What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

St. Louis Police release cell phone video of Powell shooting (1 Viewer)

Fennis

Footballguy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTBPtWUJqPM&feature=youtu.be (NSFW)

St. Louis Police Release Video Of Kajieme Powell Killing That Appears At Odds With Their Story

The St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department released cell phone footage Wednesday of the police shooting of Kajieme Powell, a 25-year-old black man killed on Tuesday in St. Louis, according to St. Louis Public Radio.

A convenience store owner called 911 on Tuesday when he suspected Powell stole drinks and donuts from his shop, according to a recording of the call. Another woman called to report Powell was acting erratically and had a knife in his pocket.

Two officers in a police SUV responded to the calls, the cell phone video shows. When the officers got out of their vehicle, Powell walked in their direction, yelling and telling them to shoot him already.

St. Louis Police Chief Sam Dotson said Tuesday that both of the officers opened fire on Powell when he came within a three or four feet of them holding a knife "in an overhand grip."

But the newly released cell phone footage undermines the statement, showing Powell approaching the cops, but not coming as close as was reported, with his hands at his side. The officers began shooting within 15 seconds of their arrival, hitting Powell with a barrage of bullets.

The St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department released the video and 911 calls, telling St. Louis Public Radio that it plans to act transparently.

The shooting death occurred less than four miles from where Michael Brown was fatally shot by a police officer in the suburb of Ferguson on Aug. 9.

St. Louis Police Release Video Of Kajieme Powell Killing That Appears At Odds With Their Story

The St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department released cell phone footage Wednesday of the police shooting of Kajieme Powell, a 25-year-old black man killed on Tuesday in St. Louis, according to St. Louis Public Radio.

A convenience store owner called 911 on Tuesday when he suspected Powell stole drinks and donuts from his shop, according to a recording of the call. Another woman called to report Powell was acting erratically and had a knife in his pocket.

Two officers in a police SUV responded to the calls, the cell phone video shows. When the officers got out of their vehicle, Powell walked in their direction, yelling and telling them to shoot him already.

St. Louis Police Chief Sam Dotson said Tuesday that both of the officers opened fire on Powell when he came within a three or four feet of them holding a knife "in an overhand grip."

But the newly released cell phone footage undermines the statement, showing Powell approaching the cops, but not coming as close as was reported, with his hands at his side. The officers began shooting within 15 seconds of their arrival, hitting Powell with a barrage of bullets.

The St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department released the video and 911 calls, telling St. Louis Public Radio that it plans to act transparently.

The shooting death occurred less than four miles from where Michael Brown was fatally shot by a police officer in the suburb of Ferguson on Aug. 9.
Come on.

I'm not sure why the cops wouldn't use their tasers. Can somone explain?
Wasn't like a standoff. This escalated immediately. He was screaming shoot me and was coming at the cops. Got within 5 feet.

The "overhand grip" did not happen but I don't know what you would expect the cops to do in this instance.

I couldn't tell if he was holding a knife.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is ####### insane. No wonder people have lost faith in the police force.

Those cops should do time.

Wasn't like a standoff. This escalated immediately. He was screaming shoot me and was coming at the cops. Got within 5 feet.The "overhand grip" did not happen but I don't know what you would expect the cops to do in this instance.

Subdue him without using deadly force.

Gotta think that if you come at cops with a knife and daring them to shoot you...they will...just about 100% of the time. Regardless of city, race, religion, etc.

Come on.
It did enflame what was going on in Ferguson. :shrug:

Gotta think that if you come at cops with a knife and daring them to shoot you...they will...just about 100% of the time. Regardless of city, race, religion, etc.
maybe so. I dont know. when do they use a taser?

Wasn't like a standoff. This escalated immediately. He was screaming shoot me and was coming at the cops. Got within 5 feet.The "overhand grip" did not happen but I don't know what you would expect the cops to do in this instance.

