down skills. RB3 fill-in if Ridley/Vereen ever goes down.

'Xue said:
haha...c'mon, mandaniel thomas is a poor man's daniel thomasthe poor man in question being the guy who drafted him
Which doesn't say much for Bolden. Best case scenario for Bolden is DJ Ware. Career 3rd-stringer with passing down skills. RB3 fill-in if Ridley/Vereen ever goes down.
I wonder if people had the same types of opinions about Arian foster a few years ago? Seems like its so easy for us to throw cliche out there ( and I'm as guilty as they come....just throwing it out there to see what people remember thinking of foster because of his situation ).

I'd say if you're in any of those 10 buck mfl leagues bolden is definitely the pat back to own.
I'm startin' to drink your Kool-Aid, Larry! Just saw this! I'm shamelessly working a single-handed Bolden campaign...LOL.NFL Network's Michael Lombardi issued a "fantasy sleeper alert" for Patriots undrafted rookie RB Brandon Bolden on Inside Training Camp Live.

"From what I'm being told, I think he has an opportunity to be a special running back much like BenJarvus Green-Ellis," said Lombardi, "And I have a feeling he's pushing Stevan Ridley." Lombardi's connection to Bill Belichick leads to plenty of inside scoop, but he also tends to relentlessly hype Patriots backup types. Bolden did garner early-camp praise from beat writers, though we've seen nothing to suggest he's putting heat on Ridley for the lead back role.

I'd say if you're in any of those 10 buck mfl leagues bolden is definitely the pat back to own.
I'm startin' to drink your Kool-Aid, Larry! Just saw this! I'm shamelessly working a single-handed Bolden campaign...LOL.NFL Network's Michael Lombardi issued a "fantasy sleeper alert" for Patriots undrafted rookie RB Brandon Bolden on Inside Training Camp Live.

"From what I'm being told, I think he has an opportunity to be a special running back much like BenJarvus Green-Ellis," said Lombardi, "And I have a feeling he's pushing Stevan Ridley." Lombardi's connection to Bill Belichick leads to plenty of inside scoop, but he also tends to relentlessly hype Patriots backup types. Bolden did garner early-camp praise from beat writers, though we've seen nothing to suggest he's putting heat on Ridley for the lead back role.
Michael Lombardi is a horrible analyst. He doesn't know anything...he reads a few things off the internet and then makes his own #### up. He probably read the Bolden hype that happened a little last week and just put his own two cents in...which usually sucks.He's also the one that said Carolina would switch to a 3-4 because of Rivera. He's too stupid to know that Rivera has run the 4-3 more than the 3-4 and that there's more of a chance that he'll run the 46 than the 3-4. Then he edited his statement after everyone laughed at him, saying that he meant they were putting in more 3-4 looks...which is stupid since they already did it last year so there's no difference. One of the worst analysts.

Michael Lombardi is a horrible analyst. He doesn't know anything...he reads a few things off the internet and then makes his own #### up. He probably read the Bolden hype that happened a little last week and just put his own two cents in...which usually sucks.He's also the one that said Carolina would switch to a 4-3 because of Rivera. He's too stupid to know that Rivera has run the 4-3 more than the 3-4 and that there's more of a chance that he'll run the 46 than the 3-4. Then he edited his statement after everyone laughed at him, saying that he meant they were putting in more 3-4 looks...which is stupid since they already did it last year so there's no difference. One of the worst analysts.
Carolina IS running a 4-3

Michael Lombardi is a horrible analyst. He doesn't know anything...he reads a few things off the internet and then makes his own #### up. He probably read the Bolden hype that happened a little last week and just put his own two cents in...which usually sucks.He's also the one that said Carolina would switch to a 4-3 because of Rivera. He's too stupid to know that Rivera has run the 4-3 more than the 3-4 and that there's more of a chance that he'll run the 46 than the 3-4. Then he edited his statement after everyone laughed at him, saying that he meant they were putting in more 3-4 looks...which is stupid since they already did it last year so there's no difference. One of the worst analysts.
Carolina IS running a 4-3
Whoops. Meant 3-4 in the first sentence. Rest of my post didn't make sense with the 4-3 there. Thanks.

Michael Lombardi is a horrible analyst. He doesn't know anything...he reads a few things off the internet and then makes his own #### up. He probably read the Bolden hype that happened a little last week and just put his own two cents in...which usually sucks.He's also the one that said Carolina would switch to a 3-4 because of Rivera. He's too stupid to know that Rivera has run the 4-3 more than the 3-4 and that there's more of a chance that he'll run the 46 than the 3-4. Then he edited his statement after everyone laughed at him, saying that he meant they were putting in more 3-4 looks...which is stupid since they already did it last year so there's no difference. One of the worst analysts.
lombardi has connections to people and information that guys like you and me don't have... he's been apart of front office on multiple teams and has connections with many more. so you don't like his opinion, fine... but to say he's making stuff up and doesn't know anything is absolutely ridiculous. sure the guy says some strange things... like calling the law firm a special back but your "he doesn't know anything" ran't couldn't be more false.

lombardi has connections to people and information that guys like you and me don't have... he's been apart of front office on multiple teams and has connections with many more. so you don't like his opinion, fine... but to say he's making stuff up and doesn't know anything is absolutely ridiculous. sure the guy says some strange things... like calling the law firm a special back but your "he doesn't know anything" ran't couldn't be more false.
So you trust every analyst in the country and everything they say? They all have connections. Have fun trying to figure out who's telling the truth every time. And he was basically a scout and finances guy...and he wasn't even good at the scouting part.

Greg Bedard of the Boston Globe on the Pats' practice with the Saints:

Brandon Bolden

Brandon Bolden was by far the Patriots’ best and most successful RB against the Saints. Good power and vision.

So you trust every analyst in the country and everything they say? They all have connections. Have fun trying to figure out who's telling the truth every time. And he was basically a scout and finances guy...and he wasn't even good at the scouting part.
no, i don't. but i think you knew that already.

It's not just Lombardi. The Pats are having him run with the 2nd team offense. That says something: they like him. And the Patriots have no loyalty to Ridley - he was essentially put on IR after a few fumbles, despite being fresher and more productive than BJGE. If he isn't the guy, he will ride the pine. There is "something to see here". There is potential for Bolden to get carries this year, and even, while maybe not likely, start some games.

Ladell Betts, Keiland Williams, etc. Take your pick. Might be a nice handcuff for Ridley/Vereen owners, that's about it.

Seems like the more I read about this kid, and from what everyone posts, I get the sense that this isn't a situation

where any back is "entrenched". Maybe an opportunity or fumbling issues, etc would open the door.

In general, it just doesn't sound like a situation where talent is obviously the difference here. Not saying any of them have the same talents. Just that maybe there are different roles for all and the patriots are willing to use whomever gets on a positive roll.

Bolden fumbles: Undrafted RB Brandon Bolden has been one of the surprises in camp but he didn't help himself when he became the first RB to fumble in training camp. That got him a penalty lap.
IMO, he's going to be the 4th RB and will be playing special teams and spelling Ridley a few snaps at best, barring injury. The only player he beat was Addai...nothing to write home about.
Bolden's eight career fumbles in under 600 career touches in college isn't a reassuring number
Is he a player to watch? Yes...but the hype train needs to slow down.

Seems like the more I read about this kid, and from what everyone posts, I get the sense that this isn't a situationwhere any back is "entrenched". Maybe an opportunity or fumbling issues, etc would open the door.In general, it just doesn't sound like a situation where talent is obviously the difference here. Not saying any of them have the same talents. Just that maybe there are different roles for all and the patriots are willing to use whomever gets on a positive roll.
This situation is gonna be indescribable. You can't even describe the situation that you're about to get into the situation.

Seems like the more I read about this kid, and from what everyone posts, I get the sense that this isn't a situationwhere any back is "entrenched". Maybe an opportunity or fumbling issues, etc would open the door.In general, it just doesn't sound like a situation where talent is obviously the difference here. Not saying any of them have the same talents. Just that maybe there are different roles for all and the patriots are willing to use whomever gets on a positive roll.
This situation is gonna be indescribable. You can't even describe the situation that you're about to get into the situation.
Well that clears that up.

