What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bills RBs- *Update* Brown Looked Good Week 10 (1 Viewer)

Hoss Style

Footballguy
This could be a nice pick up for Fantasy if both Jackson & Spiller are out for a long time (the year?) (*Edit* Spiller has a broken collarbone)

Brown has not even been active at points, but Bills fans have said it's because he doesn't play Special Teams.

Dixon does, and when Spiller & Jackson were healthy, they didn't need Brown taking up space.

I've always liked Brown, and think he can be their starting RB.

Do they bring in someone else? Stick with Brown? Or maybe I'm not giving Dixon enough credit?

I see a Summers on the roster. I don't know crap about him. Anything to see here?

Last edited by a moderator:
I know no one cares, but I was starting both of these guys in a 16 team league. Spiller was not doing well for me, but I figured Fred was fine and if either got hurt I'd have 1 good starter. Not planning on both of them getting hurt in the same game... This sucks.

This was officially the day the careers of the entire Bills coaching staff died. This team will not win another game this season. It will likely be a fantasy wasteland but Bryce is still worth adding. Just don't expect much. This franchise is cursed. Hopefully Pegula can bring in somebody competent.

Hoping the Dolphins can put together a solid campaign so a garbage Pats team isn't gifted another division title.

This was officially the day the careers of the entire Bills coaching staff died. This team will not win another game this season. It will likely be a fantasy wasteland but Bryce is still worth adding. Just don't expect much. This franchise is cursed. Hopefully Pegula can bring in somebody competent.

Hoping the Dolphins can put together a solid campaign so a garbage Pats team isn't gifted another division title.
what are you talking about?

IMO, Bryce Brown slots into the "Spiller-role" and Dixon slots into the Jackson role. However, I'm not sure Dixon is the receiver that Jackson is so as long as Brown doesn't suck at pass pro, he should see more work on passing downs. Probably will remain a 50/50 shared workload unless Brown just can really emerge as he has lots of upside if the line can play better.

IMO, Bryce Brown slots into the "Spiller-role" and Dixon slots into the Jackson role. However, I'm not sure Dixon is the receiver that Jackson is so as long as Brown doesn't suck at pass pro, he should see more work on passing downs. Probably will remain a 50/50 shared workload unless Brown just can really emerge as he has lots of upside if the line can play better.
Good info, here.

I'm about to drop a load of cash on Brown, but want to know as much as possible about the "other guys". Who is the "Summers" guy? Just filler for ST?

Good info, here.

I'm about to drop a load of cash on Brown, but want to know as much as possible about the "other guys". Who is the "Summers" guy? Just filler for ST?
Summers is their fullback. Not a legitimate option to run or catch much.

Exactly what "Spiller" role is Brown slotting into? Returning kicks and 8 ish carries between the tackles?

Exactly what "Spiller" role is Brown slotting into? Returning kicks and 8 ish carries between the tackles?
that's why it put it in quotes. without Jackson around, there's an opportunity for that to be bigger. plus, I think it's not a stretch to expect Brown to do a bit better than Spiller has been doing with his touches. He looked great in the preseason.

That may have been a little dramatic but is it fair to say that Marrone's job was on the line today?

Why then isn't the answer here just Dixon?

Because of Brown's superior talent?

That may have been a little dramatic but is it fair to say that Marrone's job was on the line today?
not IMO, no.

Pegula isn't going to fire the head coach a week or two after taking over with a 3-4 record.

Dixon is pretty good and the coaches obviously feel comfortable with him out there. Brown is more explosive.

It just seemed like in the preseason, they were treating Dixon as Jackson's backup and Brown as Spiller's backup. I expect some of that to continue.

that's why it put it in quotes. without Jackson around, there's an opportunity for that to be bigger. plus, I think it's not a stretch to expect Brown to do a bit better than Spiller has been doing with his touches. He looked great in the preseason.
I don't think it's a stretch either. But there really wasn't ever a "Spiller role". Unless you mean to misuse a player, in which case one might expect Brown to be split out wide or something ridiculous.

This coaching staff is terrible IMO. They wasted Spiller (and I know you don't agree based on past posts, that's fine, no need to debate that further) and I understand Dixon has been active based on his special teams play. But now they are down to 2 RB's, one might expect the more dynamic RB-who hasn't been active all year, to get a lot of play. If Brown is indeed in the "Spiller role", which has basically been a k/o returner and breather back, then that would more misusage. Dixon is an uninspiring pounder who was only active due to special teams. We'll see what happens I guess.

not IMO, no.Pegula isn't going to fire the head coach a week or two after taking over with a 3-4 record.
I agree with this, I don't see him getting fired this year, or even next year. Buffalo has another year of mediocrity to look forward to, likely a 7-9 or at best 8-8 record.

