What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Paypal question (1 Viewer)

belljr

Footballguy
If i create one account that links to my bank account. I then create a second account and have eveyone send money there.

Is there a fee to transfer money from my 2nd account to my first?

I sent money to a friend last year and paid a fee. I may be remembering wrong, but I think it was because my account was not linked to bank. So that could be issue for you if you are sending money from your account that is not linked.

I sent money to a friend last year and paid a fee. I may be remembering wrong, but I think it was because my account was not linked to bank. So that could be issue for you if you are sending money from your account that is not linked.
If you use credit card or debit card there is a fee

Whenever I transfer money from my PayPal to my bank account they hit me with a fee.
ok thanks 3 pct?so even if I just have one account I get hit fees to put into my real account?

is it safe? As far as layering I read that online :shrug:

Whenever I transfer money from my PayPal to my bank account they hit me with a fee.
ok thanks 3 pct?so even if I just have one account I get hit fees to put into my real account?

is it safe? As far as layering I read that online :shrug:
I think its like 3% + $.30 per transfer, but dont quote me on that. I have no idea what layering is, but as far as safe I've never had a problem with security with PayPal in close to 200 transactions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really? You get hit with a fee for withdrawing money? Never has happened to me.

ETA: Holy christ, you're paying 3% on just withdrawing money from your paypal account to your bank account. You're definitely doing something wrong.

ETA: Holy christ, you're paying 3% on just withdrawing money from your paypal account to your bank account. You're definitely doing something wrong.
How do I avoid it? Like when someine sends me money for an eBay auction, then transfer that money to my bank account, I get charged. They don't charge the buyer, but they gotta charge someone...PayPal isn't free, I don't know how you're NOT getting charged.

If i create one account that links to my bank account. I then create a second account and have eveyone send money there.

Is there a fee to transfer money from my 2nd account to my first?
The second account will have to be tied to another bank account to avoid a fee.

How do I avoid it? Like when someine sends me money for an eBay auction, then transfer that money to my bank account, I get charged. They don't charge the buyer, but they gotta charge someone...PayPal isn't free, I don't know how you're NOT getting charged.
You're getting charged for receiving the payment, not for transfering the money to your bank account.

Right. So it makes sense then. The only way there's ever money in my PayPal account is because someone sends it to me. Why else or how else would there be money in my PayPal account?

:shrug:

They changed the way they charge fees back in '13. It has to be marked by the sender as a "gift from friend and family" ( NOT "paying for goods and services") and must be sent using an existing Paypal fund balance and/or bank account, then you can receive it without paying a fee. And transferring to your bank account is free. No fee for transferring out of your Paypal account unless it's to a credit/debit card.

Is Pope Francis a good Pope?

I think that the new Pope is the best in my lifetime. Seems to really care about the people and acknowledging mistakes of the Church over a long period of time.

What? This isn't a thread about Papal questions? :doh:

Never mind.

I have transferred from one account to another for several years now. Did one just a little while ago just to test it out. Still works. The key is clicking that "gift for friends or family" button, and then just don't put anything incriminating in the description (such as "gambling", "lottery", etc.) or it could get your account flagged.

no fee to send money person to person. such a great feature of paypal.
The fee is on the receiver, unless the sender is funded or tied to a bank
If you're not funded or tied to a bank, how are you sending money? Via credit card? That would make sense why there's a fee.
yes. many people don't want to stick money in a paypal account or give them direct access to their checking, so their paypal payments are made with a credit card or debit card. there's no fee for the sender; only the receiver. the problem is that as a receiver, you have no control of how the sender funds their account.

no fee to send money person to person. such a great feature of paypal.
The fee is on the receiver, unless the sender is funded or tied to a bank
If you're not funded or tied to a bank, how are you sending money? Via credit card? That would make sense why there's a fee.
yes. many people don't want to stick money in a paypal account or give them direct access to their checking, so their paypal payments are made with a credit card or debit card. there's no fee for the sender; only the receiver. the problem is that as a receiver, you have no control of how the sender funds their account.
I've heard of those people.