Their was an incident I think in California recently. Maybe New Mexico. Schizo guy was standing 25 feet from the cops holding a knife. Spouting off incoherent ramblings. He was surrounded by cops. Was a standoff. They shot him dead when he didn't cooperate. It was the video where they were handcuffing him as he bleed out. They could have subdued him without deadly force.

This was nothing like that incident. This popped off right away.

Did he actually have a knife? I'm watching on my phone and can't see.

If he did, I don't think you can blame the cops. In general, when the cops point guns at you and you walk towards them menacingly saying "Shoot me mother####er," well, I don't like your chances.

Their was an incident I think in California recently. Maybe New Mexico. Schizo guy was standing 25 feet from the cops holding a knife. Spouting off incoherent ramblings. He was surrounded by cops. Was a standoff. They shot him dead when he didn't cooperate. It was the video where they were handcuffing him as he bleed out. They could have subdued him without deadly force.

Think I found the video

The first 1:10 establishes that the guy shooting the video knew he was causing trouble and was looking to challenge anyone. Lame suicide by cops.

Think I found the video
:lmao:

Also terrifying that people like that exist.

Interesting how a lot of young black men turn crazy and suicidal whenever they are approached by cops. It seems to be an epidemic...

Or how about this poor guy was suffering from some sort of mental illness and was acting totally irrational?

Note: No way the cops could know this. It is a very sad fact that (almost) regardless of the backstory or motive behind the actions if someone comes at the police with a weapon it is going to end up very badly.

I didn't see the knife either, but the cops told him to drop it, and others around him pleaded with him to drop it too. If he had the knife and came at the cops then there is an argument to be made. Has to be a non-lethal way to bring a guy guilty of robbing two sodas down.

I didn't see the knife either, but the cops told him to drop it, and others around him pleaded with him to drop it too. If he had the knife and came at the cops then there is an argument to be made. Has to be a non-lethal way to bring a guy guilty of robbing two sodas down.
He wasn't shot for stealing two sodas. He was shot for approaching cops with a weapon in a threatening manner.

He wasn't shot for stealing two sodas. He was shot for approaching cops with a weapon in a threatening manner.
They always are.

Yeah, gotta go with the cops on this one. Obviously would have been way better to use Tasers or something non-lethal, but that #### went down quick.

Interesting how a lot of young black men turn crazy and suicidal whenever they are approached by cops. It seems to be an epidemic...
First off, people don't just "turn crazy". Your statement displays gross ignorance about mental health.

Secondly, your post reeks of race-baiting. You may as well have said "Interesting how a lot of young black men like watermelon and fried chicken."

They always are.
Stop making moronic statements about "always." Did you watch this video?

First off, people don't just "turn crazy". Your statement displays gross ignorance about mental health.

Secondly, your post reeks of race-baiting. You may as well have said "Interesting how a lot of young black men like watermelon and fried chicken."

They always are.
Stop making moronic statements about "always." Did you watch this video?

Pretty sure timbo was employing sarcasm there, Cochise.

Pretty sure timbo was employing sarcasm there, Cochise.
Shhh. Tim is reeling them in.

Why isn't the policy to have one officer preparing non-lethal force (mace, taser, etc), and one ready to use lethal force if it proves necessary?

Blast him in the face with that high powered foam #### and it he's still got the knife and isn't stopping, other officer shoots him.

That was just brutal. I thought deadly force was the last option. It could have been handled much better. Twelve rounds fired. Smh.
If anything it shows how so many shots can be fired in a matter of seconds and that's it not a good barometer to determine whether the cops are out for blood.

They always are.
Remind me how long you were a cop.

And getting mugged leaving your checkers tournament doesn't count.

Why isn't the policy to have one officer preparing non-lethal force (mace, taser, etc), and one ready to use lethal force if it proves necessary?

Blast him in the face with that high powered foam #### and it he's still got the knife and isn't stopping, other officer shoots him.
Because the cops don't know the circumstances going in. They should protect themselves like any of us would do.

Because police are not, and should not, be obligated to protect the life of someone who is threatening them with deadly force.

