What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

D Murray is undergoing Monday surgery to repair a broken left hand (1 Viewer)

KellysHeroes

Footballguy
DeMarco Murray is undergoing Monday surgery to repair a broken band in his left hand, but has yet to be ruled out for Week 16.

Murray is specifically dealing with a broken fourth metacarpal. Per reporter Todd Archer, Emmitt Smith suffered a similar injury in his playing days, and missed only one game. It's clearly not a long-term concern, but the Cowboys will be in a world of trouble if they lose to the Colts on Sunday. For now, owners should consider Murray truly day to day. If Murray can't go, Joseph Randle and Lance Dunbar will form a committee in his absence, with Randle likely handling early downs and Dunbar getting passing work. Even if Murray suits up for Week 16, it's possible he'll be limited. Brittle through the first three years of his NFL career, Murray's first injury of 2014 couldn't be worse timed, though the Cowboys have been tempting fate with his massive workloads.

And that's why you handcuff...

With that OL, Randle would be a strong play even without getting much passing down work. They're saying he's day to day, but... idk.

Quote from the ESPN article sourced by RW:

Others have dealt with the same or similar injuries. Smith missed one game in 1999 after undergoing the surgery following a 13-carry, 140-yard and two-touchdown game against the Minnesota Vikings. He had two straight 100-yard games after his return. In 2006, Terrell Owens suffered a similar injury while with the Cowboys. He had a plate and screws implanted into his hand and did not miss a game, thanks to the Cowboys' bye week. He wore a glove with extra padding on the top of his hand for added protection. In 2011, Denver Broncos running back Willis McGahee missed one game with the injury.

If you own Murray and didn't cuff him with Randle, shame on you. We knew it was coming. It sucks it's fantasy championship week but Randle should carry 75% of the load which should be enough if your team is strong.

If Murray is active and we don't know to what extent, that's going to suck.

Dr. Jene retweeted a guy saying it happened on Murray's last carry. I went back to the Game Pass and found it. His left hand goes limp after the tackle, and he's clearly in discomfort as he leaves the field.

https://vid.me/zv4q

Sorry about the quality. Takes longer to upload in HD and I'm heading to work.

Article I just read on Bleacher Report mentions Dunbat only. Of course I didn't have room for him and Randle on my bench so now it's hope and pray they find a pad that will protect the hand so Murray can play. He is still better than Crowell and Herron, who'd be my next man up in his roster spot. Timing of this couldn't be worse.

The irony of fantasy football...I've held onto Randle all season until last week and let him go & then this happens. Doesn't hurt me at all as I wouldn't have started him in the championship but just cracks me up when stuff like this goes down. Never fails....

Handcuffing is only valuable if the replacement would be worth starting.

Neither of his backups will be worth starting, and their usage is completely unpredictable. Heading into the Championship, I'm already going to be down Jennings and Mathews, and potentially now Murray. Ingram is locked in, and I'd STILL be starting Latavius Murray next week against the Bills over either of the Cowboys "handcuffs" who figure to share everything. I'd expect Romo to throw more, too.

Going to be a long week following this one and the Cowboys will probably drag this out all week before making a decision.

Neither of his backups will be worth starting, and their usage is completely unpredictable. Heading into the Championship, I'm already going to be down Jennings and Mathews, and potentially now Murray. Ingram is locked in, and I'd STILL be starting Latavius Murray next week against the Bills over either of the Cowboys "handcuffs" who figure to share everything. I'd expect Romo to throw more, too.

Going to be a long week following this one and the Cowboys will probably drag this out all week before making a decision.
Disagree here - Randle is pretty clearly the backup with Dunbar pretty clearly the COP/3rd down guy...

And as to the replacement being worth starting - have you seen that Cowboys OL play? Anyone off the street could be worth starting behind that line. No defensive player touches the RB for 3+ yards...

If you own Murray and didn't cuff him with Randle, shame on you. We knew it was coming. It sucks it's fantasy championship week but Randle should carry 75% of the load which should be enough if your team is strong.

If Murray is active and we don't know to what extent, that's going to suck.
I agree, everyone knew that he was going to break a bone in his hand.

Disagree here - Randle is pretty clearly the backup with Dunbar pretty clearly the COP/3rd down guy...

And as to the replacement being worth starting - have you seen that Cowboys OL play? Anyone off the street could be worth starting behind that line. No defensive player touches the RB for 3+ yards...
As a Murray owner I've watched them plenty. Randle is an OK talent, but he's benefited a lot from being Murray's backup. He's shifty but doesn't break a lot of tackles, and came into the game to relieve Murray after they've been pounded on.

It's going to be a different story if he's the main guy, and part of what has made Murray awesome is that he's been a 3 down stud, running and receiving. Either backup would be a shot in the dark next week. One may pay off, but there's a reason the Cowboys pass so often when Murray's not in the game. I'd expect Romo to air it out a lot more if Murray sits.

430pm game for Dallas too, UGH
Cast it, pain kill it and play him.
And watch the Cowboys turn the ball over three more times than usual and the season goes down the tubes?

The guy has ball control issues when he has two good hands. If he tries to play, you KNOW teams are going to be ripping that ball out.

Once the staff has a day to let reality sink in and start game planning for life with these other guys, we will see Murray won't play.

PREDICTION: If things go sideways with the COwboys Sunday, you are going to see Dez Bryant go bonkers on Randle. They kind of have a history.

And watch the Cowboys turn the ball over three more times than usual and the season goes down the tubes?

The guy has ball control issues when he has two good hands. If he tries to play, you KNOW teams are going to be ripping that ball out.

Once the staff has a day to let reality sink in and start game planning for life with these other guys, we will see Murray won't play.

PREDICTION: If things go sideways with the COwboys Sunday, you are going to see Dez Bryant go bonkers on Randle. They kind of have a history.
YOU STOLE MY UNDERWEAR!!!!

YOU STOLE MY UNDERWEAR!!!!
#SprayTan

As a Murray owner I've watched them plenty. Randle is an OK talent, but he's benefited a lot from being Murray's backup. He's shifty but doesn't break a lot of tackles, and came into the game to relieve Murray after they've been pounded on.

It's going to be a different story if he's the main guy, and part of what has made Murray awesome is that he's been a 3 down stud, running and receiving. Either backup would be a shot in the dark next week. One may pay off, but there's a reason the Cowboys pass so often when Murray's not in the game. I'd expect Romo to air it out a lot more if Murray sits.
theres a reason they didn't cut Randle and just bring in Ryan Williams again after the shoplifting thing. Hes the play if DM is out.

Disagree here - Randle is pretty clearly the backup with Dunbar pretty clearly the COP/3rd down guy...And as to the replacement being worth starting - have you seen that Cowboys OL play? Anyone off the street could be worth starting behind that line. No defensive player touches the RB for 3+ yards...
As a Murray owner I've watched them plenty. Randle is an OK talent, but he's benefited a lot from being Murray's backup. He's shifty but doesn't break a lot of tackles, and came into the game to relieve Murray after they've been pounded on.It's going to be a different story if he's the main guy, and part of what has made Murray awesome is that he's been a 3 down stud, running and receiving. Either backup would be a shot in the dark next week. One may pay off, but there's a reason the Cowboys pass so often when Murray's not in the game. I'd expect Romo to air it out a lot more if Murray sits.
Randle typically takes a possession from Murray in the late 1st/early 2nd quarter of games. He's averaging 7.1ypc on carries during that first half possession. The defense is not worn down yet.

Murray is a good RB, but that line is elite. Randle is the backup, Dunbar is a passing down back. Even if Dunbar takes a few more snaps from Randle than he would from Murray there will still be plenty left for Randle to be a strong rb1 behind that line.

Heck even if they were to split evenly, half of the Dallas run game is much stronger than most people's alternatives. Again though, I would expect Randle to get most of the work.

