What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SEO for small local-only business (1 Viewer)

E-Z Glider

Footballguy
Id like to hire someone to do SEO for my business website, but I know very little about it. I just want local traffic. Not national. Where should I look for this? What should I be asking for? and what should I expect to pay?

Last edited by a moderator:
Min $500 a month with six months for real results. A comprehensive plan will cost a couple G's each month. You're almost better off simply buying click thru ads.

I'm interested in this too. I have been doing a little research on this for my company (a commercial real estate firm) and the price quotes I have been getting have ranged from $2,000 a month to almost $10,000 a month. Quite frankly I am not sure where the value is, especially for those prices.

10k should be a nationwide campaign handling your entire marketing effort. Eta - I mean seo campaigns and social media, not branding and trade shows and stuff like that.

2k is not out of bounds at all.

From my sister, who works in SEO:

1. Optimize local pages for geo-keywords

2. Submit to 5 local directories

3. Get links from 5 local websites

4. Google + page – at least 10 reviews

5. Claim Yelp listing

Top Page Ranking in 3 months. Guaranteed.

I don't know what any of this means, but it sounds convincing.

Min $500 a month with six months for real results. A comprehensive plan will cost a couple G's each month. You're almost better off simply buying click thru ads.
Yeah, Im not looking for another ongoing payment. The only clicks I want are from local businesses that go to Google and type in our specific service and our exact town/city. Cant I just hire someone to put in the right keywords and do some other fancy tricks to put us higher on the list?

What are these people on Fiverr offering for $5? I assume this is a waste of time?

How hard is it to DIY? Any recommended books/articles about that?

ETA: I'm more interested in a nationwide approach than local.

Yeah, Im not looking for another ongoing payment. The only clicks I want are from local businesses that go to Google and type in our specific service and our exact town/city. Cant I just hire someone to put in the right keywords and do some other fancy tricks to put us higher on the list?

What are these people on Fiverr offering for $5? I assume this is a waste of time?
Yes, waste of time.

What is important with Google is fresh content with key words it can pick up. Do you have a blog on your site? This is a great way to keep adding content with the ability to use words that you want to feature when people search.

What is important with Google is fresh content with key words it can pick up. Do you have a blog on your site? This is a great way to keep adding content with the ability to use words that you want to feature when people search.
Everything mentioned seems like major overkill to me. All I want is when someone types in "XXX in Anytown, PA" they're able to find my website. I dont want anyone from more than a 50 miles away finding my site or even contacting me. Does this really require blogs, new content and $1000's per month?

Everything mentioned seems like major overkill to me. All I want is when someone types in "XXX in Anytown, PA" they're able to find my website. I dont want anyone from more than a 50 miles away finding my site or even contacting me. Does this really require blogs, new content and $1000's per month?
Pay per click ads on google

Payment on yelp

Possible servpro

Boom.

Pay per click ads on google

Payment on yelp

Possible servpro

Boom.
Are you talking adwords? That is a great way to go broke.

Pay per click ads on googlePayment on yelp

Possible servpro

Boom.
Adwords work just fine. It's the resulting website that causes you to go broke.

What we did was hookup with a local company that was working with our local affiliate TV stations. For 1k a year we are advertising on their websites. We also got a cool, well produced video for our business. This setup funnels about 120 hits a month to our site and they are all within the local viewing area. So maybe look for something like that.

It can be done without spending much money. We have done it at our company ourselves and one of the big reasons is keywords on our website and adding content on our blog. It doesn't take long to add a blog. Look into hiring a marketing intern to help with your SEO and blog. They can also help with social media like Linkedin, Facebook, Twitter,and Google Plus.

Pay per click ads on googlePayment on yelp

Possible servpro

Boom.
Adwords work just fine. It's the resulting website that causes you to go broke.
I have seen people get into deep money doo with adwords. Not something I recommend to customers personally unless they are pretty savvy.

A very quick, high-level overview for people that want to try it themselves.

There are essentially two areas of SEO. On-site SEO and off-site SEO.

On-site SEO

On-site SEO typically involves having the keywords that you expect people to be searching for in prominent places on your page. If you are hoping to get traffic from people searching "Chattanooga butcher" then you're going to want to have "Chattanooga butcher" on your site, preferably in a header tag or even the title of the page. As with all things SEO, don't overdo it and put it all over the page.

You're also going to want to have good interlinking between your pages. It's always good to have a blog on your site, and this also helps with fresh content as Stinger Ray mentioned. Within those blog posts you can link back to your landing page with the anchor text "Chattanooga butcher" for a little added juice.

Other stuff like meta keywords and descriptions are far less important than they used to be.

Off-site SEO

This side is more complicated, is always changing, and typically involves links back to your site. A good high level way to think of it is that google treats it like a voting system. If website A links to your website, google sees that as website A saying that your site is a good resource. If website A links to your website with the anchor text "Chattanooga butcher", google sees that as website A saying that your website is a good resource for Chattanooga butchers. Again, as with all things, don't overdo the anchor texts. Google expects most links to be generic stuff like "click here" (and they will get suspicious otherwise), but there should be plenty of relevant anchors sprinkled in.

One major difference from a typical voting system is that google does not see all votes as equal. Sorry, but Bill Gates' vote in this democracy counts more than yours does. In this sense, a link from a well respected website with a lot of authority counts a LOT more than some cheesy little site that google barely cares about.

Essentially, every page on the internet has some intrinsic value associated with it, according to google. If that page links to your page, it passes some of that value on. SEOers like to call it "linkjuice". That linkjuice is then converted to an increase in your google results position for particular keywords based on both the anchor text of those links and the keywords that your on-site SEO points to.

From there, things get significantly more complicated with dofollow/no-follow links, blackhat SEO, etc. But that should provide a decent overview.

How long has your website been up? The simple stuff you're looking for should happen fairly naturally if your on-page SEO is good. Beyond that, a little off-page fluffing should get you there pretty easily so long as we're not talking about a huge city with lots of similar business names. No reason you'd need to spend 1000's/month on that sort of thing if you're talking about searches with your business name (and not your business) in them. IE: getting the top spot for "John Boy's auto repair Hershey PA" is a lot easier than getting the top spot for "auto repair Hershey PA".

The problem with SEO, adwords, Facebook ads, etc. is that the site owner thinks what they need is increased traffic. So they spend time and money finding ways to get traffic with the mistaken belief that increased numbers will = increased business. Think about how many web pages you view in a day. Think about how many pages you viewed last time you looked for an AC repair guy or house painters or new television, etc. The VAST majority of web traffic - even to sites like home handymen, dog walkers, and dentist's offices - are window shoppers who are not going to give you money for service any time soon.

As a result, NCC is right = lots of people spend a bunch of money on Adwords and can't figure out why the 1,000 hits they got last month for fifty cents each didn't make the phone ring a single time.

If you don't know jack about SEO and don't want to invest the time and money to learn, I would suggest the following:

1. Learn how to use Google's Keyword tool. You are looking for low competition keywords that receive at least 100 searches a month in your market.

2. Add at least one page or blog post to your site every week that optimizes for that keyword. I recommend the Yoast plug in but there are others.

3. Make every page on your site feature a call to action as well as the phone number or email address for your business. Offer specials, incentives, etc. Traffic is worthless if it doesn't make the phone ring.

The vast majority of SEO frustration is caused by people mistaking traffic with actionable traffic.

It really depends on your market. If you're trying to rank for "lawyer" in New York City... organic page one ranking is going to be a next to impossible. If you're in a smaller city or trying to rank for suburbs it's easier. If you have a unique service it's going to be easier than to rank for a business type that has a lot of local competition.

I have also seen supplemental benefit using more modest Ad Words campaigns. Someone mentioned Ad Words is a good way to blow through money... it is, but if you take a more conservative budget, use it for only the most hi-value keywords and have quality landing pages it will supplement your business and you can definitely have positive ROI. The problem is a lot of resellers over-promise and use suggest ridiculous budgets.

What kind of business and what is your market?

From my sister, who works in SEO:

1. Optimize local pages for geo-keywords

2. Submit to 5 local directories

3. Get links from 5 local websites

4. Google + page – at least 10 reviews

5. Claim Yelp listing

Top Page Ranking in 3 months. Guaranteed.

I don't know what any of this means, but it sounds convincing.
this is pretty accurate and exactly what i've done.

The google + page and map listings are vital.

Do what google wants you to do and they reward you with a higher ranking.

Having an adwords account is probably another cost effective way to do this.

as Stinger said...you need relevant, unique content on your site that Google will recognize and give you credit for. You can supplement with SEM and buy some clicks, but proper site structure and content are your best bets for the long run.

Id like to hire someone to do SEO for my business website, but I know very little about it. I just want local traffic. Not national. Where should I look for this? What should I be asking for? and what should I expect to pay?
How old is your business website?

Who developed it?

How much traffic are you looking for?

In what industry?

Rough size of revenue of your business if you can say? 1m+? 10m+?

How hard is it to DIY? Any recommended books/articles about that?

ETA: I'm more interested in a nationwide approach than local.
Not hard.... depending on the business. There definitely is a learning curve, but I know several small businesses that do it on their own, plumbers, dentists, roofers etc and do it well.

What if I hire an Indian off oDesk?
Why don't you just send me and JoeT the money so we can go to a Rangers game? Your web traffic results will be the same as hiring someone on oDesk. HTH.

The problem with SEO, adwords, Facebook ads, etc. is that the site owner thinks what they need is increased traffic. So they spend time and money finding ways to get traffic with the mistaken belief that increased numbers will = increased business. Think about how many web pages you view in a day. Think about how many pages you viewed last time you looked for an AC repair guy or house painters or new television, etc. The VAST majority of web traffic - even to sites like home handymen, dog walkers, and dentist's offices - are window shoppers who are not going to give you money for service any time soon.

As a result, NCC is right = lots of people spend a bunch of money on Adwords and can't figure out why the 1,000 hits they got last month for fifty cents each didn't make the phone ring a single time.

If you don't know jack about SEO and don't want to invest the time and money to learn, I would suggest the following:

1. Learn how to use Google's Keyword tool. You are looking for low competition keywords that receive at least 100 searches a month in your market.

2. Add at least one page or blog post to your site every week that optimizes for that keyword. I recommend the Yoast plug in but there are others.

3. Make every page on your site feature a call to action as well as the phone number or email address for your business. Offer specials, incentives, etc. Traffic is worthless if it doesn't make the phone ring.

The vast majority of SEO frustration is caused by people mistaking traffic with actionable traffic.
:goodposting:

The extension to this is having a website that converts.

Most websites don't. People put them up, and their family and friends say "nice site" (when it really isn't), and they wonder why the site gets no play. This is especially true with smaller, localized businesses.

A good website drives business - it addresses visitor's needs, answers their questions, and makes them feel comfortable enough to contact / buy. This is much harder to do than it sounds.

A good website drives business - it addresses visitor's needs, answers their questions, and makes them feel comfortable enough to contact / buy. This is much harder to do than it sounds.
Amen. Most people view their website as something they like to look at instead of as a tool to generate revenue.

IMO, SEO is overrated for small businesses/websites (unless your site was built in the 90's or by some high school kid)... Content is king. If you have a well-maintained, well-designed, modern website + awesome original content + connected to as many social media platforms as possible, you'll crush most of your competition SEO-wise.

The Google local maps on search pages has really helped local businesses. It will generally put you on the top for anyone searching in the area depending on how comprtetive the industry is.

One of the easy things you can do is go to a site like optimizely and research where your current traffic is co.ing from. You can also check out similar sites to yours and try and get listed on the directories they are getting traffic from.

IMO, SEO is overrated for small businesses/websites (unless your site was built in the 90's or by some high school kid)... Content is king. If you have a well-maintained, well-designed, modern website + awesome original content + connected to as many social media platforms as possible, you'll crush most of your competition SEO-wise.
Can I see an example of that for a local business?

So, what's your web address? It all starts at your website, and you'll need an honest assessment there before you EVER do SEO or PPC.

http://www.bigshoulderscoffee.com/
What is the point of having the links on the top if they merely scroll down the homepage?

You should have links with original content. You want people to go to your site and click on other links taking you to other pages on the site.

An easy way to expand a site is by categorizing things. The site I maintain is for the family screen print embroidery business. The site was lacking content & pages, so I made a "Shop" tab. Under "shop" I have shirts, pants, outer wear, bags, brands, and a few others. In shirts I have t-shirts, long sleeve, tank tops, etc. The funny thing is they all point to the same 6 catalogs. It's just a way to add content and help the customer navigate.

I started doing this after talking with a few buddies that do SEO. Like many have stated, they agrees paying an SEO firm thousands of dollars was a waste of money.

This isn't perfect, but the guy does a lot of things right.

http://www.thegrapevinedentist.com/

http://www.bigshoulderscoffee.com/
What is the point of having the links on the top if they merely scroll down the homepage?

You should have links with original content. You want people to go to your site and click on other links taking you to other pages on the site.

An easy way to expand a site is by categorizing things. The site I maintain is for the family screen print embroidery business. The site was lacking content & pages, so I made a "Shop" tab. Under "shop" I have shirts, pants, outer wear, bags, brands, and a few others. In shirts I have t-shirts, long sleeve, tank tops, etc. The funny thing is they all point to the same 6 catalogs. It's just a way to add content and help the customer navigate.

I started doing this after talking with a few buddies that do SEO. Like many have stated, they agrees paying an SEO firm thousands of dollars was a waste of money.
If you're in the biz, then you know the big thing now is these minimal "one-page" websites that have huge headings / pictures throughout. It started gaining traction last year, and is pretty big now. I would say half of the new clients who contact me (I'm a copywriter, and do a lot of web copy) are developing a site like this.

I do agree that this is not the best way to do it, but I think it's the product of "we have to be easy to view on phones" (going further than "responsive" web design does). Phone navigation is easy if you have one page.

The problem with these sites is they say nothing. I think this fad will pass fairly quickly. Getting someone to take action from a webpage is very, very difficult. For most businesses / services, a short paragraph of text is usually not enough.

His pages need to be beefier in content, but yea, this is a pretty good site.

The things SEO firms do are all things that are relatively simple (note I don't say EASY) to do for the business owner. And the chances you find a firm that does black-hat (Google disapproved things) SEO and actually causes your rankings to suffer or even get your site banned altogether is very high, IMO, because many firms want to show a quick win for the $$ you are paying them.

Abraham had a really good post, it's 2 part, getting people there and then converting them to action. That said, step 1 is getting people to your site. Figure out what people are searching for (Keyword research) that relate to your business and then write content to address that. Make it good content, the kind that people might actually want to share, not just marketing speak. This is why a blog can be great, although just putting up a blog isn't the automatic win it used to be as Google adjusts.

Google wants your site to rank because you are doing the right things (providing value to the visitors to your site) and for other sites to also find enough value in your site to link to it. Google does not want you to to get it to rank, and will penalize sites for doing too much (even of the right thing) too fast. SEO is a slow but steady game, keep putting high-quality, original and new content on your site, slowly build the incoming links and so on.

One page sites aren't really one page. Those header links that scroll halfway down are actually pages.

Does anyone know any good keyword suggestion tools? Google's tool isn't doing it for me anymore. I have a couple things id like to build and I know there is a market because every IT conference I go to has breakouts relating to the subject at hand. But I can't find any applicable keyword phrases with more than 10 monthly searches.

jwb said:
Joe T said:
(HULK) said:

His pages need to be beefier in content, but yea, this is a pretty good site.
On a personal note, I really hate the Flash header. Especially when it really doesn't tell you anything.

Users who are viewing this thread