Because police are not, and should not, be obligated to protect the life of someone who is threatening them with deadly force.
And this rule seems to often apply to young black urban males.

OSTFU

Because the cops don't know the circumstances going in. They should protect themselves like any of us would do.
They don't have to know the circumstances for the procedure to be established that one of them goes in ready to mace, the other is ready to drop a guy with his service pistol. If they're informed that the suspect has a gun, bypass the mace and go in like this.

I've read that the police were informed he had a knife by the owner/worker of the store he stole from (man in red stripes in the video), that the owner knew him and that he has mental health issues. If you are pretty sure of the situation going in, it isn't that hard to attempt a non-lethal resolution and it should, in fact, be part of a police officer's job to try to achieve one. They are and should be held to a higher standard than you or I, that's the whole reason we're told to respect them.

Many other countries achieve good policing without the focus on lethal force that we continually display.

Then we disagree. I think, morally, they are and should be obligated to do so until it becomes clear that deadly force is required. The main purpose of a police force should be to protect the citizens they are placed above. That includes the crazy ones, the poor ones, the homeless ones, everyone. Criminal justice systems exist for a reason, and that's because most societies prefer to have criminals punished by a court of law rather than gunned down for their crimes, Judge Dredd style. Maybe we need to decide whether we're going to fix the issue or just take away the pretence of a fair trial for all.

I think it applies to anyone who walks towards cops brandishing a knife as they point firearms at you and tell you to drop it and get down. But if you think it's just racism, by all means, grab a knife, call 911, and have yourself a social experiment.

Then we disagree. I think, morally, they are and should be obligated to do so until it becomes clear that deadly force is required. The main purpose of a police force should be to protect the citizens they are placed above. That includes the crazy ones, the poor ones, the homeless ones, everyone. Criminal justice systems exist for a reason, and that's because most societies prefer to have criminals punished by a court of law rather than gunned down for their crimes, Judge Dredd style. Maybe we need to decide whether we're going to fix the issue or just take away the pretence of a fair trial for all.
You are forgetting that the police also have the obligation and/or right to protect themselves. It is very easy for us that are not in law enforcement to view cops as nothing more than a uniform. They are humans that have families, spouses, children, friends etc.

I will be the first one to stand up and call out any cop that abuses his/her power (see the latest thread I started) but if anyone attempts to use deadly force against a police officer am going to have a hard time condemning the use of deadly force.

Did he actually have a knife? I'm watching on my phone and can't see.

If he did, I don't think you can blame the cops. In general, when the cops point guns at you and you walk towards them menacingly saying "Shoot me mother####er," well, I don't like your chances.
Watched it on a big monitor. It looks to me like he probably does though it's hard to make out for sure. There are a few little flashes that look like something extending off to the right of his hand after he pulls it from his pocket and starts moving towards them. Tried capturing it in an image but it doesn't have the resolution. Easier to see it when the video is moving, but even then, it's tough to be certain.

We don't disagree on the morals. I think we disagree on when it becomes "clear that deadly force is required." Guy with a knife approaching police and ignoring their instructions to get down qualifies for me.

Characterizing this as the police somehow punishing him for his crimes is absurd, obviously.

Cops are not superhero's in shootouts every week. They are scared ####less like any of us would be in these circumstances. Guy comes at you with a knife you shoot them if you have a gun. If you have a baseball bat you bash their head in not aim for their knee to save them. You sure as #### don't go in with mace.

In many other countries there are.

Talk down, pepper spray, shoot in leg.

And these are not academic examples. All have happened in Denmark within the last seven years or so. IIRC the guy who was shot in the legs (I think it was twice) was wielding a katana (the long samurai sword).

Last edited by a moderator:
Death by cop is a form of suicide, no? This is pretty similar to something that happened on Snith St in Brooklyn 8-9 years ago.

Not sure anyone could think the cops had a choice here. Under the current rules of engagement that's a justified shooting. I guess you could make the argument that's not how they would do it in Denmark/Japan/UK and that's a worthy discussion. It doesn't change anything about this situation.

Users who are viewing this thread