Dixon is pretty good and the coaches obviously feel comfortable with him out there. Brown is more explosive.It just seemed like in the preseason, they were treating Dixon as Jackson's backup and Brown as Spiller's backup. I expect some of that to continue.
I don't at all agree that Dixon is "pretty good". As I understand it, he's only even been active due to special teams. He never climbed higher than 3rd on the 'niners depth chart and (I think?) was cut by them. He's a bit of a plodder and offers little playmaking ability IMO. Apparently the Bills coaching staff values the 3 yards and a cloud of dust though.

I don't at all agree that Dixon is "pretty good". As I understand it, he's only even been active due to special teams. He never climbed higher than 3rd on the 'niners depth chart and (I think?) was cut by them. He's a bit of a plodder and offers little playmaking ability IMO. Apparently the Bills coaching staff values the 3 yards and a cloud of dust though.
I'd say being a plodder was probably his reputation prior to this year from his time in San Francisco, but he looked pretty fast on that 47-yard run against the Bears in the opener, and pretty athletic on this play against the Patriots last week.

for a 3rd string RB, I'd say he's pretty good. not a guy you want as your feature back, but he can help out in a few ways on offense or special teams.

They wasted Spiller (and I know you don't agree based on past posts, that's fine, no need to debate that further)
Not sure I disagree with this. I just think Spiller is at least partly to blame for his struggles, but I do wish the coaches could have figured out how to use him better. I never understood why he wasn't out there as a receiver or even in the backfield (with Freddy) on passing downs. Don't like taking one of your best playmakers off the field in key downs. Very frustrating to see how he was used, but I also think the very reliable play of Fred Jackson has made it easier to stomach.

However, while Spiller is out for the season with a broken collarbone, the news concerning his teammate isn’t nearly as bad. Jackson is likely to be out at least two weeks with a groin sprain, although this includes the Bills bye in week nine.

As reported by NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport, Jackson has advised people he is targeting the November 9th game against the Kansas City Chiefs as his return date. The worst case scenario has the 33-year old missing a maximum of four weeks.
http://tipofthetower.com/2014/10/20/buffalo-bills-fred-jackson-miss-maximum-four-games/

So to be clear this scenario is FJax is out. Then the Bills are @ NYJ, bye, whereupon Fred could return or he could be out another 2 weeks, then vs KC, then @Mia.

Dixon came in for Westbrook in SF in 2010 a couple times as a rookie, and his best games were 14/54/1, 9/33/0, 14/60/0, 11/22/0, with a couple receptions thrown in there. He is a career 3.4 ypc runner, though he did have 5.1 ypc in just 27 carries last year with BUF. His 13/51/0 stat line vs MIN yesterday was pretty typically for his career, though the 4/15/0 receiving was his best ever. A former 6th round pick, he was supposed to be the "thunder" to Westbrook's "lightning." I think Dixon has been here and the upside is pretty limited.

We know what Brown can do and Spiller is out for the year.

is it possible when Fred comes back, it's almost all Fred on gameday, then Dixon spelling him and Brown relegated back to 3rd string for whatever reason they have for keeping him shelved?

is it possible when Fred comes back, it's almost all Fred on gameday, then Dixon spelling him and Brown relegated back to 3rd string for whatever reason they have for keeping him shelved?
sure but how healthy will he be?

Looking at the situation I think it's ripe for giving Brown a big shot to see if he's the guy they dealt for. They had both Spiller and FJax and still made a move for him so they liked him a lot and now the deck has been cleared and he can have his shot. To me Dixon is just a guy but if there's a guy that can make a differece or provide some value from the backfield I'd definitely put my chips on Brown far above Dixon.

listening to Siriux XM fantasy radio and they just had some quotes from Dixon that seemed to indicate that he thinks he's the guy and this is the opportunity he's been waiting for...no clue what exactly that means but thought I'd share it.

i haven't watched dixon much this year, but he seems to be productive in limited reps... brown seems to be obviously faster but more raw. i would think slotting dixon as fred jax and brown as spiller is reasonable... with a lean more towards dixon perhaps the first week or so

Perhaps we will get more clarity on the situation as the week progresses, but my early feeling is Dixon might be the play. Brown is known for his propensity to bounce everything to the outside, for always looking for the home run. The Bills this year have relied more and more on Jackson because of Spiller doing the exact same thing. So much so in fact that the OC commented last week on the team being frustrated with Spiller's running style, and his perpetual desire to come up with the big play rather than take the 3 yards that are blocked.

