What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** Washington Redskins 2014 Thread (In-Season) (1 Viewer)

5 more days!! Looking forward to RG3 proving all the doubters wrong. Think we'll have a top 10 offense this season. Defense looks to be improved. This team will be better than the 3-13 disaster of last season. I could see them pushing for a playoff spot.

Redskins should definitely be improved in 2 of the 3 phases of the game: Defense and Special Teams, and that should be good enough to amass a better record than last year's 3-13 season.

Offense *could* be improved this season, but it's really all going to hinge on QB play. I like Griffn's potential but we just haven't yet seen him perform at the level he's going to need to to get this team on the other side of .500. (Yeah, his rookie year but he can't do all those designed runs this year and stay healthy). This will be the main story for the Houston game -- can Griffin make the plays necessary to elevate this team.

What gives me some hope is Gruden's previous comments that the strength of this team is it's running game. I sincerely hope he comes out with a "run first" game plan with short, quick passes sprinkled in, then a very occassional long ball to keep the defense honest.

Griffin, for his part, needs to show the discretion of a 3rd year QB -- run when necessary and get out of bounds or slide (correctly). Throw the ball away instead of forcing it.

We have a lot of weapons and it's tempting to want to see a dynamic, high powered offense out of the gate. But based on Griffin's grown, I'm really hoping that they go conservative.

A lot of us are underestimating Houston based on their season last year, but they are still a dangerous team so we have to just try to eke out a win on the road in whatever fashion we can.

Break open the beers...football season is here!

Last edited by a moderator:
Redskins should definitely be improved in 2 of the 3 phases of the game: Defense and Special Teams, and that should be good enough to amass a better record than last year's 3-13 season.

Offense *could* be improved this season, but it's really all going to hinge on QB play. I like Griffn's potential but we just haven't yet seen him perform at the level he's going to need to to get this team on the other side of .500. (Yeah, his rookie year but he can't do all those designed runs this year and stay healthy). This will be the main story for the Houston game -- can Griffin make the plays necessary to elevate this team.
100% agree with this...and I think this will be the pivotal point for our whole season. DEF & ST improved, more weapons on OFF, but can RG3 perform well enough for OFF weapons to shine enough. Quicker he gets it in gear, they better off the Redskins are going to be this season.

I'm an Eagles fan, but I am heavy RG3 and Jordan Reed owner. I wish to them many TD connections this week.

Definitely not sleeping on Houston this week. Their defense is scary with Watt and Clowney against our OL. Think the game plan is going to have to be short/quick passes to negate the pass rush. I don't think we'll see too many deep passes this week, just because the OL is going to have their handsful. Morris is also going to have to step up and be able to pass protect really well. It's a winnable game, but it comes down to our OL vs Watt/Clowney.

Their offense doesn't scare me too much. DHall usually plays well against the big WRs, so I'm not too worried about Johnson going off. We're usually pretty good against the run, so Foster doesn't scare me too much. The defense needs to get pressure on Fitzpatrick and make him uncomfortable back there.

Do you think we could use Michael Sam? Backup ILB and on special teams? He seemed pretty good, suprised he got cut and no one is picking him up.

Do you think we could use Michael Sam? Backup ILB and on special teams? He seemed pretty good, suprised he got cut and no one is picking him up.
I'd be fine with him coming here. This team needs pass rushers, so he couldn't hurt.

Definitely not sleeping on Houston this week. Their defense is scary with Watt and Clowney against our OL.
If Gruden calls a lot of straight dropback pass plays this week the Skins may get all 3 QB's killed. Can Brian Mitchell still play QB in an emergency?

I don't think Gruden's stupid enough to do that, though. I figure we'll see at least 35 rushes and we may even see Redd at some point if the run game is working. I know everyone likes high-scoring football, but what I enjoy most is seeing the opposing team slowly worn down by a running game that eventually the opponent is powerless to stop. Drives of 8 minutes, 9 rushes and 3 passes, with the defensive players so tired they're glad to get off the field after giving up a TD.

John Keim is predicting 7-9 this year. This is how writers all over the country are predicting the Skins' season. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2014/09/02/what-national-writers-think-about-the-redskins-chances-this-season/

This was the funniest part

ESPN.com NFL Nation
NFC East, W-L
Philadelphia, 9-7
New York, 9-7
Dallas, 8-8
Washington, 7-9

These picks are made independently by team beat writers, and only the Raiders (5-11) and Browns (6-10) writers predict fewer than seven wins. In fact, everyone else but the Bills, Jaguars and Redskins is picked to be .500 or better.

I'm not making predictions until like week 3 or so.

I honestly have no idea if we'll be good or a dumpster fire right now. A lot of it comes down to RG3's performance. Which guy are we gonna get this year?

I'm not making predictions until like week 3 or so.

I honestly have no idea if we'll be good or a dumpster fire right now. A lot of it comes down to RG3's performance. Which guy are we gonna get this year?
Yeah, starting with HOU and JAX should at least give us an indication if we're going to suck.

As for Griffin, I think it's clear he's healthy right now. There were a couple encouraging plays in preseason that showed his acceleration and speed. Of course, people will complain that he uses that speed to run and then fails to avoid hits, but it's good to see him back to having that ability. So, I see offensive success coming down to Griffin's ability to work in the pocket and Gruden's willingness to use Griffin's athleticism in his playcalling. We hear that the Redskins and Griffin want him to work from the pocket. But, what if that doesn't work?

But we are not a bottom 5 team without him. In fact, I think the opposite. We are probably a top 15 team without him. At this stage RG3 and the OL are the only things holding this team back from success. But if they bring me in to coach today, I'm still rolling the dice with RG3 for a few more games. He has some skills that give him potential.
I disagree that, right now, the Skinds are a top 15 team (regardless of who they put on the field.

The offensive line does 1 thing well -- run blocking while moving to the side. They are bad at power run blocking and they are bad at pass blocking.

The WR's are above average.

One RB is above average; the FB is above average. The backups are average at best.

The defensive line is, at its best, average. ILB's may or may not be average, depending on how Robinson plays. The OLB's get local press for sack ability but they change no games and they cannot pass cover.

CB's are iffy --- if Hall can play up to what he did last year and if Amerson isn't torched regularly the duo may achieve 'average'.

The S's suck. Watch the CB's follow a WR and hand him off to a S who isn't there as they did regularly last year.

Special teams sucked miserable ### last year. Lots of local press says they'll be improved this year. With a tremendous amount of luck and effort they might achieve "average" but I doubt it.
:goodposting: This is such an accurate assessment, I'm surprised I didn't write it myself!

There are 32 Teams in the NFL, making the middle point 16/17. My personal feeling is that the Redskins will wind up somewhere between 13 - 20, 12 being the cutoff for a Playoffs-caliber Team. I think 8-8 is a reasonable projection, with a floor of 6-10 and a ceiling of 9-7, based on my opinion of the Team and the schedule.

As much as it's possible for Griffin to/to have regressed, it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility for Cousins to/to have improved. Colt McCoy is occupying a valuable Roster spot for the benefit of both Griffin and Cousins, IMHO. An improved Cousins resembles the prototypical NFL Quarterback more closely than Griffin playing at his current level, but I'm neither certain that Cousins has improved, or that we've seen an accurate picture of Griffin thus far in the preseason. If Griffin brings his preseason play into the season, and Cousins has improved, I'd have no problem with Cousins taking the helm, to see who's more capable of getting us in the win column.

