What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ryan Mathews Dynasty Value (2 Viewers)

So whats the play here, the only real competition the Chargers brought in so far has been Woodhead. Unless I missed something this looks like a clear vote of confidence from the coaching staff. He's a year removed from being a top 7 redraft pick and coming off a horrible year.

Are we expecting more of the same or is he good value. I think he has high rb2 potential

Better than what almost anyone on these boards will likely say because everyone loves to dog Matthews

But it's simple. If he avoids injury, he can easily be a top back in fantasy. He's done that. He has also been a crappy back due to injury.

I'm going to be one of those people that doesn't say I assume he will be hurt and say I think he ends up as the 17-20th best back this year with no surprise if it closer to 12th.

Better than what almost anyone on these boards will likely say because everyone loves to dog Matthews But it's simple. If he avoids injury, he can easily be a top back in fantasy. He's done that. He has also been a crappy back due to injury. I'm going to be one of those people that doesn't say I assume he will be hurt and say I think he ends up as the 17-20th best back this year with no surprise if it closer to 12th.
I'm with you. It's weird that he had the same break on both sides, and potentially concerning, but in general my risk discounts are among the smallest you'll find, so I still wind up being one of the highest staffers on Mathews (3rd highest at the moment). He's my 16th best dynasty back right now, and honestly, the deterioration of the Chargers is at least as concerning to me as the injury history. Still, he makes a strong rb2 as one of the few potential workhorses in the league, and there's a solid chance he winds up just crushing everyone's expectations.

Solid RB2. He's got a rare size/speed combo, but runs a bit stiff (not elusive) and takes too many hits as a result. Durability has always been an issue for him and that's unlikely to change.

I've bought him in a couple leagues this offseason. Not a huge fan necessarily, but he's a decent value right now.

25 years old. Former top 15 pick. 4.37 speed at 218 pounds. A year removed from a top 10 finish.

You could do a lot worse at his current price tag.

I traded Stepfan Taylor and a late 2014 1st for Mathews....added him for depth my # 4 rb and still young at 25 so I liked his upside for that price

If he stays healthy, he's a lock for top 10, simple as that.

He has many haters because he was a 1st, 2nd round pick in Dyno startups last year and burned too many, myself included.

He's no more an injury risk than McFadden or Murray yet both have more perceived value.

Mathews is a 3 down back that catches well.

If he stays healthy, he's a lock for top 10, simple as that. He has many haters because he was a 1st, 2nd round pick in Dyno startups last year and burned too many, myself included. He's no more an injury risk than McFadden or Murray yet both have more perceived value. Mathews is a 3 down back that catches well.
There wasn't even a 3 game stretch where he put up close to top 10 numbers. And for a 3 down back, he hardly played any 3rd downs in 2012. Explain that?

If he stays healthy, he's a lock for top 10, simple as that.He has many haters because he was a 1st, 2nd round pick in Dyno startups last year and burned too many, myself included.He's no more an injury risk than McFadden or Murray yet both have more perceived value.Mathews is a 3 down back that catches well.
There wasn't even a 3 game stretch where he put up close to top 10 numbers. And for a 3 down back, he hardly played any 3rd downs in 2012. Explain that?
Wasn't he top 10 in 2011?

I was referring to 2012, but every Mathews backer likes to point to 2011. Understandable, but he was in a timeshare with Tolbert doing most of the heavy lifting. The 2 years he was expected to carry the mail by himself, he failed miserably.

Anyone who thinks Mathews is getting passing down work over Woodhead in obvious passing situations is kidding themselves. Mathews is not a 3-down RB. And with his injury history, why would SD try to force him to be one, when they've got an elite receiving option (as far as RBBC guys go) in Woodhead?

If he stays healthy, he's a lock for top 10, simple as that.He has many haters because he was a 1st, 2nd round pick in Dyno startups last year and burned too many, myself included.He's no more an injury risk than McFadden or Murray yet both have more perceived value.Mathews is a 3 down back that catches well.
I've never owned him in my life but I've seen enough of him now to say he's injury prone, not an every down back and fumbles too much. He's not worthless yet but he's not trusted by the team and probably won't be trusted anywhere else either when (yes, when) he leaves.

Solid RB2. He's got a rare size/speed combo, but runs a bit stiff (not elusive) and takes too many hits as a result. Durability has always been an issue for him and that's unlikely to change.

I've bought him in a couple leagues this offseason. Not a huge fan necessarily, but he's a decent value right now.

25 years old. Former top 15 pick. 4.37 speed at 218 pounds. A year removed from a top 10 finish.

You could do a lot worse at his current price tag.
He's a very talented athlete but I believe he lacks the instincts to be a RB. I think he could be very successful somewhere that opens up massive holes, but even then he'll frustrate the coach with his lousy decision making. If someone wants to take a shot on him with a late 1st, I get it, but I don't like his future prospects.