So PayPal can eat a ####. My wife organizes a trip every year. It started with close friends and now it's friends of friends. My wife "knows" everyone on the trip.

anyway she decided to setup PayPal as a way for people to pay. We put the hotel on our credit card and everyone reimburses her basically. Everything was fine until the last 2 payments. They started taking a fee.

She checked with the girls and they said they did friend and family. PayPal told them to request a refund from the seller and resend it. The girl explained she didn't buy anything.

my wife then receives an email that she has received too many friends and family payments. She explained what was happening and they said "oh well" any more of these and they will close her account. So now she has ate 2 fees and can't get the last 240 since it is on hold for 21 days.

Yeah i know someone who runs an NCAA pool and accepts payment from Paypal. After about hundred people paid paypal sent him a message stating he cant run ncaa brackets using paypal and put a stop on his account.

Yeah i know someone who runs an NCAA pool and accepts payment from Paypal. After about hundred people paid paypal sent him a message stating he cant run ncaa brackets using paypal and put a stop on his account.
i understand they don't want gambling and such but we are just collecting money for the trip. Oh well last time we do this.

i understand they don't want gambling and such but we are just collecting money for the trip. Oh well last time we do this.
yeah but how did they know it was gambling? It seems like a flag went off due to a certain number of transactions similar to your wifes account

If the people paying your wife are funding it with a credit card, someone has to pay the fee. The sender can elect to pay it on their end, but if they don't, the reciever has to pay it. It costs PayPal an interchange fee to process credit card transactions.

There's no interchange when transfering from a bank account or using what's already in your PayPal balance. So if the people paying you slect the funding method of coming right from their checking account, no one pays any fee.

Also, having two (or more) accounts is possible and you can transfer between them, but if PayPal picks up on it, they will stop it due to Anti-Money Laundering safe guards. Same as they will if they think you're paying others for gambling/lotteries.

No one in using a credit card. It was paypal to paypal just like the first 30 transactions
All the transactions are PayPal to PayPal, but how they fund the payment in their PayPal account, before sending it to you, is what matters.

If they send you $50 from their PayPal account, PayPal has to get $50 from them somehow. If they choose to use their credit card to "pay" PayPal that $50 to give to you, there will be a fee. If they choose to "pay" PayPal by taking it out of their checking account, there is no fee.

No one in using a credit card. It was paypal to paypal just like the first 30 transactions
All the transactions are PayPal to PayPal, but how they fund the payment in their PayPal account, before sending it to you, is what matters.

If they send you $50 from their PayPal account, PayPal has to get $50 from them somehow. If they choose to use their credit card to "pay" PayPal that $50 to give to you, there will be a fee. If they choose to "pay" PayPal by taking it out of their checking account, there is no fee.
and I'm telling after the 30th or so transaction they charged a fee. My wife called the woman and she said it was linked to her bank account

and I'm telling after the 30th or so transaction they charged a fee. My wife called the woman and she said it was linked to her bank account
I had a situation a while ago that sounds the same. I set up my PP account tying it to my bank account. Some time later, I went to make a transaction purchase using PP and it said it would go quicker if I had a credit/debit card tied to the account (I had a zero balance in PP). So I chose to do this. Well, future transactions to friends must have automatically used the debit card because fees started showing up. So I had to go into my profile and remove the card. Everything back to normal now.

My point is that they may have both tied to their account and not remember it. They can check in their profile to see.

I had a situation a while ago that sounds the same. I set up my PP account tying it to my bank account. Some time later, I went to make a transaction purchase using PP and it said it would go quicker if I had a credit/debit card tied to the account (I had a zero balance in PP). So I chose to do this. Well, future transactions to friends must have automatically used the debit card because fees started showing up. So I had to go into my profile and remove the card. Everything back to normal now.

My point is that they may have both tied to their account and not remember it. They can check in their profile to see.
thanks...I'll have her check. My wife said she got a few more today with no issues. We are convinced the woman is a dope and made a mistake but we were upset with paypal customer service. She sent another email and is waiting back.

Users who are viewing this thread