I was impressed with the quick signing of Ihenacho - he's had valuable starter reps on the field, and has been in a locker room with a Championship-caliber contender, which IMHO is an invaluable intangible, not to mention that, even if he's only a 'box safety' he's a substantial upgrade over what we'd otherwise be trotting out at our weakest position. I've gotten somewhat accustomed to nothing being done. I'm especially pleased with the apparent disregard for a Player's 'status' going into whether or not he makes the dress roster. Regardless of how you've gotten here, or how much you're being paid, your ability to factor into putting a winning product on the field should be the the primary decider if you should dress or not come gameday.

Quick word on Meriweather - from my friend who's a former strength and conditioning Coach for the Redskins, Meriweather is not considered by him, or anyone he (my friend) personally knows - players and coaches alike - as a 'dirty' player. All this hitting stuff is a very recent development in the timeline of the NFL, and was generally accepted, and even coached to some degree in very recent history at the prep, college and professional levels of football. He''s a tremendously talented football player with quite an impressive pedigree - Apopka HS in Florida is one of the most prestigious prep football programs in the nation - 6A State Champs in his senior year in 2001 - and you don't get a full ride to Miami, Fla for nothing - where he won the 'Hard Hitter' Award (yes, believe it or not, they have awards for that sort of thing in all major football schools at the prep and college level :shockandawe: ) in 2004.

He was a FWAA All American and 1st-team All-ACC and a Thorpe Award semifinalist in 2005, and won that nasty old Hard Hitter Award again...

2006, did it again - 1st-Team All-ACC, All American, Playboy Pre-Season All-American and Thorpe Award semi-finalist. Some evil, wicked, mean and nasty Player actually beat him out for Hard Hitter that year. I wonder who that scumbag is. :rolleyes:

I applaud the NFL's interest in the health of it's players, but at some point, football is football, and just because atheletes are getting bigger, stronger and faster doesn't necessarily having to legislate the way the game is being played. IMHO, a Player has a choice to play Professional Football, or not, and my personal proper way to address this (which I don't doubt some folks may disagree with, and that's completely their right), is that if you make the conscious choice to play NFL Football, you should have to sign something that acknowledges that football is a violent full-contact sport with certain risks associated with, and by acknowledging this, you waive and hold harmless the NFL for anything that happens to you while playing, because it was your choice to play in the NFL.

I don't know how many casual fans understand the tremendous amount of difficulty associated with having a player 'unlearn' a technique that's been taught and encouraged from the time they first put on a helmet to the present day - and on top of that, having them 'unlearn' said technique when they are playing at the highest level of football possible. It's actually dangerous to the player himself, in the following manner: the one difference separating players who have long careers from short, as related by me to my friend who has real-life insider knowledge of such things, is their ability to translate their game to 'the speed at which the NFL game is played' - players who have long careers are able to make this transition quickly - where the game 'slows down' for them because they no longer have to think about what they are doing - when it becomes instinctive, and can just 'do' rather than 'think about what they are doing', they've made the transition. Many superlative college Players flame out quickly primarily because of their inability to do this, and according to my friend, a majority of players who sustain career-shortening, limiting or ending injuries, do so because they are too busy 'thinking' rather than just 'doing', and get hurt by sustaining contact with players who are 'doing' without wasting the time to have to 'think'. Think about it - in most traffic accidents not involving an extenuating circumstance like weather, alcohol or drug intoxication, or experience involve speed - but not as we traditionally think about it, but rather 'differential speed'.

Asking a football player, especially one playing at the highest level, to do anything that might cause him to think and slow him down on the field, while the majority of other players on the field are playing at full speed without thinking, causes all sorts of problems with injuries resulting from the same 'differential speed' equation. Take it for what it's worth, but that's how it was explained to me by someone who knows the real story.

Then again, I also think (and this will probably generate controversy as well) that it should be mandated in NFL contracts that Team Administration/Players Associations should have an Office in charge of assisting players in financial education and managing their money both in the present and for retirement planning/life after football, but what do I know.

Just one man's opinion...

I'm moving this over here because it's more 'in-season' than 'off-season'...mea culpa to anyone who considers it poor form.

