What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Most white people are racist, right? (1 Viewer)

Are they?

• yes

Votes: 58 41.1%
  • no

Votes: 83 58.9%

• Total voters

IC FBGCav

Footballguy
I have lived in Pittsburgh, PA, Erie PA, and Raleigh NC. And I seem to be the "sensitive one" to race no matter where I am. And no I am not perfect, I have actually used the N word to the face of a black person at basketball practice.. (I was 11 and he called me a honkey first but that is a different story and yes we threw down) Am I wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have lived in Pittsburgh, PA, Erie PA, and Raleigh NC. And I seem to be the "sensitive one" to race no matter where I am. And no I am not perfect, I have actually used the N word to the face of a black person at basketball practice.. (I was 11 and he called me a honkey first but that is a different story and yes we threw down) Am I wrong?
At 11years old? We'll give you a pass. But age 16+, yeah that's wrong. So is calling you a honkey wrong. File this under: two wrongs don't make a right.

At 11years old? We'll give you a pass. But age 16+, yeah that's wrong. So is calling you a go key wrong. File this under: two wrongs don't make a right.
Not looking for a pass, I watched the Jeffersons. My mom told me honkey was the same thing as N. I had no idea what that word really was. Me and the guy I said it to would hug if we ever saw each other. Never stopped being friends after the fight.

To some degree, everyone is racist. We all hold some preconceived, not necessarily rationale, stereotypical beliefs. It's part of being human and honestly, probably part of evolution. Be fearful of what is different. Demean what you are fearful of and/or what is different and think of them as "lesser" in some way, or yourself as "greater" or again, both.

Doesn't excuse it. And we should all be cognizant of some natural inclinationation, but we are also well past the point where it's ok to not get over it and have some level of thought and heart in the matter.

I think everyone in their deepest core has some type of prejudice but I won't say racist.

I have equal prejudice for ######s, I don't care what race you are

I've grew up a village of 200 and went to high school in a small town. University was in a medium sized town (all in Michigan). Work took me to Grand Rapids, the D, three cities in Florida, and Charleston, S.C. In all of those places I have run into a fairly high number of white folk who are closed minded bigots.

I haven't had that experience in Brooklyn, Manhattan, and Suffolk county. It certainly is not the same IME around parts of Queens, most of Staten Island, and much of Nassau county. Those are pretty broad brush strokes, but generally the level of tolerance is quite distinct.

People who are racist use code words when they meet you. There's a subtext to it; they're trying to gauge if you're like them. If you play along or nod like you get it, the jokes and epithets come out pretty quickly. If you play dumb or react stiffly, most people recognize your subtext and don't go there.

General rule - yep, whites tend to be very racist.

My race is superior to all other races. That's just a fact. But just because you guys are sub-human doesn't mean you can't enjoy your low lives. Cheers!

At 11years old? We'll give you a pass. But age 16+, yeah that's wrong. So is calling you a go key wrong. File this under: two wrongs don't make a right.
Not looking for a pass, I watched the Jeffersons. My mom told me honkey was the same thing as N. I had no idea what that word really was. Me and the guy I said it to would hug if we ever saw each other. Never stopped being friends after the fight.
Using those racially-charged words at 11 doesn't carry the same weight as at age 16. At 11, kids just don't understand how harmful those words can be... Though, from my observation, the object of those words has a very different POV and could be terribly hurt. Still, at age 11, you really don't understand what's what. At age 16, though, you should fully understand the concepts of hate and race, etc.

To some degree, everyone is racist. We all hold some preconceived, not necessarily rationale, stereotypical beliefs. It's part of being human and honestly, probably part of evolution. Be fearful of what is different. Demean what you are fearful of and/or what is different and think of them as "lesser" in some way, or yourself as "greater" or again, both.

Doesn't excuse it. And we should all be cognizant of some natural inclinationation, but we are also well past the point where it's ok to not get over it and have some level of thought and heart in the matter.
This. And political correctness has reached such an absurd level that honest dialogue is squelched. And I think humor is such an important tool to take down barriers but it's become such a taboo to joke in any way about race. So frustrating, and sad really.

Using those racially-charged words at 11 doesn't carry the same weight as at age 16. At 11, kids just don't understand how harmful those words can be... Though, from my observation, the object of those words has a very different POV and could be terribly hurt. Still, at age 11, you really don't understand what's what. At age 16, though, you should fully understand the concepts of hate and race, etc.
I don't disagree.

This happened after school. And me and Mike talked as we were going back up stairs the next day after our parents were brought in. I told him I was sorry, didn't know what N was and he said sorry he didn't really know what honkey was.

But we both knew they were set off words, from the interaction. We used the words and knew they hurt but not why.

I've grew up a village of 200 and went to high school in a small town. University was in a medium sized town (all in Michigan). Work took me to Grand Rapids, the D, three cities in Florida, and Charleston, S.C. In all of those places I have run into a fairly high number of white folk who are closed minded bigots.

I haven't had that experience in Brooklyn, Manhattan, and Suffolk county. It certainly is not the same IME around parts of Queens, most of Staten Island, and much of Nassau county. Those are pretty broad brush strokes, but generally the level of tolerance is quite distinct.

People who are racist use code words when they meet you. There's a subtext to it; they're trying to gauge if you're like them. If you play along or nod like you get it, the jokes and epithets come out pretty quickly. If you play dumb or react stiffly, most people recognize your subtext and don't go there.

General rule - yep, whites tend to be very racist.
These two post I really relate to.

Also, I have experienced racism as a white guy in the USA. It was brief but it was not a good feeling. Pretty intimating.

Also, I have experienced racism as a white guy in the USA. It was brief but it was not a good feeling. Pretty intimating.
I guess I assumed this happens to everyone but I guess it depends on where you live :shrug:
I started a thread called white lies a couple weeks ago and killed it. Before the Cooper crap. Enclosed is the full story.

Read all this is just probably my own person crap.........but it is here now

A lot of you guys know me around here. I didn't want to encourage people trolling with the "racist" topic, but I am going to address the issue as only I know it.

In my own opinion I am one of the least racist white people there are. But maybe my story will change that opinion. There is so much I can write but I am not a good wordsmith, so please bare with me. I will give you some background before I dive in. (I am not rereading this or spell checking)

I am a white male born in 1970, my mom's best friend was black, my sister lives with a black man to this day. I grew up in a small town outside of Pittsburgh, where black people were bused to my elementary school. Kindergarten was in the West Side of town though. The black side of town. Just a fact.

The first time I remember race being an issue I was 5.

We were in a huge auditorium me and my mom, they call your name, your parent walks you to the room and you got to kindergarten. I was one of the last people called and I was 5. Now I know nothing about anything. Finally my name gets call, my mom walks me to the room, which seemed far to me as a 5 year old from the auditorium. Mom introduces me to Miss Drespling and leaves. She was a nice lady but she was really dark. I gave it about a minute and bolted from the room because she was dark. I had people chasing me but my mom was back at her seat in the auditorium, where we were sitting. I was fast and made it to her. She was mortified. I told her I didn't want a black teacher. (Personally why? I have no friggin idea). She walked me back to the class room and stayed that whole day.

Miss Dresplng was probably about 25, really tan and white.

In Kindergarten it was fun, my best friend was Corey Eggleston. We held hands everyday in line to leave. He was black and I had no problem with and girls liked me, When me and Benetta Reed kissed everyone yelled, salt and pepper. I understood they were making fun of us but didn't really know why. Me an Corey were in every class together from k to 8th and always good friends. He died last year. Probably the best high school, name the sport that ever played.

Grade school now 1-6.

First time I used the N word was in 6th grade.

We were doing lay up drills and a ball hits me square in the face. I was pissed. I stared yelling who threw that! No one stepped up and I kept pushing. Corey was behind be in line and told me Michael threw it. Michael Cox was the biggest guy on our team. We had, words and he told me he threw it and said "what are you going to do about it honkey" (now growing up in the Jeffersons era, my mom always told me that honkey was the same thing white people as N to black people. I knew both words didn't have any idea of the real meanings, just like I didn't know what ##### or jackoff or anything else really was.) I answered Mike, "kick your ### N" and we fought. There was much blood on my shirt after the fight, and at least 95% was mine. Picture a 12 year old in a white tee shirt, now picture the front for that shirt red with blood. That was me. We went to the principals office and were friends again when we left. They tried to explain things to us. But they let us leave together to go up stairs to clean up. And I just told him I really didn't know what N was sorry and he said he really didn't know what H was. And that was that. If I would see Michael today we would hug and have a good time. There was never hard feelings.

7-12, not much happening but Corey banging every girl in the high school. I think he averaged 8 yards a carry, 15 plus sacks and kicked too. In like 10 games. Boy was a stud.

College in Erie, PA

First time I felt racism. I was always a basketball player and the priest at our college signed us up for the Midnight MLK league. Play Saturday nights. There was 9 of us. There were 12 teams. 2000 people watching. Only white guys in the house. We played the week before to no fan fare, but week 2, they knew we were coming. We were playing the 3rd game that night. As soon as game 2 ended, chant started. 2000 strong yelling "Here comes the "crackers", in unison, over and over. All through lay up drills. Pretty intimidating.

. Needless to say, we were down 20 at half time. Then it happened. Scott Cornic was on our team and he was supposed to play for Gannon but didn't have grades. So he played with us. He hit at least 6 threes in a row. And the whole house was cheering for him. "Go white boy, go white boy, go" was the chant in the 4th quarter. He couldn't be stopped and we won by at least 5. Incredible experience.

And my personal worst experience.

In Tampa Bay for the Super Bowl. Life long Steeler fan. I am at buddy's house for the game/ I have a man crush on Tomlin. Just so much respect for him. With about 40 people there, Steelers are in the Super Bowl and #####ing about Tomlin when Fitz scores. Holmes, catches the pass, Steelers win. place go nuts. Everyone hugging and what not (this is something I will never forget and I hate Bob for this), what do you think of Tomlin now? Still a N, was his response. I left the next day and don't talk

to him any more. (on a side note, all my friend know I hate that word and they know it is a trigger for me)

But in the end of all this, the last story is the one, I can give over and over. To the people I know I can tell them they are idiots but they don't care.

But the real bad times are when someone using racist statement that I don't know and think it is cool because I am white and I just either pretend I didn't hear it or ignore it but never confront them on it. This is why I am racist. I wish I were more of a man. But I know this bs is not contained to only me and people I know.

Not sure I should even post this.

I try not to be, but I am. I wasn't before moving near a city, but my outlook has changed. I think the day I tipped over the edge was when I saw a map of crime in the city over the last year. Then I cross referenced vs a demographic map. It was eye opening.

I try not to be, but I am. I wasn't before moving near a city, but my outlook has changed. I think the day I tipped over the edge was when I saw a map of crime in the city over the last year. Then I cross referenced vs a demographic map. It was eye opening.
Selective enforcement. Been pulled over by cops that were like, "Oh, you guys are white, you shouldn't all have shaved heads or ball caps, move along."

Minorities may actually commit more crimes, but I find that white people commit the really heinous crimes. Like violent crimes against children (though I'm sure some would argue the neglect and single motherhood in the black community is some how equal to the fiddlers).

This thread should have 100 post by now, but no one is will to take the opposite side in public. Hence is confirms what I know,

The most racist person I ever met was actually a Japanese WWII vet. His grandson told me stories about that guy that creeped me out more than anything those Ku Klux Klowns ever came up with. If my grandfather was like that, I sure as hell wouldn't tell anybody about it. You could tell that old guy couldn't wait to end his visit and get back to Japan, though. He always looked like he was being forced to walk through an open sewer or something.

Selective enforcement. Been pulled over by cops that were like, "Oh, you guys are white, you shouldn't all have shaved heads or ball caps, move along."

Minorities may actually commit more crimes, but I find that white people commit the really heinous crimes. Like violent crimes against children (though I'm sure some would argue the neglect and single motherhood in the black community is some how equal to the fiddlers).
cannot argue with the facts. They are over whelming. In cleveland anyway. Don't stop in East cleveland or you'll die.

cannot argue with the facts. They are over whelming. In cleveland anyway. Don't stop in East cleveland or you'll die.
lol

lol
Eastside of Buffalo is the same way. If it were it's own city, it would lead the nation in murders.

I'm kinda racist. There, I said it. I don't care what you say there are statistics that cannot be ignored. I don't want to hear about slavery anymore. I don't want to hear how you are a victim. That can be a poor black kid, a native kid, a Latino, or poor white kid. I don't care. I hate victims. At least when they choose to complain and use whatever happened as a way of not moving forward and just hitching. Racism exists everywhere. BUT if you're black or Mexican or whatever, you can do whatever you want..It's really not about skin color. It's about attitude, appearance and how you carry yourself. Theres so many successful black folks in this world. And let's get down to brass tacks, we're talking black and white. Walk around with a do-rag swaggering through traffic grilling folks, yeah good luck with that. Would I feel any different if it were a white kid? Not quite, probably make me angrier.

Then we have the whole "its a cultural thing". Well switch it up. You gonna tell me youve been in a movie theater full of white folks hooting and carrying about as if they're in a bar room or a club? Stereotypes exist for a reason. So I'm white. I shop at Whole Foods. I do a lot of that white people ####. The only thing white people DO that's bad and I've heard used against us is serial killing/mass murder and diddling.

I hate ignorant white folks as much as anyone...probably more than anyone. I love hip hop and generally get along well with my brothers of color. The last good friend I made in Boston was a black kid who was putting his life back together. I called him every day.

I know its tough in a lot of places being black. But its a lot easier If you let go of the grudge, the chip on the shoulder. I hate the race card. Why? You were born black, or Hispanic, or white or short or ugly...we gotta play the hand we're dealt. Or live the alternative and whine and complain and place blame on others for our own inability to rise up. I hate whining. I'm short 5'8" and I'm thin, normally 150. I always have it in the back of my head that chics like tall dudes. But then I think of Boiler Room and Affleck's speach about acting as if. "Act as if your the ####### president of this firm. Act as if you have a 9" cack" (I only go about 8) and that is what its all about.

Quit looking for reasons why you can't make it work and make it work. Yes the law sucks. I understand a black man is more likely to get locked up than me. I know I enjoyed driving around with no license and spent tags all over the country for 6 months knowing I got little to worry about cuz I'm white. But I got dealt a #### hand too. Crazy parents, forced to drop out of high school, no chance of college when I was younger, very serious false charges brought against me resulting in me being on the run from the law for half a decade. I didn't have a shot and I made it anyhow. Sure Ive battled drugs and a lifestyle that had me running In the streets selling drugs and acting crazy but I've managed to clean it up and get back in the saddle with very little in the way of help from people I thought would be there to help. I could have just hung it up and whined about the abuse I went through as a kid, the years I spent grounded....years. All that ####...that's what it is - ####. Poor me - no screw you, quit being a ##### and whining and make something of your life.

People want to hand out crutches when they should be slapping people in the head saying wake the #### up. making excuses for the failure of millions of people from making a good life for themselves because of something that happened 400 years ago and some other societal hurdles that certainly can be jumped. I've been to hell twice and made it back because I believe in myself. No different than any of the other historical folks of color whether it be black brown yellow or purple. Play the hand your dealt and make something of your life.

I remember a Chris Rock act saying something like "gotta love black folks, always bragging about #### there supposed to be doing anyhow: 'I FEED my kids. I PAY my bills. I don't beat my lady'". Like would that resonate with the black crowd if it weren't true? It's okay to sit around at the Apollo slapping your knee and fist pumping to Rock or Chapelle or Kat who make MILLIONS exploiting blacks but if anyone else makes the same point sans the black skin and smile all hell breaks loose.

Okay- you decide, am I racist. I don't know really. I have no more contempt for a black kid sporting a to rag mispronouncing every word out of his mouth than I do for the ignorant white blathering hick that hates all things "UnAmerican". If you aren't part of the solution, your are the problem.

Crazy parents, forced to drop out of high school, no chance of college when I was younger
I like the rest of your post but please elaborate. Forced to drop out of high school? How did you afford your junkie lifestyle? And don't say you hustled your way, this isn't a River phoenix movie. We know you had to tap into family resources. Let me guess, you had to leave the private school and enroll in the, god forbid, public high school?

Crazy parents, forced to drop out of high school, no chance of college when I was younger
I like the rest of your post but please elaborate. Forced to drop out of high school? How did you afford your junkie lifestyle? And don't say you hustled your way, this isn't a River phoenix movie. We know you had to tap into family resources. Let me guess, you had to leave the private school and enroll in the, god forbid, public high school?
Never went to private school. I grew up poor. My dad worked like 80 hours a week and my mom cleaned rich peoples toilets and did office filing at night sometimes. She birthed my sister and I at 16 and 18. My parents did their best but they were still kids. Lots of parties, an often drunk and drugged up father who when wasn't working long hours had his friends over. They were all into drugs and drug dealing. I saw it all as far back as I can remember. Big family secret "Curtis if you ever say anything the police will come and get you". I was allowed to drink from a very early age. I was a very intelligent young kid but began to get in trouble. My parents didn't have time to deal with it so most summer vacations after I was 10-11 were spent inside my room.

I went to a ####ty public school. I was actually allowed to not show up because I believe there was a mutual agreement between the teachers and rest of staff that things run more smoothly without me around. I began to resent my parents for not providing for me the way I saw my other friends provided for. I began to shoplift and deal drugs. One morning my father told me to get in the car with him. He took me to school, took me inside and said "Curtis is dropping out. School is nothing more than a place for him to hang out and sell drugs". I was then locked out of the house every day from 7 am when my father left until he came home anywhere from 7-11 PM. Told to "find a job".

I moved out with some older friends and stayed at my grandmas on and off until I was arrested for LSD in front of her home. Embarrassed the family, picked up some other BS felonies and skipped trial. Remained off the grid for the next 5 years. During that time my parents divorced, my sister moved away and focused on school my maternal grandparents died and my father was engadged to his future wife. During those years I went to Grateful Dead and Phish shows, met my new fam, traveled the country and sold drugs. My home base was Burlington, VT. I made no less than $100K and probably closer to $200 from 19-22...I literally weighed it to count it...yes, like Skyler. After running absurd amounts of opiates (aside from L, MDMA and kind herbs) which we got from a guy who was supposed to incinerate the old stock from DuPont and Lilly (he was eventually busted) I got hooked on heroin. I got raided by the DEA and ATF at a hotel which was a miss but they got my roommate at the house I rented a room in and grew herb in. I didn't find this out until after I got out of detox. Since there was lots of herb growing, a healthy amount of H and guns he was sentenced to 20 years. I could put names out there to the people I did business with and a goodle search would have you saying Jesus. My good buddy is still on the run now, 16 years later for 20 Gs of LSD...1/10 of a g is enough to lay 1000 hits.

Sober 10 years, turned my life around. Had success in the bus world as a benefits guy/broker/advisor. Then in construction sales. Relapsed and partied for another 3 years. Lost everything. But yes, I hustled. I dealt drugs, manufactured them and took out huge loans from friends whom I still had good credit with my ways of manipulation. No trust fund here chief. My mom has a city job and lives check to check and my dad died and didn't leave us a nickel.

In many ways I grew up like these impoverished ghetto folk that liberal society so often makes excuses for. They milk off the ### and have special programs while myself and others are often not eligible for these "programs" and benefits that our tax dollars pay for. I was poor, bad upbringing, drugs and alcohol in the home, constant fighting and abuse, going without, no education, constant arrests and problems with the law and legal system, riddled with bad genes - alcoholism, addiction. I'm Irish, my people were discriminated and treated like bugs as well. Still deal with stereotypes. Not like black folks...my point. The only difference between myself and the guy on the street selling crack and packing a gun IS the color of our skin. We all can make the choice to take that #### hand and make something off it...bluff - whatever - you gotta get the chips in. Better than tossing your cards on the ground and whining about how the game is rigged.

I think everyone carries around certain prejudices against other ethnicities. I don't define "racism" or "racist" as that. To me, "racism" is more like the traditional Hitler viewpoint....genetic inferiority and what not.

The answer is yes, most white people are racist. But so is every other race. You can't tell me that black people aren't predominantly racists to white people. Frankly, I don't see the big deal in it anyway unless the racism in ones head develops into actions that violate a persons rights or enjoyment of life. I don't really care if a black person hates me for some reason, as long as I'm not getting the crap kicked out of me or being prevented from having a chance to have a somewhat enjoyable life.

I, like many people of all colors, enjoy a pretty good, above average lifestyle. But that doesn't mean my parents, and their parents didn't go through hell to make it easier for my generation of our family.

Finless' story above is no different than my family's, albeit a generation later. My granddad's mother killed his father because he was beating them all so badly. She then poisoned herself a week later. My granddad and his brother began riding the rails at ages 11 and 9. No parents, nowhere to stay, no food. They hopped freight cars, stole, sold whatever to get by. Sometimes they went days without food. At age 15 he joined the military by lying about his age. He was a POW of the Japanese in WW2 at age 17. He was finally rescued at age 20. He went on to make a life for himself servicing school buses. My other granddad was in the same boat. He was pulled out of school at age 8 to work on the a rich person's farm full time. He was allowed to eat once a day. His parents abandoned him and his 5 siblings at age 14, leaving them basically as slaves for the farmer, who beat them and raped the girls. He escaped by joining the army. When he came back he got a job for the TVA since they provided food. He made it through life as a mailman.

Neither are your typical white people in the eyes of most black people, but my guess is these stories are more the norm for many families.

The point is, at some point almost every single family has not had a good life (white, black, or other). And they've had a tough life for different reasons (poverty, slavery, social problems, abuse). But generation after generation you make it better for your kids, and soon enough you are living a good lifestyle, and one that is likely better than 90% of the people around the world. That's the beauty of America and the modern western world...there is a way to improve. Live in India, China, the Middle East...let me know how this concept works out for you.

Of course the answer is yes, and the answer is yes towards every person in the world.

I mean there are black people who don't like black(er) people.

An Italian from Rome might be racist towards an Italian from Sicily.

A yuppy from Hoboken may be racist towards a hillbilly redeneck from Kentucky.

Sunnis/Shiitites

I am willing to bet those tribes in Africa that put rings on their neck to get that giraffe look have hatred towards people that put those plates on their lips.

Deep down I think people do not have much tolerance with what is not like equal to them.

Some more than others but as long as there are 2 people in this world there is always room for dissension and the obvious choice usually starts with your appearance or your origin.

I think white people have created the most open civil societies in the world where people of all races can flourish. Of course there is history of ugliness as all races have, but white people are the least racist people on the planet today.

It's a pretty tall order to both acknowledge that there are differences between the races in this country and to only celebrate the differences when they highlight a positive aspect of a race. In any other context where we recognize a difference, its normal to talk about the positives and negatives of those differences and usually focus on the negatives. To not have some of what is currently classified as racism is counter intuitive.

I don't think it's a healthy exercise to go on a witch hunt to label people as racists or not racists. There are racist behaviors, but very few pure racists / non-racists.

I think I may be kinda racist. The following story has caused me to think about this topic pretty deeply. I'm going to be brutally honest, probably get flamed. But I would like to know if this is racist or not.

I was driving from AZ to Chicago, by myself a month ago. I got to St Louis on a Saturday night at about 9pm and decided to just keep on driving, getting home at about 1:30 am. I was low in gas so I looked up the nearest gas station on my phone and got off the freeway in St Louis off of 270 near the river, on the MO side.

I pulled into a small gas station with about 10 pumps and one of those old gas station buildings, very small. I got out and began to pump gas. Soon I noticed that all the other pumps were in use, lots of cars with 20 inch rims, loud music. Everyone else there was black. I looked like the most honky white guy, dark washed jeans, v neck purple t-shirt, sandals and a Titlest golf hat. It seemed like a very busy station, some of the other customers were talking to each other, very festive vibe. White people generally ignore each other in public, but these people at this station all just talked to one another about anything and everything. A guy pulled up to a pump directly across from me riding a 4 wheel ATV, no muffler, wearing Carharts and a white tank top. He hops off the ATV and looks at me and says 'I finally got the thing runnin!' I chuckled and congratulated him on the feat. A big, young lady down the row starts making fun of his ride and a couple young guys join in the ball busting. The ATV guy seemed to take it all in good fun.

I finished pumping the gas and went into the store because I needed to use the bathroom. It was clearly too small to have restrooms in there, but you know some of these older stations have an out building where you need a key to get in. I got in line, there were 15-20 people in line, buying food, smokes, lottery tickets and booze. As I'm standing in this cramped store, the only non-black person there, I started to feel very out of place. I very clearly was not from around there. An old man looked at me and smiled, said 'You passing through?' 'Yes. Driving across the country from the West up to Chicago.' 'Damn son, that's a long drive! You going all the way to Chicago tonight?' 'Trying to, yea.' He wishes me luck.

I started to feel guilty that my first thought upon entering the station was one of discomfort. They all seemed very nice, talking to each other and cracking jokes. Some kids didn't have enough money for the candy they wanted, and the old man pulls out a couple buck and just gives it to them. 2 younger guys were trading stories of the parties they were going to. A couple young ladies were talking about their clothing. Again, this level of random discourse isn't very common among the honky white people I meet in public.

I got up to the counter and the young man behind the counter says 'What can I get for you sir?' I said 'I just bought gas outside but really need a restroom.' He says 'Sorry, we don't have a public bathroom, but if you really have to go, you can use the employee bathroom back in the storage room.' He points to the back, through a door. I said 'Thanks man. I appreciate it.' I walk back there and the door to the bathroom is open. I closed the door and locked it and noticed that the door frame wasn't square and the door sticks a bit when you close it.

I do my business, wash my hands and go to open the door. It won't open. Immediately, I think 'This is a set up.' Then I remembered that the frame wasn't square, pull up on the handle, push hard and the door goes flying open. I stumble forward into the store and everyone is staring at me because it was a pretty abrupt push. I thanked the store clerk again, went back to the car and drive off.

No less than 3 times did I have a thought or feeling that I wasn't in a safe place. But every indication I got from the people themselves was that they were nice, happy, good natured and helpful. Even after all the positive interaction I had with the ATV guy, the old man, and the accommodating clerk, I still freaked out a bit when I thought I was stuck in the bathroom.

When I shared this story with a couple co workers, both white, they all said I wasn't racist, just that whenever you are out of your element, it's ok or even good to be on your guard. Maybe they were trying to make me feel better. Maybe we are all prejudiced. But it really bothered me that I reacted like that.

I don't think that's racist at all. Hey, long drives can mess with your mind, especially when you're alone. I've driven Chicago to Dallas and back a few times (once without a radio!), and some of the weird places you stop along the way can make you feel like you're the mark in some huge con game.

Users who are viewing this thread