I've seen enough of him now to say he's injury prone, not an every down back and fumbles too much.
He had 2 fumbles in 223 touches last season. And going back to 2011, he had 5 fumbles that season, but only 1 in his last 108 touches. The Chargers completely overreacted to his first fumble last season, and it led them to completely mishandle his role and usage last year. He only played 51.6% of the offensive snaps in the games he played in last season. He should have played much more.

I disagree that he is not an every down back. There is no situation that requires him to be removed. He proved in 2011 that he can make a very strong contribution in the passing game, when he caught 50 passes for 455 yards (9.1 ypr), and his pass blocking is good enough. Pro Football Focus ranked him as the 16th best RB in the league last season, with positive ratings in all of their categories (running, receiving, blocking, penalties). His productivity (ypc, ypr) slipped last season, but there is no reason to think he won't rebound this year.

IMO Mathews' season last year was better than it looks at first glance. He was #22 in the league in yards after contact, and everyone with more except Deangelo Williams had a lot more carries than Mathews. He averaged 2.6 yards after contact last year, tied with Gore for #19 in the league. He was tied for #16 in the league in missed tackles (tackles broken or avoided). PFF ranked him as #11 in the league last season in its elusive rating, which attempts to measure a runner's success independent of blocking.

And, speaking of blocking, the Chargers' run blocking last season was awful. PFF ranked it at #28 in the league. Football Outsiders ranked it at #23 in the league. It should be a lot better with Fluker and Starks, and with Clary at guard. That should help Mathews a lot.

I still think he has good dynasty potential. I just finished a startup in which I drafted him as the 27th RB taken. I think that is excellent value.

If he stays healthy, he's a lock for top 10, simple as that. He has many haters because he was a 1st, 2nd round pick in Dyno startups last year and burned too many, myself included. He's no more an injury risk than McFadden or Murray yet both have more perceived value. Mathews is a 3 down back that catches well.
Last season the Charges were a mess. The year before he was # 7 rb in ppr. I look to that year vs. the season where he came back from a broken collar bone ect. Mathews got less than 10 carries on third downs all year. The new coaching staff I don't believe will make that mistake.And to the guy that said he would be pulled for Danny Woodhead on 3rd downs that made me lol. Those two are not close.I'm sure Woodhead will spell in but he's not the 3rd down backAllot went wrong for Mathews last year however, he has shown he can be a top 10 back when healthy. Add new additions to the offense line and a more stable receiving core he should enjoy success similar to the 2011 season.

Last edited by a moderator:
He plays the computer game WOW all the time, he's a lost cause who gets fat all offseason playing video games. He got his contract before the rookie caps, he's set for life and doesn't care.

Happily cutting bait with him dynasty-wise. Let someone else have the joy of owning him.

If it bites me in the ###, so be it.

Happily cutting bait with him dynasty-wise. Let someone else have the joy of owning him.

If it bites me in the ###, so be it.
I am riding this out. Drafted him # 1 in my rookie draft several years ago, and I will keep him until he is out of the nfl (which very well could be in 2 years).

I have several friends who are close with Ryan. He has shown very little work ethic to anyone since turning pro.

Some of us thought his "party" style was a fad and there was a good chance he would grow out of it. We haven't noticed a change.

Personally I really like his natural abilities, and was willing to overlook (and not even mention it originally) his lack of due diligence for football, but we are 3 years in now.

He could blossom. But there are several other RBs I would take a shot on in the top 20 long before Ryan.

Rookie year= 678 yards 4.3 YPC 7 TD, 22 rec 145 yards

2nd year = 1091 yards 4.9 YPC 6 TD, 50 rec 455 yards

3rd year = 707 yards 3.8 YPC 1 TD, 39 rec 252 yards

Digging deeper

rushes of 10+

Rookie year= 17 (158 carries)

2nd year= 35 (222 carries)

3rd year= 14 (184 carries)

games 1-8 of 2012: 95 carries at 4.4 YPC

games 9-16 of 2012: 89 carries at 3.2 YPC

Looking at the YPC, the TD, the lack of 10+ yard runs, and the splits of 1st/2nd half of 2012. It looks like 2012 is a clear outlier to his NFL career.

Anyone who thinks Mathews is getting passing down work over Woodhead in obvious passing situations is kidding themselves. Mathews is not a 3-down RB. And with his injury history, why would SD try to force him to be one, when they've got an elite receiving option (as far as RBBC guys go) in Woodhead?
Anyone that would call Woodhead elite at anything is kidding themselves!

Same can be said of Mathews. He lost snaps to Jack Battle, mike Tolbert, and Ronnie brown throughout his career. Not worldbeaters by any stretch. To ignore Woodhead, who is a very good 3rd down rb, is being nothing more than stubborn.

Maybe throw on a few Patriots games and take another look. I've seen almost every game he's played, he's severely underrated. And on top of the receiving ability and production, he has an elite athletic profile as well.

Maybe throw on a few Patriots games and take another look. I've seen almost every game he's played, he's severely underrated. And on top of the receiving ability and production, he has an elite athletic profile as well.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/16/signature-stats-elusive-rating/

:bs: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/16/signature-stats-elusive-rating/
Is elusiveness, measured by PFF, the most important factor in grading a RB now? Huh. Interesting.It has no bearing on what I was talking about, but where does Mathews fall here? Just wondering.

ConnSKINS26 said:
FF Ninja said:
ConnSKINS26 said:
Yitbos69 said:
ConnSKINS26 said:
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/16/signature-stats-elusive-rating/
Is elusiveness, measured by PFF, the most important factor in grading a RB now? Huh. Interesting.It has no bearing on what I was talking about, but where does Mathews fall here? Just wondering.
Mathews was #20 in 2012 and #19 in 2011, if the qualifying threshold is 25% of offensive snaps. Raising the cutoff to 50% of offensive snaps puts him at #11 in 2012 and #9 in 2011.

ConnSKINS26 said:
FF Ninja said:
ConnSKINS26 said:
Yitbos69 said:
ConnSKINS26 said:
No, I would suggest taking it with a grain of salt, but elite players don't finish last on that list. That is typically reserved for players of the ilk of a 32 year old Thomas Jones.

Woodhead is nothing more than a potential 3rd down back. Which is fine for Mathews owners because he will easily surpass 40, maybe 50 receptions without third downs if he plays 16 games.

FF Ninja, on 28 May 2013 - 07:57, said:

ConnSKINS26 said:
ConnSKINS26, on 27 May 2013 - 21:42, said:

FF Ninja said:
FF Ninja, on 27 May 2013 - 16:22, said:

ConnSKINS26 said:
ConnSKINS26, on 27 May 2013 - 12:15, said:

Yitbos69 said:
Yitbos69, on 27 May 2013 - 08:12, said:

ConnSKINS26 said:
ConnSKINS26, on 26 May 2013 - 12:54, said:

No, I would suggest taking it with a grain of salt, but elite players don't finish last on that list. That is typically reserved for players of the ilk of a 32 year old Thomas Jones.

Woodhead is nothing more than a potential 3rd down back. Which is fine for Mathews owners because he will easily surpass 40, maybe 50 receptions without third downs if he plays 16 games.
I have a hard time finding much meaningful or predictive information in that stat. Rice was near the bottom in 2011. Forster and Charles down there in 2012. I don't think they have quite figured out a way to assess the value of a RB.

FF Ninja, on 28 May 2013 - 07:57, said:

ConnSKINS26 said:
ConnSKINS26, on 27 May 2013 - 21:42, said:

FF Ninja said:
FF Ninja, on 27 May 2013 - 16:22, said:

ConnSKINS26 said:
ConnSKINS26, on 27 May 2013 - 12:15, said:

Yitbos69 said:
Yitbos69, on 27 May 2013 - 08:12, said:

ConnSKINS26 said:
ConnSKINS26, on 26 May 2013 - 12:54, said:

No, I would suggest taking it with a grain of salt, but elite players don't finish last on that list. That is typically reserved for players of the ilk of a 32 year old Thomas Jones.Woodhead is nothing more than a potential 3rd down back. Which is fine for Mathews owners because he will easily surpass 40, maybe 50 receptions without third downs if he plays 16 games.
I have a hard time finding much meaningful or predictive information in that stat. Rice was near the bottom in 2011. Forster and Charles down there in 2012. I don't think they have quite figured out a way to assess the value of a RB.
Ya, this is the same system that rated LeGarrette Blount as the most elusive back in the league just two years ago. That alone is pretty indicative of the worthlessness of this PFF stat, and the fact that it does not project future success. It actually just muddies the water, adding a new level of confusion when analyzing talent.

Chargers' Ryan Mathews: I've been just an average RB

By Marc Sessler

Around the League Writer

Ryan Mathews has been a source of frustration for San Diego Chargers fans from the beginning of his underwhelming NFL career, but some have taken it too far.

Especially on Twitter.

"I've had people say they hope me and my mom get AIDS and die," Mathews told Kevin Acee of U-T San Diego on Wednesday.

Vitriolic tweets are a new and unwelcome phenomena for the modern athlete, but Mathews would catch heat for his play in any era.

To be fair, he marched into a tough scenario in San Diego. Drafted 12th overall in 2010, he was touted as the heir apparent to LaDainian Tomlinson, but durability and fumbling issues have shrunk those expectations.

"So far, what I've done right now, I've been just an average back," Mathews said. "I got a lot of people just frustrated with my performance in the last few years. They expected me to come in and do big things. And I expect myself to."

Mathews sports a solid 4.4 yards per carry average over 32 starts, but he hasn't been able to stay healthy enough to cement himself as an unquestioned starter. His three seasons have included a nasty sprained ankle and a twice-broken collarbone.

Still, general manager Tom Telesco said last month that he expects "big things" from Mathews, who he labeled a "bellcow" back. Former Chargers coach Norv Turner lost patience with Mathews, but an offseason regime change has furnished the runner with another chance -- probably his last in San Diego.

Follow Marc Sessler on Twitter @MarcSesslerNFL.

I own Mathews in both leagues I play in....his value is so low that it is not worth dealing him right now. I am personally hoping he starts the season well and I am able to deal him for an upgrade at other positions.

I like Mathews this year. Drafting him about the 4-5 round as a #2

Stay healthy Ryan!!!!
He's the only bellcow back you're going to find available that late. I'm targeting him for sure. The talent is there. The offense can't possibly be worse. The only question is health. If he's healthy, he'll easily outperform his RB23 pricetag.

from NFL.com (nice props to the Footballguys "The Audible" podcast):

Ryan Mathews not viewed as Chargers' three-down RB

By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

Ryan Mathews recently acknowledged that he's been "just an average back" since the San Diego Chargers traded up to select him at No. 12 overall in the 2010 NFL Draft.

He's gotten no argument from frustrated fantasy football leaguers or the Chargers' top beat writer.

Michael Gehlken said Tuesday on Footballguys.com's "The Audible" podcast that he had picked up on a "pretty clear sense" toward the end of last season that Mathews would never become the player the Chargers envisioned when they drafted him.

Former general manager A.J. Smith drafted Mathews to be a three-down workhorse, but "you can count the number of third-down receptions he's had in his career on two hands," Gehlken said. Norv Turner's coaching staff never trusted Mathews' pass protection or route running in high-leverage third-down or two-minute drill situations.

The new regime has talked up Mathews as a potential "bellcow back" who needs more help from the offensive line and a bigger role in the passing game.

The front office's actions suggest otherwise. With veteran Ronnie Brown already on the roster, the Bolts signed passing-down specialist Danny Woodhead away from the New England Patriots. Outside of Vincent Brown and perhaps Philip Rivers, Woodhead was the Chargers' most impressive player in spring practices.

"So Woodhead is going to be a big part of this thing," Gehlken said. "Woodhead is just better in a lot of areas than Ryan Mathews.

Mathews still has a chance to carve out a career as a solid early-down back if he can shake the injury bug, but the Bolts seem to have come to grips with his limitations. He's not going to be the perennial Pro Bowl player Smith once envisioned.

Follow Chris Wesseling on Twitter @ChrisWesseling.

Rotoworld companion piece:

The Union-Tribune San Diego's Michael Gehlken reiterated that Danny Woodhead is going to be a "big part" of the Chargers' offense.

"So Woodhead is going to be a big part of this thing," Gehlken said. "Woodhead is just better in a lot of areas than Ryan Mathews." The new Chargers regime has talked up Mathews as a "bellcow back" capable of playing all three downs, but they wouldn't have brought in Woodhead and re-signed Ronnie Brown if they felt that comfortable with Mathews. Woodhead is purely a flex option in standard leagues, but his value jumps considerably in PPR formats.

Related: Ryan Mathews

Source: NFL.com

Rotoworld:

According to the Union-Tribune San Diego, it's "fairly common knowledge" that Ryan Mathews frequents bars and nightclubs "even at times and dates that show questionable judgment."
Mathews was not arrested as originally reported by Examiner.com early Monday, but he's no stranger to the nightclub scene, from which U-T San Diego columnist and longtime Chargers beat reporter Kevin Acee believes Mathews needs a "wakeup" call. Mathews has been perhaps the NFL's most disappointing player since the Chargers traded up for him at 12th overall in the 2010 draft.

Source: Union-Tribune San Diego

Rotoworld:

According to the Union-Tribune San Diego, it's "fairly common knowledge" that Ryan Mathews frequents bars and nightclubs "even at times and dates that show questionable judgment."
Mathews was not arrested as originally reported by Examiner.com early Monday, but he's no stranger to the nightclub scene, from which U-T San Diego columnist and longtime Chargers beat reporter Kevin Acee believes Mathews needs a "wakeup" call. Mathews has been perhaps the NFL's most disappointing player since the Chargers traded up for him at 12th overall in the 2010 draft.

Really?

That's a huge stretch Rotoworld.

Having said that, it would be nice if this guy would get serious. This isn't the first time I've heard rumblings about his work ethic and desire.

Rotoworld:

Really?

That's a huge stretch Rotoworld.

Having said that, it would be nice if this guy would get serious. This isn't the first time I've heard rumblings about his work ethic and desire.
Par for the Mathews course at this point.,

Users who are viewing this thread