What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Build a FRANCHISE draft year 2 (1 Viewer)

AwesomeAuger

Footballguy
The Super Bowl has been played and that means it's time for the Build a FRANCHISE draft. The concept is simple. All of the current NFL players are thrown into a draft and 32 teams will be drafting 53 players each in a Madden-style draft with the goal of building the best Franchise considering both the short and long term. There are no salary caps. This draft is an exercise of acquiring the best talent.

I think most of the previous owners agreed last year that drafting rookies was used as a crutch and drafters were taking them as lottery tickets. Therefore, I propose that we have a separate rookie draft afterwards where draft order will be the reverse of the main draft order. The third round reversal in the main draft will still probably occur but that's open to discussion.

The draft clock will run on weekdays from 9 am to 5 pm in your time zone (so if you claim a team be sure to mention your time zone!). There will be no clock during the weekend but picks can still be made. The offseason lasts a LONG time so let's try to avoid skipping picks and being flexible.

If you want to join the draft, please state the primary team you would like to draft for and a secondary team if you are willing to take a second one. Don't forget to include your time zone also.

Arizona Cardinals - Nate Blough
Atlanta Falcons - @Zander642
Baltimore Ravens - 8ebok24
Buffalo Bills - Nate Blough
Carolina Panthers - Instinctive
Chicago Bears - Whicker
Cincinnati Bengals - bleachercreacher
Cleveland Browns Soulfly3
Dallas Cowboys - mlbnfl
Denver Broncos - seahawk 17
Detroit Lions - FUBAR
Green Bay Packers - Seahawk 17
Houston Texans - Meecrob
Indianapolis Colts - Pimpin Joe
Jacksonville Jaguars - @MaglieNBANFLMLB
Kansas City Chiefs - Skeletore Eh
Miami Dolphins - RBM
Minnesota Vikings - 8ebok24
New England Patriots - Whitney26
New Orleans Saints - AwesomeAuger

New York Giants - egoo
New York Jets - @ndow88
Oakland Raiders - Ruemie
Philadelphia Eagles - Late225
Pittsburgh Steelers - tennesseeTitans
San Diego Chargers - Instinctive
San Francisco 49ers -
@organizdchaos52 codizzle
Seattle Seahawks - Nucker101
St. Louis Rams - Whoosah
Tampa Bay Buccaneers - deadlyrange0321
Tennessee Titans - FUBAR

Washington Redskins - AwesomeAuger - Writeup

I am going to be drafting for the Redskins and the Saints and am EST.

Link to draft results:

http://football99.myfantasyleague.com/2014/options?L=60896&O=17

Year 1 thread:

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=678422

Last edited by a moderator:
Scratch that - if I recall, it was tough enough to handle one team. I'll take the Eagles this year though.

I'll take the Bears again. Prefer one team but if it gets down to the wire and it's needed, I'll take a second.

Good call on the rookies being seperate.

I'll take the browns.

eastern time.

unsure of exactly how this works, but Im in

eta: what site will this be run from?

Soulfly3 said:
I'll take the browns.

eastern time.

Last year we announced picks in the thread and updated a Google Doc to track the picks. As far as I know, there isn't any software/site that would facilitate this.

I had to be replaced last year due to some unforeseen circumstances but I'd love to take over a team from the start. My Eagles are gone so ill take the Seahawks since I live in Vancouver and if they're unavailable then I'll go with the Niners.

Pacific time zone.

Titans and Lions - just like last year. Eastern Time Zone.

Agreed with having the rookies separate. Either do rookies opposite of vet order and not the 3rd round reversal, or have us draft, do a Madden sim, and draft rookies based off that sim. Not sure how hard that would be though.

Ill throw my hat in the ring for the Dallas Cowboys and I'm eastern standard time. Sorry if I missed will there be some simulation or some form or comparing teams after the fact?

Ill throw my hat in the ring for the Dallas Cowboys and I'm eastern standard time. Sorry if I missed will there be some simulation or some form or comparing teams after the fact?
Last year we were lucky enough to have one of the drafters do a Madden simulation after inputting all of the teams. I tried to gather a judging panel but was only able to get one "expert" from Matt Waldman's version of this draft and that fell through. Hopefully this year we will be able to get a judging panel together. I bet Cian would still be down to do it.

Last year we were lucky enough to have one of the drafters do a Madden simulation after inputting all of the teams. I tried to gather a judging panel but was only able to get one "expert" from Matt Waldman's version of this draft and that fell through. Hopefully this year we will be able to get a judging panel together. I bet Cian would still be down to do it.
Yeah hopefully a judging panel would probably be most accurate but Im sure it would be a lot of work for whomever agreed, if enough did. My only thought is one low Madden rating of your 1st/2nd rounder or Madden not placing enough value on certain positions (versus real life), but theres no best solution really. The funs in the drafting anyways so Im looking forward to it.

Soulfly3 said:
I'll take the browns.

eastern time.

Last year we announced picks in the thread and updated a Google Doc to track the picks. As far as I know, there isn't any software/site that would facilitate this.
I planned on building some type of software for this, but didn't get a chance to. Maybe I can get something up before this starts.

I'll take GB. PST.

It would be cool to have both a panel and Madden.

Why not just get 32 Madden players/owners to do an online draft and play the season out and everything?! I'd definitely do that if we had enough interest.

Why not just get 32 Madden players/owners to do an online draft and play the season out and everything?! I'd definitely do that if we had enough interest.
Not meaning to sound like its a big deal by somewhat bringing it up again as were all doing this for fun anyways but my fear with that would be that I could, for instance, just wait on something very important like Oline and just wait until there are only overrated (in terms of Madden rating) OL left rated in the high 70s/low 80s or something and be much better off as opposed to someone who may place a priority on OLine as they are likely much more important in real life football vs Madden. Again its not a big deal and I think the main fun is just the drafting itself and the commentary that ensues, and not who is declared the "winner" or anything of the sort, just my thoughts. That said, not sure well have a better option then Madden sim. Anyways looking forward to getting this filled and seeing how it goes.