We hear that the Redskins and Griffin want him to work from the pocket. But, what if that doesn't work?
I think we'll see a lot less working from the pocket once the season starts. I think that was the plan all off-season and pre-season -- give Griffin a lot of work on what he most needs to work on. We'll see it, but only when it's to the team's advantage.

During the regular season, gameplanning opponents and taking advantage of Redskin strengths takes precedence over what Griffin or anyone needs to work on. There are only 16 games.

I didn't feel like we won the offseason for once. So, maybe we'll be suprised with how good they are instead of disapointed in how they're not reaching expectations?

RGIII HTTR said:
The Complicated Reinvention of RG3

By Les Carpenter, Special to Bleacher Report

Sep 2, 2014

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2176159-the-complicated-reinvention-of-rg3

If you have not read this article yet, you should...written very well and gives insight to our franchise QB.
Yep, he's a sensitive guy. I don't follow him on Twitter, but I hear he spends a lot of time defending himself. I could never put a finger on exactly what I didn't like about him when he talked, but maybe that's it. I'm not sure there's great harm there, but I hope he can care less about what others say and grow some thicker skin. Or, at least deal with those feelings in a different way. You know, just to lessen my annoyance. I obviously want to see him be great. I think he can be an iconic DC athlete if he can put it all together. But, fail to improve soon and everyone will turn on him and that could need years of therapy to get over.

RGIII HTTR said:

Sep 2, 2014

If you have not read this article yet, you should...written very well and gives insight to our franchise QB.
Yep, he's a sensitive guy. I don't follow him on Twitter, but I hear he spends a lot of time defending himself. I could never put a finger on exactly what I didn't like about him when he talked, but maybe that's it. I'm not sure there's great harm there, but I hope he can care less about what others say and grow some thicker skin. Or, at least deal with those feelings in a different way. You know, just to lessen my annoyance.I obviously want to see him be great. I think he can be an iconic DC athlete if he can put it all together. But, fail to improve soon and everyone will turn on him and that could need years of therapy to get over.
Yeah, he appears to be still young in that regard. I hope he learns to ignore what other think sooner than later, for his sake and for the team's. Unfortunately we all have the inherent want to be liked in some way or another, just some lean it way more than others. Basically stop trying to be the man and just be the man that you are, which then will allow you to be the man..

RGIII HTTR said:

Sep 2, 2014

Thanks for sharing this. It is a very interesting article.

RGIII is obviously a very cerebral guy who thinks a lot, who really cares what other people think, and who therefore always feels the need to explain himself.

These are not bad characteristics per se -- for instance, his smarts will help in understanding a game plan and his interpersonal skills can make him a good communicator.

But there are some real areas of growth here as well. As important as it is to think and to want others to respect you, it's equally important sometimes to just shut your brain off and have confidence in what you can do. That means, not overthinking when you are on or off the field. On: go through your progressions quickly and make the pass. RGIII is often accused of "not being able to read a defense" or "being a one read QB." These are veiled insults that he is somehow "stupid" which I think is an unfortunate stereotype that people often apply to "black QBs" or "running QBs." By contrast, I don't think he's stupid at all. I think he's very smart. But those same smarts could make him overthink things and give him sort of a "paralysis by anaysis."

Same thing with off the field. Just be confident in who you are and live your life. So many people don't like you. That's going to happen if you are a celebrity. Tune it out and move on. Don't think so hard about it.

I get the impression that RGIII really is a smart guy. But sometimes the challenge of being smart is that you need to control when you think and when you don't think.

I remember I used to play golf a lot. My friend would give me all these swing thoughts: keep your head down, shift your weight, grip the club this way, etc....so many thoughts that I screwed up every time I swung. So I decided to just think about one swing thought every time I went up there...the one I considered most critical for that day, based on how I was playing. My swing and game improved dramatically.