Disagree here - Randle is pretty clearly the backup with Dunbar pretty clearly the COP/3rd down guy...And as to the replacement being worth starting - have you seen that Cowboys OL play? Anyone off the street could be worth starting behind that line. No defensive player touches the RB for 3+ yards...
I have Murray and handcuffed him with Randle. Maybe I'm crazy, but Randle looks fantastic in limited action. He's got a nice burst and if Murray is out, I'm starting him against that Colt D with confidence. There is a reason they kept him on the roster after the stealing debacle--the kid is very talented!! Dunbar will definitely get some carries/receptions but JR. could put up 100 and a score behind that o-line

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote from the ESPN article sourced by RW:

Others have dealt with the same or similar injuries. Smith missed one game in 1999 after undergoing the surgery following a 13-carry, 140-yard and two-touchdown game against the Minnesota Vikings. He had two straight 100-yard games after his return. In 2006, Terrell Owens suffered a similar injury while with the Cowboys. He had a plate and screws implanted into his hand and did not miss a game, thanks to the Cowboys' bye week. He wore a glove with extra padding on the top of his hand for added protection. In 2011, Denver Broncos running back Willis McGahee missed one game with the injury.
looks like he is gonna miss 1 game, Crap worst timing didn't hear anything about this.. I would throw a cast on that and take a shot and be out their grinding.... This is some bs :bs:

Hahaha, terrible timing. Murray's owner is in the finals. The guy facing him needs a flex badly and has waiver priority, already vowing to grab Randle.

:popcorn:

like he said Cast it, pain kill it, play him. Dallas needs this game, it's a #######g hand he can get a big ### glove or some kind of cast and take a thing called a cortizone Shot, and be ready to roll.. Guys like Emmit and to missed games cuz it was 90s early 2000s.... Roll him out their, Dallas has said nothing to the effect he won't play so we need not assume. For my Fantasy purposes, I hope he suits up.

:cry: :wall: :censored:

Cowboys VP Stephen Jones conceded on Sirius XM Radio Monday that it will be an "uphill battle" for DeMarco Murray to play Sunday versus Indianapolis.

We've seen more upbeat reporters on Murray's chances of playing elsewhere on the internet, but indications coming directly from the team are less optimistic. Jones expressed confidence Murray would play in Week 17 against the Redskins. But it sounds like Joseph Randle is the favorite to start this week against the Colts. Indy has one of the league's leakiest run defenses, and the Cowboys would be facing them at home in a potential shootout. Randle would become a plug-and-play RB2 in fantasy championship week.

Source: Sirius NFL Radio on Twitter
Dec 15 - 5:19 PM

Dr. Jene retweeted a guy saying it happened on Murray's last carry. I went back to the Game Pass and found it. His left hand goes limp after the tackle, and he's clearly in discomfort as he leaves the field.

https://vid.me/zv4q

Sorry about the quality. Takes longer to upload in HD and I'm heading to work.
He's one tough SOB. You can barely tell he's in any pain.

I've had this injury before, and the surgery was in order to put a pin in the bone. I'd say there is zero chance he plays this week.

I have Murray and handcuffed him with Randle. Maybe I'm crazy, but Randle looks fantastic in limited action. He's got a nice burst and if Murray is out, I'm starting him against that Colt D with confidence. There is a reason they kept him on the roster after the stealing debacle--the kid is very talented!! Dunbar will definitely get some carries/receptions but JR. could put up 100 and a score behind that o-line
Good luck with that I guess. Maybe I'm wrong. Randle might (at best) get 75% of Murray's 1st and 2nd down touches with far less talent and tackle-breaking ability, and he'll get virtually none of the receptions that make Murray even more valuable. The line's great, but Murray's fantastic at exploding through the hold, bouncing off tackles, making people miss, and falling forward. Randle is decent in space, but he's not anywhere near the runner that Murray is.

Randle's not very good, and he and Dunbar have a combined 60 carries this year (36 for Randle, 24 for Dunbar I believe). If the Cowboys thought they could get remotely similar production while giving Murray the occasional breather, they would have. If you think this line is going to turn him into something special this week, that's cool. With so many injuries, I imagine there are plenty of people who could use him as a desperation play against the Colts.

Given the importance of this game, if there's any way that Murray can wrap it, pad it, shoot it up, and play, I'd expect him to do it.

Good luck with that I guess. Maybe I'm wrong. Randle might (at best) get 75% of Murray's 1st and 2nd down touches with far less talent and tackle-breaking ability, and he'll get virtually none of the receptions that make Murray even more valuable. The line's great, but Murray's fantastic at exploding through the hold, bouncing off tackles, making people miss, and falling forward. Randle is decent in space, but he's not anywhere near the runner that Murray is. Randle's not very good, and he and Dunbar have a combined 60 carries this year (36 for Randle, 24 for Dunbar I believe). If the Cowboys thought they could get remotely similar production while giving Murray the occasional breather, they would have. If you think this line is going to turn him into something special this week, that's cool. With so many injuries, I imagine there are plenty of people who could use him as a desperation play against the Colts.

Given the importance of this game, if there's any way that Murray can wrap it, pad it, shoot it up, and play, I'd expect him to do it.
I'm about as high on Murray as you'll find. Go back to earlier in this thread (to last offseason) and you'll find me talking about how underrated Murray is and how I think it's likely that he'd be a top 3 guy this year.

With that said, as a Murray/Randle owner I think I would rather Murray sit so I can start Randle. Honestly, I think there's a greater chance of disaster with Murray playing (IE he has an early fumble or something and Dallas decides maybe trying to play him wasn't such a great idea) than with Randle playing and the danger of him not getting enough work. Randle is no Murray, but he looks pretty good to me and certainly good enough to take advantage of that tremendous line. He can't eek out the tough yardage as well as Murray but he's shown multiple times this year that, once he gets a head of steam he can do every bit as much damage. The Dallas line is likely to give him that opportunity several times.

Last edited by a moderator:

Good luck with that I guess. Maybe I'm wrong. Randle might (at best) get 75% of Murray's 1st and 2nd down touches with far less talent and tackle-breaking ability, and he'll get virtually none of the receptions that make Murray even more valuable. The line's great, but Murray's fantastic at exploding through the hold, bouncing off tackles, making people miss, and falling forward. Randle is decent in space, but he's not anywhere near the runner that Murray is.

Randle's not very good, and he and Dunbar have a combined 60 carries this year (36 for Randle, 24 for Dunbar I believe). If the Cowboys thought they could get remotely similar production while giving Murray the occasional breather, they would have. If you think this line is going to turn him into something special this week, that's cool. With so many injuries, I imagine there are plenty of people who could use him as a desperation play against the Colts.

Can you expand on the Randle is not very good comment? Looking at his game log this year , 7 of his 34 carries went for over 10 yards, 2 of those carries went for 38 and 40. Hes only 22 years old and in his second year in the league.

sucks for Murray owners and if you think Randle or Dunbar are going to replace the production I think you're wrong.

also - you cannot handcuff every player you have on your team, not even every RB.

just go with it is all you can do

I am confused by the "Randle is not very good" comments. I thought he has looked great when he got on the field.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...As a Colts fan, I have to be "happy" that Murray may miss the game. As a Murray owner on my high-stakes team, not so much.

Per Rotoworld:

According to DallasCowboys.com's Bryan Broaddus, the "early thinking" is DeMarco Murray (hand) will play in Week 16 against the Colts.

A former longtime Cowboys and NFL scout, Broaddus is as plugged-in as anyone covering the team. Cowboys VP Stephen Jones stated on Sirius XM Radio Monday that Murray faced an "uphill battle" to face Indianapolis, but that may have been gamesmanship ahead of arguably the biggest game of Week 16. It's worth noting that Murray's band surgery on his hand was performed on his left hand. Murray primarily carries the ball with his right hand. The injury could affect him in pass protection and as a receiver, but Murray should be all systems go as a ball carrier against the Colts.
Couple things here... was just listening to Mike & Mike and Cris Carter and Herm Edwards both agreed with Golic that they'd be shocked if he played. They had a quote from a doctor saying it was at least a three-week injury (which Carter laughed at saying, "He may be a doctor but he's no NFL doctor."). So... ESPN's guys seem firmly in the camp of him not playing.

Secondly, Rotoworld paints the picture that Murray is right handed and thus rarely carries the ball with his left. That couldn't be further from the truth (RW... man they've gone downhill with their bias). I can't find the exact stat online in a quick search, but Mike Greenberg in the same segment mentioned that Dallas runs left more than any team in the league... and when Murray is running to the left, he should be holding the ball in his left hand (away from the defender).

I would be floored if Murray played this week.

Users who are viewing this thread