I'll take the Bengals and I'm in the eastern time zone. If anyone else has to have the Bengals, I'd be open to switching to another team. Also, if needed, I'll take a second team.

Many of us don't have Madden. I'd have to be out if that's the way this goes.

Many of us don't have Madden. I'd have to be out if that's the way this goes.
It was just an idea. Maybe thats another league altogether.
That would be a fun idea but drafting a Madden team and drafting a Franchise as if it were a real team is completely different. Madden does not account for leadership, scheme, and many other factors. Logistically, if we did do a Madden league and played it out, drafters most likely would not have time for two teams which would mean we would need 32 different participants. It may be possible to get that many solid, active participants but 16-20ish would be easier to get. Also, I don't want to make owning Madden a requirement to participate in this draft.

Thanks for running it this year, last year was quite a task.

In as a drafter.

Vikings and Ravens. EST.

Getting cell phone numbers and texting people when they were up was huge last year.

I highly recommend we do that again.

Im in again. Ill take the Bills since someone stole my Redskins :(

cell 814-329-1758

if you want I can take 2 teams - give me arizona.

Also, we culd do this easir and run it on myfantasyleague. I brought that up last yr but no one wanted to. I think it wpuld make life so much easier as far as keeping track. I can set the league up as needed.

Also, we culd do this easir and run it on myfantasyleague. I brought that up last yr but no one wanted to. I think it wpuld make life so much easier as far as keeping track. I can set the league up as needed.
Is MFL free? If not how much does it cost?

I'd be open to adding a head coach position. What does everybody think?

I'll play again. I will take the Rams since my Bears are taken.

BTW - any chance we can get a review on how our teams did overall last year? Might help on who was hit on some players and whatnot.

I am very curious considering I had Nick Foles as my starting QB =P

I'll play again. I will take the Rams since my Bears are taken.

BTW - any chance we can get a review on how our teams did overall last year? Might help on who was hit on some players and whatnot.

I am very curious considering I had Nick Foles as my starting QB =P
Foles, in my opinion, was easily the steal of the draft last year! Congrats. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I tried to get a judging panel together last year after the draft was complete but was only able to get one judge. This year, I'll try to be more active in getting a judging panel together. As for reviewing teams from last year currently, maybe a couple of the current participants would be willing to go back to grade teams? I'd be willing to at some point during the weekend.

I am going to set up the league for drafting and so we can keep track on MFL. If everyone can post their email so I can send league invites. I am setting it up and will send invites tonight.

...and add head coach drafting.
:yes: but can we draft anyone we want to be the Head Coach? Hypothetically, could we draft Dungy / Cowher etc?
If we go down this path, I would say so. I think the drafter would have to consider the coach's motivation though. Sure Cowher was a good coach but does he have anything left in the tank? Enough to lead a team to the Super Bowl?

Sounds like for the head coach idea so far, we have 4 people who say yes and nobody who opposes it.

I'm in. I'd take the Raiders 1st and the Jagz as my secondary, although I don't want to draft 2 teams. MST

As for the 3 RR + rookie draft, I would vote if there are NO head coaches in the draft, we have 3 RR + reverse order for rookie draft. Getting a franchise QB is a huge advantage for the early picks.

If we do have head coaches, I think that balances out the number of "elite" selections" and I would vote no 3 RR + reverse order for rookie draft.

:yes: but can we draft anyone we want to be the Head Coach? Hypothetically, could we draft Dungy / Cowher etc?
If we go down this path, I would say so. I think the drafter would have to consider the coach's motivation though. Sure Cowher was a good coach but does he have anything left in the tank? Enough to lead a team to the Super Bowl?

Sounds like for the head coach idea so far, we have 4 people who say yes and nobody who opposes it.
Truth be told I think Id lean just generic coach for each team as Im more into it for building the actual team and obviously if you want a good coach you may pick on early (assuming theyd be in the draft pool?) but then youd kind of have to mold your team based on the coach or hear about how your players don't fit their scheme etc. Not a huge issue either way though. Hope Im not coming off like Ill be a pain in the ### lol just excited to get this going and keep checking the thread and figure id chime in.

Truth be told I think Id lean just generic coach for each team as Im more into it for building the actual team and obviously if you want a good coach you may pick on early (assuming theyd be in the draft pool?) but then youd kind of have to mold your team based on the coach or hear about how your players don't fit their scheme etc. Not a huge issue either way though. Hope Im not coming off like Ill be a pain in the ### lol just excited to get this going and keep checking the thread and figure id chime in.
You're not coming across as a pain. :)

The 4 of us who voted yes on the issue so far were in the draft last year. Maybe I'm speaking for myself, but I am assuming we like the extra layer of depth and strategy of having this new "position." I think all of us would be happy to do this draft head coach or not.

You're not coming across as a pain. :)

The 4 of us who voted yes on the issue so far were in the draft last year. Maybe I'm speaking for myself, but I am assuming we like the extra layer of depth and strategy of having this new "position." I think all of us would be happy to do this draft head coach or not.
I'm not in favor of the head coach "position" involved in the draft. I'd prefer to draft to fit for my own theoretical schemes than force myself into drafting for a coach's style or a coach's scheme at an early juncture.

I'll take the browns.

eastern time.

I planned on building some type of software for this, but didn't get a chance to. Maybe I can get something up before this starts.
hurry up man, we dont have all offseason... :hifive:

Users who are viewing this thread