What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dr. Who (new series) (1 Viewer)

Sundays Rule

Footballguy
Just started watching the new series on Netflix starting with season 1. Don't know why I've never watched this before but it's great. Two thoughts, I really dig Eccleston as the Dr. And Billie Piper is a hottie. Good writing and the cheesy CGI give it a certain charm. Thumbs up.

Top-notch. The first season can be a little cheesy/hokey at times but they did a great job reviving it and it only gets better as you go. The 4th series is my favorite so far, especially the season finale. The season 2 finale is pretty amazing as well. The christmas specials/tv movies & spinoffs are pretty up and down in their quality though.

If you think Billie Piper is hot, do yourself a favor and rent "Secret Diary of a Call Girl." :excited:

I've got a thing for Freema Agyeman. :wub:

One of the best episodes is The Girl In the Fireplace.
The most disturbing episodes are the three with the statues. Blink with the 10th Doctor and The Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone with the 11th.
Its amazing how simplistic the Angels episodes are but they creep the hell out of you more than most horror movies of today. Just turn your head and all of sudden they move to within 5 feet of you. They come out of the TV screen to get you. You can't stop them with anything but light. Crazy stuff. Thats what got me back into Dr. Who. I like the latest characters with Pond and Matt Smith as the Dr.

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched it up until somewhere in season 4. I have started watching them again but I started with season 3 final two episodes.

This show is amazing, big fan.

The Angel ones are some of the best episodes, though I pretty much like any plotline that goes more than one episode. Just a very clever, unique show.

I just saw the first episode from 2005 last night. I'd actually never heard of it until a few days ago, but this is definitely my type of show.

According to Wikipedia, Douglas Adams wrote some of the episodes in the late 70s/early 80s. I'll have to go back and check out some of the older ones eventually.

Just started watching the new series on Netflix starting with season 1. Don't know why I've never watched this before but it's great. Two thoughts, I really dig Eccleston as the Dr. And Billie Piper is a hottie. Good writing and the cheesy CGI give it a certain charm. Thumbs up.
I love her in Secret Diary of a Call Girl, except that her teeth bother me.

I just saw the first episode from 2005 last night. I'd actually never heard of it until a few days ago, but this is definitely my type of show.According to Wikipedia, Douglas Adams wrote some of the episodes in the late 70s/early 80s. I'll have to go back and check out some of the older ones eventually.
Neil Gaiman also wrote one of the best of the recent episodes.

Never saw any Dr Who ever - if wanted to try this out, is it best to just start with first season of this new series? Or start with original series? Or something else?

Never saw any Dr Who ever - if wanted to try this out, is it best to just start with first season of this new series? Or start with original series? Or something else?
I'd say start with the beginning of the new series (Eccleston as Dr. Who) If you don't want to go back that far, you could probably just start at the beginning of the Matt Smith era.

I've never seen anything before the new series. It's pretty good about getting you up to speed.If you wanted to see a good episode to see if you'd like it, you might try something like Blink, which works perfectly as a stand alone.

You don't need to go back to the original series, and the new series is kinda split. The Eccelston/Tenant parts and then the Matt Smith part. A lot of what happened in the Eccelston season carried over to Tenant but the Matt Smith very little carried over. But it is all worth watching

I decided to start over at season one and and am half way thru season two. I never got any farther than season 3 when it first aired. Looking forward to catching up.

I'd say start with the beginning of the new series (Eccleston as Dr. Who) If you don't want to go back that far, you could probably just start at the beginning of the Matt Smith era.
I'll disagree. Matt Smith is my least favorite of the new series and I actually hated the new intro when he came on board. It made the series more about Pond than the Dr.I waiver on who I like better as The Dr. My gut always says Ecclesten and if I got one more season with him, I'm positive it would've been him. Tennent was great but I felt he over acted some of his rage and anger. But I got really used to him and how he portrayed the character. Smith is doing alright but I find myself liking Rory the most, then The Dr., and with Amy I waiver between liking her and thinking she's a moron. Side note, Rose and Donna have been my favorite companions. Both for very different reasons.