This thing with RGIII is just a reminder to us how much of sports really is mental. That you can be the best athlete in the world but until you get your mind right you can't succeed.

Let's hope RGIII can get it this year.

We don't talk much fantasy football here. The only Redskin I targeted was the defense, which apparently is so lowly rated, it would go undrafted in most leagues. I usually target some Redskins who I think will be value plays, but I did not see much value this year.

I still ended up with Alfred Morris at 4.3 (27th overall in an 8 team league).

RGIII plummeted in my draft to 12.2 (90th overall) and was the 11th qb taken. Thinking it over, maybe I should have taken him in the 10th round. I took Russell Wilson over him.

We don't talk much fantasy football here. The only Redskin I targeted was the defense, which apparently is so lowly rated, it would go undrafted in most leagues. I usually target some Redskins who I think will be value plays, but I did not see much value this year.

RGIII plummeted in my draft to 12.2 (90th overall) and was the 11th qb taken. Thinking it over, maybe I should have taken him in the 10th round. I took Russell Wilson over him.
I took RG3 over Wilson in mine in the 9th. I was hoping to get Wilson in the 10th, but he went right after I picked RG3. I still think RG3 will be fine fantasy wise. Might take a few games for him to get going, but I still like him as a fantasy QB this year. As bas as a year that he had, he still averaged 19.5 PPG in the league I have him in, which would have been good enough for QB13. I don't think any of us are expecting this year to be as big of a disaster as last season was. Even if he improves a little, he could certainly finish in the top 10 this year.

RG3 will be fine. He just needs to settle in between the ears and he'll be back to normal. I kind of think he's going to come out Sunday and play very well.

I took RG3 over Wilson in mine in the 9th. I was hoping to get Wilson in the 10th, but he went right after I picked RG3. I still think RG3 will be fine fantasy wise. Might take a few games for him to get going, but I still like him as a fantasy QB this year. As bas as a year that he had, he still averaged 19.5 PPG in the league I have him in, which would have been good enough for QB13. I don't think any of us are expecting this year to be as big of a disaster as last season was. Even if he improves a little, he could certainly finish in the top 10 this year.
I snagged him at the tail end of the 8th. I wanted Romo, Cutler, or Wilson but they all went right before me in the 8th. I still think I got a great bargin. RG3 will get straightened out.

I snagged him at the tail end of the 8th. I wanted Romo, Cutler, or Wilson but they all went right before me in the 8th. I still think I got a great bargin. RG3 will get straightened out.
Agreed. His last season as been totally blown out of proportion. Was it good? No. Was it as terrible as people believe? Not even close.

Let's take a look at some numbers:

Completetion %:

Kaepernick - 58.4

Stafford - 58.5

RG3 - 60.1

Luck - 60.2

Brady - 60.5

Newton - 61.7

Dalton - 61.9

INT %:

Dalton - 3.4

Cutler - 3.4

Stafford - 3.0

Newton - 2.7

Ryan - 2.6

RG3 - 2.6

Roethlisberger - 2.4

Wilson - 2.2

YPA:

Luck - 6.7

Ryan - 6.9

Brady - 6.9

RG3 - 7.0

Newton - 7.1

Dalton - 7.3

Stafford - 7.3

Re: fantasy --

1. I think RGIII will surprise people this year with much better than average fantasy stats. He just has too many weapons (Jackson, Garcon, Reed, Roberts, etc.) to put up crappy numbers. Plus, he's healthy and will pick up running yards as well. As has been pointed out, his numbers weren't that bad last year when he didn't have Jackson and when Reed missed a ton of games.