Now, I didn't watch the pre-season, so I cannot speak to how Brown ran then, but if he is still constantly bouncing runs and looking for the big play, I would not be surprised at all if the team just sticks with the predictable Dixon, and uses Brown as the CoP back.

Again, this is just looking at the styles of the backs in question, and how the team has handled similar backs so far this year.

have to imagine Brown has watched Spiller struggle like we all have and will hopefully learn from that a bit.

also, Fred Jackson knows what's up.

Jackson, during his weekly radio spot on WGR-AM in Buffalo, confirmed that his injury will not require surgery and the timeline for recovery typically lasts four weeks. Jackson added that the team has the utmost confidence in Brown to carry the load.

"He's an every-down back," Jackson said, per the Bills' official Twitter account. "He can do it all. We won't miss a beat."

The Bills, who remain frisky in the playoff hunt at 4-3, hope Jackson speaks the truth (as does every fantasy football fan rushing to the waiver wire). Anthony Dixon is the only other running back currently on the Bills' roster.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000414225/article/bills-fred-jackson-bryce-brown-an-everydown-back

Both are worth an add, but I'd keep expectations pretty low. Poor run blocking team, likely to be a rbbc, a fairly difficult schedule coming up, etc.

When in doubt, always go with the talent.

See: McKinnon-Asiata

I'll be putting in a claim for Brown but not Dixon.

When in doubt, always go with the talent.

See: McKinnon-Asiata

I'll be putting in a claim for Brown but not Dixon.
except in buffalo where the better talent (Spiller) has been 2nd fiddle to a 33 year old (Jackson) for 2 years now.

Good info, here.

"Frank the Tank" in his Steeler days

Strongly believe Brown is the "add" of the two, but you have to temper expectations with Jackson likely to return sooner (1-3 games) rather than later. Ball security will also play heavily into how much Brown sees the field as he had some issues in Philadelphia. But his talent edge over Dixon is significant.

Aaron Rudnicki said:
SaintsInDome2006 said:
Wait, I don't think I knew this, or maybe I forgot it:

Dixon goes by "Boobie"?

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/roster/Boobie-Dixon/736c6fd9-3898-42d0-b619-e0400bdcf76b

This may factor into who I add.
everybody calls him that.

can't recall anyone calling him Anthony since he joined the Bills.
Actually I think I remember him being called that at Miss State. But I don't recall seeing his name in print like that for some time, even back to when he was at San Fran. Kind of reminds me of Booger McFarland who was always referred to as "Anthony" in the NFL.

listening to Siriux XM fantasy radio and they just had some quotes from Dixon that seemed to indicate that he thinks he's the guy and this is the opportunity he's been waiting for...no clue what exactly that means but thought I'd share it.
Rotoworld:

Anthony Dixon is under the impression he'll be the Bills' feature back going forward.

Fred Jackson (groin) could miss a month and C.J. Spiller (collarbone) is out for the season. "This is an opportunity I've been waiting for, to get back in that workhorse role and show people what I can do," said Dixon, who went on to insist he's been mislabeled as a short-yardage back. The problem for Dixon is that the Bills traded for Bryce Brown this summer, a far more talented, versatile and explosive runner. We're expecting Brown to lead the committee, with "Boobie" filling a big back role.

Related: Bryce Brown

Source: Buffalo News

Oct 20 - 8:41 AM

Spiller out:

Follow
Jason La CanforaVerified account@JasonLaCanforaInitial diagnosis is a broken collarbone for CJ Spiller. Fred Jackson will need an MRI on his groin. Rough day for the Bills
holy jesus!!

last time I use a magnifying glass to read a thread
Haha, yeah, I just copy and pasted it from Twitter and was in a hurry. Not sure why it enlarged so much, but looking back, it's for the better since your eyesight's going fast anyway.

After watching Boobie in San Fran I can't see him being the main RB. He was the guy who's OK at everything and not great at anything. Brown is the one I'll be putting my FAAB $ on.

What kind of % are you guys thinking Brown is worth?

I can't make up my mind...I have a shot to pick up either Brown or Dixon and I started off clearly targetting Brown but as I thought about it a bit more now I'm leaning toward Dixon. I don't think Dixon is more talented but he is a receiving back that will slot into FJax's role and he may be seen as more reliable than Brown. I think Brown has more upside but also more risk...I think Dixon will have a higher floor and get more in terms of receptions and situational play.

Good info, here.

He's a fullback.

Users who are viewing this thread