What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"Veep" on HBO - Emmy winner, Outstanding Comedy Series (1 Viewer)

Raider Nation

Devil's Advocate
Many jobs are what you make of them. When you become Vice President of the United States, though, the job is what the President lets you make of it. Sometimes, the VP gets invested with tremendous power, as President Bush the younger did with **** Cheney; other times, the VP is marginalized as quickly as possible, as President Bush the elder did with Dan Quayle. Selina Meyer, the heroine (of sorts) of the new HBO comedy "Veep," desperately wants to be a Cheney, but is instead more of a Quayle. We frequently see Selina enter her office asking her assistant if the President has called. The answer is always no. She's so disconnected from the man in charge that he's never actually glimpsed in the series, instead represented by a twenty-something goon named Jonah whom everyone in Selina's office despises, even as they recognize that his low-level job in the west wing makes him more powerful than all of them combined. But Selina never stops dreaming of mattering, even if her pet issues are either dry (filibuster reform) or obscure (replacing all the plastic cutlery in Washington with more environmentally-friendly forks and knives made of corn starch), and even though she's too busy putting out fires of her own creation to get anything else done. "Veep" was created by Scottish writer/director Armando Iannucci, whose political satire series "The Thick of It" won awards and devoted fans in the UK before being spun off into the continent-spanning film "In the Loop." Now he's doing a series set in the United States, with a beloved star in Julia Louis-Dreyfus as Selina Meyer and other familiar faces like Tony Hale (as Selina's body man Gary) and "In the Loop" holdover Anna Chlumsky (as her chief of staff Amy). The accents are different, as is the system of government, but the angle and withering sense of humor are the same. Iannucci's satire isn't about ideology. His characters aren't liberal or conservative. (It's never even hinted what party Selina is in.) They have no beliefs other than a desire for more power — or, when that fails, to hang onto the power they currently have, at all costs. It's a fantastic role for Dreyfus, capturing that same Elaine Benes sense of a person who thinks they're smart constantly realizing they're doing something colossally stupid. She tears into Iannucci's dialogue, particularly the creative profanity he had so much fun deploying in "The Thick of It." Hale has struggled since "Arrested Development" to find a role that didn't make him into a total cartoon, but he finally has the right part as Gary, whom everyone on the staff mocks even as they recognize his unrelenting loyalty to Selina and his unusual skill set.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trailer

Looks like a great role for Dreyfus. I just wonder how they can keep a show like this from becoming stale after about a season or two.

Trailer

Looks like a great role for Dreyfus. I just wonder how they can keep a show like this from becoming stale after about a season or two.
If they keep this to a season or two with the pres going out sick for a day it will be a good light humor show. They try and drag this out for 4 plus seasons with a presidential run and it will suck.

Trailer

If they keep this to a season or two with the pres going out sick for a day it will be a good light humor show. They try and drag this out for 4 plus seasons with a presidential run and it will suck.
This is what I'm afraid of.

Right now, all I'm seeing is Elaine Benes with a potty mouth.

If I can get past that, it looks fairly interesting.

Definite potential... picked up steam after a sluggish start. Loved the wonderfully uncomfortable speech at the podium.

Thought it was horrible. :thumbdown:

Thank God for Game of Thrones and Boardwalk Empire or HBO originals would totally suck now.

'Raider Nation said:
Definite potential... picked up steam after a sluggish start. Loved the wonderfully uncomfortable speech at the podium.
I agree. It took awhile to get going, but it found a rhythm.I kept looking at Dreyfus' chief-of-staff knowing that I had seen her someplace before. I looked her up: Anna Chlumsky. She was the little girl in that Macauley Culkin flick from about twenty years ago, "My Girl".

'Raider Nation said:
I agree. It took awhile to get going, but it found a rhythm.I kept looking at Dreyfus' chief-of-staff knowing that I had seen her someplace before. I looked her up: Anna Chlumsky. She was the little girl in that Macauley Culkin flick from about twenty years ago, "My Girl".
Run, don't walk, to watch In the Loop. The same guy is responsible for Veep. She's in it, as well. As is Gandolfini. Funniest film I've seen in the last few years.

'Raider Nation said:
Run, don't walk, to watch In the Loop. The same guy is responsible for Veep. She's in it, as well. As is Gandolfini. Funniest film I've seen in the last few years.
I enjoyed In The Loop but hated this. Granted, I turned Veep off after 15 minutes.

Not great but a few chuckles. I like how theyre downplaying the importance of the VP.

Nice to see Anna Chlumsky again. Hopefully she'll start showing more rack.

Enjoyed it. One of the few women on the planet that seems to get hotter with age. Milftastic.
I was thinking the exact same thing. She's 51. She was on "Seinfeld" from age 28 through 37.I find her more attractive now.
Well, part of that is because during the Seinfeld years, she was above average in looks for a woman her age.With how she looks now in her 50's, she's probably in the 80% if not 90th percentile for hotness of women in their 50's.