I'll disagree. Matt Smith is my least favorite of the new series and I actually hated the new intro when he came on board. It made the series more about Pond than the Dr.I waiver on who I like better as The Dr. My gut always says Ecclesten and if I got one more season with him, I'm positive it would've been him. Tennent was great but I felt he over acted some of his rage and anger. But I got really used to him and how he portrayed the character. Smith is doing alright but I find myself liking Rory the most, then The Dr., and with Amy I waiver between liking her and thinking she's a moron. Side note, Rose and Donna have been my favorite companions. Both for very different reasons.
I agree with every single thing you wrote here. The show really took on a new tone (more kid oriented, IMO) with a new Dr, new writers/showrunner, etc after season 4. It's great that they keep changing it to keep it from getting stale, but the Matt Smith seasons haven't been as good for much of the reasons you stated, IMO.I also have grown to loathe River Song, really liked her introduction in "The Library" 2-part episode (those were great episodes) but she got annoying very quickly. Haven't seen any of the new season yet, there is a new companion coming this year, isn't there?

I agree with every single thing you wrote here. The show really took on a new tone (more kid oriented, IMO) with a new Dr, new writers/showrunner, etc after season 4. It's great that they keep changing it to keep it from getting stale, but the Matt Smith seasons haven't been as good for much of the reasons you stated, IMO.I also have grown to loathe River Song, really liked her introduction in "The Library" 2-part episode (those were great episodes) but she got annoying very quickly. Haven't seen any of the new season yet, there is a new companion coming this year, isn't there?
River is a new person I have issues with. Her intro was cool and I thought they played her parentage well but she is too cocky to be someone I really like. I havent caught the new episode but reports are a new companion starts after the angels episode and Matt Smith will be replaced after this year. Matt has an interesting mix of really goofy and psycho that I find disturbing and appealing. Oddly, I find the psycho more appealing. I really don't know what that says about me.

River is a new person I have issues with. Her intro was cool and I thought they played her parentage well but she is too cocky to be someone I really like. I havent caught the new episode but reports are a new companion starts after the angels episode and Matt Smith will be replaced after this year. Matt has an interesting mix of really goofy and psycho that I find disturbing and appealing. Oddly, I find the psycho more appealing. I really don't know what that says about me.
I think I would have liked Matt Smith better had the show not revolved around Amy Pond. I enjoyed the character for awhile, but she continued to eat up more and more of the story. The likeability of Rory helped stem that a bit, but then you have River so all in all I think the direction away from The Doctor hurt Matt and the show.My favorite companion is actually Martha Jones. It's too bad she didn't get much of a run. I couldn't stand Donna Noble, but she didn't take over the show like Amy did so it didn't matter too much.

I think I would have liked Matt Smith better had the show not revolved around Amy Pond. I enjoyed the character for awhile, but she continued to eat up more and more of the story. The likeability of Rory helped stem that a bit, but then you have River so all in all I think the direction away from The Doctor hurt Matt and the show.My favorite companion is actually Martha Jones. It's too bad she didn't get much of a run. I couldn't stand Donna Noble, but she didn't take over the show like Amy did so it didn't matter too much.
That's interesting. I'll agree with everything you said about Amy, Rory, River and Matt. It's funny, for me Martha was never really relevant. She was too moony eyed and desperate for the Doctor's attention for me to like her. No really great storylines and because she was so live sick, seemed the "weakest" of the Doctor's companions. I didn't actively dislike her but I didn't like her either.

Just started with season 1 on Netflix today. :thumbup: :thumbup:

On episode 7 right now. I'll probably get one more episode in tonight

Love the mix of scifi/camp

Almost to the end of Season 6.

What an awesome show.

Watched "The Girl Who Waited" last night. That's a top 3 episode for me.

ok

I feel deficient as a nerd because I have never watched a single episode of any Dr Who series.

ok

I feel deficient as a nerd because I have never watched a single episode of any Dr Who series.
Start watching whenever you can. You will not be disappointed. It really is some of the best TV being made right now under any genre.

Users who are viewing this thread