2. I did not get RGIII in my fantasy league and although a homer, I was not targetting Redskins. That said, I ended up with 2 just because they were good value where I picked them.

a. Alfred Morris -- we have a keeper league where you can keep a player for 3 years at 3 rounds above where you drafted him (move up 3 round each year that is). Well, back when Morris was a rookie, we had our draft when no one knew who the starting RB was going to be for the Redskins. So based on his hard running in the preseason, I took Alfred Morris as a lark in the second to last round. He ended up starting and so at this point I am still keeping him for a late round pick. Just total luck but he's a major value for me as an 11th round pick this year.

b. Jordan Reed -- I took Reed in the 6th round of our draft which may have been a little reach so yeah maybe I was trying to make a homer pick. With that said, I think when you get past the "super TEs" like Graham or Gronkowski -- Reed will be very competitive with the rest of the field fantasy wise. I took him as like the 6th or 7th TE off the board so if I hadn't taken him in the 6th in a room full of Redskins fans, I may have been left with a bigger dropoff at TE. So maybe a reach but I have a sneaky feeling that Reed could be a real beast this year. Jackson, Garcon and Roberts are going to open up a lot of room for him and once he catches it he can run. I can see him doing well in PPR.

I'm less bullish on Redskins WR fantasy wise because I'm not sure any will step up and be consistent each and every game. Redskins will run and throw short passes which will be good for Morris and Reed but not sure if Garcon/Jackson will NEED to put up beastly numbers this year. I hope they do but I shied away from drafting them unless they were going to drop hard...

I passed on taking Reed in my league because I'm pretty concerned he'll be injured again, and took Ertz a couple rounds later. I think Ertz will have a big year for the Eagles.

I passed on taking Reed in my league because I'm pretty concerned he'll be injured again, and took Ertz a couple rounds later. I think Ertz will have a big year for the Eagles.
I was able to nab both of them in one of my leagues. Really happy about that.

I was able to nab both of them in one of my leagues. Really happy about that.
Wanted to do this but Ertz hype was on the uptick and he went early in the 7th. Couldn't believe it.

The same emotions that makes RG3 seem a little too sensitive sometimes also fuels his passion for the game and to be a champion. He's still young, and will continue to mature (we all want that) but I am glad he seems to care as much as he does. And if he's as smart and quick of a learner as he's been touted the last 3 years, he will eventually master Gruden's offense. We just might have to be patient, whether that is a couple of quarters, couple of games, or most of the season. Sooner or later, I expect him to explode again like he did 2 year ago. HTTR!

Helu worth a roster spot? Non-PPR.
I would recommend against it, particularly in non-PPR. He's essentially a third down back who will catch some balls here and there. You just won't see enough steady production from him to make it worthwhile.

I suppose if you owned Morris, you could nab him as a handcuff, but even so, I wouldn't use a roster spot on him...

Agreed. His last season as been totally blown out of proportion. Was it good? No. Was it as terrible as people believe? Not even close.

Completetion %:

Kaepernick - 58.4

Stafford - 58.5

RG3 - 60.1

Luck - 60.2

Brady - 60.5

Newton - 61.7

Dalton - 61.9

INT %:

Dalton - 3.4

Cutler - 3.4

Stafford - 3.0

Newton - 2.7

Ryan - 2.6

RG3 - 2.6

Roethlisberger - 2.4

Wilson - 2.2

YPA:

Luck - 6.7

Ryan - 6.9

Brady - 6.9

RG3 - 7.0

Newton - 7.1

Dalton - 7.3

Stafford - 7.3
For QBs with at least 200 attempts Griffin was 18th in YPA and 25th in YPA.

Completetion %:

Kaepernick - 58.4

Stafford - 58.5

RG3 - 60.1

Luck - 60.2

Brady - 60.5

Newton - 61.7

Dalton - 61.9

INT %:

Dalton - 3.4

Cutler - 3.4

Stafford - 3.0

Newton - 2.7

Ryan - 2.6

RG3 - 2.6

Roethlisberger - 2.4

Wilson - 2.2

YPA:

Luck - 6.7

Ryan - 6.9

Brady - 6.9

RG3 - 7.0

Newton - 7.1

Dalton - 7.3

Stafford - 7.3
Ok? I was just pointing out that his numbers weren't far off from other QBs last season.