Not great but a few chuckles. I like how theyre downplaying the importance of the VP.
John Adams, the first vice president, described it as "the most insignificant office that ever the invention of man contrived or his imagination conceived."Thomas R. Marshall, the 28th Vice President, lamented: "Once there were two brothers. One went away to sea; the other was elected vice president. And nothing was heard of either of them again."When the Whig Party was looking for a vice president on Zachary Taylor's ticket, they approached Daniel Webster, who said of the offer "I do not intend to be buried until I am dead."Vice President John C. Calhoun became the first vice president to resign the office. He believed he would have more power as a senator.John Nance Garner famously described the office as "not worth a pitcher of warm piss"For many years, the vice president was given few responsibilities. After John Adams attended a meeting of the president's Cabinet in 1791, no Vice President did so again until Thomas Marshall stood in for President Woodrow Wilson while he traveled to Europe in 1918 and 1919.[citation needed] Marshall's successor, Calvin Coolidge, was invited to meetings by President Warren G. Harding. The next Vice President, Charles G. Dawes, was not invited after declaring that "the precedent might prove injurious to the country."Roosevelt kept his last vice president, Harry Truman, uninformed on all war and postwar issues, such as the atomic bomb, leading Truman to wryly remark that the job of the vice president is to "go to weddings and funerals."Prior to ratification of the 25th Amendment in 1967, no provision existed for filling a vacancy in the office of vice president. As a result, the vice presidency was left vacant 16 times (sometimes for nearly four years)Former Vice Presidents are entitled for lifetime pension, but unlike former Presidents they are not entitled to Secret Service personal protection [5].Two shot a man while serving as Vice PresidentAaron Burr fatally shot Alexander Hamilton in a duel on July 11, 1804, Hamilton died the next day; see Burr-Hamilton duel.**** Cheney accidentally shot Harry Whittington in the face while hunting quail on February 11, 2006; see **** Cheney hunting incident.

Nice to see Anna Chlumsky again. Hopefully she'll start showing more rack.
Unpossible
I know, I wasnt sure what to expect going in but it was a great surprise to see this. Since you seem to hate all movies that are being released these days Im glad you found something that doesnt make you feel like a curmudgeon.

Enjoyed it. One of the few women on the planet that seems to get hotter with age. Milftastic.
I was thinking the exact same thing. She's 51. She was on "Seinfeld" from age 28 through 37.

I find her more attractive now.
Jesus Christ, that's amazing.Really liked the first episode. I can't remember a lighthearted comedy about politics before this one. Murphy Brown I guess, but the main characters there were media, not politicians and staff. Plus it took itself too seriously, which doesn't look like it will be a problem with this show.

I like how willing Dreyfus seems to be to let her character be so angry and resentful.

Those aren't exactly appealing traits, but she really goes all out with it.

Only saw the first episode so far but really liked it. Loved the pacing. Hopefully it stays strong.

Glad it's only a half hour.

after the first 3 episodes, I think this show is hilarious. seeing JLD with the smiling, politically correct face to everyone then turn to her team and spaz out with a "What the ####?!?!" kills me. lots of funny characters in Gary, Chuck, Mike McLintock. and the fact that it's only 30 minutes means it doesn't drag. I dig it.

after the first 3 episodes, I think this show is hilarious. seeing JLD with the smiling, politically correct face to everyone then turn to her team and spaz out with a "What the ####?!?!" kills me. lots of funny characters in Gary, Chuck, Mike McLintock. and the fact that it's only 30 minutes means it doesn't drag. I dig it.
Good review. I like the pacing as well.

I was thinking the exact same thing. She's 51. She was on "Seinfeld" from age 28 through 37.

Jesus Christ, that's amazing.Really liked the first episode. I can't remember a lighthearted comedy about politics before this one. Murphy Brown I guess, but the main characters there were media, not politicians and staff. Plus it took itself too seriously, which doesn't look like it will be a problem with this show.
Benson, Spin City

Agree with everything above, except it feels like the writers are trying too hard to be clever. EVERY line has to contain a punchline.

Agree with everything above, except it feels like the writers are trying too hard to be clever. EVERY line has to contain a punchline.

It's getting annoying, about to take it out of rotation.

They are trying too hard to "shock" the audience and the characters are too over the top. Not a fan of the female dominated roles played by Chlumsky and Bradshaw. Dreyfus is ok since she is in a position of power but the way they make the men look like bumbling idiots with the exception of Reid Scott seems too forced. Maybe they did it to appeal to women?

Desmond Pfieffer? That's My Bush? Though neither were very successful.For a more successful show, the old British sitcoms "Yes, Minister" and "Yes, Prime Minister" with Nigel Hawthorne come to mind. Loved that show.

Enjoying Veep so far. :thumbup:

:goodposting:Tony Hale and Matt Walsh are hilarious.

Users who are viewing this thread