What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

First IDP, advice please. (1 Viewer)

Fins4life

Footballguy
12 team league. Im trying to figure out what round to starting picking IDP players. Especially players like JJ Watt, Burfict, Lavonte David etc.

scoring system / roster

1qb

2rb

2wr

1te

1def

1flex wr/te/rb

1DL

1LB

1DB

1Dflex

standard scoring on offense 1 bonus pt for 40+TD

IDP

Tck 1pt

sck 2pt

TFL 1pt

int 3pt

assist .5

safety 2pt

that's a very shallow idp roster so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I actually was just listening to a ratcliffe pod where he mentioned drafting in a league that started 3 idp and he took them with his last 3 picks.

if you have some name guy you really love you might want to jump earlier than that, depending on how many deep sleeper offensive guys you like, but I wouldn't sweat it too much.

how many on your bench?

sorry, 9 bench. Think i should make the roster bigger like 2 dl, 2lb 2 db 1 dflex? Didnt want the draft to be to long. Or should i change to scoring to 1.5 per tackle .75 assist 3pt sack, 5 point int? Its our first idp league we want idp but dont want it to interfere with the first 5 or 6 rounds of the draft for sure, trying to ease into it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Standard scoring would still favor offense over IDP - so I would still rack up my offensive starters before dipping into the idp pool - but for the premiere IDP guys you may want to nab one after qb/rb1/rb2, wr1, wr2 and flex. So the earliest I would go is round 7 - more likely I would go even later than that.

Mr. Know-It-All said:
Standard scoring would still favor offense over IDP - so I would still rack up my offensive starters before dipping into the idp pool - but for the premiere IDP guys you may want to nab one after qb/rb1/rb2, wr1, wr2 and flex. So the earliest I would go is round 7 - more likely I would go even later than that.
that is waaayyyyyy too early --- don't listen to that guy just cuz of his name

basically, get all your late round offensive sleepers first.

I too just switched to my first IDP league. We just start any three IDP's. I have always heard linebacker is the position of IDP choice. Is that true?

I too just switched to my first IDP league. We just start any three IDP's. I have always heard linebacker is the position of IDP choice. Is that true?
depends on scoring.

if you get 20 points for a sack and 1 pt for a tackle, I'd take a de first

back to the op ---- how many guys drafted round 9 and later on here do you want on your team?

I'm using this draft dominator app and with our league settings it has watt going at 49....I'm aware that doesn't mean to draft him there but it makes me wonder a bit.

Hakeem nicks , mike Evans I'd take for sure, Russell Wilson Jeremy hill look ok. I'd take flyers on them if I had to.

Ok thank ya. I'll lay off till 9 or 10. If we change scoring to 1.5 tkl. .75ast kinda format that push elite idp guys to about round 7?

Ok thank ya. I'll lay off till 9 or 10. If we change scoring to 1.5 tkl. .75ast kinda format that push elite idp guys to about round 7?
no

the point is scarcity at position.

you don't play enough guys to make a dent in the available idp pool -- I could probably stream idp and do alright in a league like that

round 9 or 10 might be ok if you started twice as many idp

In your scoring LB will be the strongest IDP. Most teams will flex a LB. I agree with the above poster though that with such limited IDP starters you could wait to take them until you take all your offensive players except for the kicker. And use all or almost all your bench on offence. Plenty of IDPs will be left on the WW to grab when needed.

If your all new to IDP and prefer to keep draft short, you limited IDPs is fine for the first year. But Id hold a expansion draft before the 2nd year to expand to at least 6 or 7 IDP starters and bump the bench up a few spots as well.

I'd suggest to anybody doing this to go to your league site, or someplace like fftoday (and enter in your league scoring), pull up a ranking of whatever position from last year, and just look at the difference between #1 and #whatever will be a starter.

so, in your case maybe the 12th db, or 24th lb.

also, pretty much every year there's some stud idp dude who puts up elite production, but they can usually be had late, while reaching for them the following year doesn't pan out very well, and some other guy comes out of the weeds.

I think wilis, alonso, and kuechly were all rookies, so people ahead of the curve got them, as well as breakouts like jpp, quinn, watt, and probably even that one dude on minny had his big year when ppl were chasing jpp points, I think.

(oh yeah, jared allen)

anyway, if you put a little effort into it, listen to these most excellent idp podcasts, or maybe these, read this board a bit, etc, you should be able to find guys a little later who put up comparable production to the more obvious name brand guys.

although, church is probably going early and should repeat this year, so maybe jump on that guy if you want him, but don't sacrifice an offensive sleeper to do it.

I was a moreno guy last year --- got him for the buck or two in my auction league last year, but put him on the backburner in my main snake and let him slide, confident that he'd get ignored.

so, he kept sliding, and I kept hogging idp until I figured I better grab the guy --- well, one guy couldn't make the draft and I got sniped by his autodraft team.

that'll teach me.

edit ps

it's none of my business, but imo 3 or 4 idp is really pointless.

I'll listen to those tomorrow. Love anything football while I'm working thanks for the link. I'll prolly increase it to 2 2 2 1.

Yup u r right as rain about where to draft idp. Thanks for the help. We r gonna change it to 1/2 point ppr and league since no ones done it. We were gonna dolt the idp but everyone's wants to get their feet wet on it so we'll just leave it at 4 spots. It'll be a wash since everyone should have 4 idp studs.

Users who are viewing this thread