'Xue said:
Ladell Betts, Keiland Williams, etc. Take your pick. Might be a nice handcuff for Ridley/Vereen owners, that's about it.
I pick Arian Foster, Priest Holmes, or Willie Parker, please.I fully acknowledge that the chances of him being one of the above are maybe 100 times less likely than him never starting a game in the NFL. But that's what dynasty leagues are about: capitalizing on every potential for value. If Bolden is ever even a handcuff, he has value to capitalize on. If he is ever BJGE, he is an absolute homerun. There is no value in talking in such absolutes; no value in writing him off. There are plenty of reasons to be excited about Bolden - the writing is on the wall. Sure, it could never amount to anything, but again, it does no value to ignore the positive signs.

'whatadai said:
IMO, he's going to be the 4th RB and will be playing special teams and spelling Ridley a few snaps at best, barring injury. The only player he beat was Addai...nothing to write home about.
Except the people paid to write, are writing home about him.

agreed. We just need to keep the hype to a realistic level. Otherwise you will get another mammoth sized thread (Danario Alexander, Jackie Battle, etc).

agreed. We just need to keep the hype to a realistic level. Otherwise you will get another mammoth sized thread (Danario Alexander, Jackie Battle, etc).
That's just it: What is a "realistic" level?A few years ago, the "realistic" level for Foster was "Next year, people are going to be talking about this guy as a #1 overall draft pick". But it went largely ignored.just trying to perform due dilligence...maybe uncover a gem if there is a gem to be found.

That's just it: What is a "realistic" level?A few years ago, the "realistic" level for Foster was "Next year, people are going to be talking about this guy as a #1 overall draft pick". But it went largely ignored.just trying to perform due dilligence...maybe uncover a gem if there is a gem to be found.
I am valuing him as a late 2nd round pick; worth a bit more than that to the Ridley owner. I think he has a good shot to be the handcuff, and an outside shot to start at some point during the year.

'Xue said:
I pick Arian Foster, Priest Holmes, or Willie Parker, please.I fully acknowledge that the chances of him being one of the above are maybe 100 times less likely than him never starting a game in the NFL. But that's what dynasty leagues are about: capitalizing on every potential for value. If Bolden is ever even a handcuff, he has value to capitalize on. If he is ever BJGE, he is an absolute homerun. There is no value in talking in such absolutes; no value in writing him off. There are plenty of reasons to be excited about Bolden - the writing is on the wall. Sure, it could never amount to anything, but again, it does no value to ignore the positive signs.
I wasn't evaluating college players during Foster's, Holmes', and Parker's time. So I can't say what I thought about them.Foster is overrated as a pure runner. I've stated as such in other threads. He is a great receiver though. He doesn't have any special physical attributes, but what makes him great is his mental attributes.Holmes played behind one of the best O-lines of all time. Guess what? It was a ZBS just like the Texans.I don't know much about Parker's Steelers line, so I won't comment.

I wasn't evaluating college players during Foster's, Holmes', and Parker's time. So I can't say what I thought about them.Foster is overrated as a pure runner. I've stated as such in other threads. He is a great receiver though. He doesn't have any special physical attributes, but what makes him great is his mental attributes.Holmes played behind one of the best O-lines of all time. Guess what? It was a ZBS just like the Texans.I don't know much about Parker's Steelers line, so I won't comment.
I absolutely respect you using your eveluation of Bolden as a prospect to define his value. I will say this, however. Average runningbacks can have value. Below average runningbacks can have value. The Patriots turned a below average talent, in BJGE, to a RB2. In otherwords, even if you are right, and Bolden will never be a good talent, in the NFL - I still have to question actively ignoring signs that he is impressing one of the best staffs in pro-sports.

'Xue said:
You can gain value by ignoring hype. Ignoring hype on one player based on the analyst and jumping on the bandwagon of another player because of hype from another analyst could help you greatly. You could be wasting a roster spot with Bolden, which could go to another player who's being hyped up by an analyst with a better record and better knowledge of the game.

Users who are viewing this thread