Completetion %:

Kaepernick - 58.4

Stafford - 58.5

RG3 - 60.1

Luck - 60.2

Brady - 60.5

Newton - 61.7

Dalton - 61.9

INT %:

Dalton - 3.4

Cutler - 3.4

Stafford - 3.0

Newton - 2.7

Ryan - 2.6

RG3 - 2.6

Roethlisberger - 2.4

Wilson - 2.2

YPA:

Luck - 6.7

Ryan - 6.9

Brady - 6.9

RG3 - 7.0

Newton - 7.1

Dalton - 7.3

Stafford - 7.3
Ok? I was just pointing out that his numbers weren't far off from other QBs last season.
But he's a 2nd overall pick that the Redskins gave up 3 1sts and a 2nd to get. At that cost you have to do a lot better than 'not too far off from other QBs' to not consider it to be terrible. Here is a list of the QBs who had 200+ attempts that RG3 had a better completion percentage than:

Mike Glennon

Joe Flacco

EJ Manuel

Kellen Clemens

Matthew Stafford

Colin Kaepernick

Eli Manning

Terrelle Pryor

Jason Campbell

Matt McGloin

Geno Smith

Case Keenum

Brandon Weeden

That's not a list you want to be on.

MikeApf said:
Grits_Blitz said:
I would recommend against it, particularly in non-PPR. He's essentially a third down back who will catch some balls here and there. You just won't see enough steady production from him to make it worthwhile.

I suppose if you owned Morris, you could nab him as a handcuff, but even so, I wouldn't use a roster spot on him...
Agree with your assessment of Helu. And if Morris went down for a stretch of games I think Redd would take over the starting role with Helu staying the 3rd down back.

So in leagues with small rosters, keep an eye out for any sign of Morris injury and grab Redd. In leagues with bigger rosters he'd be good to grab now. Just my guess.

But he's a 2nd overall pick that the Redskins gave up 3 1sts and a 2nd to get. At that cost you have to do a lot better than 'not too far off from other QBs' to not consider it to be terrible.
In fantasy ball you're right; you're assessing "value". In the NFL during the regular season, you're not. Whether you're a 1st round pick or a UDFA, how you do is how you do, and it's compared to how others do. Your numbers are your numbers.

Archer said:
And if he's as smart and quick of a learner as he's been touted the last 3 years, he will eventually master Gruden's offense. We just might have to be patient, whether that is a couple of quarters, couple of games, or most of the season. Sooner or later, I expect him to explode again like he did 2 year ago. HTTR!
Tend to agree with this...seems like he can do everything both throwing and running and has the intelligence/work ethic to learn still. My biggest concern at this point is still injury because he is so bad at protecting himself.

MikeApf said:
Grits_Blitz said:

sorta related, but isn't a plit like in cincy possible in the backfield?

i understand gio is not a 300 carry back, but is it inherent to gruden's philosophy to run w/ 2 backs?

Archer said:
The same emotions that makes RG3 seem a little too sensitive sometimes also fuels his passion for the game and to be a champion.
I'm not necessarily trying to equate the two, but isn't that similar to some of the criticism Lebron James has received over the years? That he cares too much about what others think about him, that he wants to be liked, that he may need to develop thicker skin, etc.? I don't follow the NBA real close, so if my perception about that is off, someone let me know.

But, I hope you're right, Archer, about those personality traits being tied to a passion for winning, and for football. Like dgreen, I think those things have bothered me about Griffin. Maybe because it seems counter (or at least different) to what the champions I grew up with were like. I can't imagine Joe Montana having some of the responses that Griffin has had to criticisms and questions. But we're watching a different NFL today, to some extent. Who is to say that you can't be a champion and be a little sensitive, publicly?

ETA: Although, I guess Gibbs was/is a "sensitive guy" (maybe not in the same ways) and he sure earned some nice hardware. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread