What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mike Tyson's Punch Out (1 Viewer)

My kids and their cousins started playing this recently on one of the multiple systems they all have. They started telling me about the game and I feigned interest while they told me about each player you had to beat. When I finally told them that I had played an finished the game they were amazed. I told them to be careful because Tyson likes to bite people's ears now.

Great game.

My kids and their cousins started playing this recently on one of the multiple systems they all have. They started telling me about the game and I feigned interest while they told me about each player you had to beat. When I finally told them that I had played an finished the game they were amazed. I told them to be careful because Tyson likes to bite people's ears now.

Great game.
You should have let them think you knew nothing and then sat down and played. You could have been revered as a video game savant.

True story. I recorded my matches against Tyson so I could study the tape. Damn I wish I still had those vs tapes

Beating Tyson was an achievement, man that game was awesome. Beating Tiger in Tiger Woods PGA Tour in the early iterations was a nice 2a to beating Tyson, but even that is not even close.

Congrats, ghostguy!

Beating Tyson was an achievement, man that game was awesome. Beating Tiger in Tiger Woods PGA Tour in the early iterations was a nice 2a to beating Tyson, but even that is not even close.

Congrats, ghostguy!
I never beat Tyson. :kicksrock:

A friend of mine owns an arcade with a bunch of classic games. You walk in, pay a flat fee, and then all the games are set up as free play. It's pretty cool.

Anyway, he has a "Punch Out," not the Mike Tyson console one, but mostly the same of course. I played once fully expecting to knock out Glass Joe, but I couldn't for the life of me remember the pattern. He knocked me out. :bag:

A friend of mine owns an arcade with a bunch of classic games. You walk in, pay a flat fee, and then all the games are set up as free play. It's pretty cool.

Anyway, he has a "Punch Out," not the Mike Tyson console one, but mostly the same of course. I played once fully expecting to knock out Glass Joe, but I couldn't for the life of me remember the pattern. He knocked me out. :bag:
BODY BLOW!!!! BODY BLOW!!! BODY BLOW!!!

Arcade stand up had more risqué names than the Nintendo console version. Vodka Drunkinshi vs Soda Popinski.

:doh:

I don't know if that's how you beat him. I actually never played the arcade version. But I remember walking through arcades and hearing that machine yelling that over and over. I remember thinking that it looked like you were some kind of Tron robot fighting other people. I didn't quite get that you looked that way so you could see the guy you were fighting. :bag:

I don't know if that's how you beat him. I actually never played the arcade version. But I remember walking through arcades and hearing that machine yelling that over and over. I remember thinking that it looked like you were some kind of Tron robot fighting other people. I didn't quite get that you looked that way so you could see the guy you were fighting. :bag:
Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I think Glass Joe was just a button masher. You keep giving him body blows and then hit him with an upper cut when he is dazed and he goes down.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I think Glass Joe was just a button masher. You keep giving him body blows and then hit him with an upper cut when he is dazed and he goes down.
Mostly...If you got him on his wind-up, you got an upper cut. The key was to dodge, then hit him to stun him, then upper-cut. He was pretty easy, but he did kind of lack a clear pattern. The easiest by far was Don Flamenco the 1st time.

Mr. Sandman and Bald Bull scared the piss out of me on the arcade version. Got my ### kicked by those fools many times. Still get mild anxiety thinking about them. Super Macho Man was also a beast.

Mr. Sandman and Bald Bull scared the piss out of me on the arcade version. Got my ### kicked by those fools many times. Still get mild anxiety thinking about them. Super Macho Man was also a beast.
I remember having a ton of trouble with Super Macho Man. Only beat him a handful of times and then would just use the Tyson code over and over (to no avail :bag: )

Arcade stand up had more risqué names than the Nintendo console version. Vodka Drunkinshi vs Soda Popinski.
Always bummed me out that Kid Quick never made it into the NES version.

Never beat Tyson. I could sit down and not lose a match right up until fighting Mike and just never could do it. I remember the stress being off the charts watching him flash and change colors. Good times.

When I used to go to my parents beach house I would break out the NES and play this at least once a year.

Gong a year between fights, the second bald bull is tough as nails and I've prolly lost more matches to Mr. Sandman then Tyson.

That dude is in my head and he knows it! :boxing:

Is it even possible to "beat" games these days? I haven't gamed in a few years but it seemed like they were making games incredibly deep. Even if you "beat" a game there was a harder level, something to collect along the way, downloadable levels, etc. It's like the games go on forever.

Bull Dozier said:
I'm interested in hearing more about this. How many games does he have? Where is his place located? Is it profitable?

Bull Dozier said:
I'm interested in hearing more about this. How many games does he have? Where is his place located? Is it profitable?
Someone came up with Barcade. Genius. One here now but have yet to hit it.

http://www.cleveland.com/bars/index.ssf/2014/03/columbus-based_16-bit_bararcad.html

Bull Dozier said:
He has about 50 games, maybe? I'm estimating. He has them in two different rooms in a building he owns in a suburb of St. Paul. He bought a building with an established tennat and had a couple of extra rooms. He's a video game junkie and had a couple at his house already. Since he had some extra space, he just gave into his addiction and started buying more.

I don't think it is profitable. His established tennant pays the mortgage for the building. He isn't open every day or anything. He has 2-3 days a month he opens. It's probably just to help fund more game purchases.

Watch a master play it here... blindfolded:

Every fight in the game is based off of patterns. The guy in the video uses sound cues to figure out which set of moves a boxer is about to use, and he responds accordingly.

Except for Tyson. No detectable pattern, he could throw any punch, so beating it blindfolded is just guessing the correct button inputs at the right time. And you need a lot of correct guesses to beat Tyson.

Users who are viewing this thread