What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2015 coaching changes and idp implications (1 Viewer)

Kool-Aid Larry

Footballguy
it's still early, but the rex ryan signing jumped out at me as something that might have some idp ripple effects

what are you guys thinking?

any chance we'll be getting a podcast on this in a few weeks when most of the dust has settled?

Well, Schwartz is leaving Buffalo....that means Ryan is gonna run a 3-4 and that's a BAD news for Jerry Hughes & Mario Williams.

think hughes might be fa and they have a lot of $ already sunk in williams

looks like rex brought his guy over with him as dc

Last edited by a moderator:
Todd Bowles - Looks like Atlanta or Chicago. Do they switch to a 3-4 ?

NY Jets get him. Didn't see that coming.

think nolan already had some 3-4 installed at atl, although I couldn't say how much, and I wonder if he'll be gone, too -- or, is he already?

we'll see where these guys all land

Saw the same thing regarding Harris and that Buffalo will look to bring him in. Thus ending the Brandon Spikes era...sigh.

Bowles to Jets seems to indicate the defense will not alter too much but let's see who Bowles tags as DC.

Redskins hired Joe Barry as defensive coordinator.

Barry, 44, was the Chargers' LBs coach each of the past four seasons, but had a previous stint as the Lions' defensive coordinator from 2007-2008 under coach Rod Marinelli, who is Barry's father-in-law. The Lions went 0-16 in 2008 and finished dead-last in total defense each of those two seasons, giving up over 404 yards per game in the winless year.

Saw the same thing regarding Harris and that Buffalo will look to bring him in. Thus ending the Brandon Spikes era...sigh.

Bowles to Jets seems to indicate the defense will not alter too much but let's see who Bowles tags as DC.
In the Bills thread they have been speculating Preston Brown and Alonso as ILBs (Alonso the WILB) but no clear candidates for OLB

Bills have no need for David Harris.

They already have 3 guys fighting for 2 ILB spots in Alonso, Brown, and Bradham.

You have to put your most dynamic linebacker at WLB or Mike and that is Bowman. Willis is long in the tooth and Borland is better suited at strong side. Thoughts on Aaron Williams in Buffalo?

Aaron Rudnicki said:
49ers moving to a 4-3 base should allow them to play their 3 studs.

Most likely Borland at WLB and then probably Willis at Mike and Bowman at SAM. I'd still expect to see Willis/Bowman in the nickel though, assuming everybody healthy.

also means Aldon Smith moves up to a 4-3 DE and likely gets a huge upgrade.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2015/1/15/7550461/49ers-expected-to-switch-to-4-3-defense-under-jim-tomsula
This is some damn fine news! You just made my morning. Now let's hope he doesn't get himself tossed from the league before ever having a chance to become my best roster hold of the year.

EDIT: Tank Carridine becomes a very interesting stash with this news, as well. A big time talent stepping into a role/position that is far more FF friendly compared to what that role would have been as a 3-4 DE. Combine that with the likely retirement of Smith (or move to DT in a 4-3, perhaps?) and it creates quite an opportunity for him.

georg013 said:
You have to put your most dynamic linebacker at WLB or Mike and that is Bowman. Willis is long in the tooth and Borland is better suited at strong side.
a lot probably depends on how healthy Bowman is following the Achilles injury.

to me, Borland seems like a better fit as a chase LB from the weakside. But, honestly I feel like any of the 3 could line up at any LB spot in a 4-3.

As a Bowman owner in several leagues, I'd obviously hope he winds up at MLB or WLB but that's a ton of competition for tackles if all 3 are playing together in base, and the 49ers stat crew wasn't very favorable. Seems all could be getting a downgrade from their previous value levels.

I just wonder how much longer Willis will be in SF. He is clearly not the dynamic player he once was from a fantasy perspective. On the field, his impact has not shown up on the stat sheet. I know he still holds value but I think we have seen his best days. If I am abandoning ship, it is probably off the USS Willis. Especially with Borland gaining so much experience.

georg013 said:
You have to put your most dynamic linebacker at WLB or Mike and that is Bowman. Willis is long in the tooth and Borland is better suited at strong side.
a lot probably depends on how healthy Bowman is following the Achilles injury.to me, Borland seems like a better fit as a chase LB from the weakside. But, honestly I feel like any of the 3 could line up at any LB spot in a 4-3.

As a Bowman owner in several leagues, I'd obviously hope he winds up at MLB or WLB but that's a ton of competition for tackles if all 3 are playing together in base, and the 49ers stat crew wasn't very favorable. Seems all could be getting a downgrade from their previous value levels.
There was a discussion on Twitter including pretty much every IDP expert and the constellation getting tossed around was Borland at MLB, Bowman at WLB, and Willis at SLB with Borland coming off in subs.

yeah, I don't see any sf games, so i probably don't know wtf I'm talking about, but I would've pegged borland as a spikes role in a 4-3 if all those guys are playing and healthy.

Louche said:
georg013 said:
a lot probably depends on how healthy Bowman is following the Achilles injury.to me, Borland seems like a better fit as a chase LB from the weakside. But, honestly I feel like any of the 3 could line up at any LB spot in a 4-3.

There was a discussion on Twitter including pretty much every IDP expert and the constellation getting tossed around was Borland at MLB, Bowman at WLB, and Willis at SLB with Borland coming off in subs.
Can definitely see this.

Jene Bramel seems to think they'll go Bowman at SLB, Willis at MLB and Borland at WLB. So I guess there's no consensus on this. The only thing everyone agrees on is that Borland will come off in sub but that's the obvious one to project. However it is dependent on Willis and Bowman getting back to their old self so I wouldn't bet my life on it.

yeah, I was just wondering about allen when I posted

do they actually have to go to a 3-4, or could allen actually play olb?

could they do a 3-4 base with allen as a nickel rusher?

there are guys like mario williams, peppers, mathis, derrick morgan, et al, that change roles all the time, right?

what are they doing with freeney in sd, or osi in atl?

he's got 3 years left with what looks like a 12m roster bonus this year, but also 12m in guaranteed money?

The contract contains $15.5 million in fully guaranteed salary which is comprised of Allen’s 2014 and 2015 base salaries and an $11.5 million roster bonus paid on the 10th day of the 2015 League Year
I think as far as the lb go those guys were producing due to talent, and the talent in front of them -- I wouldn't expect that guy to turn bostic into willis.

The Chicago Bears announced Tuesday they have reached an agreement with Clint Hurtt to become the club’s outside linebackers coach.

Hurtt served the 2014 season on former head coach Marc Trestman’s staff as the team’s defensive line coach.

Users who are viewing this thread