What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"I'm A Cop, Just Cooperate [or else] (1 Viewer)

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/2014/08/19/3255410/sunil-dutta-im-a-cop-just-cooperate.html

A teen-ager is fatally shot by a police officer; the police are accused of being bloodthirsty, trigger-happy murderers; riots erupt. This, we are led to believe, is the way of things in America.

It is also a terrible calumny; cops are not murderers. No officer goes out in the field wishing to shoot anyone, armed or unarmed. And while they're unlikely to defend it quite as loudly during a time of national angst like this one, people who work in law enforcement know they are legally vested with the authority to detain suspects -- an authority that must sometimes be enforced. Regardless of what happened with Mike Brown, in the overwhelming majority of cases it is not the cops, but the people they stop, who can prevent detentions from turning into tragedies.

Working the street, I can't even count how many times I withstood curses, screaming tantrums, aggressive and menacing encroachments on my safety zone, and outright challenges to my authority. In the vast majority of such encounters, I was able to peacefully resolve the situation without using force. Cops deploy their training and their intuition creatively, and I wielded every trick in my arsenal, including verbal judo, humor, warnings and ostentatious displays of the lethal (and nonlethal) hardware resting in my duty belt. Sometimes, though, no amount of persuasion or warnings work on a belligerent person; that's when cops have to use force, and the results can be tragic. We are still learning what transpired between Officer Darren Wilson and Brown, but in most cases it's less ambiguous -- and officers are rarely at fault. When they use force, they are defending their, or the public's, safety.

Even though it might sound harsh and impolitic, here is the bottom line: if you don't want to get shot, tased, pepper-sprayed, struck with a baton or thrown to the ground, just do what I tell you. Don't argue with me, don't call me names, don't tell me that I can't stop you, don't say I'm a racist pig, don't threaten that you'll sue me and take away my badge. Don't scream at me that you pay my salary, and don't even think of aggressively walking towards me. Most field stops are complete in minutes. How difficult is it to cooperate for that long?

I know it is scary for people to be stopped by cops. I also understand the anger and frustration if people believe they have been stopped unjustly or without a reason. I am aware that corrupt and bully cops exist. When it comes to police misconduct, I side with the ACLU: Having worked as an internal affairs investigator, I know that some officers engage in unprofessional and arrogant behavior; sometimes they behave like criminals themselves. I also believe every cop should use a body camera to record interactions with the community at all times. Every police car should have a video recorder. (This will prevent a situation like Mike Brown's shooting, about which conflicting and self-serving statements allow people to believe what they want.)

But if you believe (or know) that the cop stopping you is violating your rights or is acting like a bully, I guarantee that the situation will not become easier if you show your anger and resentment. Worse, initiating a physical confrontation is a sure recipe for getting hurt. Police are legally permitted to use deadly force when they assess a serious threat to their or someone else's life. Later, you can ask for a supervisor, lodge a complaint or contact civil rights organizations if you believe your rights were violated. Feel free to sue the police! Just don't challenge a cop during a stop.

An average person cannot comprehend the risks and has no true understanding of a cop's job. Hollywood and television stereotypes of the police are cartoons in which fearless super cops singlehandedly defeat dozens of thugs, shooting guns out of their hands. Real life is different. An average cop is always concerned with his or her safety and tries to control every encounter. That is how we are trained. For you, this might be a "simple" traffic stop; for me each traffic stop is a dangerous encounter. Show some empathy for an officer's safety concerns. Don't make our job more difficult than it already is.

Community members deserve courtesy, respect and professionalism from their officers. Every person stopped by a cop should feel safe instead of feeling that their wellbeing is in jeopardy. Shouldn't the community members extend the same courtesy to their officers and project that the officer's safety is not threatened by their actions?

Sunil Dutta, a professor of homeland security at Colorado Tech University, has been an officer with the Los Angeles Police Department for 17 years. He wrote this for the Los Angeles Times; www.latimes.com.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been pulled over going over 100 mph on a highway and other times interacted with LE while extremely intoxicated. I always act respectful and never have had a problem. I think it is a pretty simple cause and effect.

I've been pulled over going over 100 mph on a highway and other times interacted with LE while extremely intoxicated. I always act respectful and never have had a problem. I think it is a pretty simple cause and effect.
I'm going to take a shot in the dark but...white guy 30-50 years of age?

I'm going to take a shot in the dark but...white guy 30-50 years of age?
Most of my interactions were as a teenager and early 20 something, not many in the last decade... I've had my car searched "bc of a marijuana smell" and I let them do what they had to do and was on my way after a brief inconvenience. If you aren't doing anything wrong, acting polite and respectively will move the process along much quicker and easier.

If you act like an #######, you're inviting trouble.

This article certainly won't win any awards for best timing, but I think there is some merit to what he says. These cops put their lives on the line everyday; and if you're going to behave in a belligerent and threatening manner toward them, be prepared to be taken at face value and don't be surprised if things escalate quickly if you don't cooperate because these cops have probably been trained to shut suspected perps down hard as it's probably been proven to save both their life and the lives of the suspect more often than not.

This seems like the most crucial part:

But if you believe (or know) that the cop stopping you is violating your rights or is acting like a bully, I guarantee that the situation will not become easier if you show your anger and resentment. Worse, initiating a physical confrontation is a sure recipe for getting hurt. Police are legally permitted to use deadly force when they assess a serious threat to their or someone else's life. Later, you can ask for a supervisor, lodge a complaint or contact civil rights organizations if you believe your rights were violated. Feel free to sue the police! Just don't challenge a cop during a stop.
I mean, I know that's easy to say as a middle aged white guy, but if you think a cop is corrupt or out of control, choosing to escalate things is definitely going to end badly for you.

In the case in Ferguson, no matter which version of the story is true, it sounds like if Brown had simply listened and gotten out of the road that it probably would have ended the entire encounter right there. Or at the very worst he would have been questioned and arrested for shoplifting.

I mean, I know that's easy to say as a middle aged white guy, but if you think a cop is corrupt or out of control, choosing to escalate things is definitely going to end badly for you.

In the case in Ferguson, no matter which version of the story is true, it sounds like if Brown had simply listened and gotten out of the road that it probably would have ended the entire encounter right there. Or at the very worst he would have been questioned and arrested for shoplifting.
What would you say is "escalating" when it comes to being stopped by the cops?

Not cooperating.

Best comment I saw on that article: he's basically saying about police abuse what Stephen A. Smith said about domestic abuse.

:goodposting: Reminds me of the post about the kid who refused to roll his window down while sober at a sobriety check-point. Yeah...he knew his legal rights, but he lacked common sense.

Not cooperating.
Cool. So if the cop whips out his schlong and tells you to blow him or you're getting a ticket you're hitting your knees?

Best comment I saw on that article: he's basically saying about police abuse what Stephen A. Smith said about domestic abuse.
I'm sure even you can see the enormous difference between the two situations, but nice try. You're doing some amazing work in the other thread.

I mean, I know that's easy to say as a middle aged white guy, but if you think a cop is corrupt or out of control, choosing to escalate things is definitely going to end badly for you.In the case in Ferguson, no matter which version of the story is true, it sounds like if Brown had simply listened and gotten out of the road that it probably would have ended the entire encounter right there. Or at the very worst he would have been questioned and arrested for shoplifting.
Not cooperating.
Cool. So if the cop whips out his schlong and tells you to blow him or you're getting a ticket you're hitting your knees?
.... Please show us on the doll where the evil cops touched you Pete. No one will judge you.

I mean, I know that's easy to say as a middle aged white guy, but if you think a cop is corrupt or out of control, choosing to escalate things is definitely going to end badly for you.In the case in Ferguson, no matter which version of the story is true, it sounds like if Brown had simply listened and gotten out of the road that it probably would have ended the entire encounter right there. Or at the very worst he would have been questioned and arrested for shoplifting.
Not cooperating.
.... Please show us on the doll where the evil cops touched you Pete. No one will judge you.
Answer the question. Or please define what you mean by "cooperate".

Officer Pete Malloy said:
Reegus said:
Dondante said:
GroveDiesel said:

Not cooperating.
JFC you are one huge doucher. You do what the cop says/asks. Assuming, of course, it's not the OPM fantasy where fellatio is on the table.

There was a similar sentiment expressed in New Orleans in the 90s. It was really unfortunate that the woman those two cops brutally raped during an arrest had to speak to their supervisors later.

Good link:

I like the contrast between this guy's "cops are not murderers" and \

OCTOBER 13, 1994Officer Len Davis caught on tape ordering a hit on a civilianNew Orleans resident Kim Marie Groves witnesses Officer Davis beating up a neighborhood teenager and files a formal complaint with the police. Within hours, a colleague tells Davis about Groves' allegations. The next night Groves is shot dead in front of her house. Davis had planned her hit -- it was inadvertently recorded by federal officials who are investigating a cocaine ring involving Davis.
Paradoxically, Davis had a reputation for being both roguish and a good cop: Between 1987 and 1992, he received 20 complaints and was suspended six times. He was also awarded the NOPD's second highest honor, the Medal of Merit, in 1993. "He was Robocop to some people," historian Leonard Moore tells FRONTLINE. "But then he was, I would say, Officer Friendly to other people."

Tried and sentenced to death for Groves' murder, Davis remains on death row. He is one of nine officers later indicted on federal weapons and drug charges for their participation in the cocaine ring; a half dozen, including Davis, are convicted.

Reegus said:
Dondante said:
GroveDiesel said:

Not cooperating.
JFC you are one huge doucher. You do what the cop says/asks. Assuming, of course, it's not the OPM fantasy where fellatio is on the table.
Answer the other question then. Do you believe cooperation means consenting to an illegal/unwarranted search?

Braktastic said:
This article certainly won't win any awards for best timing, but I think there is some merit to what he says. These cops put their lives on the line everyday; and if you're going to behave in a belligerent and threatening manner toward them, be prepared to be taken at face value and don't be surprised if things escalate quickly if you don't cooperate because these cops have probably been trained to shut suspected perps down hard as it's probably been proven to save both their life and the lives of the suspect more often than not.
Less cops killed by people shooting them last year than any year since 1899. In fact being a police officer is no longer amongst the top ten most dangerous jobs. Further more are killed in car crashes than any other way. So the whole it so dangerous thing starts to wear thin when they keep gunning down unarmed people. They are supposed to be professionals and they need to start acting like it, not like an armed gang.

If cops were shooting whites they way they are blacks this whole country would be on fire.

Problem is there is a difference between "cooperating" and not consenting to a violation of your civil rights. If an officer asks to search my car and I say "No. You have no probable cause." am I being difficult or non co-operative cause I won't do exactly what I was told? Assume I have nothing to hide in the car, but I also know my rights and I won't have them trampled upon by over zealous law enforcement.

ETA: NM

Problem is there is a difference between "cooperating" and not consenting to a violation of your civil rights. If an officer asks to search my car and I say "No. You have no probable cause." am I being difficult or non co-operative cause I won't do exactly what I was told? Assume I have nothing to hide in the car, but I also know my rights and I won't have them trampled upon by over zealous law enforcement.
From the article:

Sure sounds like he's saying you best agree to have your rights trampled, or we might end up ####ing you up.

Reegus said:
Dondante said:
GroveDiesel said:

Not cooperating.
Answer the other question then. Do you believe cooperation means consenting to an illegal/unwarranted search?
I have consented to an illegal search when I was 18... They even called in the town K-9 dog to smell my car and look for pot, which there was none. It was a gigantic waste of 30 minutes, I had just picked up a shrimp parm that I was dying to eat, and although I needed to reheat when arriving home, I came home fine and unharmed, just slightly behind schedule. No big deal.

Reegus said:
Dondante said:
GroveDiesel said:

Not cooperating.
Do I have anything to hide?

From the article:

Sure sounds like he's saying you best agree to have your rights trampled, or we might end up ####ing you up.
Sure sounds like you have one hell of a persecution complex. Don't break the law and you won't have to worry about an unnecessary search. I'd rather have cops search unnecessarily and find a threat than not be able to do so and miss one.

From the article:

Personally, I don't disagree...again, excluding some whacky BDSM scenario, if you have nothing to hide, why do you care? Why is it that your rights are "trampled on," and not just that you got searched when you shouldn't have? It's not some huge injustice in most cases. If a cop is clearly on a power trip and wants to search my car and I have nothing to hide, go ahead! I get that we all have rights. If we repeatedly had them "trampled on," maybe I'd feel more strongly...I don't understand what benefit the wrongfully accused gets from holding fast to their rights at the expense of angering someone already on a power trip instead of just saying, "I know I'm innocent, so you can search and do whatever you want."

Loan Sharks said:
It is always surprising how many people think starting #### with a guy packing a gun police or not is a wise decision.
Can you define "starting ####"?
Sure, doing anything that might piss them off. I personally am the picture of politeness and not making any sudden moves around people that can kill me.

I saw a interview with Geordi Laforge from star trek talking about how he has taught his son to show his hands and speak to police because he is black and he didnt want him to get shot, Ever since I have performed the Laforge technique of dealing with police not because I am black just because it is a real good idea for anyone when dealing with a armed individual.

It's pretty sad that you need someone on a message board to define for you how to not antagonize another person, I am pretty surprised you have not been shot yet.

If I get pulled over at nighttime (which I haven't in prob 6-7 years), I instantly turn all of the lights in my car on and keep my hands on the steering wheel until the cop is at my window. Instantly sets the tone that I am a law abiding citizen with zero to hide and makes the interaction as easy on both of us as possible.

This is a good starting point for not only "not starting ####" but also being easy to deal with.

From the article:

Sure sounds like you have one hell of a persecution complex. Don't break the law and you won't have to worry about an unnecessary search. I'd rather have cops search unnecessarily and find a threat than not be able to do so and miss one.
Nice. It didn't take long for someone to throw out the ol' "If I'm not doing anything wrong, I have nothing to worry about" line.

From the article:

Nice. It didn't take long for someone to throw out the ol' "If I'm not doing anything wrong, I have nothing to worry about" line.
That line comes out bc it is true in about 999,999 out of 1,000,000 scenarios.

From the article:

It shouldn't take very long. It's a pretty simple concept.

I don't think the title of the article said "or else." It said if you don't want to get hurt, don't challenge me. And it should be noted that the guy who wrote it is very outspoken against corrupt cops and was a IA Officer.

From the article:

Personally, I don't disagree...again, excluding some whacky BDSM scenario, if you have nothing to hide, why do you care? Why is it that your rights are "trampled on," and not just that you got searched when you shouldn't have? It's not some huge injustice in most cases. If a cop is clearly on a power trip and wants to search my car and I have nothing to hide, go ahead! I get that we all have rights. If we repeatedly had them "trampled on," maybe I'd feel more strongly...I don't understand what benefit the wrongfully accused gets from holding fast to their rights at the expense of angering someone already on a power trip instead of just saying, "I know I'm innocent, so you can search and do whatever you want."
There are plenty of things you might want to keep private other than "some whacky BDSM scenario."

More importantly, taking the "if you've done nothing wrong you have nothing to hide" position is incredibly dangerous. If everyone does that then the Constitution goes out the window and cops will just stop everyone until they find the criminals, because hey, everyone else is cool with it!

Loan Sharks said:
It is always surprising how many people think starting #### with a guy packing a gun police or not is a wise decision.
Sure, doing anything that might piss them off. I personally am the picture of politeness and not making any sudden moves around people that can kill me.

I saw a interview with Geordi Laforge from star trek talking about how he has taught his son to show his hands and speak to police because he is black and he didnt want him to get shot, Ever since I have performed the Laforge technique of dealing with police not because I am black just because it is a real good idea for anyone when dealing with a armed individual.

It's pretty sad that you need someone on a message board to define for you how to not antagonize another person, I am pretty surprised you have not been shot yet.
To be fair, he spent half his life in a era without gun powder.

From the article:

Because the Fourth Amendment.

If I get pulled over at nighttime (which I haven't in prob 6-7 years), I instantly turn all of the lights in my car on and keep my hands on the steering wheel until the cop is at my window. Instantly sets the tone that I am a law abiding citizen with zero to hide and makes the interaction as easy on both of us as possible.

This is a good starting point for not only "not starting ####" but also being easy to deal with.
This. I do the same thing. I actually had an officer notice one time. The first thing he said was "Thanks for turning your dome light on. We really appreciate that." He went on to tell me I was speeding, etc..but let me off with a warning. Doubt he'd have done the same if I had my hands in my pockets and my music up when he walked up...all of which are well within my rights to do...

Geordi Laforge says put your hands out the window with keys in hand that is safer.

Loan Sharks said:

To be fair, he spent half his life in a era without gun powder.
:lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread